Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have gotten two weird Says and no tells so it sounds like I've had it lucky

I haven't ever gotten one and nor do most people I know and we play on Crystal. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
as anecdotes go I've never gotten any passes on a lala or roe
did get some weird tells once on my highlander dude alt though

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Resubbed today, started catching up on the last couple patches. Started with finishing the Weapon storyline.

To be honest, Gaius getting a happy feel-good redemption arc sits really badly with me. Bad enough he came back at all. But the fact that I feel zero sympathy for him meant the emotional weight of the finale didn't work for me. Yeah, poo poo sucks for you, dude. You knowingly walked into all of it and brought all this on yourself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I've gotten a few people doing custom butt-slapping emotes (or similar) on my catgirl but never any creepy DMs

the closest was someone telling me I had a cute glamour but I choose to believe it was a genuine compliment

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If you don't bring it on yourself it isn't really a redemption storyline.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Cythereal posted:

To be honest, Gaius getting a happy feel-good redemption arc sits really badly with me. Bad enough he came back at all. But the fact that I feel zero sympathy for him meant the emotional weight of the finale didn't work for me. Yeah, poo poo sucks for you, dude. You knowingly walked into all of it and brought all this on yourself.

I felt bad for the kids but yeah I wasn't a fan of Gaius' crimes being forgotten. I might've been more inclined to like Gaius if he had to endure the people who he wronged being upset with him and not welcoming him back, but he continued to soldier on to do good in spite of his unappreciated efforts (like Ramza from FFT). Would've sold me on him. But instead, people who have every reason to hate his guts instead drop their beefs with him and become buddy buddy with him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Resubbed today, started catching up on the last couple patches. Started with finishing the Weapon storyline.

It was good, actually.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

One thing that the Bozja quests makes really clear that I think is an interesting wrinkle for everything in eorzea and the worldbuilding in general is that despite its imperialist status, for a lot of people life under imperial rule actually is a huge improvement to life under the way more stratified societies that the empire displaced. Gaius's vision and dream of the empire under his hands was something he was actively doing and provided tangible results, and being confronted with how the empire functioned outside of his sphere of influence is what changes him over time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think the whole point of that arc is that Gaius finds himself looking into the face of himself--literally in one case, with the Emerald Weapon. Valens is doing what Gaius did, to achieve the same things Gaius wanted to do. Right down to adopting war orphans. The only difference in what they were doing is in the why, and the point Gaius ends up facing and acknowledging by the end of it is that the why of it isn't enough, and was never enough to justify or excuse it. That the children he lost are the same children lost to every war.

Gaius was a power-hungry authoritarian who outright went rogue before the empire even fell to satiate his desire for conquest under the belief and justification that only the strong should rule because only they'd have the means to protect. He saw others as future citizens and was socially egalitarian. This is largely why he can manage a redemption arc: there are understandable desires and idealistic goals twisted up by a lust for power and the rhetoric of empire. I suspect if we ever got a more in-depth explanation on why Werlyt was so willing to bring him in it'd probably be because his actions and reforms weren't outwardly malicious and in some ways may have even been decent, in the same kind of way Gabranth's were for Bozja.

Him loving Livia is really gross though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have gotten two weird Says and no tells so it sounds like I've had it lucky

The most I've ever gotten for being a Roe is people talking about how they hardly ever see one. That or mentioning how much taller i am than everyone else.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hogama posted:

as anecdotes go I've never gotten any passes on a lala or roe
did get some weird tells once on my highlander dude alt though

drat, I figured as a highlander dude, we'd be practically immune to creeps of all sorts. And I even go running around with a Uraes coat or whatever it's called too!

The only memorable tells I've gotten were people asking me if I was doing a Dante cosplay. It wasn't intentional but I guess I did up looking pretty close to that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ironslave posted:

They went really out of their way to deny that after Sapphire Weapon, though. Personally, I felt to an annoying extent, as someone who never really thought that was the intended subtext in the first place.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ironslave posted:

I think the whole point of that arc is that Gaius finds himself looking into the face of himself--literally in one case, with the Emerald Weapon. Valens is doing what Gaius did, to achieve the same things Gaius wanted to do. Right down to adopting war orphans. The only difference in what they were doing is in the why, and the point Gaius ends up facing and acknowledging by the end of it is that the why of it isn't enough, and was never enough to justify or excuse it. That the children he lost are the same children lost to every war.

Gaius was a power-hungry authoritarian who outright went rogue before the empire even fell to satiate his desire for conquest under the belief and justification that only the strong should rule because only they'd have the means to protect. He saw others as future citizens and was socially egalitarian. This is largely why he can manage a redemption arc: there are understandable desires and idealistic goals twisted up by a lust for power and the rhetoric of empire. I suspect if we ever got a more in-depth explanation on why Werlyt was so willing to bring him in it'd probably be because his actions and reforms weren't outwardly malicious and in some ways may have even been decent, in the same kind of way Gabranth's were for Bozja.

Gaius went Rogue cuz everyone else wanted to drop a big ol rock onto Eorzea and murderize everyone, not because he was too conquest hungry.

The Livia stuff was rejected in the Weapon storyline, she wanted his love and he never gave it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gaius went Rogue cuz everyone else wanted to drop a big ol rock onto Eorzea and murderize everyone, not because he was too conquest hungry.

The Livia stuff was rejected in the Weapon storyline, she wanted his love and he never gave it.

Gaius fed the Scions intel in 1.0, he actually went rogue in 2.0 when he decided he wasn't going to wait for imperial approval or the end of the succession crisis before invading Eorzea for himself.

And yeah, the Livia stuff is how they'd like us to read it now, and I'm glad to do it. I mostly refer to it because that's pretty directly what is being implied at the time, and it's really funny thinking of that vs. how they want us to view him currently.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I was watching a friend play through the game for the first time and even in that very first cut scene with Gaius at lv15 he actually says he hates what the Empire did with Meteor as almost his very spoken first line ingame as he's walking off the airship. He calls it "The Great Sin".

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah i like him because i liked general leo in ff6

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

There's still that one scene, where he says something like "my chambers in an hour" to her, or something to that general effect.

It's kinda hard to interpret that charitably.

Personally I'dve liked Werlyt more if, even if Gaius is a standup guy who redeems himself on top of showing (not just telling) his good intentions, the WoL just constantly, constantly had dialogue options dunking on him and giving him the stankface like when we first run into him in the Burn.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mazed posted:

There's still that one scene, where he says something like "my chambers in an hour" to her, or something to that general effect.

Personally I'dve liked Werlyt more if, even if Gaius is a standup guy who redeems himself on top of showing (not just telling) his good intentions, the WoL just constantly, constantly had dialogue options dunking on him and giving him the stankface like when we first run into him in the Burn.

I would not have taken those, but they should have been an option.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mazed posted:

Turns out all he did was have her act as his private rehearsal audience while he worked out his Praetorium speech.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Gaius's ARR goal was to subjugate Eorzea before they could start summoning more primals and gently caress things up even further, he just went about it in literally the worst way possible morally, logistically, just every decision he did exactly the wrong thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mazed posted:

More than that, I'd like moments of random bystanders giving him poo poo for his previous actions. The WoL doesn't need to be the mouthpiece of every single injustice in the world (although I'd like more options to bring them up), I think it would carry more weight and be more interesting to just have Random Nobody Fisherman call him out for what happened to his family in the war.

In retrospect, I'd also like to hear what Gaius' rule over Ala Mhigo was like compared to Zenos'. We know Zenos loved him some suppression through vilification, but it seems like that was never Gaius' style, and I'd like to know how their rules over the same place differed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chillgamesh posted:

I was watching a friend play through the game for the first time and even in that very first cut scene with Gaius at lv15 he actually says he hates what the Empire did with Meteor as almost his very spoken first line ingame as he's walking off the airship. He calls it "The Great Sin".

thinking way back when I was a newbie and seeing that cutscene and having no idea what anyone was talking about lol

Cleretic posted:

More than that, I'd like moments of random bystanders giving him poo poo for his previous actions. The WoL doesn't need to be the mouthpiece of every single injustice in the world (although I'd like more options to bring them up), I think it would carry more weight and be more interesting to just have Random Nobody Fisherman call him out for what happened to his family in the war.

In retrospect, I'd also like to hear what Gaius' rule over Ala Mhigo was like compared to Zenos'. We know Zenos loved him some suppression through vilification, but it seems like that was never Gaius' style, and I'd like to know how their rules over the same place differed.

Like half of every Werlyt quest is someone from Ala Mhigo and Terncliff yelling at him

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

isn't one of gaius' companions literally a guy that's there specifically to murder him instantly if he catches him slipping?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Rhonne posted:

The most I've ever gotten for being a Roe is people talking about how they hardly ever see one. That or mentioning how much taller i am than everyone else.

Same here. I actually changed to Roe in small part because my Viera had a stalker. It was another Viera on my server, and she started PMing me when she saw me to tell me my aesthetic was good, but then like... kept going... then did it again. Then started doing it whenever she saw me. I could have just blocked her, but I'd already been thinking on swapping, anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The last time I got any comments on being a roegadame was in the first eden tier I joined a pf group for what was an all popoto static.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ivypls posted:

isn't one of gaius' companions literally a guy that's there specifically to murder him instantly if he catches him slipping?

Yeah, there's that one guy (who's also one of maybe two Duskwights in any main or side content whose story is about him being a Duskwight, so that's cool), but that's still someone who's saying 'he's doing good work now', it's just with an asterisk of 'but if he slips up I'll shank him'.

I want the high fantasy equivalent of the nobody who slides into a politician's PR appearance to go 'gently caress you, my wife's dead because of you'.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

"Ms. Hobbesmaster, are you our chaperone?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

I want the high fantasy equivalent of the nobody who slides into a politician's PR appearance to go 'gently caress you, my wife's dead because of you'.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

M'naago's practically the head of the Resistance at this point. They're not really a no one.

I'd probably laugh if we had a random NPC throw a shoe at Gaius though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When the screen at the end came up and said CHAPTER FOUR RETURN OF THE QUEEN, did that mean we had just finished chapter four, or we're just starting it?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know if I'd entirely call Sorrows of Werylt a "feel good redemption story," like, I guess Gauis gets his cool moment, but it feels less like redemption and more like atonement?

Badger of Basra posted:

When the screen at the end came up and said CHAPTER FOUR RETURN OF THE QUEEN, did that mean we had just finished chapter four, or we're just starting it?

Yes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Another question: is Diablo Armament a reference? The music to me says reference, but when I googled it nothing came up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FortMan posted:

"Ms. Hobbesmaster, are you our chaperone?"

I was a SCH so yes, yes I was! :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Badger of Basra posted:

Another question: is Diablo Armament a reference? The music to me says reference, but when I googled it nothing came up.

There's resemblances all over the place, but nothing complete, direct or overt. The music is a mashup of the Bozja theme and Wrath of the Eikons, a 1.0 voidsent theme that eventually became Diabolos' boss theme. That's fair, because as the field notes describe, the Diablo Armament was likely intended to be the host body the Allagans were going to use to shackle Diabolos. Design-wise, it's got some slight resemblance to The Undying, the final boss of FFXII, but that feels like more coincidence than anything.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Badger of Basra posted:

Bozja has been putting the chapter names at the end.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

The music's a remix/mash-up of Wrath of the Eikons (Diabolos's general theme in XIV), Imperial Will (Garlean theme) and the Bozja leitmotif, and the notes on the weapon itself talk about how the Allagans meant it as an interim vessel for Diabolos. But given the quest's name of "March of the Bloody Queen", it's most likely also a reference to the last boss of Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, which was... Diablo. Some vague resemblance to that boss, too, if you read it as a horned humanoid topping a multi-headed dragon in centaurish configuration (with the tubes as "heads"). You're not going to escape a single Matsuno work!

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 28, 2021

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

not that it matters but it's also painted over neo exdeath's bones which I thought was cute

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dang, I didn't notice that Diablo Armament music had Diabolos leitmotif because the former is actually good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Question about Zadnor’s story for you folks: What choice did you make re: Bajsaljen’s question, and what happened when Misija asked you to kill her? I said that Gabranth and Menenius were ultimately to blame, and when I chose to mercy kill Misija, Bajsaljen did it instead. He looked her right in the eyes and slit her throat.

I ask because someone I talked to said that they said it was Bajsaljen’s choice and chose to kill her, but she succumbed to her wounds before he could

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Question about Zadnor’s story for you folks: What choice did you make re: Bajsaljen’s question, and what happened when Misija asked you to kill her? I said that Gabranth and Menenius were ultimately to blame, and when I chose to mercy kill Misija, Bajsaljen did it instead. He looked her right in the eyes and slit her throat

It changes a couple lines of dialogue in that scene but the scene always progresses to the same final, fatal conclusion. Exactly how the conclusion is reached changes though.