Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think the full stone still does this in 2. I helped my friend best Dragonrider, then I summoned him for the same boss.
host's side

but honestly just read a wiki at this point, all the idiosyncrasies are well documented at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The only aspect of DS2's online that kind of sucks (other than no red eye orb but eh, cheat engine) is the fact that you don't get summoned in a fresh-from-the-bonfire state, you get summoned in whatever state you're in in your own world so you can't really place a sign at the bonfire and go through the level yourself at the same time.

Other than that it's amazing how many excellent ideas they just completely threw away from DS2.

Small sign
Invading a world with 2+ phantoms locks everybody's flasks and spell herbs
Game still makes sound while minimized, so you can hear the sound stop (you got summoned) or your character standing up from the bonfire (you got invaded)
Summons don't have their health or healing crippled in any way
Invasions are a constant threat
You can completely opt out of invasions but still co-op (ok you can't do that)
Just excellent invader-invadee balance in general

B Team Best Team

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bonfire Aescetics :worship:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
"And lo, these shall be the days when the people shall cry out for Dark Souls 2, but they shall not find it, for it was discarded due to endless elevators and a bit of bad texture work."

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do appreciate that THE B TEAM has become a term of endearment now. :v:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
well no you see dark souls 2 is in fact literally satan and I will prove it through this complex theorem of..... :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm just glad the B team could move past the abortive disaster that was Dark Souls 2 and went on to become productive members of From through their work on Bloodborne DLC and Dark Souls 3.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think the full stone still does this in 2. I helped my friend best Dragonrider, then I summoned him for the same boss.

If you're talking about Heide's that's a special case, because there is a second boss in that area that is tied to the same bonfire.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Ratbro "invasions" where you got to be a fun pvp dick with - specifically crafted - area advantage without the opponent being penalized for dying, plus giving him the chance to win a lockstone was such a good idea (or at least until the respawns ran out)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What difference does being embered make besides increasing your health?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What difference does being embered make besides increasing your health?

You can summon phantoms, but can also be invaded

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hanales posted:

If you're talking about Heide's that's a special case, because there is a second boss in that area that is tied to the same bonfire.

AH. OK that makes sense.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You want to talk fun special cases, try co-opping the second half of Eleum Loyce after Aava is dead :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sapozhnik posted:

You want to talk fun special cases, try co-opping the second half of Eleum Loyce after Aava is dead :v:

Is that the area where you can get stuck on the opposite side of one of the gray "you can't pass here" fog walls from your co-operator because you spawn in on the wrong side? I know there was one area like that in these games but I don't remember where.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Ratbro "invasions" where you got to be a fun pvp dick with - specifically crafted - area advantage without the opponent being penalized for dying, plus giving him the chance to win a lockstone was such a good idea (or at least until the respawns ran out)

err, no. Doors of Pharros was a lovely level. Take away the water and the mastodons and it's a decent level, maybe. Now it's just obnoxious. There's a reason literally no rat-bro ever stays at the end of the gauntlet, they're always right at the spawn entrance.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess all of you DS2 apologists are forgetting that they removed the wacky physics from corpses???

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Or they're just super boring and backstab you moments after getting in their world.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The good invasion mechanics are completely squandered on invasions being a hassle to do and the very slim possibly of being inavded.

Honestly all of my dark souls2 opinions are irrelevant because rolling feels like complete rear end and it's the lynch pin mechanic of the game so I'll never truly like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite DS2 invasions are invading the Pilgrims of Dark singleplayer areas because almost no one realizes you even can. You get a bonus reward of an ascetic if you kill the host, who has to burn another effigy to try again, the npcs in there attack you both equally, and the host is usually panicking about it. It's great. Between that and making sure no one touches a god damned bell DS2 was great for pvp.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The good invasion mechanics are completely squandered on invasions being a hassle to do and the very slim possibly of being inavded.

Honestly all of my dark souls2 opinions are irrelevant because rolling feels like complete rear end and it's the lynch pin mechanic of the game so I'll never truly like it.
I still have no idea what you're talking about here, with 100 agi it seems just like ds1 rolling.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I haven't used ds1 rolling in five years so I'll have to take your word for that. I assume I wouldn't like ds1's clunky mechanics coming from ds3 either, since I considered ds2 an improvement when it was new.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I find DS1 and 2 really easy to get back into and play but I'm generally able to separate stuff like that, like how people were saying they could never go back to Skyrim after Witcher 3 and I was playing Morrowind and Oblivion.

That said going from BB to DS3 sucked a lot because I kept pressing the wrong button to heal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I beat ds2 years ago and recently did 1, then 3, then the 2 dlcs and switching between them wasnt too bad.

Switching between Bayonetta and Dark souls was disastrous though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

No Wave posted:

I beat ds2 years ago and recently did 1, then 3, then the 2 dlcs and switching between them wasnt too bad.

Switching between Bayonetta and Dark souls was disastrous though.

I just beat aldia last week. Everyone talks up 2 so much I wanted to give it another go and I still hate all the beloved bosses and stuff. Something about it just refuses to click with me.

And oh man that sounds like a hilarious disaster

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is the most positive thread on ds2 probably on the entire internet, you certainly aren't alone in general.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

But he should be, DS2's overall superiority is actually provable.

After all, it is the only Dark Souls game where you can perform a Dragon Punch.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Which Dark Souls had better exploration?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS1, by virtue of the fact that not everything was spoiled within a week.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Yeah basically.

Though 2 and 3 are probably better scenic jaunts

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i actually liked ds2, i feel like i was invaded there way more than i have been in any other game

ds1 pvp was still my favorite though

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tallgeese posted:

Can't you just not pay attention to spoilers?

This is the first one I've played, just wondering how the rest compare in terms of discovery.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS1 is probably still the best for that sense of exploration.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS3's world sucks because it's just Cathedral Souls for a good chunk of the game

DS2's world is a bit videogamey but you can't deny that it is at least varied. There's nothing as cool as Brume Tower in DS3, for instance.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think my biggest problem with invasions, as a total casual, is that there's no real distinction between people who are human either because they want more health/want to summon vs because they're down for being invaded. I really suck and pvp and don't really find it fun, but I like co-oping, so when I get invaded it means I'm probably going to die really quickly, it wastes everyone's time, and no one had fun (unless you really like beating up helpless opponents). I wish there was just like a ring or something people could wear to get high priority in the invasion queue and then normies would only get invaded when there are no people wearing that ring. There just needs to be a way so that whatever people who are into invasions that are online can all be connected to each other.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

cis autodrag posted:

(unless you really like beating up helpless opponents).

Son, do I have bad news for you about most invaders, especially in the DS1 era...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

(unless you really like beating up helpless opponents)

Do you like hurting other people?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you like hurting other people?

Not really, no. My only nasty gaming pleasure is playing complicated cooperative board games with my really nerdy friends and trying to play in a way that is suboptimal and will sabotage the team but without it being obvious that I don't just suck at the game.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Man, I'm suprised how busy the PvP in non-DLC areas still is.

Also, I wish the PvP in this game wasn't unplayably laggy.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I think my biggest problem with invasions, as a total casual, is that there's no real distinction between people who are human either because they want more health/want to summon vs because they're down for being invaded. I really suck and pvp and don't really find it fun, but I like co-oping, so when I get invaded it means I'm probably going to die really quickly, it wastes everyone's time, and no one had fun (unless you really like beating up helpless opponents). I wish there was just like a ring or something people could wear to get high priority in the invasion queue and then normies would only get invaded when there are no people wearing that ring. There just needs to be a way so that whatever people who are into invasions that are online can all be connected to each other.

Equip Way of the Blue. Now when you get invaded there's a chance some friendly players will arrive to help you repel those mean, no-good, rotten, not-nice at all reds and purples. Keep an eye out for Sunbros too (Yellow summon) since that covenant is strictly dedicated to co-op and jolly cooperation (and yields some very good miracles for FTH builds).

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

And Tyler Too! posted:

Equip Way of the Blue. Now when you get invaded there's a chance some friendly players will arrive to help you repel those mean, no-good, rotten, not-nice at all reds and purples.

It still makes the whole thing a waste of time if you just don't find that part of the game fun. Why have a 5-10 minute interruption when all you wanted to do was run to the boss with your sunbro and co-op it? The online play in Dark Souls is basically "you get the firehose" if you want any part of it.