Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Different coins. The ones you need to save are the Oracle Ascension Coins. Though, also horde the other ones for later to level up from 60 to 99 in a single shot, like I did.

Right on, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Different coins. The ones you need to save are the Oracle Ascension Coins. Though, also horde the other ones for later to level up from 60 to 99 in a single shot, like I did.

What did you use the exp magic on to do that lol?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETfIO49PO64

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
So what are these elemental debuffs doing to me when I smack myself with my own magic? I can't find anywhere that describes any of the status effects in this game actually. Fortunately, most of them were in previous games.

I'm also a little pissed off that you can't use items outside of battle. I'm still poisoned here.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DalaranJ posted:

So what are these elemental debuffs doing to me when I smack myself with my own magic? I can't find anywhere that describes any of the status effects in this game actually. Fortunately, most of them were in previous games.

I'm also a little pissed off that you can't use items outside of battle. I'm still poisoned here.

Press touchpad, press the button that lists Icons. I think it's triangle? It's on the lower right of the screen. It gives you everything including food buffs.

I believe the elemental ones are just take more damage of this spell type debuffs.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Megasabin posted:

What did you use the exp magic on to do that lol?

You can use it on anything, it gives exp per cast, nothing to do with the target. For convenience I used the Behemoth hunt, and ate food with a 100% Exp Bonus, wore the moogle accessory that boosts exp, then popped off about 20-30 Level 99 Expericast Firas over the course of like four Behemoths. 1 million+ raw exp, which was then tripled in the royal suite at the Leville.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LOL just the thought of them blasting off into space uncontrollably cracks me up. The pics from that trip would be great!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jebediah posted:

LOL just the thought of them blasting off into space uncontrollably cracks me up. The pics from that trip would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib084tzN8H0

justwright
Oct 13, 2012
Do you lose access to Altissia after the summit?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

justwright posted:

Do you lose access to Altissia after the summit?

Nope.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at this pathos out of nowhere in chapter ten. Even the cooking. Tonal shift completely out of nowhere. This game is dumb but at least it's fun.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Zaphod42 posted:

How much do you like XV and anime?

Kingsglaive is CG and goes over Insomnia and Regis more.

Brotherhood is anime and goes over the 4 main characters more.

Both are pretty solid and definitely help explain what the gently caress is going on in XV, neither is like, going to change your life or anything.
I haven't played XV, but I will soon. I just wanted to watch some background stuff, and would like to know if there was an order to watch for best effect before the game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Press touchpad, press the button that lists Icons. I think it's triangle? It's on the lower right of the screen. It gives you everything including food buffs.

I believe the elemental ones are just take more damage of this spell type debuffs.

Thanks. It turns out that as I had suspected all of the elemental debuffs are just tiny DOTs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't played XV, but I will soon. I just wanted to watch some background stuff, and would like to know if there was an order to watch for best effect before the game.

No order. Kingsglaive happens right before and up to the start of the game. Brotherhood is essentially flashbacks of the bros.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is the only way to complete the engine blade upgrade quest really just redoing 1 hunt over and over until you get a rare drop from the hunt target?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Is the only way to complete the engine blade upgrade quest really just redoing 1 hunt over and over until you get a rare drop from the hunt target?

yup! another post a page or 2 back said save right before the fight, reload if you don't get the item.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol at this pathos out of nowhere in chapter ten. Even the cooking. Tonal shift completely out of nowhere. This game is dumb but at least it's fun.

The chilled food tin made me laugh pretty hard. Everyone looked so miserable and Gladio was over there sulking.

Megasabin posted:

Use Sword of the Wise and make sure you target the horn in wait mode, makes it much less tedious. Has a roughly 10% drop rate according to some numbers people have crunched, but the sword doubles the drop rate. I think there's a food you can eat to increase drop rate, too. Also make sure you are hitting the big guys (Dualcorns?) instead of the tiny spiracorns.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 6, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Seriously? The official guide only shows 2 at versperpool plus one nearby at myrlwood.

Seriously. One of the spots even has a vendor on the same island.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
What the hell Cid, how long does it take you to make a Lance a little bit better, I have two other upgrade items to give you and all you can say is 'Just wait and see how awesome this lance is when i'm done' I've been driving around doing hunts and killing giants for almost two in-game weeks. I don't even care about the lance anymore I just want you to add to the 60k experience I'm sitting on so I can go sleep at the beach.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Aquasnake posted:

What the hell Cid, how long does it take you to make a Lance a little bit better, I have two other upgrade items to give you and all you can say is 'Just wait and see how awesome this lance is when i'm done' I've been driving around doing hunts and killing giants for almost two in-game weeks. I don't even care about the lance anymore I just want you to add to the 60k experience I'm sitting on so I can go sleep at the beach.

It's only triggered for me after sleeping despite the quest log saying spend time doing side quests and hunts. It probably mean do those things and then rest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aquasnake posted:

Do 2 hunts then sleep.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Definitely watch Kingsglave first since the game repeats some of it's climactic scenes early on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man but does Cid remind anyone else of George Carlin?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wow the final training trial at Camp can go gently caress itself, even at level 99.

IGNIS YOU DICK STOP HEALING EVERYONE FOR 25K AND YOURSELF FOR 10K EVERY FIVE SECONDS

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmmmph. Okay, postgame dungeon question:

I'm in the Pietross Ruins and I know WHERE I need to go--I'm in the third(?) big hub section, a hallway with a bunch of doors on either side and a door to the end. Each door leads to a small puzzle room that I generally climb and hit a switch. I've gotten all the way to the final one, where moving platforms force me to carefully navigate spikes. I need to reach the top of this room, yet when I get up on top of the traps and apparatus, there is no way that I can see to get higher.

How do I get higher?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do 2 hunts then sleep.

Ah, I've been putting off sleep for so long in this game, whenever I get a lot of exp I plan to go to Galdin Quay, which triggers whatever the opposite of diminishing returns is in my brain. "I can double what I have now, but if I wait I can double what I have now, plus more... for the same price. Genius!" So I get people complaining about being tired, and Prompto being scared of the dark. But no real drawbacks, until now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Aquasnake posted:

Ah, I've been putting off sleep for so long in this game, whenever I get a lot of exp I plan to go to Galdin Quay, which triggers whatever the opposite of diminishing returns is in my brain. "I can double what I have now, but if I wait I can double what I have now, plus more... for the same price. Genius!" So I get people complaining about being tired, and Prompto being scared of the dark. But no real drawbacks, until now.

You get so much exp through the side quests that galdin quay is really unnecessary unless you have a ton of spare cash. Cash is harder to come by than XP early game, at least $10k.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MMD3 posted:

You get so much exp through the side quests that galdin quay is really unnecessary unless you have a ton of spare cash. Cash is harder to come by than XP early game, at least $10k.

It's 5K for those with the Travel Pack DLC. :clint:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh my god using a summon in an actual battle is some loving biblical world ending poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I collected 46000xp, then stayed in the quay for free (end of chapter 1 bonus) for enough xp to level to 32 at the start of chapter 2. About 18 hours in. Do you think I'm overleveled? :v:

Also if I hadn't watched Kingsglaive before playing this game, the cutscenes would not have helped. Who was King Regis? Who were the people in the cutscene? What was going on? Was it a dream? Who knows! But Gladios was able to get in touch with his sister, whoever that is (if you hadn't watched Brotherhood...)

In any case, I'm horribly overleveled now xD

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I didn't play at all this weekend or today, because I feel like this game is going to be overwhelming. I'll level up the wrong things first, gently caress myself over, and never get the right magic. In fact, I can't even use magic and I just got the first royal sword or whatever from a tomb.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Oh my god using a summon in an actual battle is some loving biblical world ending poo poo.

It's rather humbling watching Ramuh provide a temporary heat death of the universe event to kill some Voretooth/s/voreteeth. :stare:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's rather humbling watching Ramuh provide a temporary heat death of the universe event to kill some Voretooth/s/voreteeth. :stare:

Yeah he helped me smite the final hard bird in a massive long annoying 10 bird hunt. Thanks dude!

Has anyone else seen the game be real weird about being in or out of the battle state? I've sometimes had battles "end" and get a results screen mid-combo. I've also been able to get into fights without a "battle" actually starting so I can attack but not use techniques. It's very odd.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hmmmmph. Okay, postgame dungeon question:

I'm in the Pietross Ruins and I know WHERE I need to go--I'm in the third(?) big hub section, a hallway with a bunch of doors on either side and a door to the end. Each door leads to a small puzzle room that I generally climb and hit a switch. I've gotten all the way to the final one, where moving platforms force me to carefully navigate spikes. I need to reach the top of this room, yet when I get up on top of the traps and apparatus, there is no way that I can see to get higher.

How do I get higher?

Jump across the spike walls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah he helped me smite the final hard bird in a massive long annoying 10 bird hunt. Thanks dude!

Has anyone else seen the game be real weird about being in or out of the battle state? I've sometimes had battles "end" and get a results screen mid-combo. I've also been able to get into fights without a "battle" actually starting so I can attack but not use techniques. It's very odd.

The game is pretty weird about combat barriers in some places, yeah. I've had battles 'end' when I take two steps too far to the left.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

You went outside the encounter area. It's the red circle in the minimap. During the course of your battle and combos and what not, you ventured outside of it. It happens. The technique stuff not firing off I haven't encountered yet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Yodzilla posted:

it's like bringing a nuke to a knife fight

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You went outside the encounter area. It's the red circle in the minimap. During the course of your battle and combos and what not, you ventured outside of it. It happens. The technique stuff not firing off I haven't encountered yet.

The encounter circle is also a sphere and you'll leave it if you keep warp-chasing birds upwards. It will reset your tech bar every time. Quite annoying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's like bringing a nuke to a knife fight

Or bringing a gigantic mythical being made partly of skyscraper-sized knives to a knife fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The encounter circle is also a sphere and you'll leave it if you keep warp-chasing birds upwards. It will reset your tech bar every time. Quite annoying.

Hahaha, nice.

• Locked thread