Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

How's about 5%?

Was better on simulator than device, where it wasn't really distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could you just commit like. 5 or 8% change then us simpletons could tweak it and play with it?

Edit: and yeah if I make a post and go back to my bookmarks the thread I posted in has an unread count of 1 with my post.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 11, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Could you just commit like. 5 or 8% change then us simpletons could tweak it and play with it?

Edit: and yeah if I make a post and go back to my bookmarks the thread I posted in has an unread count of 1 with my post.

I had a bug when I was testing a 10% reduction. Just pushed that now. Now I'm not sure it's enough of a difference, but it's certainly still legible.

base.less has a block for blockquote, play with the font-size rule as you please. I'm going to play with greying it a touch.

Edit: just pushed a lightening of the quoted text as well. I think I like it.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 12, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So messing around (didn't realize you were just using CSS, I'm an idiot), I think everything looks fine with .bbc-block set to font-size:82%, no #666. Changing everything to #666 just introduces more colors that I'm not into, and I think applying it to YOSPOS doesn't really work out that much either. That's just me though, I think if you hit a point where the font-size:82% makes quoted text look too small, you need to use the next font size up.

Disclaimer: This is all in simulator though so hard to tell how valid this is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

So messing around (didn't realize you were just using CSS, I'm an idiot), I think everything looks fine with .bbc-block set to font-size:82%, no #666. Changing everything to #666 just introduces more colors that I'm not into, and I think applying it to YOSPOS doesn't really work out that much either. That's just me though, I think if you hit a point where the font-size:82% makes quoted text look too small, you need to use the next font size up.

Disclaimer: This is all in simulator though so hard to tell how valid this is.

Oh, I forgot to do anything with YOSPOS, could find something analogous there I'm sure. Would it work better if the colour matched that of the left border for the blockquote?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

So I got this weird error just then:

It doesn't affect anything, just looks a bit odd.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ḭ̙͍̦̰̤͇̰ͫ̅̿̑̑t͉̪̪̯̖͈̝́̔'̯̎̂ͭ̑͋ͤ͛s͈̯̹̊̿̌ ͙̳̜̳ͧ̈ͣ̀ͭ̿͑n̩̘̩̘̉̋ȯ͇̰͍͓͖̰̩̺͆ͮͪ͆̀t̻͇̟̑ͨ̓ͪ͛̾ ̞̼̜̻͎̱͕͋͊́̆a̙̹̫̝̟̱̺̬͆̉ͬ͗͂ ̘̝̣̱́ͭ̾͒͂̚b͉̽̾̍̀̈́͆ȗ̯͇͎̭̮̄͗ͣ̍ḡ̲̞̗̬̙̮̈́͊̇̏ͤ̌.͇̝͖̐̿̽ͣ̍͛

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

So I see!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Beta test feedback:

"Quoted text in gray is really impossible to see!"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the quotation issue is just being over complicated. If it's set than post text than naturally there is going to be a font size that makes the post text readable but the quote text too small. I don't think it's something we need to address. I think if a user gets in that situation they'll realize they shouldn't reduce the font that much.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

The Dave posted:

I think the quotation issue is just being over complicated. If it's set than post text than naturally there is going to be a font size that makes the post text readable but the quote text too small. I don't think it's something we need to address. I think if a user gets in that situation they'll realize they shouldn't reduce the font that much.

Font scaling at 90%
Current:

Previous:

Also makes YOSPOS (more) terrible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that was a mistake. I'll revert it after breakfast if someone hasn't already. Sorry!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I already did. And tried the small font size. Waiting to see it in a test flight build.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What would people say about having the delete/save popup after canceling a post, like we do after edit? I often end up with a previous aborted post inserted into a subsequent reply, and deleting it is annoying.

(I'm also getting two copies of the quoted post sometimes, not sure why.)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Subjunctive posted:

What would people say about having the delete/save popup after canceling a post, like we do after edit? I often end up with a previous aborted post inserted into a subsequent reply, and deleting it is annoying.

I support this idea

On that note wouldn't it make more sense to change the 'Cancel' text to 'Close'? (At least for posts, maybe not edits)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's a little bit of an error with the coloring here:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Not sure if this has been reported yet but - occasionally the app crashes when trying to mark a post as read. Happened about 3 times so far, no discernible pattern.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm in too.

quote:

(I'm also getting two copies of the quoted post sometimes, not sure why.)

The way drafts currently work is hilariously primitive. Basically:

* Cancelling out of writing a post saves that screen.
* Tapping the compose button brings that screen back up.
* Quoting a post appends the post's BBcode to whatever saved compose screen there is (if any) then shows the compose screen.

So I'm guessing what's happening here with the two copies is tapping quote on the same post after having already done so. Which logically shouldn't quote the post again, but that's the logic as it currently sits.

101 posted:

On that note wouldn't it make more sense to change the 'Cancel' text to 'Close'? (At least for posts, maybe not edits)

I support this idea.

The Dave posted:

There's a little bit of an error with the coloring here:

Haha dunno what I was thinking here. I'm on it.

Kaethela posted:

Not sure if this has been reported yet but - occasionally the app crashes when trying to mark a post as read. Happened about 3 times so far, no discernible pattern.

Does it happen right away? Like as soon as you tap "mark as read"? Or does it happen a second or two later.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Does it happen right away? Like as soon as you tap "mark as read"? Or does it happen a second or two later.

It seems to happen about a second later. Roughly the same time it would actually mark the post read, it crashes instead.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaethela posted:

It seems to happen about a second later. Roughly the same time it would actually mark the post read, it crashes instead.

Alright cool, that's good to know.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Can you disable forced starting capital letters in BYOB?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Some profile messiness on the newest beta:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
my avatar preview is still showing my last avatar. it may or may not be because my last avatar was 5 different gang tags.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Can you disable forced starting capital letters in BYOB?

I think there's some weird interaction between autocapitalization and the [/..] button so maybe not? But I'll put it on the list.

uG posted:

my avatar preview is still showing my last avatar. it may or may not be because my last avatar was 5 different gang tags.

In your profile? Or beside your posts? Awful should update your avatar anytime you see one of your posts (if "show avatars" is on in your User Control Panel) or see your profile.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

In your profile? Or beside your posts?

My money's on "in the basement".

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Just got an Andoid phone and man this app is way better than the Android version.

Theirs has a better icon though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Get out.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

pokeyman posted:

I think there's some weird interaction between autocapitalization and the [/..] button so maybe not? But I'll put it on the list.

In your profile? Or beside your posts? Awful should update your avatar anytime you see one of your posts (if "show avatars" is on in your User Control Panel) or see your profile.

the avatar preview in the side menu

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

What's the interaction you're seeing? [/..] will accept the current autocorrect suggestion, but shouldn't interact with default capitalization at the beginning of sentences. At least, I haven't noticed it in YOSPOS, and I assume it'd be the same flag controlling it in the text view here.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The "previous posts" button isn't working for me in this thread on the latest beta. I haven't seen the issue in any other threads yet, but it's consistently not working here.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What's the interaction you're seeing? [/..] will accept the current autocorrect suggestion, but shouldn't interact with default capitalization at the beginning of sentences. At least, I haven't noticed it in YOSPOS, and I assume it'd be the same flag controlling it in the text view here.

I was referring to the bug you found with autocorrect. I assumed autocapitalization worked the same way. Happy to hear it's not the case.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

The "previous posts" button isn't working for me in this thread on the latest beta. I haven't seen the issue in any other threads yet, but it's consistently not working here.

Forgot to reply to this. I'm seeing the same thing very occasionally. I'll track it down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I was referring to the bug you found with autocorrect. I assumed autocapitalization worked the same way. Happy to hear it's not the case.

Ah, no, that was from trying to trump the replacement. The UITextView flag just controls whether shift gets auto-set after a period or such.

Just realized I still haven't made [/..] whitelisted on bbcode tag names yet, oops.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The app updated on my iPad today, but I don't see font-scaling there. I do with my own builds, not sure what's up.

Here's what's up: that iPad was way out of date, and updated to the current market version, which isn't the one with font-scaling. :downs:

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 22, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The app updated on my iPad today, but I don't see font-scaling there. I do with my own builds, not sure what's up.

2.0.8 is still waiting for review. Maybe it was late updating to 2.0.7?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Is there any chance we could get the long-press menu on links to show up from inside the Awful browser? I like to use that to see where a link goes but it only works if you're still in SA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

power crystals posted:

Is there any chance we could get the long-press menu on links to show up from inside the Awful browser? I like to use that to see where a link goes but it only works if you're still in SA.

I have a patch intended to do that, but which doesn't actually work yet. I'll try to pick it up on the weekend or next week and see where I can get.

Related: The Dave, Pokeyman, others: what would you say to a little link-arrow shown next to linked images, which could be used for link-longpress operations? An alternative would be adding those options to the image long-press menu, but tbh I'd like a visual cue that an image is a link because I often can't tell very easily.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So am I correct that the issue is not knowing when an image is being used as a link versus just an inline image?

I really have zero preference. A blue border would do the job but might be gaudy. Little blue link icon might do the trick, like the icon we use now for copy link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's the issue, and I was thinking of the link-share arrow exactly.

• Locked thread