Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Sab0921 posted:

A few days/pages late, but this guy has all the traits needed to be a good lawyer. Dead inside, eyes that say "my kids hate me", mild sociopathy, obsession with inane details, smug self satisfaction (the INTELLECTUAL RIGOR OF CONTRACT DRAFTING).

Basically this dude is the only good lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0XWSBAe-1U&t=77s

Thank you. I've been getting bombarded with emails about a JD opening and now I'm just going to respond to all of them with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

The halogen lamps in my windowless office hide the moonless night. But the thin walls betray the storm raging outside. I pick up the collateral finance agreement off my desk and hold it close to my chest. My voice is but a whisper. "Sleep well, little one. The thunder will not get you tonight. Go and be with your brothers and sisters." Gently placing the agreement back in the filing cabinet, I put on my coat and head towards the door. The phone buzzes, and my thoughts turn to my family. "I wonder how Dad's surgery went?" I check my phone. 6 missed calls - Mom.

Litany
Feb 5, 2005
the stains become a warning?

Sab0921 posted:

“I went to law school thinking I wanted to help people,” she said. “I’d like to tell myself I’m still going to help people” by becoming a mergers-and-acquisitions and debt-finance lawyer. But in any event, “it’s really interesting work.”

"After the end of a complex deal, you sometimes wonder if your work has made any difference at all. But when you look into the eyes of a CFO, and see his joy that he'll be able to report slightly more favorable results on the quarterly earnings call, it helps you realize that it's all worth it."

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

:perfect:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The picture might be even better - I hate these guys already.

http://imgur.com/a/kdL5r

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 28, 2017

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
No one will ever hug these lawyers

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

LOL.

Yup, you found it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nm posted:

I'm going to New Orleans in like 3 weeks. Phil, tell me where to eat.

What part of town you staying in? Do you want to stay around there or are you willing to venture? Lunch or dinner? Fun or business?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

A few days/pages late, but this guy has all the traits needed to be a good lawyer. Dead inside, eyes that say "my kids hate me", mild sociopathy, obsession with inane details, smug self satisfaction (the INTELLECTUAL RIGOR OF CONTRACT DRAFTING).

Basically this dude is the only good lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0XWSBAe-1U&t=77s

Old guy in the corner suite
Works upstairs and checks my timesheet
He's there just to make sure we bill hours,
Without ever taking a shower

Partner in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Partner in Charge
Of our souls and our cites

And I sing, I want,
I want Partner in Charge of me

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What part of town you staying in? Do you want to stay around there or are you willing to venture? Lunch or dinner? Fun or business?

Mid city.
Willing to venture, but no car
I eat all meals.
Fun.
Difficulty -- i will be biking in from nashville, so no places that require fancy clothes because they don't pack well in pannier.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

Mid city.
Willing to venture, but no car
I eat all meals.
Fun.
Difficulty -- i will be biking in from nashville, so no places that require fancy clothes because they don't pack well in pannier.

Here are some suggestions for you.

Midcity

Lola's - really good Paella. You can bring your own beer (50 cent corkage) or wine ($7) but they serve it there too. I like to bring a bottle to drink while waiting for a table since I think it's still no reservations.

http://www.lolasneworleans.com/

Parkway Bakery - Poboys, right by the Bayou.

http://parkwaypoorboys.com/

Mo Pho - kind of a vietnamese fusion place

http://mophonola.com/

Toup's Meatery - meat restaurant

http://toupsmeatery.com/

Bulldog - beer and bar food, lots of beers on tap if that's your thing. The local brewery scene has exploded in the last few years ever since a bullshit legislative monopoly expired.

http://bulldog-midcity.draftfreak.com/

Depending how far you are willing to ride, you can go down Canal St or Esplanade (which is much prettier) to the CBD/quarter and down Carrollton to the Uptown area. If so that opens up a whole bunch of places.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 28, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Depending how far you are willing to ride, you can go down Canal St or Esplanade (which is much prettier) to the CBD/quarter and down Carrollton to the Uptown area. If so that opens up a whole bunch of places.

If he's biking 500 miles from Nashville, I don't think going another 3 miles from mid-city will be a problem.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Seconding Parkway and Bulldog, they're both fantastic places.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

If he's biking 500 miles from Nashville, I don't think going another 3 miles from mid-city will be a problem.

I agree but I can't tell you how many people I know who spend $1000 to fly here and get a hotel downtown, but then don't want to take an Uber out of the quarter. :shrug:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also I've seen bikers get killed by trucks on Canal street, so nm if you do decide to ride from Midcity to the FQ/CBD, you should take the Laffitte Greenway

http://www.lafittegreenway.org/map

e. And I hope you document your trip and post pictures here, that sounds awesome. Are you taking the Natchez trace?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Old guy in the corner suite
Works upstairs and checks my timesheet
He's there just to make sure we bill hours,
Without ever taking a shower

Partner in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Partner in Charge
Of our souls and our cites

And I sing, I want,
I want Partner in Charge of me

This is....my life :(

I guess I don't cite things

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Oh man you should SEE the photos our judge decided weren't good enough to identify my client. :moonrio::moonrio:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I'm enjoying the intellectual rigor of redaction across 10k+ pages.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also I've seen bikers get killed by trucks on Canal street, so nm if you do decide to ride from Midcity to the FQ/CBD, you should take the Laffitte Greenway

http://www.lafittegreenway.org/map

e. And I hope you document your trip and post pictures here, that sounds awesome. Are you taking the Natchez trace?

Yes. I actually don't plan on biking much in new orleans itself as I have to get it boxed back up and shipped fairly quickly.

Also, locking up a really expensive bike on the street in new orleans seems like a good way to go home sans bike.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's question:

How often do your clients try to hug you?

These fuckers go in for a hug at least once a week.

I mimed my boy in the docket a fist-bump from counsel table during the last sentences of our judge's reasons this morning. :coal:

e: I probably get a hug every 2-3 months

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

nm posted:

Yes. I actually don't plan on biking much in new orleans itself as I have to get it boxed back up and shipped fairly quickly.

Also, locking up a really expensive bike on the street in new orleans seems like a good way to go home sans bike.

Be sure to take a picture of mammy's kitchen on the trace, for a while it was the thumbnail for the wikipedia article on racism :heritage:. She's gotten lighter as america has liberalized about that whole race thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
im surrounded by horrible bitter lawyers intent on being complete assholes to everyone else that's "beneath" them and then their animosity is skyrocketing as their poor planning backfires on them and god I just don't want to work anywhere ever again

that being said is there a good term for white collar working class. everything I've ever done has been assembly line style but my shirts don't have my name on it as much as I'd like them to

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

nm posted:

Let me make another recommendation: Bayou Wine Garden

http://bayouwinegarden.com/

very cool place.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Oh boy, another sovereign citizen opponent. (Alleged) Moorish Nation guy this time. I'll give him credit, his handwriting is impeccable (he is doing a bid for attempted murder) and his claims, while unavailing and time-barred by the statute of limitations, are not just a bunch of made-up gibberish. Fun times.

Medical marijuana clients give a lot more (bro-)hugs than prisoners rights litigation clients do.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I really enjoy the names the Moorish Nation give themselves

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

im surrounded by horrible bitter lawyers intent on being complete assholes to everyone else that's "beneath" them and then their animosity is skyrocketing as their poor planning backfires on them and god I just don't want to work anywhere ever again

that being said is there a good term for white collar working class. everything I've ever done has been assembly line style but my shirts don't have my name on it as much as I'd like them to

Get your initials embroidered on your cuff like a decent member of society.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Here are some suggestions for you.

Midcity

Lola's - really good Paella. You can bring your own beer (50 cent corkage) or wine ($7) but they serve it there too. I like to bring a bottle to drink while waiting for a table since I think it's still no reservations.

http://www.lolasneworleans.com/

Parkway Bakery - Poboys, right by the Bayou.

http://parkwaypoorboys.com/

Mo Pho - kind of a vietnamese fusion place

http://mophonola.com/

Toup's Meatery - meat restaurant

http://toupsmeatery.com/

Bulldog - beer and bar food, lots of beers on tap if that's your thing. The local brewery scene has exploded in the last few years ever since a bullshit legislative monopoly expired.

http://bulldog-midcity.draftfreak.com/

Depending how far you are willing to ride, you can go down Canal St or Esplanade (which is much prettier) to the CBD/quarter and down Carrollton to the Uptown area.

No rec for Willie Mae's Scotch House? Tsk tsk. It's a New Orleans institution and supposedly the best fried chicken in the city. Katie's was featured on Food Network for Diners Dives and Drive Ins, I think. Mandina's has huge portions of fried seafood.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lote posted:

No rec for Willie Mae's Scotch House? Tsk tsk. It's a New Orleans institution and supposedly the best fried chicken in the city. Katie's was featured on Food Network for Diners Dives and Drive Ins, I think. Mandina's has huge portions of fried seafood.

Those are all fine but Willie Mae's is not in the ideal neighborhood to access by foot or bike. But if you are keen on fried chicken and soul food you should try it. Katie's is ok but nothing special in my opinion. Mandinas is like 20 other New Orleans restaurants but yes if you want the traditional "Cajun/Creole" food it's good.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Those are all fine but Willie Mae's is not in the ideal neighborhood to access by foot or bike. But if you are keen on fried chicken and soul food you should try it. Katie's is ok but nothing special in my opinion. Mandinas is like 20 other New Orleans restaurants but yes if you want the traditional "Cajun/Creole" food it's good.

Willie Mae's is like the one restaurant that is relatively convenient for the street car that would get me to use it. The neighborhood isn't that terrible especially since I walk through a nearby neighborhood all the time. The new hospital and VA have really helped that area out.

I was trheowing out Mandina's and Katie's because they're TV/New Orleans famous. I agree they're not the best go-to's for restaurants but they're institutions. Like Mothers. There is a new restaurant that opened in July called Vessel. I've heard good things. It's Mediterranean.

Also for anyone that doesn't know, New Orleans food is at the same level as its music and alcohol. I gained 20 pounds from the food in 6 months.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil where should I eat when I'm depressed?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd get to tinker with the website of my law firm, but here I am
I guess this is what associates in boutiques do

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I had some amazing oysters Rockefeller when I was in New Orleans, but I also remember catfish from a gas station being pretty good so maybe I was just drunk the whole time I was there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lote posted:

Willie Mae's is like the one restaurant that is relatively convenient for the street car that would get me to use it. The neighborhood isn't that terrible especially since I walk through a nearby neighborhood all the time. The new hospital and VA have really helped that area out.

I was trheowing out Mandina's and Katie's because they're TV/New Orleans famous. I agree they're not the best go-to's for restaurants but they're institutions. Like Mothers. There is a new restaurant that opened in July called Vessel. I've heard good things. It's Mediterranean.

Cool man, I'll defer to you on that area. You doing jazz fest? I just had a crabmeat beignet and Cochon de lait Po boy, it's a beautiful day

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cool man, I'll defer to you on that area. You doing jazz fest? I just had a crabmeat beignet and Cochon de lait Po boy, it's a beautiful day

I'm going to a wedding. My friends have terrible timing. Maybe next week. Where do you park? I hear people get crushed with parking tickets near there durng Jazz fest.

I also prefer the downtown restaurants because I know them so well, and there are some amazing Uptown restaurants that I think are the best values in the city.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I think the most important thing I learned in my first year in law school is that I don't want to be a loving lawyer

One year of my life wasted is better than 3 years + a lifetime of doing something I don't want to do. Dropping out. Thanks in advance for the congratulations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I think the most important thing I learned in my first year in law school is that I don't want to be a loving lawyer

One year of my life wasted is better than 3 years + a lifetime of doing something I don't want to do. Dropping out. Thanks in advance for the congratulations.

My first year of law school, there was a girl that got cold called in like the second week of torts, and someone was like "she dropped out" and we all had a good chuckle, but in fact, she was the wisest of all of us

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
how soon until a biglaw partner that's the dad of some kid at fyre festival sues bella Hadid/other Instagram models + Twitter into the ground over advertising issues

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Two posts in thread, first mocking law revue, second dropping out.

Another nominee for best new law thread poster of 2017.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Congrats, I envy you!