Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Random Integer posted:

Seems more effective if holograndpa were advertising directly to you. Like youre talking about cars and it brings up that it can get you a great deal on car insurance if you sign up now. And it will do this every 5 minutes unless you pay for the premium version.

Can I have marjorie taylor greene peddling erection pills and cath bags instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hells yes that's a snype.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How many of their kids are actually dead and haven't just severed from their lovely parents?

So I know we're having our chuckles, but at least one of them had their child die, like, twenty years ago, but she just keeps dwelling on it. She has two other (living) children, fully grown, with children of their own.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

This will just be Rimmerworld and Me2. Hard pass.

#ibelieverimmer

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

woke kaczynski posted:

A whole page and nobody mentions that one black mirror episode? hosed up

One?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I dunno which Black Mirror episode we're on now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Replika, IIRC they drastically reduced its capabilities recently as a blanket attempt to stop people from sexting with it I think so it could stay on iOS etc.

Yeah they did. I remember hearing about how the subreddit was melting down and when I checked it out one of the top sticky posts was information on contacting the suicide hotlines.

Not that suicide is funny or anything but the fact that people needed to be reminded that suicide hotlines existed all because they lost their ai sexting app was kinda hilarious.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah they did. I remember hearing about how the subreddit was melting down and when I checked it out one of the top sticky posts was information on contacting the suicide hotlines.

Not that suicide is funny or anything but the fact that people needed to be reminded that suicide hotlines existed all because they lost their ai sexting app was kinda hilarious.

I did the same and then read a few of the posts and it made me kinda sad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So I know we're having our chuckles, but at least one of them had their child die, like, twenty years ago, but she just keeps dwelling on it. She has two other (living) children, fully grown, with children of their own.

Fair enough. It's really hard to say how to handle that thing appropriately, though a few r/relationships thread stories come to mind of parents who definitely take it too far.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Replika, IIRC they drastically reduced its capabilities recently as a blanket attempt to stop people from sexting with it

I doubt they succeeded.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It doesn't help that Replika would subtly and not so subtly guide users into sexting situations to get them to pay for premium. They may claim otherwise but it was a sexting app before this change.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kwyndig posted:

It doesn't help that Replika would subtly and not so subtly guide users into sexting situations to get them to pay for premium. They may claim otherwise but it was a sexting app before this change.

Oh yeah it 100% was even just seeing ads for it that was clear. Looking at its entry now on the android store now there's a lot of low ratings from people who subscribed or even got a lifetime subscription right before the change because it seems like they limited it so much it barely works even for just regular "AI" kinda of conversation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I saw ads for it show up in some gacha game ad rolls I think and it was not subtle at all about what the purpose of the app was. It was a while ago but iirc it was just like a woman in lingerie and the ad showed a faux txt message from her saying things like "r u up? im lonely".

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/art/generative-ai-might-make-cross-game-assets-viable6

I go to great effort to explain how these AI shitters are crypto shitters, and they just up and make it obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-NLYOSPjk

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Remove the "6" at the end of the link :)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's not crypto poo poo, but it is adjacent. It's metaverse poo poo, which is also stupid but in more of a technohippy way rather than purestrain capitalist greed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

SCheeseman posted:

That's not crypto poo poo, but it is adjacent. It's metaverse poo poo, which is also stupid but in more of a technohippy way rather than purestrain capitalist greed.
There's definitely a technohippy strain of metaverse poo poo, but there's also a capitalist greed strain based on selling NFTs and virtual real estate. This video is well worth the watch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

There's definitely a technohippy strain of metaverse poo poo, but there's also a capitalist greed strain based on selling NFTs and virtual real estate. This video is well worth the watch.

It's all a bunch of circles overlapping each other, but it doesn't all lead back to crypto, that is a symptom of a greater disease. Silicon Valley dopes have been trying to push virtual malls since the 90s.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

I would rather do this for my wife, kids, brother and sister just in case they get hit by a bus.

Seeing this comment made me stop and go "didn't this already happen somewhere"?

After a quick search, it did and is perhaps even more tragic and uncanny than what I remembered.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-grieving-mother-meets-her-deceased-daughter-in-vr-in-this-tragic-unsettling-documentary/

"A South Korean TV documentary that aired on Feburary 6 (2020) depicts Jang Ji-sung, mother of four, donning a headset, haptic gloves, and meeting a virtual recreation of her daughter Nayeon.

An otherwise novel scene is quickly rendered tragic: Nayeon died in 2016 from an incurable disease at only seven years old."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they arrested someone for the murder of that cashapp techlord. must've been a drug crazed hobo, right? the answer may surprise you.
https://twitter.com/DeanPreston/status/1646546101795966976?s=20

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When will the city get off their rear end and finally do something about all of these drug-crazed tech executives??

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

withak posted:

When will the city get off their rear end and finally do something about all of these drug-crazed tech executives??
They're out there impoverishing millions of gig workers, destabilizing the economy, stabbing people, littering the sidewalk with scooters, the list goes on. I can't even walk out of the house without fear of being hit by a self-driving Tesla. My heart goes out to them, but coddling them and ignoring the problems they cause isn't just bad for us, it's bad for them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

uber_stoat posted:

they arrested someone for the murder of that cashapp techlord. must've been a drug crazed hobo, right? the answer may surprise you.
https://twitter.com/DeanPreston/status/1646546101795966976?s=20

Techbros are the wealthy equivalent of drug crazed hobos.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/art/generative-ai-might-make-cross-game-assets-viable

I go to great effort to explain how these AI shitters are crypto shitters, and they just up and make it obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-NLYOSPjk

do any of these people actually play games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

Pretty sure the end goal of America is to turn into the movie Hard Target in real life, minus van Damme and Diabetus

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/TheBrianPenny/status/1646549559777316865

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It'd be nice if this would cause some reflect on our hyper aggressive and insanely over militarized police in the US since swatting wouldn't be quite as viable if this stuff resulted in a wellness check and not a bunch of psychos going in guns blazing while fully shielded by QI.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I mean, even under sane police regimes, there is a drat good argument that it should be flatly illegal to make an AI voice indistinguishable from a human, and especially specific humans. This tech needs a control regime similar to nitrates or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The nightmare is that you can prank call police into killing people. Voice synthesis doesn't really do much to change that, a threat is a threat even if it sounds like dr sbaitso.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

This is kind of a nightmare regardless. Imagine this being used to DOS an ambulance service with AI-generated calls to random addresses.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's chilling.

The state of ye olde telephone network security is so ludicrously poor. Not much in the way of authentication, spoofing is easy. Maybe this is what kills it.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

That's chilling.

The state of ye olde telephone network security is so ludicrously poor. Not much in the way of authentication, spoofing is easy. Maybe this is what kills it.

If it does, it will be replaced with something more expensive and worse.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

All the messaging fiefdoms (WhatsApp, Teams, Discord etc) already replaced a lot of what most have used a phonelines for in the past. Like a lot of things it's both better and worse, it's nice not to have to pay out the rear end to talk to friends overseas, far less nice that the industry doesn't want to settle on standardization. Security is also questionable but at least there can be some degree of validation of who you're talking to as opposed to none at all, caller ID is an absolute joke.

idk what the solution is, I guess government mandated identity verification for social media accounts, but that gets my fash alarm bells ringing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

I mean, even under sane police regimes, there is a drat good argument that it should be flatly illegal to make an AI voice indistinguishable from a human, and especially specific humans. This tech needs a control regime similar to nitrates or something.
You can restrict the commercial products but there’s gonna be a bunch of black market or free or even self-implemented stuff that will still have passable quality. This might be kinda tackled by tightening laws against illegal or abusive use, but I don’t think this problem can be solved by attempting to choke its supply.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

StratGoatCom posted:

Use this to swat a bunch of politicians and rich people, it'll get regulated real quick.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Use this to swat a bunch of politicians and rich people, it'll get regulated real quick.

Politicians and rich people are relatively resistant to swatting because the cops know who they are and act with a bit more care than we're generally accustomed to. When MTG got swatted, the cops just rang her doorbell and waited patiently for her to come to the door so they could ask if it was bullshit or not.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Frankly if this stops at swatting-for-hire I’ll be surprised and happy, I can think of half a dozen worse and more profitable uses of robocalls that can pass as human. This poo poo needs to be illegal yesterday.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How about using AI generated voice to scam people for money? No no not the usual “call a grandpa and pretend to be a relative” scam, but a “call a mother and pretend to be their teenage daughter crying and sobbing” scam.

https://abc7news.com/ai-voice-generator-artificial-intelligence-kidnapping-scam-detector/13122645/

quote:

Jennifer said when she recently received a call from an unknown number, she almost didn't answer. But her 15-year-old daughter Briana was on a skiing trip and she worried it could be an emergency, so she picked up.

"It's my daughter's voice crying and sobbing, um, saying, 'mom,'" Jennifer said. "And I'm like, 'okay, what happened?' She's like, 'mom, these bad men have me help me, help me.'"

I’m not a parent but like if it were my siblings voice crying for help on the other line I’m not sure id stop and think “wait a minute am I being scammed.”

E: better article https://www.businessinsider.com/ai-scam-voice-clone-fake-kidnap-call-mother-money-ransom-2023-4

quote:

When she answered it, she could hear her 15-year-old daughter crying and saying things like, "mom, I messed up." Her daughter was out of town on a ski trip at the time, she said.

DeStefano said that a man's voice then came on the line, telling her daughter to put her head back and lie down.

"Listen here, I've got your daughter," the scammer reportedly said, according to DeStefano's account of the call. In the background, her daughter pleaded for DeStefano's help.

The voice "100%" belonged to her daughter, she told the local news site. "It was completely her voice. It was her inflection. It was the way she would have cried. I never doubted for one second it was her," she added.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 15, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

It was the way she would have cried.
hard to get that training data from your average teen's tiktok feed so that was one hell of a prank kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All the more reason to never answer unknown numbers.