Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the map in this game 100% static? I thought this, like most survival games, had a procedural generated map but after seeing a lot of stuff I saw in my brief first attempt again, it seems that its not. Which is disappointing for repeat runs but given how long this game seems to take it probably doesn't matter for most people though. Does make me wish I hadn't decided to play on hardcore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vargs posted:

As noted above, leviathans are definitely killable with the prawn suit or knife; it just takes ages. I absolutely would not say that smaller stuff has an insane amount of health, either. You can trivially annihilate anything other than a leviathan or a lava lizard with one stasis blast and like under 10 thermoblade swings. Even something as large and scary as a crabsquid stands no chance.
Ah right, then it's more like PRAWN punches and drills don't do that much damage compared to the knife or the thermoblade.

Which kind of makes sense.

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the map in this game 100% static? I thought this, like most survival games, had a procedural generated map but after seeing a lot of stuff I saw in my brief first attempt again, it seems that its not. Which is disappointing for repeat runs but given how long this game seems to take it probably doesn't matter for most people though. Does make me wish I hadn't decided to play on hardcore though.

There might be ranges on what can spawn where but yeah, the map is pretty static. Subnautica is less about your survival skill and more about your survival experience in this place. Procgen is great for replayability but bad for telling a consistent story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

They were initially planning on making it semi random but dropped it, but that's in part why the game runs on an engine designed for realtime voxel deformation despite them having absolutely zero use for that in the final product, also partly why it runs like poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

A map editor would be awesome, fingers crossed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finished today. Great game, but the amount of potential "you need this thing, make a huge round trip to get it, now you need another thing, make a round trip again" right at the end game could've been a serious game breaker. Getting the blue tablet to get into the Primary containment facility, then getting there and realizing you need two of them. That, and getting the blueprints for the hatching enzyme, and the game expecting you to go back to your base just to make it. In both cases I just cheated the doors open, and then took a teleporter, cheated some resources, built a quicky room/solar panel/fabricator setup, built the enzyme and hopped back in the teleporter.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Finished today. Great game, but the amount of potential "you need this thing, make a huge round trip to get it, now you need another thing, make a round trip again" right at the end game could've been a serious game breaker. Getting the blue tablet to get into the Primary containment facility, then getting there and realizing you need two of them. That, and getting the blueprints for the hatching enzyme, and the game expecting you to go back to your base just to make it. In both cases I just cheated the doors open, and then took a teleporter, cheated some resources, built a quicky room/solar panel/fabricator setup, built the enzyme and hopped back in the teleporter.

The 4 portals in the primary containment go to the places with all the resources you need for the enzyme

That said, yeah the last section of the game (Lava -> end) had way too many unnecessary gates. I can understand why though, without them you'd finished the aforementioned part in maybe 20 minutes.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
this game is terrifying and awesome. i will play it in 30 minute chunks until i beat it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OwlFancier posted:

They were initially planning on making it semi random but dropped it, but that's in part why the game runs on an engine designed for realtime voxel deformation despite them having absolutely zero use for that in the final product, also partly why it runs like poo poo.

I knew I got that map being random from somewhere. Figures this game would morph into something else over the EA period.

Honestly I'd be fine with the map being mostly static if the location of fragments and datacaches were randomized. If I die and have to replay this I'm gonna feel real pressured to go to specific places really quickly rather than organically explore my environment because I now know I won't find a lot of vital upgrades without visiting those spots.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Do most people not find Floater as a result of Gun? I feel like almost no one mentions how trivially easy and quick it is to walk between the two at the very beginning of the game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ah right, then it's more like PRAWN punches and drills don't do that much damage compared to the knife or the thermoblade.

Which kind of makes sense.

There might be ranges on what can spawn where but yeah, the map is pretty static. Subnautica is less about your survival skill and more about your survival experience in this place. Procgen is great for replayability but bad for telling a consistent story.

You can kill most things with 2-3 prawn punches. It does way more than the knife. The drill doesnt do much in comparison either, but does drive stuff off.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Alright, managed to build a basic patcher with dynamic mod loading support - no more hand-modifying the Assembly-CSharp.dll file. I'm gonna rebuild my mods in that format and then publish it Github tonight/tomorrow.

I haven't played with it yet, but it should totally be possible to load custom assets into the game - new critters, a submarine moonpool, etc.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

HexiDave posted:

Alright, managed to build a basic patcher with dynamic mod loading support - no more hand-modifying the Assembly-CSharp.dll file. I'm gonna rebuild my mods in that format and then publish it Github tonight/tomorrow.

I haven't played with it yet, but it should totally be possible to load custom assets into the game - new critters, a submarine moonpool, etc.

That's dope. I really want something in between the cyclops and seamoth.. basically 1 man cyclops. The dudes in that modding discord I linked above might be interested in that mod loader, btw.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Google Butt posted:

That's dope. I really want something in between the cyclops and seamoth.. basically 1 man cyclops. The dudes in that modding discord I linked above might be interested in that mod loader, btw.

Yep, gonna post it there after it's all published. I was in there earlier, but it looked like they frown upon pre-patched assembly files - for concerns of copyright issues. I forgot to thank you for the link - so, thanks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, late game (?) question: I've been to the Lost River and the Lava Zone with the rock looking like a castle and the Sea King reaper thing that breathes fireballs, and the undersea base. I've also found an undersea base in the lost river, with contamination samples. I used a purple tablet at that lab base. Now I'm at the lava base and I need a blue tablet? I just went back for the purple tablet and that didn't work. I have seen in this thread that you need to scan 'the first blue tablet you see' but I haven't seen one at all. I must be missing another base. I'm not sure where to go now, I suppose I'll try reading all the notes now.

Go Prawn tarzan! it's doable in caves with one grapple arm and one jetpack upgrade. It's not really viable without the Jetpack upgrade.

Also thanks to the Modding Person for the locker mod! I really appreciate it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

redreader posted:

Ok, late game (?) question: I've been to the Lost River and the Lava Zone with the rock looking like a castle and the Sea King reaper thing that breathes fireballs, and the undersea base. I've also found an undersea base in the lost river, with contamination samples. I used a purple tablet at that lab base. Now I'm at the lava base and I need a blue tablet? I just went back for the purple tablet and that didn't work. I have seen in this thread that you need to scan 'the first blue tablet you see' but I haven't seen one at all. I must be missing another base. I'm not sure where to go now, I suppose I'll try reading all the notes now.

The blue tablet is in the Thermal Generating Plant within the lava castle. It's definitely in there, so do another sweep through it. You'll need two though, to fully get through the Primary Containment Facility, so you'll have to build another one as well.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The blue tablet is in the Thermal Generating Plant within the lava castle. It's definitely in there, so do another sweep through it. You'll need two though, to fully get through the Primary Containment Facility, so you'll have to build another one as well.

Thanks so much. I had no idea I was missing an entire alien base in that area. Now hunting for plants :)

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

Pylons posted:

The way I tackled the endgame area, which worked out really well, was to bring all three vehicles along to the Lost River where I built a base (including a moonpool and a scanner) in the giant tree cove. The sea moth was for trips to the surface, and the cyclops+prawn wasn't too hard to drag to the endgame area and back. After that, I just made the round-trips necessary to build the rocket, which was a bit annoying by the end, but much better than trying to find all the poo poo you need in places other than the Lost River.

seconded as a perfect mid/late base location -- recently built the same thing down there and I'm loving the location. No hostiles, thermal power, well lit, plenty of loot to reward a scanner room too.

You can explore the lost river or jet back to the surface with yer seamoth (kind of have to hug the ceiling but it's no biggie) and the cyclops/prawn are ready to delve deeper in the other direction. I'd argue the '"correct" base placement is anywhere bordering the shallows you like for a first base, then the giant tree cove for a second base, and then using the Cyclops for what-have-you. Maybe build the odd scanner room here and there (Jellyshroom caves etc.) and you're covered for the game.

I released my cuddlefish in the cove and it's getting along fine with the ghost rays, looks like a good home. Released some peepers but they seemed to start dying -- is that a water temp. thing? Nice detail if so. Gonna hatch some gasopods next and see if they're OK to live in the cove, maybe stalkers too-- been peppering the place with creepvine growbeds. Building a little oasis in between spookier runs helps keep the game fresh, you get to play a little Stardew Trench also.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mmmm posted:

I released my cuddlefish in the cove and it's getting along fine with the ghost rays, looks like a good home.

When you say you only just released your cuddlefish.... does that mean you didn't feed him treats and he didn't follow you through your entire adventure and you only just finally let him out of his cage?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoyed this game and apart from looking at a map, tried not to cheat. At the end, I visited the lava zone base 3 times, and it wasn't enough. I needed stuff I didn't have every time. I ended up cheating some items I knew how to get, in. The final Build Section for ending the game is also bullshit: it doesn't give you the full build list, so each time you build a component you get a new nasty surprise 'oh I have to go to the end of game area, again, for another item I didn't get the first time ion batteries. Apart from this really end-of-game nastiness, it's such a fantastic game. I'm glad I played it!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I think I murdered my Cuddlefish...
Was drilling big rocks with my prawn and the fool kept getting in the way, after a few hits he stopped but much later I realised he wasn't aroun anymore :sadfan:

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

GlyphGryph posted:

When you say you only just released your cuddlefish.... does that mean you didn't feed him treats and he didn't follow you through your entire adventure and you only just finally let him out of his cage?

^^ I found an egg that I'd never before in the deepest DeGassi base and hatched it in my Tree Cove base. It's a lucky thing the guy likes it down there.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Krogort posted:

Was drilling big rocks with my prawn and the fool kept getting in the way, after a few hits he stopped but much later I realised he wasn't aroun anymore :sadfan:

Pretty sure Cuddlefish have more health than Reapers, he's probably still around.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Krogort posted:

I tried to deliberately kill the cuddlefish because it kept getting in my way.

There's no way you're killing it accidentally.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I bought this game ages ago and never saw a single cuddlefish

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

redreader posted:

I bought this game ages ago and never saw a single cuddlefish

You have to find their egg and hatch it in the alien containment. For the achievement you have to pick it up and drop it (probably outside), just hatching is insufficient.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I found a random cuddlefish swimming outside my base, even though I never found an egg. I could tell it to follow me, too. I lost it a while later and never saw it again.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I swear my greatest obstacle is never being happy with where I'm building my base :saddowns: The area's too dense, area's too sparse, area's too closed in, area's too deep. Maybe I should just focus on getting the Cyclops

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Danaru posted:

I swear my greatest obstacle is never being happy with where I'm building my base :saddowns: The area's too dense, area's too sparse, area's too closed in, area's too deep. Maybe I should just focus on getting the Cyclops

I found a really awesome spot in the Grand Reef, just outside the entrance to the Deep Grand Reef caves. It had multiple thermals for energy and a nice flat shelf that dropped down into the abyss, perfect spot for a moon pool. Also a lot of beautiful glowing corals and plants, as well as a bunch of large mineral deposits within 100-200m.

Oh, and apparently it's also directly in the path of a huge Ghost Leviathan. :v:

Tried both grapple/drill and thermoknifing the fucker, but no luck. To top it off, as I was coming back from gathering materials in my Prawn I noticed my Seamoth (fully upgraded with Mk3 depth and dual storage pods) was...gone. Had it parked just beneath the moonpool since I'd just charged the Prawn.

If I hadn't found out they'll just respawn anyway, I'd make it my life's purpose to hunt that glowy shitworm down and drown it in the lava lakes. :argh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Stash at least enough parts in your Cyclops to build a moonpool, Vehicle upgrade station, Hull reinforcements, and power it somehow.

"Aaaw yeah, Kyanite for my last Cyclops Depth upgrades! Now to make them for the Prawn-wait, poo poo."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 11, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Comrade Koba posted:

I found a really awesome spot in the Grand Reef, just outside the entrance to the Deep Grand Reef caves. It had multiple thermals for energy and a nice flat shelf that dropped down into the abyss, perfect spot for a moon pool. Also a lot of beautiful glowing corals and plants, as well as a bunch of large mineral deposits within 100-200m.

Oh, and apparently it's also directly in the path of a huge Ghost Leviathan. :v:

Tried both grapple/drill and thermoknifing the fucker, but no luck. To top it off, as I was coming back from gathering materials in my Prawn I noticed my Seamoth (fully upgraded with Mk3 depth and dual storage pods) was...gone. Had it parked just beneath the moonpool since I'd just charged the Prawn.

If I hadn't found out they'll just respawn anyway, I'd make it my life's purpose to hunt that glowy shitworm down and drown it in the lava lakes. :argh:

I was considering building inside the deep grand reef for a while, but I can't find any goddamn magnetite to make this Seamoth depth upgrade, and apparently building where Crabsquids are or have ever been is a big mistake

EDIT: I looked it up and I have all the rubies and lithium I need to make the MK3 depth upgrade, but I can't find any drat magnetite even in the mountains biome with a scanner room :shepface:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Danaru posted:

I was considering building inside the deep grand reef for a while, but I can't find any goddamn magnetite to make this Seamoth depth upgrade, and apparently building where Crabsquids are or have ever been is a big mistake

EDIT: I looked it up and I have all the rubies and lithium I need to make the MK3 depth upgrade, but I can't find any drat magnetite even in the mountains biome with a scanner room :shepface:

The Jellyshroom caves has a bunch of magnetite

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm too chicken to try it but the repulsion cannon supposedly works on the Leviathans. Maybe you could punt him away from that area

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Yeah Magnetite can be real stingy. I made a second trip back to the jellyshroom caves for a fresh batch, along with more lithium because I had run out so couldn't build a prawn drill :v: (upgrades to my scan room, running a lap with the camera drone. gimme dat copper and silver to start drillin... 4 copper nodes, two single stray pieces. zero silver nodes within at least 400m of my base? :doh:)

Away all Goats posted:

I'm too chicken to try it but the repulsion cannon supposedly works on the Leviathans. Maybe you could punt him away from that area

It sorta does! At least I've recently done it to Reapers. They will just keep coming after your parked seamoth anyways, even if you zap them with it so many times they do a reverse backflip to no-clip through a mountain. It doesn't send them very far and they give no fucks, so if they want to harass the area a repulsion gun won't do much it seems.

On the subject of reaper defense. Don't try to preemptively shock them with seamoth perimeter defense. Most of the time, they will just ignore it and continue their canned intentions of biting down on your seamoth, with you waiting on the cooldown as they chew on your hull. I take less hull damage when I LET them bite my seamoth because of this.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 11, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I got a repulsion cannon in a time capsule and only used it once, but it sent a cave crawler into low 4546B orbit and I nearly died laughing

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Repulsion Cannon is my go-to weapon. Nothing beats having a Warper warp you only for you to immediately punt them across the zone. Also good for making Bonesharks go away.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I just shoot poo poo with the Stasis Rifle and then knife it a few times. With the thermoblade this kills basically anything smaller than a Leviathan and is enough to make the latter gently caress off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

What a dumb goofy fish. That isn't your ship get out of there.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally lost my fear of warpers after getting teleported out of my seamoth and just shot it with the propulsion cannon and it flew off into the sunset like team rocket.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finally lost my fear of warpers after getting teleported out of my seamoth and just shot it with the propulsion cannon and it flew off into the sunset like team rocket.

It's hilarious how far they go. Bonus if you can aim up at them, they can literally fly out of the water

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anyway for me to fix this or am I hosed?

I parked my seamoth on a rock and it somehow glitched inside it. I can't access it at all. My base is 1000 meters away and I don't have a seaglide with me.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you swim on the water's surface you will move faster.