Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Well. Another smashing good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really like how Shigaraki despises Deku and Stain for having ideals stemming from All Might and then it turns out his motivation is just as focused around All Might as theirs. It's interesting.

I'm glad I finally have a reason to like Shigaraki.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I like that Shigaraki is still wrong because he's a big idiot baby who hates everything, even if he's still gotten his spirit back.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
2 things I appreciate about these two chapters. First, everything is all about All Might. He's the most well known, biggest deal around. Everyone knows All Might. He's the central figure of this world of heroes and villains, on both sides. Narratively, shonen manga have had a history of making a single character the center of attention who solves everyone else's problems for them, and this isn't always good storytelling. However, the fact that this is an in-universe thing rather than a story crutch make it a lot better. Plus, he's not the main character. We're following a student and one of the many people who look up to All Might. That and he's on the verge of retirement (or more likely, a dramatic and tragic death) already. The world apparently rests so much on All Might that it's going to have an enormous impact either way.

Second, I like that we've seen Shigaraki's face. It wasn't exactly with NO fanfare, because this was a pretty tense situation for Midoriya and Uraraka, but it was mostly a low-key reveal, which makes it less of a big deal later. Characters with parts of their face hidden tend to get "unmasked" in some big climactic reveal, but this wasn't really anything like that. Now we know for sure what his Quirk is, and we know what the guy looks like under the hands, so it won't be treated like some ongoing mystery (by the characters OR the fans) later on.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 1, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

He looks like something from Attack On Titan.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

He looks like something from Attack On Titan.

I like that Attack on Titan is now apparently the gold standard for creepy faces. What used to be the gold standard before AoT, though?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

I like that Attack on Titan is now apparently the gold standard for creepy faces. What used to be the gold standard before AoT, though?

Itou Junji?
The... old style dude? Umeko... something?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Now we know for sure what his Quirk is, and we know what the guy looks like under the hands, so it won't be treated like some ongoing mystery (by the characters OR the fans) later on.

Until we get the info box, I withhold judgement.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

It's like his face gets more and more hosed up looking in every panel.

Also ahahaha, talking to the villain having the literal opposite effect to what it always does in shounen. This manga owns.

Horikoshi seems back on his game artwise now.

Was he off his game? Horikoshi's art rules.

I liked Shigaraki trying to play casual and walk away at the end and still managing to look creepy as gently caress. Kid is messed up.

Also Uraraka spinning in place trying to figure out what to do was adorbs. You don't know anything, Aoyama!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

2 things I appreciate about these two chapters. First, everything is all about All Might. He's the most well known, biggest deal around. Everyone knows All Might. He's the central figure of this world of heroes and villains, on both sides. Narratively, shonen manga have had a history of making a single character the center of attention who solves everyone else's problems for them, and this isn't always good storytelling. However, the fact that this is an in-universe thing rather than a story crutch make it a lot better. Plus, he's not the main character. We're following a student and one of the many people who look up to All Might. That and he's on the verge of retirement (or more likely, a dramatic and tragic death) already. The world apparently rests so much on All Might that it's going to have an enormous impact either way.

Second, I like that we've seen Shigaraki's face. It wasn't exactly with NO fanfare, because this was a pretty tense situation for Midoriya and Uraraka, but it was mostly a low-key reveal, which makes it less of a big deal later. Characters with parts of their face hidden tend to get "unmasked" in some big climactic reveal, but this wasn't really anything like that. Now we know for sure what his Quirk is, and we know what the guy looks like under the hands, so it won't be treated like some ongoing mystery (by the characters OR the fans) later on.

Yeah, people've compared All Might to Dr. Manhattan before, and it's pretty apt; he didn't bring about a scientific revolution or anything, but his existence in and of itself is a massive deterrent and warps society in a big way. Which means that, if/when he dies, however it happens (Shigaraki or one of AfO's goons doing it is a possibility, but so is him just succumbing to his condition now that OfA's being passed on), things should really, really change.

Unrelated, my favorite little detail in this was the Hero Killer masks in what's either a costume shop or a Hot Topic-equivalent. That's pretty great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Speaking of those hero killer masks. It is hella hosed up that those are apparently being sold somewhere. You'd think there'd be huge protests or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Speaking of those hero killer masks. It is hella hosed up that those are apparently being sold somewhere. You'd think there'd be huge protests or something.

I can imagine Ilda complaining at least.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean Iida sure, but Stain was a serial killer yeah? Shouldn't the authorities be up in arms about this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They sell masks of a guy who was behind a terrorist plot to blow up Parliament just fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can imagine Ilda complaining at least.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons Iida is cool and this series is good. "So what if I got owned and called out for my hypocrisy? Yeah he was right and I was loving up, but he is still on the whole wrong."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I love how he has no loving idea what to do with his arms.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The look on Uraraka's face at "Let him... go?" made it seem like something had temporarily snapped inside her and she was contemplating doing something violent if Midoriya hadn't stopped her. That whole scene was filled with incredible tension from the beginning to the end, especially the part where Shigaraki went in his own thoughts and started choking Midoriya without even thinking. What an incredibly, incredibly dark scene, for a shounen manga!!

Also a great detail was how Uraraka called 911 at the end asking for a hero to come. She knows she's still in school and that a real live villain is something you need to call the professionals for. Good job!! :3:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

gnome7 posted:

His ability might not need him to keep in contact, if I am reading it right. It might be like some kind of fast-acting rot - once it starts working, it keeps doing its thing until what he touched has turned to dust.

I think this is probable. If he had to keep hold of Midoriya the whole time he'd get pulverised by OfA before he could do much.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shigaraki keeps his hands in his pockets.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's so lazy when artists just draw people with hands in their pockets.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Heh heh heh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

*facepalm*

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Iida sure, but Stain was a serial killer yeah? Shouldn't the authorities be up in arms about this.

If you look at the sign, it's clearly the Hero Beater. I have no clue who you seem to be associating the merch with, but there's clearly no real Hero Beater.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was he off his game? Horikoshi's art rules.
In some of the recent chapters IMO his art was kinda off- he has also had to correct weird mistakes in a handful of panels recently (which he apologized for on Twitter which kinda made me feel bad). He did lose his main assistant I think to the Smash 4-Koma side thing though IIRC.

DrSunshine posted:

The look on Uraraka's face at "Let him... go?" made it seem like something had temporarily snapped inside her and she was contemplating doing something violent if Midoriya hadn't stopped her. That whole scene was filled with incredible tension from the beginning to the end, especially the part where Shigaraki went in his own thoughts and started choking Midoriya without even thinking. What an incredibly, incredibly dark scene, for a shounen manga!!

Also a great detail was how Uraraka called 911 at the end asking for a hero to come. She knows she's still in school and that a real live villain is something you need to call the professionals for. Good job!! :3:

I think she was less about to snap and more terrified this weirdo seemed to be holding her friend hostage. She just had enough guts to say something but was smart enough not to make a scene. That was a look of "I don't know what the gently caress is going on but whatever this is right here it's really bad".

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Shigaraki keeps his hands in his pockets.

Possibly/probably, but keep in mind he's wearing one of those hoodies with the big center pockets you can reach into/through from either side. Definitely an awkward angle for that given the image, but doable.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe it's one of his extra hands? His father's possibly?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nine of Eight posted:

Maybe it's one of his extra hands? His father's possibly?

that is the joke.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

:golfclap:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just according to keikaku

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: I was stupid. Sorry.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Welp it happened, Mangstream picked it up.

http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/070/3095/1

Spoilers: Mangstream's translation kinda sucks. Fantastic chapter otherwise.

Actual Spoilers: Oh hey, Shinsou maybe getting a transfer being very vaguely implied?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, That bit with Shinsou was really interesting.

Also drat that felt like 2-3 chapters. So many good faces and pages, I don't even know where to start.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love the running gag of Mono being a dick and Kendou knocking him out and dragging him away.

Also, a look at more class B members!!!! They're cute. :3:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Personalities" is a really, really bad translation for quirks/powers/whatever. The translation in general feels a bit... Off. It's not egregiously grammatically incorrect or anything, but some of the characters' voices feel wrong, and there are moments, like the little flashback to Shigaraki's dialogue from the last chapter, that, despite being technically correct, are also really, really wrong. Hopefully this improves over time, because it doesn't seem like FA's going to be able to keep up the pace.

Fabricated posted:

Actual Spoilers: Oh hey, Shinsou maybe getting a transfer being very vaguely implied?

I noticed that too. I hope that's the case.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Loving this so far, it's one test to the next! I'm really getting an early Naruto / Hunter Exam feel from this.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Welp it happened, Mangstream picked it up.

http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/070/3095/1

Spoilers: Mangstream's translation kinda sucks. Fantastic chapter otherwise.

In the comments section some dude from Fallen angel translations is throwing a tantrum because MS picked this up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GoldenPrice posted:

In the comments section some dude from Fallen angel translations is throwing a tantrum because MS picked this up.

I probably would too.

FA is way better than MS from what I've seen of this chapter.

Back to the chapter...

Fuckin' love the expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FA should just keep translating it anyway since despite everything I've been annoyed about with their translation Mangastream's seems like absolute poo poo.