Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Data Graham posted:

It was spectacularly unfunny and tedious, enough so that TGUSA as we know it seemed watchable by comparison.

Hey now. I like TGUSA in its current format :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, but remember S1?

Remember?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, but remember S1?

Remember?

Remember Top Gear UK S1 with that fat used car salesman?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, but remember S1?

Remember?

Shhh. It's come a long way since then, I try not to think about S1.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

CornHolio posted:

Maybe Clarkson had enough of the "challenges" from the "producers"

Thinking about it, I bet it was over the cool wall.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Plot twist: Clarkson is the producer that Clarkson punched.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

T1g4h posted:

Shhh. It's come a long way since then, I try not to think about S1.

Didn't season 1 suddenly redeem itself right at the end with that Alaska special though? Then they realized they just had to get rid of all the studio bits and stick to challenges.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

Hey now. I like TGUSA in its current format :(

I also like TGUSA in its current format, you're not alone buddy

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

davebo posted:

Didn't season 1 suddenly redeem itself right at the end with that Alaska special though? Then they realized they just had to get rid of all the studio bits and stick to challenges.

Yea, that Alaska special owned and it was one of the few things they did that wasn't a pure copy of a TGUK episode's worth of challenges.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CornHolio posted:

I also like TGUSA in its current format, you're not alone buddy

Yeah it's quite good now, when is it coming back though?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

davebo posted:

That one, and a handful of other S1 episodes were genuinely pretty great. But yeah, that special is what made me a proper fan of TGUSA, it really turned the show around.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Replace Clarkson with Rowan Atkinson, problem solved.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Zeether posted:

Replace Clarkson with Rowan Atkinson Brian Blessed, problem solved.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Zeether posted:

Replace Clarkson with Rowan Atkinson Mr Bean. , problem solved.

would be so good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But then how would we hear the cars :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Relevant

Am I a terrible person for laughing at pretty much all of those?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
New host should be Adam from TGUS for maximum trolling effect.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

New host should be Adam from TGUS for maximum trolling effect.

He would actually do fine with May and Hammond. The best thing would be to swap him with Clarkson, so Clarkson has to suffer the awful dweebie guy and gets Tanner Foust smoking him every week.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

But then how would we hear the cars :(

Imagine Blessed's voice echoing around the Top Gear shed. Ears would be bleeding

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

With all the Thunderbirds references as of late they should just replace Clarkson with a supermarionette version of himself with a reasonably similar voice and an insatiable appetite for doing good deeds.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get Oz Clarke to join them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWZLIUaQ5fU&t=271

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

If he gets sacked and they replace him, they should do the show as if nothing ever happened.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

I've neither seen nor heard of that show. Are there decent things in Britain that never make it to BBC Canada, so they can show more old, lovely soap operas?

Take everything that PBS has ever shown that isn't about nature or children and there is a good chance it a BBC production.

It airs in North American in April, and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norvell is due this summer.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Grim Up North posted:

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse producer to the ground.

Came here to make a "some say..." post, but yours is much better. Mine only had ducks.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Alighieri posted:

I'm more interested in how it escalated and what it was over. From all I have seen on the TV of Clarkson he doesn't seem to get angry easily, but that's just on TV.

TG producer Andy wilman has a reputation as an angry man and very shouty.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

If he gets sacked and they replace him, they should do the show as if nothing ever happened.
No, they have to say he "died" and then go "Anyway..." or give a phony address like "Write to us at 'I'm A Better Presenter Than Clarkson Was', BBC, London..."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I can watch OZ and James get hammered for all eternity. :allears:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Most TV shows would be vastly improved if Brian Blessed replaced the lead.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Clarkson has Twittered

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
From his twitter/writing and general appearance he's been getting fitter, there is definite diminishing in his man-baby gut so the Fracas in Clarkcrackas was probably itching to start swinging.

Probably the Rose and sugar was keeping him docile - though, weren't the production crew usually pretty good.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Lol at Mays twitter

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

According to the most recent story I read about this, he punched a producer (not Wilman, another guy who's been on the show for 10 years) for the crime of not ordering catering for them after a late night of shooting in Newcastle.

I love this show and I don't want it to end, but if that's true (and given that it's a British paper there's a good chance it isn't) I don't understand how this is getting resolved soon. He punched a man who worked for him because he didn't provide dinner. That's not an action a rational man takes. He's got serious troubles if this is true, and he needs to drop his stupid persona if he has any chance of surviving it.

I kind of hope I'm wrong.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tricky Ed posted:

According to the most recent story I read about this, he punched a producer (not Wilman, another guy who's been on the show for 10 years) for the crime of not ordering catering for them after a late night of shooting in Newcastle.

I love this show and I don't want it to end, but if that's true (and given that it's a British paper there's a good chance it isn't) I don't understand how this is getting resolved soon. He punched a man who worked for him because he didn't provide dinner. That's not an action a rational man takes. He's got serious troubles if this is true, and he needs to drop his stupid persona if he has any chance of surviving it.

I kind of hope I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure getting heated after a long, stressful day happens and it's always the dumbest poo poo that is the last thing to set someone off. Clarkson isn't headed for a mental care ward.

If the story is true, he shouldn't have punched the guy, but I can understand being pissed about something like that.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Are the hundreds of millions of dollars and international franchies cranking out doctor-who-levels of money for the beeb allow for even more "Last chance this time clarkson for reals".

I dont want "The colbert report", "Top gear" and "The daily show" all to suddenly die in like a year of eachother :( What the hell will i watch?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope that's true because Jeremy Clarkson throwing hands because some dude would not provide burgers late at night is humorous.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Given Clarkson's temperament, it's all probably true (the mad ferris-wheel-punching-hootenanny, that is), but what are the chances this is all a viral stunt?

I'll give it 99-1 that it isn't, but I like to save old pieces of string too, so long as they're warm and fuzzy and fit around the right places.

More power, old chap. More power.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
There's a certain amusement watching the BBC's handwringing over every vaguely controversial thing Clarkson says or does (not to downplay what may have gone on here), when they're the same organisation that let child rapists have free reign of the place for like 40 years.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

kris_b posted:

There's a certain amusement watching the BBC's handwringing over every vaguely controversial thing Clarkson says or does (not to downplay what may have gone on here), when they're the same organisation that let child rapists have free reign of the place for like 40 years.
This really is the elephant in the room for me as well.

Oh well, it's one less thing for me to justify giving BBC my license fee. They can't even give me a full season of Formula One anymore..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
There's already two or three op-ed pieces in the Guardian about how evil Clarkson should resign and shame on the BBC for employing him. They must have these articles pre-written and just fill in the blanks like they do with obituaries.