Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

No hobbit captain? :mad:

Good stuff though, but I had to stop playing because lag issues got to me. But I heard in the recent dev q&a that they know what the lag problem is now, not easy or quick to fix though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

New expansion is up for preorder: https://www.lotro.com/expansions

$20 / $60 / $100

edit: SSG managed to break a bunch of Tokens and Tomes which are now stating "this skill can not be used". No SSG emote so I guess :soe:

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 21, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A new skirmish? I figured the skirmish system had been abandoned long ago. Unless it was and this is reviving it. I really liked some of the skirmish fights back in the Mirkwood days and doing 12 man tier 3 skirmishes could get more chaotic and challenging than most instance dungeon boss fights.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, pretty confident they abandoned them. The last one, if I'm reading the wiki right, was a level 65 skirmish, came out in maybe 2010 or so?

What's next, an epic battle?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am consistently impressed this game has enough life in it to support more expansions. This next one looks like some sort of interquel?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, pretty confident they abandoned them. The last one, if I'm reading the wiki right, was a level 65 skirmish, came out in maybe 2010 or so?

What's next, an epic battle?

Don't give them ideas.

The expansion is supposed to have some sort of changes or improvements to the not-skirmish skirmish things (name is escaping me), which is good because they were incredibly boring.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

fenix down posted:

I heard some people are real mad about the minstrel revamp.

Most of the people I've seen complaining are other DPS players that are now outmatched by a red-line minstrel. Especially burglars, which got hurt bad by the critical multiplier nerf and haven't had a compensatory across-the-board DPS buff like champions got.

Minstrel is one of my co-mains, so I just respecced blindly and am curious to see how it works. Here's hoping that whoever adopted ownership of the MinstrelBuff plugin can get it to work with the new anthems.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does LOTRO still work on Mac, just tech support is no longer provided?

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Just started this over the weekend. Really love the atmosphere of the game so far.

Are there any must have plug-ins to make the UI, etc not so dated?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Not to say it’s not dated, but as an extra heads up, you can press “Ctrl = \” to move around all the UI elements if that helps at all.

Also, and I learned this way too late, if you want to save your ui settings and apply them to other characters instead of fiddling with it for a long time on each new character, to save use “/ui layout save filename” (filename can be whatever), then load it in with “/ui layout load filename”.

Also, speaking of new stuff, Brawler is fantastic fun. It brings such joy to run through the shire just chucking beer steins at random creatures. Also feels great seeing a camp of evil dwarves or whatever, and just running in to start a bar brawl with them all.

One thing I’m a little sad about this game never adding is travel skills to everyone that’s not a Hunter. Those should not be class skills. I wouldn’t even mind terribly if they could be purchased account-wide for all characters, but buying milestone skills for each individual character feels like a bit much.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

HPanda posted:

Also, and I learned this way too late, if you want to save your ui settings and apply them to other characters instead of fiddling with it for a long time on each new character, to save use “/ui layout save filename” (filename can be whatever), then load it in with “/ui layout load filename”.
Oh godammit...

HPanda posted:

One thing I’m a little sad about this game never adding is travel skills to everyone that’s not a Hunter. Those should not be class skills. I wouldn’t even mind terribly if they could be purchased account-wide for all characters, but buying milestone skills for each individual character feels like a bit much.
Quick fix: play a warden! (no don't)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

ILL Machina posted:

Quick fix: play a warden! (no don't)

Warden is perfect if you just want to zip around exploring and soloing the landscape and epic quests. Boost something else if you want to group up for higher level stuff and are worried about their performance. Forced march and the ranged, melee and tank options are keeping me on mine for now while I play through the mid levels.

That said they should move the muster skills to the reputation rewards so anyone can get them if they put in the time.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Post level 60 or so Turbine/SSG did indeed give “Return To” skills pretty much everywhere as a rep reward. It’s only the early levels in Eriador that lack them.

Note that you can buy a port to Lala’s Market in Bree from one of the merchants there for something like 5 mithril tokens, if you need a Bree port. Pretty sure you get one at Kindred rep as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HPanda posted:

There are a bunch of travel skills you can unlock by maxing out your reputation with various factions, I think? Unless they stopped doing that after a certain point. I think you can buy something in the shop that lowers the cooldown of travel skills as well. if you want to go the :retrogames: route of more travel more often too.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Does LOTRO still work on Mac, just tech support is no longer provided?

They deprecated the mac client last month, but judging that it works pretty flawlessly on my Steam Deck, I think you could run it through wine or whatever.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 27, 2022

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cutedge posted:

it works pretty flawlessly on my Steam Deck

That sounds neat, can you tell me how you have your control scheme set up?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

That sounds neat, can you tell me how you have your control scheme set up?

I basically mapped it to work like how FFXIV works with the Cross Bar. So when you want to use an ability, you hold left trigger to make the dpad do 1-4 and the face buttons do 5-8. Then the right trigger does 9-12. The bumpers correspond to control and alt to make it so you can use 13-24 and 25-36. Then the trackpad is mouse and tapping that track pad is left click. The left trackpad does a radial menu that allows you to open things like inventory, deeds, etc and the middle of that menu also does right click. It works pretty well, I need to publish the configuration.

I'm trying to install LOTRO through PlayOnMac to see how that works just out of curiosity. Wine on mac is kind of a pain in the rear end to install because it requires homebrew. PlayOnMac is all UI driven.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cutedge posted:

They deprecated the mac client last month, but judging that it works pretty flawlessly on my Steam Deck, I think you could run it through wine or whatever.

This is what I ended up doing, it plays great on my Air M2.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cutedge posted:

It works pretty well, I need to publish the configuration.

If you do please post the name, I'd like to try it.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

"Crossbar-style controls (Steam Deck Friendly)"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
If you don't have Wildwood, Angle of Metheniel or Yondershire on your account, get them for free before the mini-expansion hits

https://www.lotro.com/news/lotro-free-questing-coupon-2022-en

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

All of those were included in the big anniversary giveaway too right?

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Angle and Yondershire were not included in it, so better redeem the code.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thank you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

If you don't have Wildwood, Angle of Metheniel or Yondershire on your account, get them for free before the mini-expansion hits

perfect timing for me

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

Awesome, ty for the heads up.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
As someone in it right now, Yondershire is very pleasant. It’s basically Shire-extension. I must have got it in some pack previously because I had no idea it existed until a quest giver sent me over there at level 17 (it’s 20-23, but brawlers solo content very well).

Also, think they might have gone a bit overboard on hobbit population. I get that they wanted to show off their new strategy of “if they’re background and not interactable, we can put in a huge number of hobbits!”, but…it does make me wonder just how many hobbits they’re cramming into each hobbit hole. The taverns could rightly be described as a swarm of hobbits.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I should mention that because I can't get LOTRO to run on my home PC I installed it at work temporarily so I could redeem the code.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks for the free code, got me to log in to my tourist character that I shoved the free level boosts from the last free stuff drop and I've just been touring around Forochel. Very chill (har har).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Are angle and yondershire included as part of lifetime/sub?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

HPanda posted:

As someone in it right now, Yondershire is very pleasant. It’s basically Shire-extension. I must have got it in some pack previously because I had no idea it existed until a quest giver sent me over there at level 17 (it’s 20-23, but brawlers solo content very well).

Also, think they might have gone a bit overboard on hobbit population. I get that they wanted to show off their new strategy of “if they’re background and not interactable, we can put in a huge number of hobbits!”, but…it does make me wonder just how many hobbits they’re cramming into each hobbit hole. The taverns could rightly be described as a swarm of hobbits.

I kinda liked it. Was surprised there was a more populated community than MD. Kinda like an Olympia vs Seattle / Albany vs NY situation. It plays like an overdeveloped suburb or a population center on the fringe of the shire or something.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cutedge posted:

Are angle and yondershire included as part of lifetime/sub?

Most likely not, since I got the notice for those two after using the code.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quill posted:

Angle and Yondershire were not included in it, so better redeem the code.

Guess I'll update the client and hop on to grab them then.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cutedge posted:

New expansion is up for preorder: https://www.lotro.com/expansions

$20 / $60 / $100

edit: SSG managed to break a bunch of Tokens and Tomes which are now stating "this skill can not be used". No SSG emote so I guess :soe:

Looking like some very interesting and good content for $20, disappointed that the $60 tier is now officially "do not buy this, don't you have $100 for 20 times more convenience and cosmetic perks?".

I would buy the $60 or even the $100 edition if they had gone back to epic battles and more instances and deleted missions from the game entirely. Or cut the number in half, double the quality, and hugely reduce the repetitive grind "wrapper quest" requirements.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Watching Rings of Power made me want to play a hobbitses game

So I'm in as Syrinel the Elf hunter. I claimed the code posted above (not sure yet what it's for) but if I want to drop $50-100 to maximize my leveling while being as lazy as elvenly possible, are there good bundles or other purchases I should make the cash shop?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you wanted to do just the book quests, can you do that and get to the level cap that way? Is this one of those MMOs nowadays, similar to how FFXIV works?

Syrinxx posted:

Yep, Rings of Power is what made me come back to LOTRO. I wanted a story that was better, and this game manages to surpass that show in quality by a landslide.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I said come in! posted:

If you wanted to do just the book quests, can you do that and get to the level cap that way? Is this one of those MMOs nowadays, similar to how FFXIV works?

You'll have to supplement with side quests but there are plenty and they are mostly easy. You can skip the group quests and anything that isn't a main quest that looks like a pain to do. At low levels you can take quests to kill a bunch of goblins or level by running pies and mail around the shire having to play keep away with hungry and nosey hobbits.

Syrinxx posted:

So I'm in as Syrinel the Elf hunter. I claimed the code posted above (not sure yet what it's for) but if I want to drop $50-100 to maximize my leveling while being as lazy as elvenly possible, are there good bundles or other purchases I should make the cash shop?

Best options on everything I'm about to mention is to wait for sales, they change up weekly and the expansion bundles often go on ridiculous sales around Black Friday. I'll also say that LOTRO is best experienced slow and chill and it is very easy to outlevel content especially now that they are adding even more low level areas. That said here's stuff you may find interesting.

Some of the most expensive expansion bundles come with xp accelerators (like an earring with stats that scale with you for a while) if you are in a hurry to level. But in that case they also come with level boosts just to skip to the more modern content.

I don't remember the store wording for it but you can get max riding speed for all characters on your account to use once they are out of the tutorial area around level 7ish.

Mithril coins are a convenience bordering on cheating. You can get 250 for 2000 lotro points (for reference its $35 usd for 3150 points and $60 for 6300). With those you can click a grey coin next to a quest turn in on your quest list to teleport right to the turn in. Normally thats dumb but the early expansions do have you crossing and recrossing large parts of the country for a 10 second conversation then back. It can save a LOT of time especially on alts repeating content. Returning to Rivendell during the epic quest storyline is especially bad though they've added more bind points and a horse route in there it looks like to speed it up a bit. The mithril coins are currency for other stuff too, there are vendors around when you start seeing mailboxes and horse routes and you can spend some to unlock some daily caps.

You can buy items like "hurried traveler" to reduce the cooldown on your milestone return points and other travel skills. There are 3 tiers of it and if you buy them all it goes from like an hour to 5 minutes. You can also get multiple spots so you can save some in central towns and one where you are currently questing. These are per character.

You can get a stone of the tortoise from the store for 100 coins. Wearing it turns off most if not all xp gain. The opposite of maximizing leveling but it lets you do content on level that you would otherwise overlevel by quite a bit if you are a completionist or explorer.

It's a free to play game so there's no shortage of stuff on the shop that you can decide if they are worth your money. I use deed accelerators sometimes because I'd rather kill 150 will o wisps than 300 to fill out my deed logs but its saner just not to bother and get your virtue xp and titles somewhere else.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

You'll still need to do side quests to level, they have sped it up quite a bit since release so you will easily outlevel areas if you do all of them, so you can just do enough to move onto the next zone if you want to mainly focus on the Epic quests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Even if the storyline quests can't get you to level cap there are skirmishes, instances, warbands, and all sorts of other sources of XP that will do it. I assume you need to own an expansion/quest pack to do an area's warbands but if not, some high level goon soloing the raid warbands will give a lower level person an absolute pile of xp (and they could just carry the person through instances for xp/gear too). I used a level 120 bear alt during the anniversary to kill the lvl 100ish oliphant raid warband in the area east of Osgiliath (far anoren?) for my captain and I think the xp reward was equal to several regular/group lvl 100 quests.

The last time I leveled a character (champion), getting to level 60 or 65 let them start using gear from level-scaled instances that was better than anything they found for the next 10 levels because stuff like Warg Pens dropped gear with the ideal might/vit/crit/etc distribution that you couldn't find elsewhere. Between Moria and Mirkwood quests I leveled enough that I was able to skip Isengard entirely on the character because gently caress Isengard so much. Once was more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Syrinxx posted:

I'd high-five a fellow lazy person, but that seems like effort. Buy all the Agility tome bundles, so you can fell anything that looks at you funny with a single arrow. A couple extra milestone skills and the travel cooldown reducers, so you can set them to your current quest hubs and jump back to them as needed; also useful for towns that you don't have hunter teleports for yet.