Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just installed Tasker and find that some of the good stuff requires root and/or the purchase of hacky companion apps that may or may not simulate user input. Mainly switching data on and off seemed interesting and is mentioned in a lot of examples online and is apparently a thing Google in particular doesn't want you to be able to do through a third party app at all. Turning the phone off is another one.

A bit miffed. But for a buck I'll keep it for the novelty of having it say "welcome home" when I get in WiFi range or whatever. I'll probably find something useful for it to do with what's possible later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You def need root for most of the good stuff, the plugins/companion apps usually work the way the say they will ime

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Maybe a question for the phone thread instead of app thread, but here goes:

Moto X 2014, it's weirdly picky about which corded earbuds' media controls will function (or even register) correctly. Not an issue on other phones I've tested, not an issue on a tablet with an older version of Android. I'd be happy even to have simple pause/play or call-answer functionality, is there some special Google-Moto screwup for cheap but featured headsets? I tried a couple of those media/headphone button apps without success.

Pretty sure the ones I'm using at the moment shipped with the Galaxy Nexus... but they still work as needed, so :marc:

edit for remembering week+ later:
Moto X, at least early ones, apparently shipped with weird headphone jack hardware. Cool to know, future victims can buy a bluetooth IEM set. Or a portable receiver/amp. Or literally a remote if they're insane, for remote controls.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 27, 2017

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

I now use Macrodroid rather than Tasker, but this is what I use it for:

Set my phone on vibrate within range of my work Wi-Fi, and turn the volume back to normal when I get home.

If my phone charge has fallen below 75%, give me a notification when it charges up to %100, and erase that notification when the power is unplugged, or if the notification has been up for more than ten minutes.

I also have a routine to pop up a screen notification when I unplug my phone from a line in cable if my bluetooth headset is not connected, but it's so unobtrusive that I forgot I still had it enabled.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ape Agitator posted:

Hoping to confirm I'm not crazy. I switched to Gboard from Swype because it had somehow become frustrating to use. Gboard has been okay except for this:

When I use Google's search app, the correction stripe above Gboard doesn't appear at all. There even appears to be space for it.

The correction stripe appears everywhere else, including right now typing into Awful.

Can anyone try Gboard in the Google search app to verify? Up to date Gboard and Google via Play Store on ATT Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0.1

This is probably because the Search app isn't setting the autocorrect hint on the text box, so the keyboard is basically being told not to show it. Probably because it has its own suggestions in the dropdown thing

If other keyboards are showing it they probably just force it all the time whatever the app recommends for that context

Gboard is being real dumb at correcting earlier words lately. When I typed "showing it they" up there it went back and turned it into if. Thanks?? It sneaks this poo poo in a lot and I don't proofread my excellent posts

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

So I've been using swype some more, is there a way to get rid of the swype button in the bottom left corner? That's really the only thing bugging me anymore cause I hit it on scene when I want to enter symbols

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

So I've been using swype some more, is there a way to get rid of the swype button in the bottom left corner? That's really the only thing bugging me anymore cause I hit it on scene when I want to enter symbols

swype sucks!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

swype sucks!

Lol nah

This was posted using Swype on my mobile device

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I scanned the QR code for Google Allo and that's the quickest response time I've ever seen to go from a reg page to basically what I see in-app. I had the image up on my PC, scanned it and before I could look up there was already a chat window displayed. Impressive, but it is recommending that I talk to some old old old friends who I really don't want to talk to, possibly ever again so it clearly has its pros and cons.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

swype sucks!

fuuuuug

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I tried using gboard, but I'm already back to Swype after maybe a day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Swype rules, gboard drools!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SwiftKey rules above all (for those who don't swipe to type).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This allow web client is the most hacked together poo poo ever.

Put your phone in airplane mode and see what happens to the web client.

Do it?

Yup, stops working.

The web client routes messages through your phone and fails if it can't.

In some ways, this is encouraging as it's a hint that they'll eventually unify this with SMS, but it's still dumb as poo poo for ones using the native client. Messages also don't carry between devices. Activate a new device, and new chats start, no history is retained. You also have to re-sync with the web client or they don't come through (because it's syncd only with your phone.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

This allow web client is the most hacked together poo poo ever.

Put your phone in airplane mode and see what happens to the web client.

Do it?

Yup, stops working.

The web client routes messages through your phone and fails if it can't.

It's exactly how the WhatsApp web client has always worked. Not saying it's ideal, but it's not a unique approach. They're trying to preserve that phone = account thing that WhatsApp also does. I think it's very intentional.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Uthor posted:

Is this something built into Tasker or is it Tasker launching a third party application that reads messages for you?

Can it do something like "call from [Insert name]" for phone calls?

Reading out loud is built in, but I had to use https://joaoapps.com/autonotification/ to detect and manage the notifications.

Yes, it can almost certainly say something like "call from [name]"

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Mogomra posted:

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

Vibrate mode when calendar has an entry entitled work
Turn on auto-rotate for browser and some other things
Speakerphone on when in call and no proximity sensor
No screen timeout when using keep for a shopping list

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

SwiftKey rules above all (for those who don't swipe to type).

Swiftkey works fine for swiping? It's figured out my messy handwriting pretty well.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Swiftkey works fine for swiping? It's figured out my messy handwriting pretty well.

I tap 75% of the time and swipe the other 25%, so SwiftKey's swiping works well enough for me, but I'll be the first to say that Swype/Gboard are better picks if swiping is your primary entry method. The only "issue" I have with SwiftKey is that it will correct "I'm" to "I" on a fairly regular basis. It doesn't do it every time and it only does it if I swiped the "I'm".

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Blue Train posted:

You cannot and there are also shortcuts that involve the Swype key.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Putting the address on the bottom in the latest chrome beta = Good.

Doing that but still putting the tab close button at the top = Google.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My muscle memory had me always swiping down on the address bar to get to the tab screen, then swiping to get rid of the tab. I can't do that anymore, and I loving hate this redesign.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mogomra posted:

I use it to turn off WiFi when I'm away from my home video tower because I hate AT&T auto connection to terrible McDs and Starbucks WiFi.

I also turn up brightness for video apps in the daytime, prevent a Prius I sometimes ride in from auto playing audio, and raise or lower audio for any app that's just not behaving.

Basically, if there's a repetitive issue and I can't fix it with options, I try Tasker.

Sigh, back to Swype. It seems to be the only one that forgives fatfingering the letter of a word. All the rest really locked into do that first letter. I will miss gboards space bar cursor control though. That's really nice. Plus I think it used grammar to help figure out following words.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
General question about Photos. I uploaded all my mom's photos from her computer a few weeks ago. The assistant hasn't done anything magical with them in that time. Does it only do stuff you upload from your phone or new uploads? Is there something I need to activate?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Uthor posted:

General question about Photos. I uploaded all my mom's photos from her computer a few weeks ago. The assistant hasn't done anything magical with them in that time. Does it only do stuff you upload from your phone or new uploads? Is there something I need to activate?

I was just discussing this with a group of people the other day and the conclusion was that assistant adds effects completely at random, no matter what you upload from. Sometimes it will do 3 photos in a week, sometimes you won't hear from it for months.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Scudworth posted:

I was just discussing this with a group of people the other day and the conclusion was that assistant adds effects completely at random, no matter what you upload from. Sometimes it will do 3 photos in a week, sometimes you won't hear from it for months.

Yeah, it is very strange. There must be some sort of algorithm that evaluates if the photo is good/interesting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

accipter posted:

Yeah, it is very strange. There must be some sort of algorithm that evaluates if the photo is good/interesting.

Since about half the most recent photos uploaded were taken by me with my "fancy" camera: :smith:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

accipter posted:

It almost always does sunsets, but also not always. And sometimes it turns them black n white. Nailed it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was at our datacenter and I was snapping some reference pictures of our racks. Google photos took the picture of our two oldest machines that I want to get rid of and applied a vintage filter.

It was like they were trolling me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Uthor posted:

There is an option to turn it on and off (assistant cards) but I seem to get most results from videos, maybe the occasional cat pic. Seems to mostly happen with new uploads, like it's throwing something together from what you did that day

You can always tell it to create something by hand though, which isn't as fun but you'll probably get more relevant movies and stuff. She'll probably enjoy being able to create her own with a few clicks if you show her how

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

baka kaba posted:

She'll probably enjoy being able to create her own with a few clicks if you show her how

We'll see. I just converted her from Picasa, which she only used to view photos. I'm hoping to get her to share things on her own instead of getting me to do it (granted, that usually meant resizing and resorting when using Picasa, not just hitting share).

Maybe I can show her how to reply to an email instead of just composing a new one while I'm at it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ape Agitator posted:

I use it to turn off WiFi when I'm away from my home video tower because I hate AT&T auto connection to terrible McDs and Starbucks WiFi.

You can just turn that "feature" off, no? I certainly did so on my 6P and a brief Google leads me to think that the ability to turn it off is a general Android feature.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Are there any podcast apps that allow you to search within a podcast for a particular episode by title and such?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

endolithic posted:

Are there any podcast apps that allow you to search within a podcast for a particular episode by title and such?

I know Podcast Addict does.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Manky posted:

I know Podcast Addict does.

Perfect, thank you!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hadn't seen this before -- Google Now kinda freaked me out with a card saying I had a credit card bill due tomorrow with an amount that didn't make any sense until I logged in to my bank account and noticed it was the amount I already paid like two months ago that would've been past due today. DO BETTER.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah it's okay about reporting bills, but not acknowledging payment emails.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hadn't seen this before -- Google Now kinda freaked me out with a card saying I had a credit card bill due tomorrow with an amount that didn't make any sense until I logged in to my bank account and noticed it was the amount I already paid like two months ago that would've been past due today. DO BETTER.

This freaks me out too

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yup, it does this all the time to me to the point of uselessness.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, it does this all the time to me to the point of uselessness.

My credit union was like that with Mint, when I tried it out of curiosity. Security measures would apparently only let Mint check in when the user enters their info manually, until the user accessed it by any other means (different network = secondary password recheck) so it was just a pointless snapshot of the month's start. And that was with a Mint-approved bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got the new Google Now update and while the main thing everyone is complaining about is that they inexplicably took away the swipe right to dismiss gesture the first thing that struck me was I got a card for some random news article about ISIS and with the new design there's a header with a little circular logo of the ISIS flag and the text "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" and it's so dispassionately professional it looks indistinguishable from like sponsored content. You'd never think about the presentation it if it was about Italy or Japan but that one stands out and I'd bet someone blacklists that from appearing in that fashion real quick.