Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You are the worst or the unluckiest waiter ever. Just go work at a jiffy lube or something and save yourself the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Why was your book out of sight and not on you? I wouldn't let my money off my person unless it was going in the actual drawer. $73 is a lot to just lose, man. You definitely hosed some math somewhere or dropped some mad change on a random customer.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You are the worst or the unluckiest waiter ever. Just go work at a jiffy lube or something and save yourself the trouble.

Agreed. Or get into a kitchen, maybe local government work. :downs:

Thanks for the votes of confidence y'all. Next two weeks will be interesting. Still working a few more days I assume at the restaurant, then off Wednesday. Early morning physical and paperwork for the hospital, then off on vacation for a few days. Come back, and the next day I do all day orientation. And then I assume I'll be starting that week sometime at the hospital. I shouldn't be worried about minimal amounts of nicotine from vaping I assume? That'd be my only exceedingly small worry for the physical with the "no tobacco on campus" thing. Not like I'd vape while working or even on break :v:.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Dudes I didn't do anything... How are you going to flip this on me when the register was fine and even the manager didn't know what the gently caress happened?

It's all good but drat. I rang all my tips in. I did all the cash right.

And yeah I'm wearing an apron and keeping my book on me at all times from now on. Even though I have a keen eye on my cash and it was alright the whole night.

We don't even touch the register. Only Bartender does to break change.

Who loving knows. :shrug:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Agreed. Or get into a kitchen, maybe local government work. :downs:

Thanks for the votes of confidence y'all. Next two weeks will be interesting. Still working a few more days I assume at the restaurant, then off Wednesday. Early morning physical and paperwork for the hospital, then off on vacation for a few days. Come back, and the next day I do all day orientation. And then I assume I'll be starting that week sometime at the hospital. I shouldn't be worried about minimal amounts of nicotine from vaping I assume? That'd be my only exceedingly small worry for the physical with the "no tobacco on campus" thing. Not like I'd vape while working or even on break :v:.

They aren't going to check for nicotine use homie. Just out of curiosity, is this your first job that entails a physical and drug test and all that jazz?

amhd, have you considered ever going down into the corner, clicking the question mark, and then just scrolling through your posts? It's a wild ride man.

E: I followed my own advice and I am a poo poo poster that keeps getting worse.

Secret Spoon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 2, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Should have gave it to Lynch on the 1 bro.

Sorry that was very unlucky.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Should have gave it to Lynch on the 1 bro.

Sorry that was very unlucky.

:iceburn:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The best part of my night, was going to the bar right next door and giving my poo poo story to this hot Redhead who works bar.

She bought me a Jameson shot and we talked. Said we should go get drinks sometime.

OK!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secret Spoon posted:

They aren't going to check for nicotine use homie. Just out of curiosity, is this your first job that entails a physical and drug test and all that jazz?

Physical, yes. Drug test, no. I've worked retail :v:. I just wasn't gaping until this last year so it was never an issue before. I go from being a good innocent kid to getting a tattoo and starting to vape when I hit 28. I was just assuaging the one minor fear that I doubted would've been an issue.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The best part of my night, was going to the bar right next door and giving my poo poo story to this hot Redhead who works bar.

She bought me a Jameson shot and we talked. Said we should go get drinks sometime.

OK!

I have finally concluded that you really aren't trolling, and are actually just an idiot. :(

I'm sorry man.

Go forth and find your $73 dollars, because if the orders were rang in correctly, and you didn't give incorrect change, obviously something is amiss. That's not the kind of thing you just shrug off and go home and post on the internet about, that's like - this gets resolved now, because there has to be an explanation for it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Physical, yes. Drug test, no. I've worked retail :v:. I just wasn't gaping until this last year so it was never an issue before. I go from being a good innocent kid to getting a tattoo and starting to vape when I hit 28. I was just assuaging the one minor fear that I doubted would've been an issue.

:allears: you are totes adorbs.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boyfriend thinks so, yes :3:. Maybe it's just his mild neurotic nature rubbing off on me. Dumb paranoia or something like that.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

I have finally concluded that you really aren't trolling, and are actually just an idiot. :(

I'm sorry man.

Go forth and find your $73 dollars, because if the orders were rang in correctly, and you didn't give incorrect change, obviously something is amiss. That's not the kind of thing you just shrug off and go home and post on the internet about, that's like - this gets resolved now, because there has to be an explanation for it.

The gently caress you want me to do? Make a scene over $75? The job is great. poo poo happens. Whatever.

You are actually being the troll and its quite hilarious.

Lmao I'm just posting on a thread that's meant for this kind of poo poo?!?!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The gently caress you want me to do? Make a scene over $75?

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The gently caress you want me to do? Make a scene over $75? The job is great. poo poo happens. Whatever.

You are actually being the troll and its quite hilarious.

Lmao I'm just posting on a thread that's meant for this kind of poo poo?!?!

Hey bro, can I borrow $75? I'm good for it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Shooting Blanks posted:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, but you kitchen guys are loving nuts and I don't trust any of you....

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm not a kitchen guy, see user title.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I dont know about you but a pretty big reason I go to work is to get paid.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The past few mornings I've woken up after a full night's sleep dead tired because my brain is making me do very mentally-taxing yet nonsensical kitchen work in my dreams. Is this why so many in the industry are alcoholics/addicts? I'm not much of a drinker but I'm willing to step it up if it will make my brain shut the gently caress up for a few hours. :psyduck:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the sign for me that it was time to step out of late-night service work was getting home at 3am and being unable to sleep past 8 or 9am due to stress dreams (and light, but eventually you get over the embarrassment of looking like a prick in a sleeping mask and earplugs if it means more than 4 hours sleep).

New job? I always found the working dreams started for a new gig after about a month and lasted for a week or so then hosed off. Otherwise maybe it's time to think about getting out.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I found that every waiter has had some variation of this dream:

Being sat over and over and not being able to wait on your tables. I haven't had that dream since early January, when I worked every day in November, December, and January. Excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years day of course.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
when I was bartending it was a neverending whiteout with everything running out at once - kegs going dry, everything on the well has less than an ounce, someone didn't stock the beer fridge, no more fruit, and tickets just keep-on-a-printin

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

JawKnee posted:

when I was bartending it was a neverending whiteout with everything running out at once - kegs going dry, everything on the well has less than an ounce, someone didn't stock the beer fridge, no more fruit, and tickets just keep-on-a-printin

Uggg, I had a dream when I worked the line for a few months where tickets just nonstop printed and I ran out of board space and chef never told me what he needed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

New-ish, about three months now. The work isn't stressful by any means, I've just been having a lot of it lately (about 55 hours last week) for various reasons and usually in the form of surprise 12 hour lunch-to-close shifts. Now I'm half-waking in the middle of the night thinking "I need to do this, this, and this... wait, no I loving don't because that's nonsense and isn't real. :arghfist::sigh:"

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Sooooo one of the managers let it slip that our most recent part-time hires are making more than we did when we started 4-7 months ago and, in fact, more than we are making now. More than I am making as an overtimer who has the longest tenure on nights and weekends (:dance:) and more than the other full-timer who has been waiting a month and a half for their initial post-probationary raise. We're apparently going to get our raises starting with the checks we're getting tomorrow but we have heard absolutely nothing about it beyond rumors until tonight. The more I think about it, the higher the likelihood that rear end in a top hat is making more than me since he's a rehire. And it's galling to say the least.
The other FTer walked out pissed after we found out and they're going on vacation after tomorrow night :ohdear: which also means I'm probably opeclosing Sunday :negative:

Republicans posted:

Really? All I remember from those times is how much I wanted to die going in every Saturday morning on maybe four hours of sleep to prepare massive amounts of food for both the restaurant and caterings for over twelve hours. Sure it toughened me up and lead to much better jobs later but god drat I don't miss that poo poo for a second.
Yeah, really. And that sounds like heaven to me compared to slinging 2nd-tier bar food 6 nights a week. I genuinely love doing thankless hard work in as dire of an environment as possible. Case in point: tonight when the line slowed to a crawl I scraped months/years of grease off the fryers in lieu of taking infinite smoke breaks or just taking a load off in general. I have a sickness.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I love working 16 hour shifts and then going and getting tanked at a bar watching my buddies play music and drinking at their house until 5 am. Tomorrow I may not open for lunch in time. And no one can fire me because I own this bitch.

I'm not going to lie I will be there in 4 hours wondering why I'm so loving stupid but for now WHHEEEEEE!!!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

OK!

Is this going to turn into another super annoying mod challenge?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

On a different note -- I'm spending a week in SF the last week of July.. any recommendations or hookups?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Turkeybone posted:

Is this going to turn into another super annoying mod challenge?

Hope springs eternal. :allears:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

On a different note -- I'm spending a week in SF the last week of July.. any recommendations or hookups?

Where do you want to go?

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

...I haven't had that dream since early January, when I worked every day in November, December, and January. Excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years day of course.

you get holidays off?
:wtf:

Turkeybone posted:

looking for san fran hookups. hmmm...

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

I just spent a weekend in SF. It's awesome.

Go to Washington Park. Have fun.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Sadly I've never been to California before, we're staying at a hotel in Union Square. I'll definitely bust my in-n-out cherry, and I prefer the local solid places instead of touristy things. One day we'll spend in Napa. I know we used to have a dude who was at bouchon out there, not sure if there are any goons that way these days.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Turkeybone posted:

Sadly I've never been to California before, we're staying at a hotel in Union Square. I'll definitely bust my in-n-out cherry, and I prefer the local solid places instead of touristy things. One day we'll spend in Napa. I know we used to have a dude who was at bouchon out there, not sure if there are any goons that way these days.

I think BABBYS is bartending out there again, dunno who else is still in the Bay Area.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

I went to Napa recently, was surprisingly awesome. Don't be afraid to talk to people, and tell them you're in the industry and in to wine. The town is apparently *full* of people who are trying to do cool poo poo, and they know eachother.

I ordered a really interesting looking bottle of wine (a gamling & mcduck cab franc) from the sommelier at this restaurant we went too, and next thing I knew the chef came out and was like 'yeah that's awesome you ordered this bottle of wine , we just put it on the menu, and I'm friends with the wine maker, he's this 35 year old guy doing blah blah blah, let me give you his number he'd probably show you around his place', so we called this dude and he was like 'yeah I'm really busy, can't meet you until after work, why don't you just come by my place and I'll open some bottles for you.

0_0 lol how does that even happen. so we went by his house and chatted for a couple hours, and he gave us the names of all these other people we should ring up / restaurants to visit. it was completely awesome, and a lesson in just letting poo poo happen and being up for whatever. #budlightupforwhatever

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

twotimer posted:

you get holidays off?
:wtf:

looking for san fran hookups. hmmm...

Literally only those three.

E:^^ that's so awesome :). I'm jealous. Like super jealous.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

Let's go drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Okay. Do you need places to be family-friendly? Or is debauchery okay? Drinking bars or cocktails? What sorts of food do you like? General price range? Is there anywhere you're really wanting to get into? If you can't get a res, I can make some calls.

I work in SF, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get you into my restaurant to eat, (I'm pretty sure we've already released all our tickets through August :/) but could probably sneak you in for cocktails if you wanted to have some drinks and watch service. It's entertaining.

Union Square specifically, I'd say first off, do NOT go to Aveline or the European, their kitchen is loving filthy and they have really low standards. BDK across the way is much better (really fantastic cocktails, and Kevin is the king of hospitality.) and the food is unpretentious. Monsieur Benjamin has been hit or miss for me personally, but a lot of my cooks really like it and it is open quite late. Kin Khao is supposed to be really incredible "authentic" Thai, but the owner is a loving nut and we don't get along so I haven't been. Rave reviews on the food though. Stookeys Club Moderne is a really beautiful bar. If you show up at 5pm to get in line, State Bird Provisions is a really great experience, bring beer for the kitchen and they will style you out. Cadence should be open by then, it will be good. The twitter building has a lot of new places just about to open in it as well. I'd say skip Saison, maybe do bar snacks at Alta but don't bother for a full meal, DO go to Mourad. I like it even more than Aziza and that building is just goddamned gorgeous. Cockscomb is... okay. I miss Incanto :/ but if you really want to eat a lot of meat it's good. Liholiho Yacht Club is truly fantastic. The Interval at Long Now is also a must-go for cocktails.

If you head over to Jackson Square/North Beach, hit Cotogna, Trestle or Chubby Noodle for food. 15 Romolo for brunch is a must for Industry folks and you'll probably see my hungover rear end there on Sunday. Skip Tosca, skip Devil's Acre, skip Comstock Saloon. Do go to Sodini's, Gino & Carlo's, Tony Niks, The Saloon, Specs and Golden Boy Pizza.

How much do you want to travel within the city? Car?

As for Napa, yeah, just talk to people. Bouchon is easy to get into. I actually prefer the Sonoma/Sonoma County wine country to Napa but I can still recommend some spots. Goose and Gander is a must.

E: Are you interested in Oakland/Berkeley/other than central SF?

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread