Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm phone posting right now but I'll do it when I get back to a computer, if I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok dumb question probably. I'm going to a festival soon that seems like would be rained on quite a bit, in the past this turned everything in a muddy wet mess. I then remembered that I saw these jungle boots in a surplus store. They were specifically specifically made for wet, muddy jungle environments. They have drain holes I think.

Is it actually a good idea? Or are waterproof options better nowadays? Probably doesn't matter for this festival anyway, but I going to central America later where it might actually get wet and muddy if I go hiking so I'm curious what the general opinion is. I'm a pretty clueless indoor type and will normally stay home of it's raining :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok dumb question probably. I'm going to a festival soon that seems like would be rained on quite a bit, in the past this turned everything in a muddy wet mess. I then remembered that I saw these jungle boots in a surplus store. They were specifically specifically made for wet, muddy jungle environments. They have drain holes I think.

Is it actually a good idea? Or are waterproof options better nowadays? Probably doesn't matter for this festival anyway, but I going to central America later where it might actually get wet and muddy if I go hiking so I'm curious what the general opinion is. I'm a pretty clueless indoor type and will normally stay home of it's raining :)

The design of that jungle boot went unchanged in much if any significant way for decades, it presumably won't be top of the line for comfort but your feet will keep from rotting and they're certainly rugged enough.

https://youtu.be/EXbyACeulIE

Watch this guy chop one in half and go over the history and construction

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

The design of that jungle boot went unchanged in much if any significant way for decades, it presumably won't be top of the line for comfort but your feet will keep from rotting and they're certainly rugged enough.

Huh, so there is a youtube video for everything :) Pretty interesting, assuming they do work as intended it might be worth giving it a shot just for fun if nothing else.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Those will definitely work but they're gonna be heavy, hot, uncomfortable, and retain a lot more water/dry more slowly compared to a modern trail runner or hiking boot. They can also potentially chafe the poo poo out of your feet/ankles and make you miserable if you've got bad socks (get some wool/synthetic blend socks tall enough to cover all areas of your leg that the boot touches) or a poor fit, much worse than a modern, more shoelike piece of footwear will.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

FAUXTON posted:

Ughhhhhhhhh. Now I want some. I used to wear surplus boots in HS(I was THAT goth kid).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No way would I ever hike in those

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

OG jungle boots are still one of the most comfy things I've ever worn straight off the shelf. I have superflat feet tho so I'm probably an oddball here.

A few things to remember with genuine surplus:
1. They will have been stored in unknown conditions for X amount of time, If you don't properly condition the leather before getting them wet you hosed up.
2. As mentioned in that video, properly drying and reconditioning them is super important.
3. GOOD SOCKS

You can still get new manufacture jungle boots that are made to the same specs but they ain't cheap. For that kind of money getting something modern would be the better option, IMO

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Lol yeah no. I would 100% rather buy some Merrell Moabs or some other modern shoe.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

garmin inreach mapshare & tracking.... big time hunk of poo poo. maybe the most frustrating piece of technology ive ever worked with, and i have to read and write yaml files daily.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

post hole digger posted:

garmin inreach mapshare & tracking.... big time hunk of poo poo. maybe the most frustrating piece of technology ive ever worked with, and i have to read and write yaml files daily.

What are your issues? I've been using the og Delorme inreach se for years and actually just bought the mini 2 today to upgrade.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

since we're back on shoes. I'm still hunting for a good hiking shoe for my wide-rear end feet. I went to an REI 2 weeks ago, but they were super busy and one guy was trying to help like four of us in the hiking shoe department. I tried Murder is a deeply personal decision between a man and his weapon and we need to fight to protect these rights. altras I tried on. We're still zero drop but had more Cushing so they didn't feel like it. But they didn't come in wides. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for somebody's whose foot is 12 wide in altras. I may be around an REI in a couple weeks so I'll be able to try some moron but I'd like to have some ideas before I just go in and shrug my shoulders at a guy and say put shoes on me.

Edit: I'm always going through water so something that dries quick is probably the most important feature to me.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 7, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I love my Inreach Mini. That thing is awesome! What sort of issues are you having with it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RodShaft posted:

but they were super busy and one guy was trying to help like four of us in the hiking shoe department. I tried Murder is a deeply personal decision between a man and his weapon and we need to fight to protect these rights. altras I tried on.

Are you allowed back in to that REI?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RodShaft posted:

since we're back on shoes. I'm still hunting for a good hiking shoe for my wide-rear end feet. I went to an REI 2 weeks ago, but they were super busy and one guy was trying to help like four of us in the hiking shoe department. I tried Murder is a deeply personal decision between a man and his weapon and we need to fight to protect these rights. altras I tried on. We're still zero drop but had more Cushing so they didn't feel like it. But they didn't come in wides. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for somebody's whose foot is 12 wide in altras. I may be around an REI in a couple weeks so I'll be able to try some moron but I'd like to have some ideas before I just go in and shrug my shoulders at a guy and say put shoes on me.

Edit: I'm always going through water so something that dries quick is probably the most important feature to me.

what

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

post hole digger posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

RodShaft posted:

.....what.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RodShaft posted:

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for somebody's whose foot is 12 wide in altras.

They're not altras but I really like Lowa Renegade GTX. They tend to be comfortable but only last a couple of years.

Best of all, they come in wide sizes! But you may want to make sure your REI has your specific size (12 wide) in stock before you drop by.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The edit has to be the best part.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t think we should be helping this person outfit themselves for any kind of fleeing into the bush scenario.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

RodShaft posted:

Try topo terraventure. And not murder. Definitely not that.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

charliebravo77 posted:

What are your issues? I've been using the og Delorme inreach se for years and actually just bought the mini 2 today to upgrade.

So I have an inreach 2 mini. Seems mostly pretty good? I dont know if i'm using it wrong but i'm having a hell of a time with the mapshare. the ux/ui on the explore site seems weird and a bit counterintuitive, and things are not always where i'd expect. my biggest issue is i'm not sure what the correct workflow is for tracking a multi-day trip, although i spent some time walking around the neighborhood and think i have a better grasp on it now. basic things like controlling what gets shared on the mapshare site were not very intuitive, and the way i ended up finally getting it to not share my whole library seems like maybe I am doing it wrong.

my goal is to be able to save and store my route on a multi-day trip. what i *think* i want to do is:

- turn on tracking
- do my hike
- get to camp, stop tracking, convert the activity generated by my tracking to a track, power off device
- wake up the next day, start tracking again, do the whole thing over

when i was fiddling with the device earlier today, it seemed like if i started tracking, went on a hike, stopped tracking, and turned off the device, the tracking would still be on the mapshare site, but when I turned the device back on and started tracking again, the new tracking activity would overwrite the old track on the sharing site. maybe this is a result of having changed

i've tried watching some videos and they helped, but i feel confused by managing the tracking aspect of the device in a way i usually do not feel confused by technology. i will try to go on another hike tomorrow and see if i am on the right track (heh) here.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 7, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this feels like a classic post on some sort of yospos thread about ui/ux fails

I have an inreach se and I just use it to report my location and maybe send off some notices and act as an emergency beacon just in case. I haven't really tried the tracking stuff because the UI is so terrible in that regard. Maybe I'll try it out, see if I can get it to do something useful.

EDIT: I never use the website if I can help it. Everything is such a mess that I avoid it as much as possible.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well that was an unfortunate paste from the lol trump thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

well it reads like schizophrenia so I'd say it worked

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I own an InReach Mini solely for the SOS button. push the button and hope for the best!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I own an InReach Mini solely for the SOS button. push the button and hope for the best!

If that's all you need, a Personal Locator Beacon gives you that for less money and without a subscription fee.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

drat, that's quite an oversight. I do not know my exact thought process two years ago. maybe I assumed texting was essential for rescue at the time. I suppose I could sell my In Reach (if the first version is worth much) and buy a PLB. Something I'll consider

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

drat, that's quite an oversight. I do not know my exact thought process two years ago. maybe I assumed texting was essential for rescue at the time. I suppose I could sell my In Reach (if the first version is worth much) and buy a PLB. Something I'll consider

It really depends on use case. An inreach or other satellite messenger is useful for communicating exactly what the situation is and what sort of response you need. Pop a PLB and you're getting SAR/USCG spinning up a helo and all sorts of potential first responders coming most likely (and maybe a giant bill). I would definitely keep a PLB on a boat if I was going offshore but for backpacking/hiking/etc. I personally think the inreach is a better device as you can use it for situations that are less serious than "I am going to die if I don't activate this."

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah there are enough situations that are like "I'm not dying, but I'm stuck" that make texting worthwhile, imo.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

alnilam posted:

Yeah there are enough situations that are like "I'm not dying, but I'm stuck" that make texting worthwhile, imo.

Or even just a “hey my route took longer than I thought, I won’t be out for another 6 hours” text to the person who knew where you were going so they don’t freak out. Weather reports are also nice if you’re in an area that can have erratic weather.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

PLBs have a lifetime, that expire after awhile. Of course, the purpose of a PLB is for insurance so you don't have to use it. Still, it's annoying to have an expensive piece of equipment whose sole purpose is to gather dust in the ideal situation.

As long as you have the inreach mini, you may as well just keep it and make sure it has an active subscription when you go out.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s also a good excuse to go out into the backcountry. “Sorry honey, but I paid for this months InReach subscription and haven’t used it yet, so we have to do a 3 night backpacking trip!”

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am going to get an InReach in the near future, but historically I've carried a PLB when doing remote alpine climbs. A satellite messenger definitely has more utility, and if you have someone expecting you on a given timeline then being able to message if you're late or have them see your track is super useful.

If all you want is a way to spin up SAR if you're in real trouble though, a PLB is the cheapest option, even factoring in that the battery eventually dies (it's like 3 or 5 years, I forget which)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

post hole digger posted:

my goal is to be able to save and store my route on a multi-day trip. what i *think* i want to do is:

- turn on tracking
- do my hike
- get to camp, stop tracking, convert the activity generated by my tracking to a track, power off device
- wake up the next day, start tracking again, do the whole thing over

Circling back on this I think all you need to do is:
  • Enable breadcrumbs at whatever interval you want, keeping in mind the extra power consumption this will require.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Turn it back on the next day.

You shouldnt have to do anything beyond that unless you want to mark extra waypoints or something.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

armorer posted:

I am going to get an InReach in the near future, but historically I've carried a PLB when doing remote alpine climbs. A satellite messenger definitely has more utility, and if you have someone expecting you on a given timeline then being able to message if you're late or have them see your track is super useful.

If all you want is a way to spin up SAR if you're in real trouble though, a PLB is the cheapest option, even factoring in that the battery eventually dies (it's like 3 or 5 years, I forget which)

I think the lifetime depends on the brand but modern PLBs tend to be 5-7 years, going by the 3 available at REI.

And it's annoying that the batteries cannot be replaced or whatnot because they are engineered to be inexpensive and 100% reliable in any situation (ocean, alpine, etc). No user servicable parts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Replaceable batteries create a lot more possible points of failure.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I had an old pair of Vasque Talus Trek Low Ultradry hiking shoes. I don't have them anymore, but they were awesome. I should probably unclench a little, but I'm still pretty paranoid about covid and don't really want to go to a store to get fitted, and would love to order the same thing again. Unfortunately, that model is discontinued. I was pointed to the Talus XT as the closest model still in production, in either the GTX (Gore-Tex) or Ultradry models since I want waterproof. Availability on those is surprisingly inconsistent as well, I'm not sure why. Anyone know the difference between the XT and AT? The AT is a little more available.

In general, any opinions about Gore-Tex vs. whatever proprietary thing the Ultradry uses?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

guppy posted:

I had an old pair of Vasque Talus Trek Low Ultradry hiking shoes. I don't have them anymore, but they were awesome. I should probably unclench a little, but I'm still pretty paranoid about covid and don't really want to go to a store to get fitted, and would love to order the same thing again. Unfortunately, that model is discontinued. I was pointed to the Talus XT as the closest model still in production, in either the GTX (Gore-Tex) or Ultradry models since I want waterproof. Availability on those is surprisingly inconsistent as well, I'm not sure why. Anyone know the difference between the XT and AT? The AT is a little more available.

In general, any opinions about Gore-Tex vs. whatever proprietary thing the Ultradry uses?

In general I don't typically like waterproof versions of low top shoes as they're way too easy to get wet from water entering from above and they won't dry quickly. BUT if thats your only option, I would almost always lean towards goretex vs a proprietary membrane from a manufacturer. Goretex has always performed better in my experience than anything else. Goretex also guarantees their products. I don't know how easy it is to get it done, but their guarantee says that if you're not satisfied with the performance of goretex stuff for the useful lifespan of a product, they'll refund, repair or replace that product no matter who the manufacturer was. I've never looked into this myself but its better than most companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Circling back on this I think all you need to do is:
  • Enable breadcrumbs at whatever interval you want, keeping in mind the extra power consumption this will require.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Turn it back on the next day.

You shouldnt have to do anything beyond that unless you want to mark extra waypoints or something.

Yeah this seems to be the right idea thanks. I probably did something wrong when I was testing it out before but it seems to be working more reliably by not manually stopping tracking, using this basic workflow, + using auto-tracking