Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Weasling Weasel posted:

There's a little bit more about it here, https://www.gamespot.com/articles/netflixs-the-witcher-exclusive-footage-revealed-at/1100-6468553/, talking about other clips that were shown during the comic-con, including Geralt monologuing to his horse.

I mean, I'm cynical enough not to trust it, but it at least looks better quality standard than say the World of Warcraft movie.

Needs to be the other way around, Roach monologuing to Geralt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
i just want them to copy the books scene for scene but damnit that never happens.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
looks great, better than i expected tbh. hyped but got serious witcher 1 ptsd with that kikimore in the swamp at the end.

seems like they are going through the first 2 saga books in the first season with bits of the short stories as maybe flashbacks or something with added yen backstory, should work very well if its a standard 13 episode netflix series, which usually drag on for too long. i was actually worried they would just stick the last wish and sword of destiny for season 1. also worried essi wont be in. :negative:

no zoltan in that trailer confirms nothing past times of contempt imo but it is the first trailer after all. also makes a lot of sense if season 2 is baptism to lady of the lake and then season 3 is game stuff maybe? dunno if they are touching them but i cant see cavill wanting to stick around for 8 seasons.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 20, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was that Myanna Buring playing Margarita? Neat that she's involved since she voiced Annarietta in Blood and Wine.

i knew i recognized that actress, turns out shes playing Tissaia de Vries. always thought she was older but i keep forgetting yen and geralt are like 80.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I'm super pumped about this show. And Henry Cavill is super pumped about being Geralt. Watching him talking about "the conjunction of spheres" in an interview segment was incredible.

holy poo poo, got a link?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IIRC they confirmed this first season is 8 episodes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
omg you guys, cavil is a meat mountain

i love it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

IIRC they confirmed this first season is 8 episodes.

uh cool. leaning more toward both short story books then like the rest of you.

the thanedd island shot confused me the most but it's probably backstory area for yen given the tissaia stuff, chain bit is strigga 100% the banquet bit is probably the whole duny thing rather than the thanedd island one, but yen is there now. i frame stepped the trailer and you can see duny in one bit, but no one is cast for duny on imdb but its 100% duny. guess they are trying to avoid a big spoiler maybe? the brokilon bit, some dont have ears like elves so i dunno, maybe its a mix? that ciri shot of her with the magic tree desert bit i bet is 100% some foreshadowing dream she has. geralt in the streets are the start of the trailer is probably blaviken.

there is one shot of vilgafortz in the shadows but has a sword? at least it looks like the vilgafortz actor but its took dark to tell.

i wonder if since ciri and cahir are in all the episodes, (holy poo poo twin peaks 3 richard horne is cahir :vince: ) then thats the framing device up to brokilon in sword of destiny and maybe ciri is hearing stories about geralt and yen or some poo poo and we see the real side of that or we're just switch back and forth between time periods.

either way, hyped.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The trailer continues the trend of everything about Witcher series looking like there is an equal chance it being either really great or a massive trainwreck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

omg you guys, cavil is a meat mountain

i love it

:popeye:

(i think his arm might be swollen in this shot)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the real question is where is my man Dandelion bumbling into some battlefield looking for fame

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the real question is where is my man Dandelion Jaskier bumbling into some battlefield looking for fame

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm still upset that they didn't get Eva Green for Yen but this new chick might be alright, need to see her actually act first.

Don't really care about Triss' casting cause I doubt she'll be in this much if it's mainly based on the books.

Ciri looks... almost perfect, she's so elf like I love it, obviously they can't cast an actual 10 year old girl with the poo poo that happens to her in the books.

And Henry Cavill looks insane, I never pictured him in a million years as Geralt and I'm still not 100% sold but he looks amazing in the role.

The rest of it looks a little too... European for my liking, was hoping that they'd lean harder into the Slavic architecture but whatever, not a deal breaker.

I'm down, it honestly looks far better than I was expecting and I was expecting a trash fire... I'll actually watch this.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think they actually used a Polish castle to film some stuff

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Judging by the cast, they burned all their money on Cavill. They couldn’t afford Eva Green who may finally be tired of playing magic ladies.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh man, so much better with the leleley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9pbe-1Kd0

Look Sir Droids posted:

Judging by the cast, they burned all their money on Cavill. They couldn’t afford Eva Green who may finally be tired of playing magic ladies.

To be blunt, they needed someone who'll still look young-ish by the time they film season 8-10 and Eva Green would be almost fifty by then.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megazver posted:

season 8-10

Lol. Netflix doesn't shell out for more than three seasons of anything unless it's an insane mega hit. Even their biggest show ever is ending at 7.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Steve2911 posted:

Lol. Netflix doesn't shell out for more than three seasons of anything unless it's an insane mega hit. Even their biggest show ever is ending at 7.

If this manages even three seasons I'll be amazed. I've been anticipating it to be this season and MAYBE one more if Netflix is low on projects to sink money into.

I suppose there's the chance it takes off due to people desperate for more Game of Thrones showing up for the similar aesthetic, but it seems unlikely.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo, got a link?

I think this is it. Interview with the cast and Cavill knows his poo poo as he’s a real fan of both the books and games.

https://youtu.be/C0QVlq8Sah4

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megazver posted:

To be blunt, they needed someone who'll still look young-ish by the time they film season 8-10 and Eva Green would be almost fifty by then.

That is definitely not the issue. Eva Green's 50 will look better than 99% of the world population's 30.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the girl they cast as Yen looks the part enough, though it’ll be in her interactions with Geralt and others where we’ll really see it. The look and voice of Yen in the game is almost exactly like how I picture her when I read the books and is the Yen to beat I think. I’d never heard of Eva Green until everyone started mentioning her for this role.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And Yennefer can look as old or young as she drat well pleases.

chaosapiant posted:

I’d never heard of Eva Green until everyone started mentioning her for this role.

How.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Megazver posted:

Oh man, so much better with the leleley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9pbe-1Kd0

stop it, i dont have time to replay witcher 3. :negative:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

chaosapiant posted:

I think the girl they cast as Yen looks the part enough, though it’ll be in her interactions with Geralt and others where we’ll really see it. The look and voice of Yen in the game is almost exactly like how I picture her when I read the books and is the Yen to beat I think. I’d never heard of Eva Green until everyone started mentioning her for this role.

Go watch Penny Dreadful, like... right this instant.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I think this is it. Interview with the cast and Cavill knows his poo poo as he’s a real fan of both the books and games.

https://youtu.be/C0QVlq8Sah4

goddamn, the boy has done his prep.

edit: THERES GONNA BE GWENT

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Steve2911 posted:

And Yennefer can look as old or young as she drat well pleases.

How.

I just googled her and pretty much everything she’s been in is either a series or movie I haven’t seen. I watch very little TV anymore aside from crime shows (GF likes crime shows) and very rarely watch movies because most movies look terrible to me. Haven’t even seen any Marvel or Star Wars films in the last 5-6 years.

The only things I watch these days are Game of Thrones (which I only got into because I was a fan of the books beforehand), Family Guy, and Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Excited for game of thrones with 1 big spider

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kinda bummed out that the first quest I do after not playing for a while is one that is bugged and unable to complete

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Well, I finished the Ciri main missions in Velen, got laid and wrapped up Keira Metz and killed a couple of monsters. Couple more sidequests (I think the last one with the Bloody Baron?) and some Gwent and on to Novigrad.

Total playtime at 23 hrs. Game is good, folks.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how they'll handle fight choreography in the series. In the books it's all about Geralt spinning and perfectly nicking an artery. A bit like samurai cinema, where there's one slice and then a shower of blood.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Well, I finished the Ciri main missions in Velen, got laid and wrapped up Keira Metz and killed a couple of monsters. Couple more sidequests (I think the last one with the Bloody Baron?) and some Gwent and on to Novigrad.

Total playtime at 23 hrs. Game is good, folks.

You've only got *checks notes* 100 hours of game left.

Game is definitely good.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Kinda bummed out that the first quest I do after not playing for a while is one that is bugged and unable to complete

Was it one of the werewolf ones?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’ll eat a spoiler since I’ll forget by the time I ever replay, but what happens if you don’t get Kiera to go to Kaer Morhen?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ll eat a spoiler since I’ll forget by the time I ever replay, but what happens if you don’t get Kiera to go to Kaer Morhen?

Burnt at the stake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cactus posted:

Was it one of the werewolf ones?

The one where you're looking for schematics for the ofieri guy to translate. You're supposed to find a letter in a bandit lair pointing you to the next step of the quest but the letter doesn't spawn in the loot chest

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Steve2911 posted:

Burnt at the stake.

Even worse impaled on a stake.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

goddamn, the boy has done his prep.

edit: THERES GONNA BE GWENT

How can there be Gwent if they are only using the books as reference?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

Steve2911 posted:

Burnt at the stake.

Well there's three options total, I forget the dialogue that leads to each but if you demand she give you the notes, she attacks you and you have to fight and kill her. It's a jarring surprise that doesn't entirely make sense but she really wants those notes.

If you let her keep the notes but she doesn't go to Kaer Morhen, she tries to sell them to I think Radovid, gets caught by the Witch Hunters and impaled/burned on a stake. You're treated to a gruesome image of that happening too.

Kaer Morhen is by far the "best" option for her.

Calaveron posted:

The one where you're looking for schematics for the ofieri guy to translate. You're supposed to find a letter in a bandit lair pointing you to the next step of the quest but the letter doesn't spawn in the loot chest
Huh I've done that quest at least twice and had no problems, is this a bug others have reported?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Well there's three options total, I forget the dialogue that leads to each but if you demand she give you the notes, she attacks you and you have to fight and kill her. It's a jarring surprise that doesn't entirely make sense but she really wants those notes.

If you let her keep the notes but she doesn't go to Kaer Morhen, she tries to sell them to I think Radovid, gets caught by the Witch Hunters and impaled/burned on a stake. You're treated to a gruesome image of that happening too.

Huh I've done that quest at least twice and had no problems, is this a bug others have reported?

Yeah, and unfixable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Whew, I almost asked for the notes but role played a bit and figured I should let her keep them so she has a fallback plan in case she gets caught.. Glad I handled it exactly how I did.

Soon I get to find out how cocked up the tree spirit quest with the Crones. I turned it in to a horse.