Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Totally Huge posted:

Posting from Awful.app on my M1 laptop. I think I’ll continue using a browser.

The Android one is better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Will 256GB be enough to install Windows in addition to macOS if Microsoft surprises everyone and releases an arm license? I'm waiting to buy the base Air (still not available in Ukraine), not very interested in getting pricier builds because I'd like to see what they release next year.
Also why do I see so many people installing Chrome on macs?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Shy posted:

Will 256GB be enough to install Windows in addition to macOS if Microsoft surprises everyone and releases an arm license? I'm waiting to buy the base Air (still not available in Ukraine), not very interested in getting pricier builds because I'd like to see what they release next year.

You can switch back and forth with Windows and keep all your extensions and bookmarks. Also, Chrome just has way more extensions for it.
And Google is/used to be really pissy about not allowing 4k support on Youtube if you use Safari.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 12, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shy posted:

Some time back on Catalina, Safari ran into a bug where it would just refuse to load websites, including our very own SA forum, without some sort of issue. I was an ardent Safari used for years now but the way they've hosed up extensions as well as it not loading certain sites properly, I gave up and went back to Chrome. I'm mainly on desktop these days so battery isn't really a concern any more.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shy posted:

chromecasting and media streaming. mostly use safari for work or if i'm browsing unplugged for long periods, firefox for personal, and chrome for video.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shy posted:

Chrome is the new IE. Webapps are built assuming you’ll use chrome. Browsing on desktop safari, you will occasionally encounter broken things.

If you just give up and use chrome, all your browsing history, passwords, etc is synced across every device you have. Chrome runs everywhere, safari doesn’t.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
And Microsoft edge is the new, better version of chrome.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Lord Bude posted:

It's just chromium with stuff in there for Microsoft to track you instead of Google.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I still use Firefox :unsmith:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's just chromium with stuff in there for Microsoft to track you instead of Google.

I trust Microsoft more than I do google; the privacy settings are considerably more robust than chrome's were when I made the switch, and it has a bunch of Microsoft added stuff making it more secure and better performing than chrome.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you need to use Chrome/Chromium, Chrome and Edge are definitely, by far, the worst options for privacy.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

FCKGW posted:

I still use Firefox :unsmith:

Same. If safari was as extensible and customizable, I’d switch though. I have no allegiance to the engine itself, I just need noscript and squared tabs

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Just got my M1 Mac Mini yesterday - I'm noticing a troubling problem, though - has anyone else experienced their screen (4K monitor connected by USB-C) going black for a few seconds at a time? It's a bit hard to peg down but it seems to happen to me when the "video card" has to change what it's doing (i.e. switching to an iOS app or a full screen game or video).

I'm skeptical of keeping hardware that might have problems like this - should I just send it back for replacement or is there a good way to troubleshoot/solve?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Just got my M1 Mac Mini yesterday - I'm noticing a troubling problem, though - has anyone else experienced their screen (4K monitor connected by USB-C) going black for a few seconds at a time? It's a bit hard to peg down but it seems to happen to me when the "video card" has to change what it's doing (i.e. switching to an iOS app or a full screen game or video).

I'm skeptical of keeping hardware that might have problems like this - should I just send it back for replacement or is there a good way to troubleshoot/solve?

have you tried a different cable

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Watch them fork it down the line like Google did from WebKit way back (and Apple from KHTML I guess).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Does your monitor not have an HDMI port?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

have you tried a different cable

Mister Facetious posted:

Does your monitor not have an HDMI port?

Good ideas - I hadn't thought of it because the USB-C cable was working fine for my MacBook. I'll try an HDMI cable and report back.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
apparently the problem with my gf’s refund MBA was that it sucked and i sent it back to the vendor with a note to eat my rear end. she just got her new M1 MBA yesterday and it’s screaming fast without any fan bullshit. however, i’m worried that 8GB of RAM might be limiting down the line. is it worth picking up the 16gb version when they become available in a few weeks?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you plan to use it for more than 3-5 years I'd get the 16 gigs. I think most of us could get by with 8gigs for now but who knows what OS updates are like in the future.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

apparently the problem with my gf’s refund MBA was that it sucked and i sent it back to the vendor with a note to eat my rear end. she just got her new M1 MBA yesterday and it’s screaming fast without any fan bullshit. however, i’m worried that 8GB of RAM might be limiting down the line. is it worth picking up the 16gb version when they become available in a few weeks?

8GB is current minimum for usability. It’ll hurt in a few years just like 4GB hurts now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Your battery is probably going to be shot in 3 years anyway.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 13, 2020

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think 8GB is pretty good to get in. I figure the resale on the base MBA should be still decent in three years so I could ideally sell this one and go for whatever the base M1X/M2/M3 or whatever MBA is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I ordered a 13" Air 7 core GPU with 16GB/256GB yesterday, curious to see when it ends up getting delivered. Plan to sell off my i7/32GB/256GB/10GBe Mini once it gets here.

I can't wait to see what it cuts my work NodeJS compile times by.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Twerk from Home posted:

Chrome is the new IE. Webapps are built assuming you’ll use chrome. Browsing on desktop safari, you will occasionally encounter broken things.

If you just give up and use chrome, all your browsing history, passwords, etc is synced across every device you have. Chrome runs everywhere, safari doesn’t.

This except opposite. If you use Safari all your passwords and other browsing metadata is shared between your devices within the Apple ecosystem, not the Google one, and is maintained at the OS level where it can be shared across apps and managed in Keychain Viewer.

But safari can’t view webp’s and will lose your place when jumping to the last read post on SA so gently caress it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Data Graham posted:

But safari can’t view webp’s and will lose your place when jumping to the last read post on SA so gently caress it

It used to work... :smith:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s embeds that gently caress up the scroll position isn’t it? :(

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Last Chance posted:

It’s embeds that gently caress up the scroll position isn’t it? :(

Yeah, it works fine on a page with no links to twitter or images. It's just that it defaults to that location and then loads all that stuff after and you get pushed up.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah iirc chrome did something that helps prevent that. Still not going to use it over safari.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s just sooooo niiiiiice when it works :cry:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kingnothing posted:

8GB is current minimum for usability. It’ll hurt in a few years just like 4GB hurts now.
alright i’ll check out a 16gb version! thanks!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Yeah, tons of displayport problems here - I have to re-seat the cable every time it goes to sleep as well. Same behavior on 3 different monitors and varieties of cables that work fine on multiple other machines.

krysmopompas fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 13, 2020

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I had that happen when connecting my new MBA to my TV, and getting a different USB-C to HDMI adapter fixed it.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
I was just using Firefox briefly only M1 Air for the first time and noticed it started getting warm and saw moderate CPU utilization. I'm surprised Firefox is still not a universal binary, but it made me realize I haven't really bothered running many things through Rosetta yet. Curious if that is typical or just Firefox being sucky. I only had a few tabs up.

Also, I have Apple Cash building up (I normally use it for buying snacks at the office or whatever and well, that doesn't happen anymore) so I bought Disco Elysium from the App Store to try out a game. It got fairly warm after a few minutes of playing but nothing crazy. I installed it on my 16" Pro too and the fan wasn't on full blast or anything but it definitely got warmer than the Air. I don't really game on Macs other than roguelikes but I've been wanting to try that game out. I had no real idea what to expect but it feels like a modern Lucas Arts point and click adventure, which is cool.

I'd like to try setting up QEMU and installing some VMs but I'll probably wait on that. As soon as I can easily install and run Linux VMs this laptop will be near perfect for me.

Oh yeah, and I don't know if its all in my head or because it is brand new but the keyboard on this thing feels better than my 16". The keys have a tiny bit more resistance. Unsurprisingly I don't miss the Touch Bar at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Totally Huge posted:

I was just using Firefox briefly only M1 Air for the first time and noticed it started getting warm and saw moderate CPU utilization. I'm surprised Firefox is still not a universal binary, but it made me realize I haven't really bothered running many things through Rosetta yet. Curious if that is typical or just Firefox being sucky. I only had a few tabs up.

Also, I have Apple Cash building up (I normally use it for buying snacks at the office or whatever and well, that doesn't happen anymore) so I bought Disco Elysium from the App Store to try out a game. It got fairly warm after a few minutes of playing but nothing crazy. I installed it on my 16" Pro too and the fan wasn't on full blast or anything but it definitely got warmer than the Air. I don't really game on Macs other than roguelikes but I've been wanting to try that game out. I had no real idea what to expect but it feels like a modern Lucas Arts point and click adventure, which is cool.

I'd like to try setting up QEMU and installing some VMs but I'll probably wait on that. As soon as I can easily install and run Linux VMs this laptop will be near perfect for me.

Oh yeah, and I don't know if its all in my head or because it is brand new but the keyboard on this thing feels better than my 16". The keys have a tiny bit more resistance. Unsurprisingly I don't miss the Touch Bar at all.
I thought the native Firefox was released, or is it just a beta still?

QEMU is really slow emulating x86, isn’t it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2017 MBP spanking the M1 in a couple SIMD benchmarks

https://lemire.me/blog/2020/12/13/arm-macbook-vs-intel-macbook-a-simd-benchmark/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This is a great read, especially the analysis around Apple's plan to used dedicated hardware for the types of tasks where SIMD is most useful.

I think that Intel seems to be over-investing in SIMD with things like AVX-512, which is a mishmash of different instructions supported in different places, cause the core to down-clock aggressively to keep thermals constrained, and most of the things that AVX-512 gets big gains on can also be done on a GPU or single-purpose hardware, like the TPUs that Google is building or dedicated crypto hardware.

I wonder how often Intel gets big design wins or financial payoff specifically because of AVX-512, or their better AVX-256 performance vs AMD.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

I thought the native Firefox was released, or is it just a beta still?

QEMU is really slow emulating x86, isn’t it?

I noticed the native FF beta after my post and installed it. I haven't really kicked the tires yet.

I'm more interested in virtualization of an arm64 distro than emulating x86, but either way messing with qemu would be 'for fun' rather than for production in my case. From what little I've read it doesn't seem worth playing with yet. Hopefully VMWare and or Parallels don't take forever to release something.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Someone on the Hacker News discussion of this article (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25408853) pointed out that there may be a mistake in this article: it appears that the benchmark doesn't run on arm64, and the results that the author got are very similar to the results the commenter got on their M1 Air running through Rosetta 2.

Not to say that the M1 wouldn't still get spanked, just that the test doesn't seem to give the results the author think it does.

Edit: someone fixed the code so it runs natively on arm64, and got 6.6gbps minify and 16.4gbps for validate. Not as fast as the Intel MBP, but not the spanking the author initially reported.

JagerNinja fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 13, 2020

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

i honestly don't find these kinds of articles (and anything else with limited activity benches) very interesting. Of course some activities will prefer a different architecture if they have specialized hardware dedicated to it? Even anandtech mixed benches show intel edging out some tests..
This one is especially dumb because showing a single very specialized benchmark saying "Wow it's so much better" as if the technically inclined people who understand SIMD would find these results surprising. The in-good-faith audience for this article are the people who use 256 bit SIMD operations a lot, which is probably not who the author is targeting.

edit: actually reading back to his original post, i guess he is just defending his original take from people who do not understand so it's reasonable

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

JagerNinja posted:

Someone on the Hacker News discussion of this article (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25408853) pointed out that there may be a mistake in this article: it appears that the benchmark doesn't run on arm64, and the results that the author got are very similar to the results the commenter got on their M1 Air running through Rosetta 2.

Not to say that the M1 wouldn't still get spanked, just that the test doesn't seem to give the results the author think it does.

Edit: someone fixed the code so it runs natively on arm64, and got 6.6gbps minify and 16.4gbps for validate. Not as fast as the Intel MBP, but not the spanking the author initially reported.

One also suspects that the arm64 codepath has seen little or no tuning, given that the HN commenter had to force it to compile with ARM NEON SIMD because the program's mess of macros weren't detecting this correctly.

For someone with his academic credentials and focus on arguing with concrete numbers, the author seems remarkably incurious about validating whether his testing is actually testing what he intended to test. He just compiles and reports the first numbers he gets and makes sweeping declarations about M1 SIMD being bad.