Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Arivia posted:

I’m really looking forward to seeing how that’s not going to work. Sticking X299 and a Vega desktop CPU in an AIO form factor designed for mobile GPUs was crazy when they announced it but could MAYBE work. Now that we know one is a fusion reactor and one is a core sample of the sun, it’s going to be absurd. Oh, and Apple already staked their ground on it being the exact same size as the regular iMac.

Apples new Planned Obsolescence Overheating Phenomena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah the only way that's going to work is to use binned products, then reduce voltages frequencies and throttle those massively under sustained load. Apple is no stranger to either of those strategies though, iirc they often used cut down custom NVIDIA SKUs for MBPs. Even then the air cooled combination of X299 and Vega in a Laptop form factor is going to be hilarious. :allears:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

I’m really looking forward to seeing how that’s not going to work. Sticking X299 and a Vega desktop CPU in an AIO form factor designed for mobile GPUs was crazy when they announced it but could MAYBE work. Now that we know one is a fusion reactor and one is a core sample of the sun, it’s going to be absurd. Oh, and Apple already staked their ground on it being the exact same size as the regular iMac.

Even the current 7600k+RX580 iMacs barely keep themselves from melting:

AppleInsider posted:

Previous iMacs would thermal throttle under extended 100 percent CPU load, and this year's machine is no exception. After about a 15 seconds of full load, the Kaby Lake iMac reached 99 celsius and slowed down from 4.4GHz to 4.3 and after a few more seconds was down to 4.2GHz. For the next 10 minutes of our test, it stayed at about 97 celsius and 4.2GHz, which is the rated clock speed.

And that's just CPU load, running the GPU simultaneously will make it even worse. Good luck with X299+Vega Apple :allears:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol 100 degrees on a 7600k in 15 seconds. Im literally impressed thats even possible and very amused you get to pay Apple for the privelege to witness such a thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I feel retroactively sorry for putting my daily-driver macbook pro through that for 5 years. I'm sorry. :smith: My current CPU has an actual cooler and air and it's much happier now! :unsmith:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

Lol 100 degrees on a 7600k in 15 seconds. Im literally impressed thats even possible and very amused you get to pay Apple for the privelege to witness such a thing

If those are the internal core sensors, that's not even surprising tbh, they show a very different picture than "cpu temp".

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I mean it's not like apple couldn't do some kind of low profile liquid loop for this poo poo connected to a 280mm rad (or two 140mm ones) but lmao no they'll just let the plastic slough off after an hours use and ask you for another 5k for the privilege of using a similar PoS.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Could an old PSU cause GPU usage drops that seem to cause stuttering?

I upgraded my wife's 2500k to a 2600k and her nvidia 460 to an AMD 480 so she can play PUBG.

I've tried DDU with different drivers, playing with voltages, power limits, clocks, etc. The PSU is an antec earthwatts 500W but is over six years old at this point.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It'd probably just result in your drivers crashing instead, but it could maybe be possible? You should probably change the PSU anyway though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Truga posted:

If those are the internal core sensors, that's not even surprising tbh, they show a very different picture than "cpu temp".

From my past experience, no they aren't.

eames
May 9, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Apples new Planned Obsolescence Overheating Phenomena.

O/T and You're probably joking but I bet there are millions of fairly recent rMBPs out there that throttle to 1.2-1.3 Ghz under load because Apple's TIM turned into a dry and brittle mess and the heatsinks/fans are filled with dust and lint. CPU won't perform well anymore, device gets hot, iPhoto (or whatever) becomes laggy, user goes out to buy a new MBP because the old one is slow. Mine was one of them but repasting fixed it.

Their solution for the new MBPs? They mounted CPU and GPU on the other side of the PCB so you have to remove the entire logic board to access the CPU/HSF, making repasting a lot harder and more time consuming for users and repair shops. :fuckoff:

e: if any mac user is curious about this, use this old Intel tool and Handbrake to see if the CPU even holds nominal clockspeed. My old 15" 2.3 Ghz rMBP really throttled to ~15W/1.2 Ghz in Unigine Heaven and boosts to ~3.3 Ghz after cleaning and repasting.

eames fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 28, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

B-Mac posted:

I upgraded my wife's 2500k to a 2600k and her nvidia 460 to an AMD 480 so she can play PUBG.

I've tried DDU with different drivers, playing with voltages, power limits, clocks, etc. The PSU is an antec earthwatts 500W but is over six years old at this point.
The Nvidia 460 and AMD 480 draw draw a very similar amount of power, overclocked the Nvidia 460 probably draws more than an overclocked AMD 480. The 2500K and 2600K are similar too, at stock the 2600K can draw marginally more than the 2500K, like 10 watts, but overclocked both hit the same levels. (I know the official TDP rating for them is the same, but at least in my testing and in reviews I've seen the 2600K proves to use just a bit more power than the 2500K) I don't think any of those changes would be enough to overload a PSU, but if it's an old PSU that's out of warranty just moving stuff around might have been enough to push it over the edge from the mechanical stress of moving wires around and moving the case to put new stuff in.

OTOH, AMD drivers are strange and if you want to know if it's power for sure run Furmark and Prime and see how it responds to that. Furmark isn't a good GPU stability test because it touches a very tiny section of the GPU, but it does draw as much power as you'll ever see to test cooling and power delivery. Similar deal with Prime, it should use more power than you ever see in real world use.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

From my past experience, no they aren't.

Yikes. The cores must be running at like 120 degrees at that point.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

eames posted:

O/T and You're probably joking but I bet there are millions of fairly recent rMBPs out there that throttle to 1.2-1.3 Ghz under load because Apple's TIM turned into a dry and brittle mess and the heatsinks/fans are filled with dust and lint. CPU won't perform well anymore, device gets hot, iPhoto (or whatever) becomes laggy, user goes out to buy a new MBP because the old one is slow. Mine was one of them but repasting fixed it.

Their solution for the new MBPs? They mounted CPU and GPU on the other side of the PCB so you have to remove the entire logic board to access the CPU/HSF, making repasting a lot harder and more time consuming for users and repair shops. :fuckoff:

e: if any mac user is curious about this, use this old Intel tool and Handbrake to see if the CPU even holds nominal clockspeed. My old 15" 2.3 Ghz rMBP really throttled to ~15W/1.2 Ghz in Unigine Heaven and boosts to ~3.3 Ghz after cleaning and repasting.

No matter one's stance on the concept of planned obsolescence, I believe we call all agree that if it were happening Apple is at the top of that list.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

1gnoirents posted:

No matter one's stance on the concept of planned obsolescence, I believe we call all agree that if it were happening Apple is at the top of that list.

It's surprising how much that is not the case with iOS devices. It took 5 years until my 4th gen iPad stopped receiving the latest version of iOS 11, but it still gets updates for the iOS 10. I wish I could get an Android with that level of support.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It's not really "supported" but you can load the latest Android on 5 year old phones too, you just need to turn to something like LineageOS. 7.1 works great on my Nexus 4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Looks like Gigabyte may release custom Vega cards after all?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-will-release-custom-radeon-rx-vega-64-cards.html

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Saukkis posted:

It's surprising how much that is not the case with iOS devices. It took 5 years until my 4th gen iPad stopped receiving the latest version of iOS 11, but it still gets updates for the iOS 10. I wish I could get an Android with that level of support.

I meant more along the lines of the degree Apple designs everything to be non upgrade able and repairable more than designing poo poo to melt down like above. Phones are tablets largely excluded I guess since "everybody does it", but I can tell you right now you are in a minority there. I'm impressed your battery is still ok after all that time.

My work phone is an iphone and I really hate the drat thing more all the time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1gnoirents posted:

I personally think its less a thing companies actively plan for, and more companies not giving a flying gently caress about serviceability/repairability due to consumers generally not caring about those things when making purchasing decisions. It's true in other markets too, like the packaging of engines in cars (yes I would really like to take the whole loving engine out in order to replace the alternator, thanks guys).

I'm guilty of it too. I absolutely put things like thickness and weight above easy serviceability for laptop/tablet/phone purchases.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

I absolutely put things like thickness and weight above easy serviceability for laptop/tablet/phone purchases.

It's you, you're the reason everything is terrible.

I on the other hand pretty much treat iFixit's repairability score as the de facto review score for any product.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Cygni posted:

I personally think its less a thing companies actively plan for, and more companies not giving a flying gently caress about serviceability/repairability due to consumers generally not caring about those things when making purchasing decisions. It's true in other markets too, like the packaging of engines in cars (yes I would really like to take the whole loving engine out in order to replace the alternator, thanks guys).

I'm guilty of it too. I absolutely put things like thickness and weight above easy serviceability for laptop/tablet/phone purchases.

I believe its not so cut and dry. But as far as Apple is concerned, there is a lot of direct evidence of them actually spending more money on a product to make it difficult to service or upgrade. Its probably obvious I'm a pretty big Apple hater (for their computers) but I really do hate that practice.

Its one thing to include the fact its just going to be replaced in 2 years when you design something, as that can and should save you money developing it. Basically everything is guilty of this outside of a regular desktop computer, but the way Apple deals with it puts them in a special place in my heart. My job is ultimately providing computers to corporate clients and lightly speaking supporting the equipment long term which means I have to dick around with the occasional Apple thing and I'm rarely not disappointed with them (and we only get the retarded $4000 machines that are supposed to be good too). The best I can say is "wow it looks nice"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Speaking of antialiasing in places you wouldn't expect, the Nintendo DS actually natively antialiased everything, and with a slightly novel way of accomplishing it, which you can read here as a dec tried to implement it in a an emulator the way the original hardware accomplishes it, rather than just applying typical gpu solutions towards it
Of course, the DS renders at such a low resolution it barely helps anything really

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125908

A gigabyte gtx1080 for 499$ is a pretty good price right? Even the 1070s are going for $500+ due to bitcoins. But i do know that a new card (the 1070ti?) is coming soon so any comments on if this is a good buy?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
http://www.ebay.com/itm/29219620969...true&rmvSB=true

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/71scqq/gpu_gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1080_windforce_oc_44099/

See ^^this^^

Just check out buildapcsales or slickdeals

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ughhhh posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814125908

A gigabyte gtx1080 for 499$ is a pretty good price right? Even the 1070s are going for $500+ due to bitcoins. But i do know that a new card (the 1070ti?) is coming soon so any comments on if this is a good buy?

That's a blower style card (and not even the half-decent Nvidia ones with vapour chambers), I would avoid it unless you don't care about noise. Or you have a really cramped case/insufficient case fans and need help exhausting hot air out the back.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

That's a blower style card (and not even the half-decent Nvidia ones with vapour chambers), I would avoid it unless you don't care about noise. Or you have a really cramped case/insufficient case fans and need help exhausting hot air out the back.

I was actually looking specifically for a blower style card because I have a mitx case (evga hadron) with a gtx970 founders edition (which has been running really well in this case). Sad to hear that the 3rd party blower style cards went as good as the founders edition

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda feel like upgrading from my 1070 to a reference 1080...wouldn't even need a new block...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ughhhh posted:

I was actually looking specifically for a blower style card because I have a mitx case (evga hadron) with a gtx970 founders edition (which has been running really well in this case). Sad to hear that the 3rd party blower style cards went as good as the founders edition

Honestly it's hard to say, those black box cards are mostly used by integrators/prebuilt machines or people who don't know the difference, and almost never get properly reviewed. Unless they're white and have Asus printed on top..

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

ughhhh posted:

I'm not familiar with the thermals of that case so it might be an exception, but I've yet to see any evidence that blowers work better than open air coolers in a single GPU system in modern times. The issue with blower coolers today is that they are guaranteed to throttle quite a bit and even at their best the noise they make under full load is significant. A solid open air cooler does have to work harder, but it doesnt approach throttling or maxing fan speed. There is probably testing out there to verify it for that case but its actually very hard to come by in general. Reviewers of cases tend to put blower cards into MITX cases right off the bat.

I have a RVZ02 which is much smaller than that case and it only increased my temperatures 5* and fan speed a bit depending on the card.

There is another caveat here where I can attest that particular cooler on that 1080 isn't the greatest, but it sure as hell will walk all over any blower version. I've had that exact card in the RVZ02 and I remember my fanspeed hit 60% max and it boosted itself to ~1950. Under ideal conditions not even the FE cooler could do that on an open air test bench for more than 15 minutes.

edit: I just looked at some pictures and that case is smaller than I thought and does it have the GPU literally facing the PSU? lol. Like I said, that case might be an exception, however I'd look into it if I were in the same boat

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 28, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Linus video on the Marseille voodoo cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjJzibFTaqA

TL;DR: WTF is this sorcery?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's me, i'm the computer guy who's amazed that it's possible to do anti-aliasing with a filter when sweetfx/reshade have been doing exactly that for years

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
But *in a cable*.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

B-Mac posted:

It could also be an issue with Windows. When I switched from a R9 280 to a 1070 I was having serious performance issues in some games and none of the fixes I tried worked, including trying DDU several times. I eventually gave up and reinstalled Win 10 and that solved the issue.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

repiv posted:

it's me, i'm the computer guy who's amazed that it's possible to do anti-aliasing with a filter when sweetfx/reshade have been doing exactly that for years

I'm the guy looking at the guy going im the guy at something who isnt amazed by the HDMI cable that does anti aliasing :colbert:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

Installs sweetfx on my sega saturn

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm not at all impressed that they could put antialiasing on a chip in a cable however I am a little impressed that no reviewer has been able to detect any added latency

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But *in a cable*.
The H in HDMI stands for Homunculus.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I dont know why I didnt mention this but I did ask that company when the PCP article was posted if they were going to do displayport and this was their response

quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Display Port has been on our list and frankly speaking, I personally consider it a more advanced protocol than HDMI. But currently we do not have an immediate plan to release it, at least not for next year. If we start working on it next year, we are looking at a release in 2019. This is mainly because we are still not a huge company so we have to concentrate our engineering resources. And currently the main protocol for home entertainment devices are still HDMI.

Thank you and please keep in touch. I hope to update you with news related to Display Port some later time.

Best regards,

Emily
Technical Support Staff

They might change their tune after all this attention though.

edit: I just realized she said keep in touch is this how girlfriend happen

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much difference are you really gonna see on one iteration of a particular card to another? Especially within the same manufacturer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

How much difference are you really gonna see on one iteration of a particular card to another? Especially within the same manufacturer?

I feel like I just posted this in a different thread, but basically there's no difference in binning anymore, especially NVidia, for instance all the EVGA reference/superclocked stuff gets the same max stable clocks in practice.

You're paying extra for lower noise at the end of the day and not really anything else.