Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pretty good lineup! Unban Black Vise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
10 more upgrades to add to my cube to-do list...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gotta admit, Ornithopter was not a card I expected to have a Masterpiece

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well, I want like two of those anyway. And that's just because they haven't made those 2 Swords into judge promos. These are much less cool than the first group.

The rest of these I just want to keep the original art for my cube. The new art is pretty meh. Maybe the Wurmcoil; I'd have to see it.

Dehtraen posted:

The list is great actually, every single card other than maybe duplicant, staff of domination, black vise, and meekstone I've seen played in legacy or modern recently.

Staff is in MUD which has been displaced by Eldrazi, Meekstone is a moderately common sideboard card, and Duplicant is in vintage MUD. Black Vise is the only real dud, and they probably put that in right after they unbanned it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 24, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
They aren't as cool but so many of those are actually played in legacy / modern... I'd rather see worthwhile reprints than garbage standard only rares

Hey, what formats do you play and what decks?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ornithopter? Are you loving serious?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's an iconic artifact. (And it's actually played)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm aware. I'm already looking forward to people pulling it in their prerelease packs and being overcome with dread.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
gently caress the lotto aspect of masterpieces.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ornithopter as a foil Mythic is utterly hilarious.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
"how expensive can we make a Robots deck?" -WotC

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

The schematics underneath Pithing Needle show how to insert the plug into Eva Unit 01.

An Easter egg for the anime set we have been longing for?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Lol at Ornithopter. I would say it's the booby prize but it's way more playable and tradeable than Champion's Helm. I'm sad there's no Mindslaver but the list looks real good. Of note is that 3 of them are missing, presumably because they are cards from Aether Revolt.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

:cry: I can't believe WotC is making me open these random $40 cards instead of a random worthless common. :cry:

IDIOTS! No wonder they're going bankrupt!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Lets Pickle posted:

Lol at Ornithopter. I would say it's the booby prize but it's way more playable and tradeable than Champion's Helm. I'm sad there's no Mindslaver but the list looks real good. Of note is that 3 of them are missing, presumably because they are cards from Aether Revolt.

I'm guessing they're not doing another mythic artifact cycle for this one, then, since otherwise they'd save 5 slots. Seems like a pretty good lineup at any rate, nothing really jumps out at me as "who would play this ever in any format".

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I'm guessing they're not doing another mythic artifact cycle for this one, then, since otherwise they'd save 5 slots. Seems like a pretty good lineup at any rate, nothing really jumps out at me as "who would play this ever in any format".

It hits their philosophy of providing rare reprints no one asked for, a la Dragonmaster Outcast and Felidar Sovereign.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

It hits their philosophy of providing rare reprints no one asked for, a la Dragonmaster Outcast and Felidar Sovereign.

Says you nerd, Dragonmaster Outcast was a great reprint

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Weren't some of these supposed to be cards from Aether Revolt? Or was that only the Gearhulks from Kaladesh?

Also, Ornithoper has nice art now shut up.

Edit: Also Sundering Titan looks like an Evangelion.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 24, 2016

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Expedition/Masterpiece non-sense is cool and I'm glad they are doing that but gently caress, could the at least try not to make the cards look butt loving ugly.

What a downer it must be to open a cool, playable, special rare and have it be in that ugly rear end card frame.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Weren't some of these supposed to be cards from Aether Revolt? Or was that only the Gearhulks from Kaladesh?

There are three Masterpieces still unspoiled, presumably those are the ones from this set.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The Expedition/Masterpiece non-sense is cool and I'm glad they are doing that but gently caress, could the at least try not to make the cards look butt loving ugly.

What a downer it must be to open a cool, playable, special rare and have it be in that ugly rear end card frame.

They look nice in person. At least the ones with good art.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I felt the same way about the masterpieces until I saw one in person and they actually are pretty dope

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
they shouldve used the mirrodin flavor text for ornithopter

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Molybdenum posted:

they shouldve used the mirrodin flavor text for ornithopter

I dunno, I like the thought of the Consulate confiscation agents looking from their "WARNING: This Thing Might Kill You!" memo to the gold filigree hummingbird fluttering about their head

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm hoping that one of those masterpieces is a reprint in aether revolt ensnaring bridge

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm hoping that one of those masterpieces is a reprint in aether revolt ensnaring bridge

Well that would stop Emrakul

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah I felt the same way about the masterpieces until I saw one in person and they actually are pretty dope

Lotus Petal looks loving sweet and I almost want one

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Archenteron posted:

I dunno, I like the thought of the Consulate confiscation agents looking from their "WARNING: This Thing Might Kill You!" memo to the gold filigree hummingbird fluttering about their head

I like the thought of them panicking, then realizing it's actually harmless, then panicking again when they remember that they left all those swords lying around for it to pick up.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Opening a Mind's Eye did not change my negative opinion, but you see, I'm an aesthete.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Star Man posted:

Ornithopter? Are you loving serious?

It's one of the most iconic artifacts in the history of the game and also sees heavy play in a popular deck. It's totally worthy of a Masterpiece.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would open and play the Thopter in this format too. Actually I would play most of these.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dehtraen posted:

Aether Revolt masterpieces are up http://magic.wizards.com/en/AERMasterpieces

The list is great actually, every single card other than maybe duplicant, staff of domination, black vise, and meekstone I've seen played in legacy or modern recently.

Black Vise, Meekstone, and Extraplanar Lens are the dime-store garbage in the set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just going to put it out there that these masterpieces in small way might confirm that none of the expensive masterpiece cards are ever seeing reprints in masters sets. I assume ensnaring bridge is just going to go up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Just going to put it out there that these masterpieces in small way might confirm that none of the expensive masterpiece cards are ever seeing reprints in masters sets. I assume ensnaring bridge is just going to go up.

Mana Crypt was in EMA what are you talking about?

Edit:

Toshimo posted:

This loving thread.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 25, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sickening posted:

This loving thread.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Voyager I posted:

It's one of the most iconic artifacts in the history of the game and also sees heavy play in a popular deck. It's totally worthy of a Masterpiece.

Agreed. Ornithopter is awesome. I'd much rather they do a heavily-played common than some forgotten $2 mythic. Almost all of these cards see play in some format; I think they've done a good job.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dysgenesis posted:

OTOH, Ensnaring Bridge should be banned from Modern and every copy thrown in a tire fire just in case WotC changed their minds

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

You can put it back in there, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Autism Sneaks posted:

OTOH, Ensnaring Bridge should be banned from Modern and every copy thrown in a tire fire just in case WotC changed their minds

Yeah Ensnaring Bridge does not promote fun gameplay.

• Locked thread