Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics
A CPA, you say? :thunk:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It bears repeating: Pedro's dad sucks.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze is spoiler'd due to bereavement arc.

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

Ah, a John Cage cover band.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 17, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 20, 2024

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

"Do you hear me? I am literally telling you that I don't care if you're not ready! I am ignoring what you're saying, my wonderful darling!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

If I didn't know better, I'd think Jarla did this strip specifically to spite me because how the gently caress do you translate into English a joke about getting a translation from English to Finnish wrong?

The joke in the original Finnish is of course that the dude looked up "nuts" in the dictionary and picked the wrong translation, ending up with literally "delicious nuts, nuts as in the things you screw on bolts", and of course "delicious nuts" as my translation wouldn't work so I hope "female screw" is actually a thing.

For those playing at home, the word he wanted was "pähkinä", or actually the plural form, "pähkinät".

BONUS FINGERPORI

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 20, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 29, 1962)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

God this is gross

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(4/18/1994)

(4/19/1994)

Ziggy

(10/14/1971)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 25, 1936)

Peanuts, guest starring the aching absence of a God who pays attention to us. (March 23, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 20-22, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 23, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 13-15, 1944)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, November 15-20, 1984

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

classic val’s current bad guy is gawain’s wario

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/19/04

Brenda Starr 11/9/52

Smokey Stover 6/12/60

Everyday Movies 5/10/37

"If we take this table and chair out of here we can advertise this vacancy as a double room."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/9/43

A short guy with wild black hair and hypnotic powers? This is two months before Doctor Psycho's first appearance in Wonder Woman.

Closer Than We Think! 6/12/60

I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Is the reactor going to shoot off into space towing the ship behind it?

Bonus Ad! I wish I could call and find out what kind of job this actually is.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Really have to admire RiR's lack of commitment to a bit. Two days of "Meemaw's gonna read books to all the kids at school!" and then, nothing.

Also you should really listen to Mark Trail, Pasquale, cats can devastate local ecosystems and should be kept indoors.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

If I didn't know better, I'd think Jarla did this strip specifically to spite me because how the gently caress do you translate into English a joke about getting a translation from English to Finnish wrong?

The joke in the original Finnish is of course that the dude looked up "nuts" in the dictionary and picked the wrong translation, ending up with literally "delicious nuts, nuts as in the things you screw on bolts", and of course "delicious nuts" as my translation wouldn't work so I hope "female screw" is actually a thing.

For those playing at home, the word he wanted was "pähkinä", or actually the plural form, "pähkinät".

BONUS FINGERPORI

The screw in part of a screw is considered “male” and the part you insert into is “female”.
Never referred to this way with a nut and bolt since it’s always implied that a nut is “female”. Usually it refers to hoses and power plugs.
So yea poorly translated you could get female screw.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I swear Cul De Sac has been posted to completion multiple times through these threads and every time it comes around there's a ton of strips that don't seem familiar at all!

This isn't a complaint, just an observation - it's a great strip and maybe even things I've seen before seem fresh since they're very good

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Crab Dad posted:

The screw in part of a screw is considered “male” and the part you insert into is “female”.
Never referred to this way with a nut and bolt since it’s always implied that a nut is “female”. Usually it refers to hoses and power plugs.
So yea poorly translated you could get female screw.

I think the best way to translate is to drop the hex nut bit and just go for the low hanging fruit.

Delicious Testicles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arbetor posted:

low hanging fruit.

Delicious Testicles.

:haw:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

He's the color of blop.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Norfolk Southern strikes again! :argh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thatbastardken posted:

Is Bok still wearing his prison rags? Kind of uncool, Flash. Get your new buddy some fly threads asap.
I think those shorts are new. He just dresses like that.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

yeah, the Inquisitor clearly has it out for him, and the royal family weeeere not what you would call any kind of 'useful' in this last endeavor.
Yeah we saw that meeting with Brian Blessed, she knows drat well Flash didn't do it but she needs somebody to pin it on and he was convenient.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Look at that cat's face. That cat is making GBS threads in that drawer, and who can blame him?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Corto Maltese

Blueberry

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Fair play to him, even by Holbrook's own sledgerhammer-subtle visual metaphor and exposition styles, these basketball jokes have been *terrible*

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

As we all know, as long as you are completely unaware of the necks you're stepping on, it does no harm.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/12/60

I have no idea how this is supposed to work. Is the reactor going to shoot off into space towing the ship behind it?

It's a reactor powering a set of low-power, constant output electric ion thrusters, located both on the reactor and around the crew module. You'd coordinate the thrust to avoid stressing the coaxial link cable, though given the miniscule output thrust from the ion engines you've got a lot of wiggle room for balancing. It's not a terrible plan.

You've got your critical power source located a mile away from the crew who need to maintain it, so that could be fun. You also need to do something with it when you've finished your mission, but space littering was not really a concern at the time.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

... But you *could* be.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I hate that the Holbrook basketball team will probably win just because main character coach.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 21, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 22, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 19, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 12, 1919)

Us Boys(March 20, 1912)

The Gumps(April 18, 1917)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goals

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

As if Dustin hasn't suffered enough, this woman is trying to get him a job with Antonin Scalia.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cisheteronormative Motherly Values As Dispensed By James Earl Jones. ...okay I'd probably listen if he was saying them.

The Third Time Bumblebee Filed A Sexual Harassment Grievance In The Workplace

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/3/52

Archie 11/24-26/49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wrKudQkKCY

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/25-27/77

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As if Dustin hasn't suffered enough, this woman is trying to get him a job with Antonin Scalia.

This just adds to the theory that the temp agency lady is just Ed in a wig since there's like a 100% chance he clerked for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (November 3-7, 2005)