Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, there's a Trials game for a buck, but it looks like maybe it's not as good as the other ones? I'll probably just hold out to get a decent price on Trials HD which I seem to remember being "the good one."

I haven't played it, but all indications are that it's a poor ripoff of a real Trials game and lacks the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So it looks like STYX: Master of Shadows auto-minimizes on startup and will not un-minimize, meaning the game is completely unplayable for me.

Anybody else had this issue?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Stan Taylor posted:

Browsing through the cheap games I came across this Judge Dredd game that looks kind of fun actually. Anyone play it? It looks like it has local splitscreen, which is a huge selling point for me.

It's old and it feels old, like Unreal/Deus Ex old. I haven't tried the multiplayer but the singleplayer is fun and has some neat mechanics with your pistol's different modes and judging perps. Definitely worth a dollar.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
If someone wants Dust: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=GwdupFBrdNErRqYD

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gracias!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

poo poo, no more daily deals now? :smith:

It looked to be a pretty good sale overall, just not so much for what I was looking for. FFVII did finally go on a daily deal, but for a couple of bucks more than it did in the Summer Sale. The rest of my wishlist either had no sale at all or fell well short of previous lows.

Now that I lived through my first obsessively-checking-twice-a-day steam sale, I shall be ready to go all :black101: on Summer Sale 2015.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gonna throw out a bit of a recommendation for really, really solid singleplayer FPS games. I know I'm not the only person out there that likes them.

Raven Software are pretty much the masters of making underappreciated but solid titles that are pretty loving fun.

The two most notable ones are Wolfenstein (which isn't on the steam store anymore, which is a shame) and Singularity.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42670/

Singularity is a really, really cool game. You basically control the powers of time while you explore an abandoned research island that has a troubled past and possibly an even more troubled future.

The guns are really, really solid (including things like remote controlled sniper rifles, way before Bulletstorm) and other neat things. The main draw is the TMD, though, which basically allows you to gently caress up enemies in really cool ways. You can freeze time, allowing you to pull off incredible killstreaks, or send the enemies back and forth in time so you can turn them into dust from aging them a million years, or basically completely wipe them out from time completely by insuring they're never actually born.

It's sort of hard to describe, but it takes the best aspects of various games (Bioshock, Half-Life, FEAR etc.) and sort of mashes them together in a neat way. It also has some incredibly well thought-out endings.

If you've got some cash to spare and want to get something good and fun that you might not have known about before, Singularity is a pretty good bet.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm sure this has already been asked, but...

With Dawn of Discovery (Anno), Venice is just an add on, right? So you play the base game first, then Venice? Or does Venice add something to the base game, making the base game obsolete?

Thanks!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got Singularity for 7.50 in a Steam sale like 3 or 4 years ago, it's too bad Activision decided afterward that their moderately good 4 hour B tier campy rear end corridor shooter with some minor character progression ripped out of a more notable game is now a premium product that should never get a deep discount.

I actually have a major soft spot for Singularity but in 2014 it isn't worth 22 bucks. There's a million linear shooters out there, and a lot of them are a good deal longer than 4 hours.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pohl posted:

With Dawn of Discovery (Anno), Venice is just an add on, right? So you play the base game first, then Venice? Or does Venice add something to the base game, making the base game obsolete?

Thanks!

Venice adds various things, but it doesn't have a campaign/story mode (Which functions as a tutorial of sorts). The general suggestion is to play the campaign of Vanille DoD/1404 then switch to playing Venice from then on.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

God drat, Divinity: Original Sin is good. Like "I want to keep playing it but I also need to eat and bathe" good.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
This thread has slowed down considerably, so hopefully this doesn't cause too much chaos. I have spent the last week fixing up my basement (finally) from the flood (2 feet of water) I suffered in June. I have gone from studs to all the rooms painted but one. I'll start on the floors next week and millwork in about 3 weeks. Why do you care? Well I need some help designing my extra living room/game cave/den where dreams die. If you can draw me some funny plans of what I should put in there (30' x 12' room), you might just win a game from Steam! I've already spent a depressing amount of money getting things back to normal, so what's another $5-$10? I'll pick a winner in 8 hours or so at 11 PM CST.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Venice adds various things, but it doesn't have a campaign/story mode (Which functions as a tutorial of sorts). The general suggestion is to play the campaign of Vanille DoD/1404 then switch to playing Venice from then on.

Excellent. I kind of put off buying it because I don't need another game. But, I love those types of games and I've had it on my wish list forever (even before it was pulled and then re-added to Steam). You could probably say I'm really excited to finally own it. :circlefap:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just in case anyone else is like me and has had Silent Hill: Homecoming on their wishlist for 4 years, it's on sale at Nuuvem. Gives you a key that activates fine on Steam. The 14 Reals price is about $5.40. If you use scriptblock, for some reason you have to allow scripts globally to create your account, just allowing the site won't work. Yes, it's one of the weaker Silent Hill games, but I've had it wishlisted for literally over 4 years now without a decent sale. Usual asking price, when it rarely did go on sale, was 20 or at best 10 dollars on this ancient game. Konami :argh:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I just bought dark souls. ok bye

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just bought 7 days to die because I don't know. How much is there to do in the Long Dark and the Forest? Both of them seem really interesting.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So with all this haul, how good is IdleMaster? I haven't tried it myself, but a friend's antivirus popped when he tried to download it. is it just antivirus being odd, or has anyone had issues with it?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Serperoth posted:

So with all this haul, how good is IdleMaster? I haven't tried it myself, but a friend's antivirus popped when he tried to download it. is it just antivirus being odd, or has anyone had issues with it?

IdleMaster is good.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Serperoth posted:

My antivirus and windows security went crazy when I installed it, but I mean the source is public and you can compile it yourself if you suspect foul play. It didn't work for me for some reason, it got stuck on a refresh after 5 hours, and the game it was on said it only worked for half an hour on steam and got me two cards. But it's safe.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is -40% the lowest Civ Beyond Earth has been? Same question about the -50% on Borderlands Pre-Sequel.

I'm on the fence about both of these games and if there's suspicion they'll go even lower next sale I'll probably sit on my hands and wait it out.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Is -40% the lowest Civ Beyond Earth has been? Same question about the -50% on Borderlands Pre-Sequel.

I'm on the fence about both of these games and if there's suspicion they'll go even lower next sale I'll probably sit on my hands and wait it out.

They both just came out fairly recently. It's not hard to imagine them going on sale for more by the summer sale.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

BE was -50% on Amazon in the pre-winter sale. A difference of ~$4 from its current price.

And Pre-Sequel was -60% at GamesPlanet UK during the Christmas sales. A difference of ~$6 from its current price.

There is no suspicion that they will go lower next sale. It is probably 100% guaranteed.

You can easily find out answers like this in the future with http://www.enhancedsteam.com/

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks guys.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Best thing about Idlemaster is that you don't even have to download the games to get the cards. Its's voodoo magic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ernie. posted:

But it's safe.

Pretty much my concern. Thanks a lot for the answer, I think I'll be checking it out tomorrow. Appreciate it :)

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just in case anyone else is like me and has had Silent Hill: Homecoming on their wishlist for 4 years, it's on sale at Nuuvem. Gives you a key that activates fine on Steam. The 14 Reals price is about $5.40. If you use scriptblock, for some reason you have to allow scripts globally to create your account, just allowing the site won't work. Yes, it's one of the weaker Silent Hill games, but I've had it wishlisted for literally over 4 years now without a decent sale. Usual asking price, when it rarely did go on sale, was 20 or at best 10 dollars on this ancient game. Konami :argh:

Thanks for this. I have no issues paying 5bux for a silent hill game ever.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Be warned, if you don't have surround sound all sound comes through the right speaker/headphone speaker.

If you use headsets while playing games, this makes it 100% unplayable.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
I bought Lethal League from someone in the thread a little bit ago with an extra but I'm still looking for 2-3 more copies of the game if anyone else bought a 4-pack or something when it was a flash and needs to get rid of some extras.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/angryguy

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rookersh posted:

Be warned, if you don't have surround sound all sound comes through the right speaker/headphone speaker.

If you use headsets while playing games, this makes it 100% unplayable.

And that's not even the biggest issue with that garbage port. If you want to play that bad Silent Hill game do it on a console.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Anyone else finding it impossible to launch Transistor? Windows' event report is telling me it's an issue with kernelbase.dll, and all other games work fine. Windows 7.
I've tried every fix I've come across short of reinstalling Windows to no avail. :(

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Pohl posted:

Thanks!

You just have to install Venice, you can launch the base game from Venice. Just play the base game campaign until you learn how to play then jump into Venice, the campaign is not that good. Also there's an unofficial patch you should get that fixes some bugs and spelling mistakes and adds some QoL poo poo, i dont have a link handy though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I bought Watch Dogs in the sale and it is incredible and i like it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Freak Futanari posted:

I bought Watch Dogs in the sale and it is incredible and i like it.

you have devastatingly bad taste

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

If I played and loved Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (I'd say it is probably one of my favorite games I played this year), is it worth picking up the original or Bound by Blood, or have they not aged well? Along the same lines, does anyone have good recommendations for Dungeon of the Endless or Endless Legend? The reviews look solid for them and I think I might hop on them as last minute purchases.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Final Gemchat time:

Proving that once again Steam users are loving retarded and don't read anything, Gems are dropping yet again, most likely because users honestly believe their gems will evaporate and they want to recoup at least some of their money before 10am tomorrow. I have no pity on them, but I will buy as many sacks as I can before they zoom back up at 10:01 as chicken littles are proven dumb as a sack of gems.

Another encouraging sight on the way to 25¢ bags is that 20,000 buy orders have evaporated, most likely from idiots cancelling their "buy 100 bags @ 3¢ each" orders as they see the normalization of bag value.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 2, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

I was really hoping Trials (Evo or Fusion) would go on daily. It turns out Amazon had Evo on sale for $5 less than a week ago :smith:
I just went in for Fusion.

I played so much of Trials Evolution on the 360 that I couldn't resist the full package. Trials Fusion is basically Trials, and so is great. If you like Trials, go for it, you won't be disappointed at the price.

Also, it's loving gorgeous and the graphics enhance the utter ridiculousness of the tracks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Everblight posted:

Final Gemchat time:

Proving that once again Steam users are loving retarded and don't read anything, Gems are dropping yet again, most likely because users honestly believe their gems will evaporate and they want to recoup at least some of their money before 10am tomorrow. I have no pity on them, but I will buy as many sacks as I can before they zoom back up at 10:01 as chicken littles are proven dumb as a sack of gems.

Another encouraging sight on the way to 25¢ bags is that 20,000 buy orders have evaporated, most likely from idiots cancelling their "buy 100 bags @ 3¢ each" orders as they see the normalization of bag value.

Cards seem to be dropping too, I had some $.25 stuff that has almost halved now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Agrias120 posted:

Along the same lines, does anyone have good recommendations for Dungeon of the Endless or Endless Legend? The reviews look solid for them and I think I might hop on them as last minute purchases.

They're both pretty different games but great in their respective genres.

Endless Legend is probably the best 4x of the last couple years. It's got a really rich world, extremely diverse factions that require different tactics and one of the best UIs I've seen in a game of its complexity (seriously the UI is brilliant once you figure out where everything is.) If you're a fan of the genre it's a no-brainer and just shows how disappointing Beyond Earth was in comparison. Like an idiot I bought both but I've only got an hour or two in BE and I'm approaching 50-60 in Endless Legend (which is low compared to a lot of friends, but gaming time was limited this fall.)

Dungeon of the Endless is a really unique beast. Like EL it's got a really nice control scheme and aesthetic. The gameplay itself though is a rather unique hybrid of tower defense and roguelike with an emphasis on how you use your resources. Essentially your squad (usually starts at 2 and can grow up to 4, permadeath is on in default mode) moves from room to room of a derelict ancient research facility but unlike most roguelikes time does not progress per step but only when you open doors. When this happens, any rooms not powered by your limited supply of dust (the game's energy resource) can spawn enemies. To counteract this, you have the ability to construct a variety of different modules within the dungeon using a fairly limited resource pool. There's also research and such, but I've probably said enough.

If you want to pick up both, you might want to grab the special editions of each as there's bonuses that cross over (especially for Dungeon as they add new "ships" which are essentially different play modes) which adds a ton of replayability to an already quite deep game.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Everblight posted:

Final Gemchat time:

I dunno if going from 50 cents a bag to 47 is a sign that the bottom is dropping out.

Also I can't imagine bags would ever get close to 25 cents. I mean, there are just way too many booster packs with cards that would sell for more than that. People don't notice a penny here or there, but they would eventually catch on to buying a bag of gems for a quarter and getting 50 cents worth of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Agrias120 posted:

If I played and loved Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (I'd say it is probably one of my favorite games I played this year), is it worth picking up the original or Bound by Blood, or have they not aged well? Along the same lines, does anyone have good recommendations for Dungeon of the Endless or Endless Legend? The reviews look solid for them and I think I might hop on them as last minute purchases.

I've played 21 hours of Dungeon of the Endless since it went on sale the first time, i.e. every minute of my free time. I'd never heard of it before goons convinced me to buy it. Strongly recommended.

I ended up buying Endless Legend mostly to add the bonus ship/character to Dungeon and haven't tried it yet. I'm not much of a 4x fan but people are hyping Legend like the second coming of 4x so maybe I'll like it.

Bound in Blood doesn't really feel anything like Gunslinger and there's no guarantee you'll like it because you like Gunslinger. It's a more serious story and more conventional FPS. I enjoyed it pretty well but the gameplay was standard last-gen FPS fare. However, the Wild West setting is woefully underused in games so that carried it for me. The cover system is very unique and a lot of goons love it; I thought it was okay but not "why haven't all subsequent games copied it?" good.

• Locked thread