Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’m not going to say it was definitely shot down or by whom it may have been shot down or why, but if you honestly believe a 737-800 that’s less than 4 years old develops sudden mechanical problems resulting in a crash, while operating in an area of recently spiked military tension, and those two things are completely unrelated, you’re on loving glue.

I suppose it is possible, but it is not a reasonable thing to infer given the evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If it was mechanical or operational in some way then it was probably due to a rushed or sloppy work or servicing due to a desire to get out of Tehran quickly.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

There is a video showing that it was a fireball as it went down. I’m going with missile. Either stupid SAM operators like back in Ukraine, or there was someone inside that was not to escape the country under any circumstances.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

If it was mechanical or operational in some way then it was probably due to a rushed or sloppy work or servicing due to a desire to get out of Tehran quickly.

Yeah, I can absolutely see that. It's too early to say what happened, but the chances of it being completely unrelated strike me as... minimal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Animal posted:

There is a video showing that it was a fireball as it went down. I’m going with missile

I don't trust videos posted on social media without corroboration, but it's certainly possible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Animal posted:

There is a video showing that it was a fireball as it went down. I’m going with missile. Either stupid SAM operators like back in Ukraine, or there was someone inside that was not to escape the country under any circumstances.

Tehran isn't exactly near the border. Either the US has stealth aircraft dicking around in foreign airspace or the Iranians shot down one of their own that had just taken off from their own airport. That'd be a special kind of fuckup.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Wait, they actually give you the list of possible questions word-for-word?

That, uh, changes things.

Verbatim. They're questions and answers which have been "released", so there's always the possibility of new questions on the actual written but, 9 times out of 10, it's the same questions with possibly jumbled answer choices. Another rule of thumb is one of the three choices is usually completely wrong.

In other words:

e.pilot posted:

Gleim is amazing

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Oh poo poo, realizing I only need a 70 to pass. I'm routinely getting ~85% so maybe time for some YOLO

I just got another 90 on my test prep. It's just a matter of do I take the test with our partner school or my local one which has less testing business and could probably use the :10bux:.

Our programs require you to get an 80 for a signoff or to pass ground school because the thinking is, if you can get an 80, you can get a 70.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Tehran isn't exactly near the border. Either the US has stealth aircraft dicking around in foreign airspace or the Iranians shot down one of their own that had just taken off from their own airport. That'd be a special kind of fuckup.

That’s what I meant, that maybe they shot down their own aircraft. Stupidity is often the most plausible explanation. Iranian Air 655 and Malaysia Air 17 were both shoot downs caused by stupid people in charge of SAM’s in the middle of an escalating conflict.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If it was a mistake by Iranian air defenses the failure sequence probably looked very similar to what happened on the Viscennes back in the 80s. ie, the civilian flight schedule they had wasn't legible and they mixed up the tracks so a flight going away from them that wasn't a thread was confused with a friendly flight that was approaching.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Video of the missile striking the jet

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/video/iran-plane-missile.html?action=click&module=Top

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AWSEFT, updated info line for your Goons in Planes list:

quote:

CBJSprague24 = USA - ASEL PP IR AGI/IGI Remote Pilot

86 on the IGI written. Worst score out of the 10 practice exams and actual exam I took and the only one which wasn't an 88 or 90. :ironicat:

...also, gently caress you FAA, there wasn't anything in the Test Prep about time required for helicopter IFR fuel reserves. :argh:

Does anyone know what exact changes are coming to the testing process? The guys at the testing center were hinting that it's a new system which might be more of a pain to work with? (It's possible they were BSing me.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

...also, gently caress you FAA, there wasn't anything in the Test Prep about time required for helicopter IFR fuel reserves. :argh:

D. Helicopters do not need fuel for IFR, because they cannot fly and IFR flight is therefore an illusion. :v:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

D. Helicopters do not need fuel for IFR, because they cannot fly and IFR flight is therefore an illusion. :v:

I worked with a guy who was transitioning from helicopters into airplanes, and one of his beefs was just how sketchy the helo world was.

For example, his company would tell pilots to depart VFR and get a pop up IFR clearance so that they didn’t have to have the increased IFR reserves.

He works for an airline now.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does anyone know what exact changes are coming to the testing process? The guys at the testing center were hinting that it's a new system which might be more of a pain to work with? (It's possible they were BSing me.)

Something about IACRA being required for each written test.

edit for my own question: I'm in 121 ground school right now and I've been using the free MyFlightbook electronic logbook. Is there any benefit to paying for Logtenpro or any of the other paid electronic logbooks?

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 10, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Some of the paid ones can automatically import from various airline scheduling software, but since my airline uses a software version that won't play nice with anything, I just enter it manually.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

a patagonian cavy posted:

I worked with a guy who was transitioning from helicopters into airplanes, and one of his beefs was just how sketchy the helo world was.

I got in trouble for doing a full 411/413* on a helicopter after replacing an altitude encoder. The customer said "we only ever fly VFR, so why are we paying for an IFR check?" Well, bub, nothing in the helicopter is placarded VFR only, and the FAR says "Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply...." So if I'm in here doing a 413, you're getting a 411 unless the aircraft is placarded VFR ONLY.

Double especially since I was there because the altitude encoder was a THOUSAND FEET OFF in a traffic helicopter flying around the airport all the time. I'd hear them call in to ATC "Tower, TRAFFIC-5 is 1 mile west of the airport at 2500." "TRAFFIC-5, we see you at 3500, altimeter is at xx.xxx" "Tower, roger. I'll set that, TRAFFIC-5" It's not that they were just toodling around and not setting altimeter, it's that the encoder was so far off, and they just let it go for two years until required by law. Ultra sketchy, and this is a full flight department of a major news organization within 4NM of a Class B airport.

*14CFR91.411/413. If you do any work on the pitot/static system or transponder system, they have to be tested.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Thinking of heading down to KMRY from KHWD this weekend. Anyone else done this flight and have any tips?

It'll be the first time I park at a Class C airport. I'm assuming I need to call clearance delivery for departure clearance and ground for taxi instructions?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I only call clearance if I have filed an IFR clearance. Otherwise, I contact ground directly and tack on “VFR to the North/East/etc.” they’ll typically give you a beacon code to get you out of the airspace and then cancel radar advisories.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Class C you need to contact clearance for VFR departure instructions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Is this airport-dependent? You need a clearance, but at least at my airport, you just get it from ground. On the other hand, you also request IFR clearances from ground because we don’t have a separate frequency so, in conclusion, I have no idea. Seems like the sort of thing that would be covered in the procedures section of the A/FD if it’s like the Canada Flight Supplement.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Is this airport-dependent? You need a clearance, but at least at my airport, you just get it from ground. On the other hand, you also request IFR clearances from ground because we don’t have a separate frequency so, in conclusion, I have no idea. Seems like the sort of thing that would be covered in the procedures section of the A/FD if it’s like the Canada Flight Supplement.

Not that I’m aware of, at least in the US.

Class D you just contact ground, half the time you don’t even get a squawk code.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I did my training out of a class C and the lesson was that everyone get clearance from clearance

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well worst case I'll call up clearance and get told to contact ground, so no big deal haha.

Looking like my flight might not even happen anyways though :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Yeah all the Class C’s I use I contact ground. Then again the ground and clearance dude are almost always the same guy (KMOB and KPNS)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

I did my training out of a class C and the lesson was that everyone get clearance from clearance

Same here. "Clearance, Cessna 7339W would like to pick up VFR clearance to the Northwest Practice Area at 3,500". We always got the AFT part of CRAFT to read back to them.

Obviously, NW Practice Area was probably something Being Airline Owned Means Everything arranged with local ATC, but we picked up a clearance before leaving CMH on my night XC and I did it every time after.

e-

e.pilot posted:

Every time I left CMH VFR, it was "heading 250, climb to 3,000" to get out of the way of any faster traffic which might've been behind me on 28L.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 10, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My experience at RDU has always been different guys on clearance and ground, though I think I tend to leave at busy times. The only controller overlap I’ve had is sometimes returning in the evening, tower will take me back to the ramp instead of switching to ground.

tldr I guess it is “it depends”?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

tldr I guess it is “it depends”?

This is very much the case. When I was doing the survey flying, I flew in and out of Cs all the time, all over the country, and only once did I hear a VFR pilot get scolded by ground for not calling clearance delivery first. At that particular airport the ATIS instructed 'all VFR pilot to call CD' so at least atc announced what they wanted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
At my class D it's usually the same guy doing tower, ground and CD and he always sounds like he has his hair on fire :jeb:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hey all. So I'm a newbie, right around 10 hours into dual training, and I seem to tense up as I'm doing things. When I make sure to chill out, everything is cool and good, nice and smooth.
For anyone else who used to (or still does?) tense up, how do you remind yourself to chill / make sure you don't tense up in the first place?

Practice, I know. I'm doing that, but every bit of advice helps.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Trim and grip the controls with only a few fingers. It’ll keep you from iron gripping them.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey all. So I'm a newbie, right around 10 hours into dual training, and I seem to tense up as I'm doing things. When I make sure to chill out, everything is cool and good, nice and smooth.
For anyone else who used to (or still does?) tense up, how do you remind yourself to chill / make sure you don't tense up in the first place?

Practice, I know. I'm doing that, but every bit of advice helps.
I like talking through what I'm doing out loud.

Seconding the "grip the yoke lightly/only two fingers thing". It helps.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Had an incident where an unaccompanied minor was sick (probably just airsick), and a nurse sitting near them took it upon themselves to give said UM a fairly strong prescription anti-nausea medication from their personal stash, after being specifically told by the flight attendants not to do that.

That nurse had also consumed at least two gin and tonics before giving out the drugs, so the flight ended up with paramedics and law enforcement meeting the airplane (since I wasn't sure if drugging minors without permission while intoxicated was illegal), having a fairly long conversation with the police and flight attendants, and then doing about 2 hours of reports and statements (and a complaint to the relevant state nursing board) when I finally got home.

I swear, flying makes people stupid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I do the same thing that I did when trying to teach myself to loosen up on the motorcycle handlebars: pretend that you are holding a baby bird and if you squeeze hard you'll crush it.

As for the mental tenseness, ironically I found that most of it went away when I soloed because I didn't have to divide my attention between flying and listening to the instructor. Granted it could also just be that, kind of by definition, you don't solo until you're comfortable in the plane, but idk. Dividing attention is hard when you're new at something. I miss a lot fewer radio calls when I'm soloing too.

Maybe try gently telling your instructor to quiet down and let you focus?

e: and yeah I talk to myself constantly as I'm flying, narrating almost everything I do. That's not really a conscious thing, though, just how my brain works any time I'm working through a process

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 11, 2020

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My instructor had me weave a mechanical pencil between my fingers (so that portions of it were both in front of, and behind, my finger bones) for a few flights. Tensing your hand up will then cause enough discomfort to snap you out of it and encourage you to relax.

For my legs, I just try to remember to wiggle my toes a lot.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ended up making it down to KMRY today. Decided to just land and fly back instead of hanging around. It was a beautiful flight and the clouds cleared up enough to make it.

On the way back, traffic was showing something flying incredibly fast off my left wing. Got a traffic warning from approach that it was a fleet of 4 F35s! Highlight of the trip :)

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Another question for you 121 dudes. I'm looking for a cooler that'll hold enough food for a few days in addition to my EFB and headset (Bose X). I get a little bit of a discount on LuggageWorks but I'm open minded. This guy looks pretty good but I don't see much space for a clunky headset. Strongbags has this as well, might have a little more room on top for a headset? The LuggageWorks is probably my best option since it has the separate section specifically for a headset but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Related: Is the LuggageWorks 22" Stealth still the suitcase to get?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

two_beer_bishes posted:

Another question for you 121 dudes. I'm looking for a cooler that'll hold enough food for a few days in addition to my EFB and headset (Bose X). I get a little bit of a discount on LuggageWorks but I'm open minded. This guy looks pretty good but I don't see much space for a clunky headset. Strongbags has this as well, might have a little more room on top for a headset? The LuggageWorks is probably my best option since it has the separate section specifically for a headset but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Don't know about the cooler, but get the plastic frame luggage works.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Delta with an "I have a phone number for you to call when you're ready to copy" at JFK yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2rJhdvguc

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 12, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

If you're stuck on getting it all into one bag, get the aerocoast. If you can deal with a separate headset/EFB bag get the strongbag. What airplane do you fly? If it's a 737, don't get the Stealth with the pockets, as they'll rip off the side in about two trips. I had a metal frame LW Stealth for about 13 years and it was great but too heavy. I recently got a strongbags Vortex 21 and really like it. So there's that. Or you can go to Costco and get that bag and return it every couple of years for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Delta with an "I have a phone number for you to call when you're ready to copy" at JFK yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2rJhdvguc

Isn't the tower required to get a readback of all hold-short instructions? I didn't hear DAL300 read back anything but the gate number. Obviously it is DAL's fault for hearing what they wanted to hear and proceeding on autopilot, but it seems that the tower also kind of dropped the ball on that one.