Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PriorMarcus posted:

No, but do you align all the Lego logos?

Aren’t those on the inside of the round tiles?

yes, I would still align them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hi! So, I didn't really know where the thread landed on creating a LEGO discord.

If there's NOT one, I went ahead and made one:

https://discord.gg/d6TVgca

If there is one, I can just delete this one, and could I get an invite?

pantX0r
Jan 7, 2004
hey, back again!

Brawnfire posted:

Hi! So, I didn't really know where the thread landed on creating a LEGO discord.

Thanks! I don't know if there is one, and I've still got a bet going on the forums burning down this month.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brawnfire posted:

Joined up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ixnay posted:

There’s a new line just announced, “LEGO Art”:

https://brickset.com/article/52230/introducing-lego-art

$120 sets that make 48x48 pictures and include frame parts and wall hanging. Each set has multiple designs (so you can buy them 3 or 4 times to make the full set)

Iron man, Star Wars, the Beatles, and Warhol

The Warhol Marilyn looks nice, the Beatles look boring, and the Iron Man looks okay by itself but the combined set looks much better. The Sith one I’m ambivalent about, but I do like the Vader art because it looks like a still from Dark Forces or TIE Fighter or some other early-90s Lucasarts game.

I don’t think I’d ever buy those sets because of the price and size but I’m curious to see what comes next if they sell decently.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I look forward to seeing those carefully placed in the background of every single reddit “battle station” post.

They should make ones of NES cover art. That would be some easy money.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I made a micro scale shipping container as part of a thing I was doing. I am really happy with how it turned out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Now make some tiny Somali pirate craft. :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

I made a micro scale shipping container as part of a thing I was doing. I am really happy with how it turned out.

son of a bitch that's adorable

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ixnay posted:

There’s a new line just announced, “LEGO Art”:

https://brickset.com/article/52230/introducing-lego-art

$120 sets that make 48x48 pictures and include frame parts and wall hanging. Each set has multiple designs (so you can buy them 3 or 4 times to make the full set)

Iron man, Star Wars, the Beatles, and Warhol

At this point just buy some Hama beads or 6ct Aida and embroidery thread. Same visual impact for a fraction of the price

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

At this point just buy some Hama beads or 6ct Aida and embroidery thread. Same visual impact for a fraction of the price

These do have the benefit of being able to take them apart and make them into new pictures. They're all 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1) designs.

I wonder what the instructions look like? Will they be step-by-step or more like a paint-by-numbers thing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like the bit where the boat glances the camera at the end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fatkraken posted:

Or just buy prints of the originals. Maybe pay a bit more to have them nicely framed and have something that doesn't look like it belongs in an 8 year olds bedroom.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What an AFOL thing to say!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Is there a separate Mega Construx (formerly Mega Bloks) thread? or would their stuff fall under the jurisdiction of this thread? There's a new wave of Halo sets coming and there's some really neat stuff but I don't know if I should post about it here. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zefiel posted:

Is there a separate Mega Construx (formerly Mega Bloks) thread? or would their stuff fall under the jurisdiction of this thread? There's a new wave of Halo sets coming and there's some really neat stuff but I don't know if I should post about it here. Thanks!

:justpost:

It’s all fine here.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zefiel posted:

Just tag that sick filth with :nms: and spoilers.

Just kidding. Mostly. ;)

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Okay then! thanks!

it's a relief to me that the Mega line isn't going down after being acquired by Mattel, it was touchy for a little while but thankfully here comes Halo infinite to the rescue. there's a bunch of interesting new stuff but what I thought was particularly brilliant was this chunk of the Halo ring from the games

They would've been so amiss if they didn't make it so you couldn't buy a bunch, and seems you can get enough to make a whole dang ring if you're so inclined:

Personally I think they're going to be great to display the other tiny-scale models they've been adding to the blind bag series lately, like these three: (sorry about the dust I had cleaned before taking the photo I swear)

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That ring's actually pretty cool, and most of those parts have Lego equivalents (or pretty close to them) so you could definitely make that out of Lego if you wanted.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
drat, those mini scale ships are awesome. I’m a sucker for large capital space ships, I might have to look into those and sully these pure LEGO hands.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Those do pass the Swoosh Test and the Pew-Pew Appraisal

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

drat, those mini scale ships are awesome. I’m a sucker for large capital space ships, I might have to look into those and sully these pure LEGO hands.

Remake them like a boss and do them with pure lego!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Mega Bloks have some interesting pieces that Lego perhaps should as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It drives me nuts that lego doesn't have any flat parts with studs on both sides. I have a few mega blocks ones I found when sorting out lots (just donated the rest) that I keep around to potentially cheat with when making MOCS

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I absolutely love the marbled pieces they’ve got going on there.

Also, that mini Halo ring is dope, there’s a nonzero chance I pick up the whole thing and those mini ships. Pew pew all the space lasers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

I absolutely love the marbled pieces they’ve got going on there.

Yeah ,that gives a really nice organic effect to earth and water elements, it seems

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah ,that gives a really nice organic effect to earth and water elements, it seems

They made a Guardian of Forever Star Trek set with marbled “rock” pieces and cloudy blue bits and I still have it displayed because it looks so great.

I even expanded the base with real LEGO :sickos:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

<purist shrieking>

UNCLEAN

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I seem to be in the minority but I hate marbled bricks.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They made a Guardian of Forever Star Trek set with marbled “rock” pieces and cloudy blue bits and I still have it displayed because it looks so great.

Does Harlan Ellison know? It’s about the money!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

Does Harlan Ellison know? It’s about the money!

Harlan’s dead so there probably won’t be a lawsuit.

Also here’s the instructions for that Halo ring https://s4.megabrandsmedia.com/2020/05/12/15/47/46/h8ClphdjHK1589312866.pdf

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Walmart's got a pretty good sale on Hidden Side sets. Crosspost from Coupons:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat...Slw80&sharedid=

My sons bday is next week so I'm likely getting the larger sets.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MarxCarl posted:

Also here’s the instructions for that Halo ring https://s4.megabrandsmedia.com/2020/05/12/15/47/46/h8ClphdjHK1589312866.pdf

Dang, lego really needs those 1x1 grill tiles, and those 1x2 wedges with the studs on the slope are cool too.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
There are some pretty interesting parts in that. At the end there's an ad for what looks like a life-size (or at least UCS kind of scale) plasma sword that looks like it's got a ton of cool transparent parts. I wish Lego would do a bit more transparent stuff, especially big slopes. I've seen knockoff Lego that's just regular parts but all transparent and they would be really useful for all sorts of things.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MarxCarl posted:

I don’t think being dead would quell Harlan Ellison’s rage over Star Trek.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The Blacktron III Nightbird racer, with towing/pit trailer and hauling tug. This wasn't built specifically with Blacktron I in mind, I just really like the navy blue/yellow/black/trans red color scheme and then realized it was basically Blacktron with an extra color.

The racer: Spacey Nix. Former test pilot, andrenaline junkie and wildly successful singer.
The tug-boat pilot: Max Fleetwood. Organized the pit crew, plays the drums.
The pit crew: J'onn McVi on bass and Lightspeed B-ham on lead guitar. Spend a lot of time doing crosswords in the trailer between races.

first draft
Each vessel went through several versions as I made changes, thought of improvements and went back and tried new ideas. The tug and trailer were both rebuilt from the ground up a couple of times, and even the Nightbird was initially a much weirder build with a flipped cockpit before I decided using the two transparent red cockpit pieces on top was dumb if nobody could fit in the back.

This build was a ton of fun! Thanks to Brawnfire and Feenix for making up the space race. It's been forever since I built anything and this helped motivate me to rearrange the garage and the craft room so I could actually reach my LEGO collection.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zonko_T.M. posted:

The Blacktron III Nightbird racer, with towing/pit trailer and hauling tug. This wasn't built specifically with Blacktron I in mind, I just really like the navy blue/yellow/black/trans red color scheme and then realized it was basically Blacktron with an extra color.

The racer: Spacey Nix. Former test pilot, andrenaline junkie and wildly successful singer.
The tug-boat pilot: Max Fleetwood. Organized the pit crew, plays the drums.
The pit crew: J'onn McVi on bass and Lightspeed B-ham on lead guitar. Spend a lot of time doing crosswords in the trailer between races.

first draft
Each vessel went through several versions as I made changes, thought of improvements and went back and tried new ideas. The tug and trailer were both rebuilt from the ground up a couple of times, and even the Nightbird was initially a much weirder build with a flipped cockpit before I decided using the two transparent red cockpit pieces on top was dumb if nobody could fit in the back.

This build was a ton of fun! Thanks to Brawnfire and Feenix for making up the space race. It's been forever since I built anything and this helped motivate me to rearrange the garage and the craft room so I could actually reach my LEGO collection.

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!

Okay, I guess I'll have to finally take photos of my space base. I built it and then the forums looked like they were about to shatter, but nothing's happening now and if people are coming out of the gate with awesome stuff like this... I gotta throw down

Those photoshops made me feel like I was reading LEGO magazine as a kid again, Zonko, awesome stuff

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I seem to be in the minority but I hate marbled bricks.

Yeah, I sorta see what people are saying - it doesn't look half bad in the pictures, but there's something inside of me that's just screaming that there's something tacky and low quality feeling about them.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Those do pass the Swoosh Test and the Pew-Pew Appraisal

Is the Typewriter Swooshable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I sorta see what people are saying - it doesn't look half bad in the pictures, but there's something inside of me that's just screaming that there's something tacky and low quality feeling about them.

There’s definitely a different feel to them. They are different plastic than LEGO, I think Mega is styrene or close as plastic model cement will melt it. The moldings on the finished pieces aren’t as nice, there are a lot of grip problems, solid colors aren’t consistent between pieces,and that marbling is annoying to me. They don’t use stickers any more, or don’t have you apply them, and most everything is printed. They make/use a lot of specialized parts, have multiple types of the same part, ex. there are 2 types of cheese wedges low and high, and they like odd sized widths1x3 and 1x5. Oh and the set bags aren’t numbered, though that is due to LEGO copyrighting that. Lots of sets are hard to find and I find it hard to spend more than $20 US on them, well that or any clone/competitor brand.

Their instructions are available on their website https://www.megaconstrux.com and they have some really interesting building techniques.
Jumbo Pikachu is a interesting one to look at as it uses a lot of their building techniques and specialized parts https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/pokemon/sets/jumbo-pikachu

Blue Moonlight posted:

I don’t think being dead would quell Harlan Ellison’s rage over Star Trek.

I like to think Ellison is somewhere bugging the poo poo out of Roddenberry

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 3, 2020