Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

He was not asked about the TOS, he was asked about banning a specific concept. Any example found of this concept on the site is proof it is not banned.
TIL that murder is legal. It must be, since if it were banned then it would never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

TIL that murder is legal. It must be, since if it were banned then it would never happen.

I have heard of no murders personally. Are murders banned y/n?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Make crime illegal, problem solved.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pachylad posted:

Why can't he just say "gently caress no, we don't condone racism" like how is this so hard. He didn't give a half-hearted mealy-mouthed answer about 'we'll do better' that is the expected tech-bro platitude at this point, he just gave a more half-hearted mealy-mouthed psuedo-philosophical 'enlightened centrist' take that thinks that doing action on racist statements is bad??

He tried repeatedly to say that the TOS does not condone hate speech but the interviewer was having none of that and kept going back to asking about whether substack censored a specific concept. That is my entire point. The interview was purely about avoiding the "gently caress no, we don't condone racism" answer and setting up the guy for a lay down misère "ahh but here is an example where your site DIDN'T censor this concept!".

The reality is that substack likely just want to rely upon the TOS and reports and not commit to actively moderating the stuff on their site to a measurable standard. Active moderation comes with its own heeby jeebies (you should also prevent your volunteers/employees from being exposed to anything you don't condone), costs and like with Facebook, opens you up for being in situations you just don't want to buy into (Palestine should be censored anyone?). He likely would rather that the hate speech would just gently caress off as most of us do but it's a big statement to say "yep, we are totally up to saying yes to completely censor a concept on our site each time an interviewer with an angle formulates one." Remember, TOS ruling out hate speech was not good enough for the interviewer, the interviewer was specifically challenging whether a specific concept was censored (ie totally removed).

pumpinglemma posted:

Sorry, my bad. Not banned, I meant censored, the TOS bans hate speech, the site apparently doesn't effectively censor people that promote keeping brown people out of the US.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 15, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Of course, he would be cut off at that point and then there is a Tik Tok of Jeff saying SA does not ban support of child murder. Well done.

Lmao if you think a goon is going to let some dumbass interrupt him before he's finished. JeffK is leet

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

He tried repeatedly to say that the TOS does not condone hate speech but the interviewer was having none of that and kept going back to asking about whether substack censored a specific concept.

At which part of the interview does the CEO talk about Substack's ToS not condoning hate speech? Is it part of the interviewer's notes where he admits this:

quote:

I want to call out that I got something wrrong here — I came up with what I thought was an easy hypothetical, about whether posts calling to kick brown people out of the country would be moderated on Substack Notes. I thought it was a gimme because, well, obviously, but also because I read Substack’s content guidelines a little too loosely. Here’s the relevant section, under the topic of “Hate”:

“Substack cannot be used to publish content or fund initiatives that incite violence based on protected classes. Offending behavior includes credible threats of physical harm to people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or medical condition.”

Now, I think it’s debatable whether calling to kick brown people out of the country incites violence — I think it does, but I can see the argument that, in my example, it literally does not. I wish I had used a clearer example. That’s on me. But I think it’s more notable that Chris didn’t correct me either way and actually didn’t engage the question at all, which… well, you’ll see how that went. Alright. Back to the interview. 

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The correct answer to “does your website allow brown-people-are-animals type of racism” is “we wouldn’t.” If the journalist later points out that this racism does exist, the correct response is then “our moderation isn’t perfect and we’ll look into it.”

The wrong answer is “we don’t condone racism but I can’t tell you now if brown people being animals is racism. We think freedom of speech is really important.”

There’s no loving gotcha here. By the journalist’s own account it’s a softball question. The guy just wasn’t prepped to answer a standard policy question that CEOs of YouTube, Facebook and whatever have rehearsed a thousand times.

edit: as pointed out above he didn’t even say Substack’s ToS bans racism. So it’s just literally the worst possible answer to an easy question.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Can we check that we are all on the same interview here, cos the interview that Electric Wrigglies is describing is nothing like the one I listened to.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Substacks TOS say:

quote:

Substack cannot be used to publish content or fund initiatives that incite violence based on protected classes. Offending behavior includes credible threats of physical harm to people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or medical condition.

So the reason the CEO wouldn't commit to moderating content that says "all brown people are animals and they shouldn’t be allowed in America" is because it isn't against their TOS to say that since their is no explicit threat of violence, but he wanted to weasel around saying it.

He almost comes out and says it here, but wrapped in "free speech" nonsense:

quote:

The way that we think about this is, yes, there is going to be a terms of service. We have content policies that are deliberately tuned to allow lots of things that we disagree with, that we strongly disagree with. We think we have a strong commitment to freedom of speech, freedom of the press. We think these are essential ingredients in a free society. We think that it would be a failure for us to build a new kind of network that can’t support those ideals. And we want to design the network in a way where people are in control of their experience, where they’re able to do that stuff. We’re at the very early innings of that. We don’t have all the answers for how those things will work. We are making a new thing. And literally, we launched this thing one day ago. We’re going to have to figure a lot of this stuff out. I don’t think…

This isn't terribly surprising since a Substack employee posted that anyone leaving Twitter because of Musk's content philosophy wasn't welcome at Substack either.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

So if Substack Notes becomes overrun by racism and transphobia, that’s fine with you?

We’re going to have to work very hard to make Substack Notes be a great place to have the readers and the writers be in charge, where you can have the kinds of conversations that you find valuable. That’s the exciting challenge that we have ahead of us.

I'm not sure how much more he can say other than an explicit "yes". As long as readers and writers who subscribe to a specific substack are cool with it they don't give a poo poo about racism and transphobia. They are explicitly building a platform for those people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It doesn't matter what the TOS is or what the question was, he fumbled it and looked like an idiot in a way that's stereotypical to many who roll their eyes at tech CEOs.

He didn't just randomly end up in that interview. The question was entirely predictable. He's in the most powerful position at his company if he can't be prepared for that moment I would have a hard time believing in him if I worked for him and I would feel increasingly uncomfortable if I was a person of color.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The question was not "do you condone hate speech on your website", it was "do you censor hate speech on your website?", which is to say that any single example of implied hate speech found is proof that hate speech is indeed not censored. That is why the question was asked that way.
I'm not sure why you're using quotes to denote what you wish the interviewer had asked, but it's deeply misleading in service of the mewling coward trying to have it both ways.

That is why the question was asked in absolute terms of whether it exists (ie, do they censor/remove all examples of), not whether they have a policy on it.
No, it wasn't. Because people shouldn't be stuck with your :airquote:quotes:airquote: and because some of Nilay's questions are actually interesting philosophical frames on moderation and technology, let's see the transcript.

We start with Nilay's intro where he sets the table. It's an irritatingly podcast bro way to describe the premise that the closer you are to internet infrastructure, the thornier it is to say 'you don't have to go home but you can't Klan here'-that the consequences of being perma'd by Something Awful and by Cloudfare are drastically different.

quote:

Nilay: Notes is the most consumer-y feature. You’re saying it’s inheriting a bunch of expectations from the consumer social platforms, whether or not you really want it to, right? It’s inheriting the expectations of Twitter, even from Twitter itself. It’s inheriting the expectations that you should be able to flirt with people and not have to subscribe to their email lists.

In that spectrum of content moderation, it’s the tip of the spear. The expectations are that you will moderate that thing just like any big social platform will moderate. Up until now, you’ve had the out of being able to say, “Look, we are an enterprise software provider. If people don’t want to pay for this newsletter that’s full of anti-vax information, fine. If people don’t want to pay or subscribe to this newsletter where somebody has harsh views on trans people, fine.” That’s the choice. The market will do it. And because you’re the enterprise software provider, you’ve had some cover. When you run a social network that inherits all the expectations of a social network and people start posting that stuff and the feed is algorithmic and that’s what gets engagement, that’s a real problem for you. Have you thought about how you’re going to moderate Notes?

Chris: We think about this stuff a lot, you might be surprised to learn.

Nilay: I know you do, but this is a very different product.

Chris: Here’s how I think about this: Substack is neither an enterprise software provider nor a social network in the mold that we’re used to experiencing them. Our self-conception, the thing that we are attempting to build, and I think if you look at the constituent pieces, in fact, the emerging reality is that we are a new thing called the subscription network, where people are subscribing directly to others, where the order in the system is sort of emergent from the empowered — not just the readers but also the writers: the people who are able to set the rules for their communities, for their piece of Substack. And we believe that we can make something different and better than what came before with social networking.

The way that I think about this is, if we draw a distinction between moderation and censorship, where moderation is, “Hey, I want to be a part of a community, of a place where there’s a vibe or there’s a set of rules or there’s a set of norms or there’s an expectation of what I’m going to see or not see that is good for me, and the thing that I’m coming to is going to try to enforce that set of rules,” versus censorship, where you come and say, “Although you may want to be a part of this thing and this other person may want to be a part of it, too, and you may want to talk to each other and send emails, a third party’s going to step in and say, ‘You shall not do that. We shall prevent that.’”

And I think, with the legacy social networks, the business model has pulled those feeds ever closer. There hasn’t been a great idea for how we do moderation without censorship, and I think, in a subscription network, that becomes possible.

We'll ignore, for the moment, that the "emergent reality" of Chris' new thing is Reddit with a monthly charge. Chris lays out his opinion: That moderation is a content policy established and enforced by members of a community while censorship is a content policy established and enforced by those outside the community... and that his aim is the former without the latter.

quote:

Nilay: Wow. I mean, I just want to be clear, if somebody shows up on Substack and says “all brown people are animals and they shouldn’t be allowed in America,” you’re going to censor that. That’s just flatly against your terms of service.

Chris: So, we do have a terms of service that have narrowly prescribed things that are not allowed.

Nilay:That one I’m pretty sure is just flatly against your terms of service. You would not allow that one. That’s why I picked it.

Chris: So there are extreme cases, and I’m not going to get into the–
Here, Nilay uses censorship for the first time and it's after Chris has defined it as content policy outside of :rolleyes:the order emergent from the empowered:rolleyes:. In the bold, we see Chris' first attempt to have it both way: Each community gets to establish its rules, unless it's bad. We also see Chris' first refusal to provide any insight into what is bad.

quote:

Nilay: Wait. Hold on. In America in 2023, that is not so extreme, right? “We should not allow as many brown people in the country.” Not so extreme. Do you allow that on Substack? Would you allow that on Substack Notes?

Chris: I think the way that we think about this is we want to put the writers and the readers in charge–
I want to be clear: This is a yes. When asked if his social media platform is okay with calls to turn America into a white ethnostate and kick out the subhuman browns, Chris answers "we want to put the writers and the readers in charge". I personally wouldn't make my elevator pitch 'what if Reddit but more fashy?' but I'm not a techbro steering the new emergent reality

Here, Nilay does what any softball trade journo does when his guest ignores the lob down the middle because he's too busy sticking forks in electrical outlets and Chris just rams that sucker in there deeper:

quote:

Nilay: No, I really want you to answer that question. Is that allowed on Substack Notes? “We should not allow brown people in the country.”

Chris: I’m not going to get into gotcha content moderation.

Nilay: This is not a gotcha… I’m a brown person. Do you think people on Substack should say I should get kicked out of the country?

Chris:I’m not going to engage in content moderation, “Would you or won’t you this or that?”

Nilay: That one is black and white, and I just want to be clear: I’ve talked to a lot of social network CEOs, and they would have no hesitation telling me that that was against their moderation rules.

Chris: Yeah. We’re not going to get into specific “would you or won’t you” content moderation questions.

Nilay: Why?

Chris: I don’t think it’s a useful way to talk about this stuff.
There's exactly one scenario where Nilay's line of questioning is a gotcha: It's where your answer is "If our writers and readers want to discuss how to rid the subhuman minorities from their utopian white paradise, that is their decision and we approve of our social subscription network being used this way" but you recognize that it's a bad look to say out loud.

quote:

Nilay: But it’s the thing that you have to do. I mean, you have to make these decisions, don’t you?

Chris: The way that we think about this is, yes, there is going to be a terms of service. We have content policies that are deliberately tuned to allow lots of things that we disagree with, that we strongly disagree with. We think we have a strong commitment to freedom of speech, freedom of the press. We think these are essential ingredients in a free society. We think that it would be a failure for us to build a new kind of network that can’t support those ideals. And we want to design the network in a way where people are in control of their experience, where they’re able to do that stuff. We’re at the very early innings of that. We don’t have all the answers for how those things will work. We are making a new thing. And literally, we launched this thing one day ago. We’re going to have to figure a lot of this stuff out. I don’t think…
Again, his new thing is Reddit. Here, we continue to have it both ways - "The way that we think about this is, yes, there is going to be a terms of service." Asking about the terms of service? That's a gotcha!

Nilay, committed to allowing Chris to make contact, gently sets the ball on a tee. Luckily, "I don't want to admit I approve of white supremacists using my platform to find community and further my goals" comes up so frequently that Chris just has developed a blanket policy to avoid the topic entirely:

quote:

Nilay: You have to figure out, “Should we allow overt racism on Substack Notes?” You have to figure that out.

Chris: No, I’m not going to engage in speculation or specific “would you allow this or that” content.

Nilay: You know this is a very bad response to this question, right? You’re aware that you’ve blundered into this. You should just say no. And I’m wondering what’s keeping you from just saying no.

Chris: I have a blanket [policy that] I don’t think it’s useful to get into “would you allow this or that thing on Substack.”
Here, Nilay drops all pretense and tries to forcefeed Chris the answer to appease his investors (and allow Nilay to continue his access journalism):

quote:

Nilay: If I read you your own terms of service, will you agree that this prohibition is in that terms of service?

Chris: I don’t think that’s a useful exercise.
And there it is... the questions can be dodged by referencing the terms of service but he must never be asked about them. Below, Nilay returns to the idea that the standards are different when you make the thing people use to make their product to connect with consumers to give Chris cover.

Still here we cannot call white nationalism bad. We can simply grant that for the sake of argument:

quote:

Nilay: Okay. I’m granting you the out that when you’re the email service provider, you should have a looser moderation rule. There are a lot of my listeners and a lot of people out there who do not agree with me on that. I’ll give you the out that, as the email service provider, you can have looser moderation rules because that is sort of a market-driven thing, but when you make the consumer product, my belief is that you should have higher moderation rules. And so, I’m just wondering, applying the blanket, I understand why that was your answer in the past. It’s just there’s a piece here that I’m missing. Now that it’s the consumer product, do you not think that it should have a different set of moderation standards?

Chris:You are free to have that belief. And I do think it’s possible that there will be different moderation standards. I do think it’s an interesting thing. I think the place that we maybe differ is you’re coming at this from a point where you think that because something is bad… let’s grant that this thing is a terrible, bad thing…

Nilay: Yeah, I think you should grant that this idea is bad.

Chris: That therefore censorship of it is the most effective tool to prevent that. And I think we’ve run, in my estimation over the past five years, however long it’s been, a grand experiment in the idea that pervasive censorship successfully combats ideas that the owners of the platforms don’t like. And my read is that that hasn’t actually worked. That hasn’t been a success. It hasn’t caused those ideas not to exist. It hasn’t built trust. It hasn’t ended polarization. It hasn’t done any of those things. And I don’t think that taking the approach that the legacy platforms have taken and expecting it to have different outcomes is obviously the right answer the way that you seem to be presenting it to be. I don’t think that that’s a question of whether some particular objection or belief is right or wrong.
This is truly wild. Chris lays out his ethos to substack's content policy: If it's going to be said by someone somewhere, why not here?

And for that, I have to give the man credit. I never would have thought of using venture capital to try and resurrect 8chan and drag it to the mainstream. He's a visionary!

quote:

Nilay: I understand the philosophical argument. I want to be clear. I think government speech regulations are horrible, right? I think that’s bad. I don’t think there should be government censorship in this country, but I think companies should state their values and go out into the marketplace and live up to their values. I think the platform companies, for better or worse, have missed it on their values a lot for a variety of reasons. When I ask you this question, [I’m asking], “Do you make software to spread abhorrent views, that allows abhorrent views to spread?” That’s just a statement of values. That’s why you have terms of service. I know that there’s stuff that you won’t allow Substack to be used for because I can read it in your terms of service. Here, I’m asking you something that I know is against your terms of service, and your position is that you refuse to say it’s against your terms of service. That feels like not a big philosophical conversation about freedom of speech, which I will have at the drop of a hat, as listeners to this showknow. Actually, you’re saying, “You know what? I don’t want to state my values.” And I’m just wondering why that is.

Chris: I think the conversation about freedom of speech is the essential conversation to have. I don’t think this “let me play a gotcha and ask this or that”–

Nilay: Substack is not the government. Substack is a company that competes in the marketplace.

Chris: Substack is not the government, but we still believe that it’s essential to promote freedom of the press and freedom of speech. We don’t think that that is a thing that’s limited to…

Nilay: So if Substack Notes becomes overrun by racism and transphobia, that’s fine with you?

Chris: We’re going to have to work very hard to make Substack Notes be a great place to have the readers and the writers be in charge, where you can have the kinds of conversations that you find valuable. That’s the exciting challenge that we have ahead of us.

So, after all that, Wrigglies: Can you point me to where Nilay asks this in absolute terms? Because it, alongside your fabricated quotes, is the foundation for your premise that this is somehow a gotcha.

That is why the question was asked in absolute terms of whether it exists (ie, do they censor/remove all examples of), not whether they have a policy on it.

At least, to the extent that "white nationalists shouldn't use our network to recruit and organize" can even be a gotcha.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People are so used to journalists being stenographers for corporate sociopaths, police, and the US State Department, that any actual journalism becomes "gotcha journalism." Actual gotcha journalism is fishing for negative soundbytes, this guy was bending over backwards to let this abject moron cover his rear end.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

People are so used to journalists being stenographers for corporate sociopaths, police, and the US State Department, that any actual journalism becomes "gotcha journalism." Actual gotcha journalism is fishing for negative soundbytes, this guy was bending over backwards to let this abject moron cover his rear end.

I think it was a mix of surprise and shock that basically another Andreesen Horowitz product is prepared to embrace fascism/White nationalism/nazi/kkk/propaganda mindset all over again and say "it's up to the readers and writers". It's the "do you really want to say the quiet part out loud?"

But here we are.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think it was a mix of surprise and shock that basically another Andreesen Horowitz product is prepared to embrace fascism/White nationalism/nazi/kkk/propaganda mindset all over again and say "it's up to the readers and writers". It's the "do you really want to say the quiet part out loud?"

But here we are.

Oh sure, I think that's a valid interpretation. It's just not "gotcha journalism." It's journalism.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh sure, I think that's a valid interpretation. It's just not "gotcha journalism." It's journalism.

Oh! I may have not said this but: I agree fully, this wasn't some gotcha soundbyte scenario at all.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Vegetable posted:

lol at them creating a twitter clone and deciding they’ll adopt the Elon Musk brand of content moderation

Substack was always like this. The main reason it wasn't a right-wing hellhole already was because they bribed a bunch of prominent writers all over the ideological spectrum to come write for them, which made it less obvious that the site was a favorite of transphobes and COVID-deniers who'd gotten banned from almost every other platform.

Boris Galerkin posted:

what the gently caress is a substack

e: I'm pretty online and I have no idea what the gently caress a Substack is. Unless it's some kind of new Zoomer social network that I'm too old to know about I'm pretty sure this means whatever Substack is or isn't doing is a non-issue because nobody has ever even heard of it.

It's a Patreon-style platform for newsletters and longform articles, a blog site where the writer can put articles behind a paywall and you have to pay a monthly fee to them to see it. It's been popular among hacks who either couldn't convince a major outlet to carry their articles or couldn't bear dealing with editors anymore. That's where Bari Weiss went when she ragequit from the NYT, where Glenn Greenwald went when he ragequit from The Intercept, and where Matt Taibbi went when he quit Rolling Stone. Its minimalist moderation policy has also made it the platform of choice for notorious transphobes like Jesse Singal and Graham Linehan, as well as various COVID deniers and anti-vaxxers.

They're reportedly losing money like crazy because they bribed a bunch of non-right-wing writers to come write for their site and they're not bringing in enough money yet to cover those costs. Investors are starting to get doubtful of throwing more money at them, so they're launching a Twitter competitor in an attempt to get the investors excited again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Substack was always like this. The main reason it wasn't a right-wing hellhole already was because they bribed a bunch of prominent writers all over the ideological spectrum to come write for them, which made it less obvious that the site was a favorite of transphobes and COVID-deniers who'd gotten banned from almost every other platform.

Also because it's not (was not?) a social network there is a lot less automated recommendation of people with vile views to stumble on compared to something like Twitter or Facebook (or I guess YouTube though I don't see that myself based on what I use it for).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It sounds like you guys are describing Medium lol.

I refuse to read anything posted to Medium nowadays because of a combination of how annoying the website itself is and because it has like the worse articles. It’s like people who write articles on LinkedIn but decided to put it behind a paywall because they’re deluded and think people actually want to read their poo poo.

Is(/was?) Substack better than Medium?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 16, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Medium is literally just a blog site that looks all professional because it's not quite as slathered with ads.

Also reminded of that one guy in auspol who keeps posting that 30k word and counting probably ramble on overanalysing right-wing propaganda in the most pointless ways.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Medium is monthly pay-for-site and substack is optional pay-per-writer, price determined by writer (free is fine). Like Patreon exclusively for writing. I’ve been told its pretty well done as a platform. But as a the interview covers, there’s no discovery, so twitter serves that purpose.

If Elon had a quarter of a brain he’d buy substack at a huge discount or rip it off, not have a fit that they’re trying to fix their own problems. Given his drive to monetize the site I’d bet that’s underway anyway as a shittier version of OF/ Patreon.

Given substack’s median user they should have merged with Truth Social.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Musk seems to have the weird idea that everyone should stay on Twitter forever and that any off-site link is terrible, instead of Twitter being the glue that holds the internet together.

I mean, obviously he wants eyes seeing ads, but he doesn't seem to understand that the more isolated it becomes, the less relevant it is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Clarste posted:

I mean, obviously he wants eyes seeing ads

Turning off the api that allows people to create content (like tsunami warnings) that people will go to twitter to look at alongside ads suggests he doesn't want that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Clarste posted:

Musk seems to have the weird idea that everyone should stay on Twitter forever and that any off-site link is terrible, instead of Twitter being the glue that holds the internet together.

I mean, obviously he wants eyes seeing ads, but he doesn't seem to understand that the more isolated it becomes, the less relevant it is.

He wants to own Western WeChat, without understanding any of the reasons why WeChat is what it is.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sinky posted:

Turning off the api that allows people to create content (like tsunami warnings) that people will go to twitter to look at alongside ads suggests he doesn't want that.

thats only if he understood the product and the implications of his choices

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The only thing he wants eyes seeing is his posts.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remulak posted:

If Elon had a quarter of a brain he’d buy substack at a huge discount or rip it off

He's working on the rip it off part in the most backwards way possible.

https://twitter.com/TwitterWrite/status/1646674962055565319

@TwitterWrite posted:

We’re making improvements to the writing and reading experience on Twitter! Starting today, Twitter now supports Tweets up to 10,000 characters in length, with bold and italic text formatting.

Sign up for Twitter Blue to access these new features, and apply to enable Subscriptions on your account to earn income directly on Twitter. Tap on “Monetization” in settings to apply today.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Old Twitter was the one opportunity to force people to learn how to be succinct. Rip

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

Old Twitter was the one opportunity to force people to learn how to be succinct. Rip

A lot of people simply learned how to break up their verbal diarrhea into smaller squirts. And then even their longform looks like that.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Is the payout on monetization monthly?

It’s going be a lot of D-tier twitter dipshits crying after getting like $0.13 checks

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Monetization based on ad impressions, lol.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Thats probably the one positive change Elon has actually made to Twitter. The 20 tweet long threads were terrible to read, it was like going back in time to SMS texting in 2003 with the stupid character limit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Nah tweet treads are unironically good and great. Much better and easier to read than a wall of text.

For example

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1646780441175654400?s=20

E: looks like the embed cuts it off so here’s what it would look like on an iPhone:

Yeah I’d rather read 20 tweets of 1-2 sentences than a wall of text.

E2: I’m not trying to promote that jerkbag but it’s the first super long tweet I can think of cause I remember seeing it recently and wondering what the hell happened to the character limit.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 16, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean if my phone physical grew to the size of the tweet that might be uncomfortable but if I’m interested in the content the scroll doesn’t matter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

He doesn't want eyes seeing ads, he wants to directly monetize all that stuff instead. Instead of paying Substack to subscribe to someone's articles, he wants people to pay Twitter to subscribe to people's Twitter articles. You say "glue that holds the internet together", and he hears "there's a lot of money going to people who aren't me".

He sees the value people are getting from Twitter one way or another and is convinced he'll be able to get paid back for that value, either through directly charging people or by being an intermediary and taking a cut of everything.

Except he doesn't understand the ecosystem at all, so he's doing poo poo like moving bots behind a ridiculously expensive paywall because he doesn't understand that there's a ton of funny or informative bots that don't really make any money.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nah tweet treads are unironically good and great. Much better and easier to read than a wall of text.

For example

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1646780441175654400?s=20

E: looks like the embed cuts it off so here’s what it would look like on an iPhone:

Yeah I’d rather read 20 tweets of 1-2 sentences than a wall of text.

E2: I’m not trying to promote that jerkbag but it’s the first super long tweet I can think of cause I remember seeing it recently and wondering what the hell happened to the character limit.

Mein Gott... :eyepop:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
tl;dr Die Bart, Die

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If you actually think tweet threads are good you've been on Twitter too long, and Elon is doing you a favor

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
They're not great but they're better than that wall of text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
No, encouraging folks to be concise is a good habit, especially for all the non-thread stuff that made twitter good once.
Many tweet threads should just go off and be their own article or whatever, unless they're composed of things can can more or less stand on their own or deserve their own replies.