Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Cat breaks her ankle, someone in chat says "KIM WOULD'VE WON BY NOW".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MisterBibs posted:

Cat breaks her ankle, someone in chat says "KIM WOULD'VE WON BY NOW".
AJJ is off writing Jewel-esque songs and waiting for her big Felicity break.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

AJJ is off writing Jewel-esque songs and waiting for her big Felicity break.

Touche.

Japan didn't have rules about using explosives near dogs back in the day, did they. Because I just saw a dog running between literal explosions.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
man the ohranger monster designs rule

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That ankle healed real fast

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

FilthyImp posted:

Samurai has Bulk take care of Skull's son (Spike) and teach him how to be a Power Ranger supporter or something.

It's actually a well written and fun part.

It's probably the only really enjoyable part of Samurai. Spike was aight but Bulk just pretty much killed it. Dude has pretty good comedy chops and did slapstick really well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, I totally forgot what the Zeo Megazord looked like.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The best Zeo zord was huge gently caress you Pyramid. My cousin had that toy and it was so big. Good times

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A good number of Japanese people freakin' loathed the lady who was cast as OhPink, Tamao Sato.

I don't understand the backstory on that one, as the only guy I knew who could watch episodes back when this stuff was new loved her because her boobs are big for an Asian chick on a kids show.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I just noticed that Ohranger in romanized in the credits as "O Rangers".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Adam looks so much better with short hair.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh god, this kid is a total dick and has a mullet. What the gently caress.

Also, why does this robot have a Scottish accent?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

A good number of Japanese people freakin' loathed the lady who was cast as OhPink, Tamao Sato.

I don't understand the backstory on that one, as the only guy I knew who could watch episodes back when this stuff was new loved her because her boobs are big for an Asian chick on a kids show.

quote:

At the time of Ohranger, Sato was a rising star, being a former gravure star and having a show on the Japanese version of MTV. Her growing popularity thanks to being seen in Sentai contrasted with her growing aggravated on her association with the genre and denouncing being on a kids show. She further caused problems with unreasonable demands with Toei, including desiring more air time in Chouriki Sentai Ohranger: Ole vs. Kakuranger; Toei acquiesced by giving her a special introduction in the special but she still denounced them. Her demands even became to the point that even Hiroshi Miyauchi, a longtime Sentai veteran, denounced her diva-like attitude. After Ohranger ended, Sato denounced her former job and stated she would not appear in another kid's show. This would end up being a bad choice due to being dropped from MTV at about the same time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This robot's bow tie looks like a PlayStation controller. Before it was turned, that is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I'd heard about that (in fact, I think she actually ended up getting more focus in Ohranger than the Red Ranger did). I'm guessing she mellowed out eventually seeing as she came back to reprise her role when Gokaiger rolled around.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I haven't been watching enough to see enough of the Sentai footage, but I've noticed that, at least in MMPR, the holsters for the sidearms were a lot floppier than the ones in the Sentai

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I'd heard about that (in fact, I think she actually ended up getting more focus in Ohranger than the Red Ranger did). I'm guessing she mellowed out eventually seeing as she came back to reprise her role when Gokaiger rolled around.

Everyone mellowed out, because the reason why Gokaiger had so many cameos was that it was after the earthquake iirc and they wanted to make goodwill for the kids.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tae posted:

It's funny looking at this season on how Adam become of the most requested MMPR rangers when he's done nothing to this point.

It's basically just that one episode of In Space, really. I don't know how he got that though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

It's basically just that one episode of In Space, really. I don't know how he got that though.

He's also the representative of MMPR in the Operation Overdrive crossover episode.

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011
Ohranger was pretty cool tbh

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not really Power Rangers specific, but I'd love to know what's going through actor's minds when they sign up for something like Power Rangers. There's a non-zero degree of stigma to being in it, and not a lot of those who get on the show do much afterwards. Sure, you can always make some scratch on the convention circles, but the mentality of "people only give a poo poo about me because of something I did ten/twenty years ago" is something they have to look forward to. Especially since it's a kid's show, and the randoms who want your autograph generally aren't kids, which must be weird.

It's just... I don't think I could do it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Not really Power Rangers specific, but I'd love to know what's going through actor's minds when they sign up for something like Power Rangers. There's a non-zero degree of stigma to being in it, and not a lot of those who get on the show do much afterwards. Sure, you can always make some scratch on the convention circles, but the mentality of "people only give a poo poo about me because of something I did ten/twenty years ago" is something they have to look forward to. Especially since it's a kid's show, and the randoms who want your autograph generally aren't kids, which must be weird.

Uh, that's not a thing nowadays. The yellow ranger from Jungle Fury was in a movie you might have heard in osmosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTJVRUb15YA

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

RPM Red and Yellow both managed to go on and get actual roles?

Also, I think a number of the NZ actors from the later seasons ended up with careers in NZ.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

In hindsight, it's hilarious that Rocky couldn't even be Tommy's sparring partner in non-ranger screentime.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

There's a non-zero degree of stigma to being in it, and not a lot of those who get on the show do much afterwards.

So, Star Trek.

Some people can act okay but are realistic about their chances of ever winning an Emmy. They just want the experience. The original rangers were screwed for the cash cow their seasons were, but they were also under 25 (Austin St John was 19 years old when he got the heave-ho) and signed onto something just for the experience.

Part of the reason JDF is seen as an egotist is because he tries to leverage his legacy as The Power Rangers Guy into things like cage fighting. When he starts trying to goad CM Punk into a cage match it just makes PR fans look even lower and sadder than wresting fans.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MisterBibs posted:

Amy Jo Johnson was on a Canadian police drama for several years.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This is a REALLY good episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Well a few of them like Amy Jo Johnson and Johnny Young Bosch did end up having some pretty succesful careers after their tenure on Power Rangers, and of course Austin St. John (which I just recently learned was actually a stage name, his real name is Jason Geiger) eventually becoming a real life hero so it's not all that bad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Largely speaking, Power Rangers is basically at the tier of Soap Opera and made for TV movies. Nothing especially big. As a career move, it's not insignificant, but it's not even an A or B list type of role, but it pays the bills and puts something on the IMDB page that isn't just a bit part in a primetime series or something.

After the move to New Zealand, however, it's a much bigger deal as it gives them SAG membership and connections to American production crews and other things they might not get if they stayed in the AUS/NZ entertainment arena.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Plus, there's way more to entertainment than acting. For example, David Yost moved on to being a producer after he got his life sorted out when he got away from Power Rangers. It's not as glorious as being on screen, but it's work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

Oh no Dennis Hopper ignited the bus

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ahahaha, the bus driver's on the "wrong" side.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
:psyduck: that whole bus sequence

also, what the gently caress is the ohranger zords? an eagle, lion and bull pull on two things?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

:psyduck: that whole bus sequence

also, what the gently caress is the ohranger zords? an eagle, lion and bull pull on two things?

and ohranger is a military themed sentai!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They just beat a train monster by sabotaging the tracks with a super attack

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Good thing you spared the energy for your finisher move on that stationary support column. You wouldn't have wanted that train to go wherever the tracks were going.

This episode is one of those that reminds you that Ohranger is a light hearted satire show. And chat has nothing but long strings of question marks and comments like "HIGH AF"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the responses, folks. I know some actors still get regular/noticable work, but I guess I'd be too hesitant to have my only memorable thing being a cheesy children's show.

e: :lol: GTFO, nerd, you've been here too long.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
finally this 35 year old man will graduate from high school

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

and ohranger is a military themed sentai!

It's a Military themed sentai using mecha that's initially themed around anthropological things(?). It's super bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Billy's so smart he managed to ACCIDENTALLY fulfill the diploma requirements in three years.

While being a superhero.