Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I haven't yet! I might go grab some wood arrows and fire enchant my bow and just take it slow. Hopefully the phantom there doesn't get me a thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
in general, the guardbreak move is super useful against npc phantoms. make sure to use it if you aren't already

black gulch pro tip: there's a second bonfire just before the boss door

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
before I reset, I was using my channeler's trident and it was hilariously effective against the Forlorn ones. They just can't get the stamina to get to you if you keep twirling it at them.

I miss kick, though.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 5, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hah, the Black Gulch. Stumbled in today late at night, missed the bonfire, tried to dodge poison spit, aggroed everything and got promptly eaten by face huggers. On the way back I fell off a ladder losing all souls from the Gutter. Sometimes you should just go to sleep.
Also I skilled back to pure sorcery after trying out hexes since Soul Vessels don't seem particular rare. The Sunset staffs casting speed is really bad compared to the sorcerer's staff and absent a fully upgraded one I just put out more damage using Heavy Soul Arrow as my go to spell. Also seems to have shorter range.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Oof, NG+ Rotten is a hell of a lot harder than NG Rotten.

edit:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/356148425669202060/8E69FA7A3D84C6C571D8168C83464AD1D1D62FB4/

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 5, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

toasterwarrior posted:

So I got the parry timing on Heide Knights down. Well, at least the sword-wielders. I figured with their aggression that a shield might be a better pick over dual-wielding, and it turns out that an ordinary kite shield can actually block giant swords and hammers and poo poo really well despite what you may think. Sorry, Snak :shobon:

The Old Knights are mostly manageable thanks to the mace, though of course multiples of them are annoying to deal with. However, Heide Knights with spears are absolute fuckers to deal with, and I just can't fight them without a shield because of their lightning-fast recovery. I've resorted to spending two levels to be able to wield a halberd just so I can trade blows with them from a safe distance. My experiment with an estoc failed since they don't cause hitstun on pokes, and I just end up eating more stabs to the face.

I ended up farming the one on the stairs to extinction in my attempts to figure its weakness out, and I just know I'm going to find more of these fuckers as I progress. In pairs.
Wear the Stone Ring and never take it off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Wear the Stone Ring and never take it off.

I think I missed this one. Of the areas in Fallen Giants, I haven't been to some door with a golden knight in front of it and a pit with fire lizards because of obvious reasons. Is it a drop from that troll thing by the river?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I think I missed this one. Of the areas in Fallen Giants, I haven't been to some door with a golden knight in front of it and a pit with fire lizards because of obvious reasons. Is it a drop from that troll thing by the river?
It is, in fact, a drop from a Troll. But it's the one hidden in Things Betwixt riiiight at the very start of the game!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

It is, in fact, a drop from a Troll. But it's the one hidden in Things Betwixt riiiight at the very start of the game!

Oh yeah, I remember that trail of footprints right by the Firekeepers. Thanks!

EDIT: Well, I got it! Troll was easier than it looks; just stay behind it and attack whenever it tries to butt-stomp you, which its AI prefers to use to its detriment.

Unfortunately I don't think it's working at all. That spear knight flinches only on a strong attack, which is extremely inadvisable. I did find out you could roll past him and go for a backstab on the final part of his two-swing -> jumping thrust combo, but whiffing it has sever consequences.

Doesn't work on the sword knights either. That drat staircase knight is proving to be a worse nemesis than the Pursuer at this rate.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 5, 2016

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I didn't realize endings were added to SOTFS. I'm playing this blind but would like to see the new ending. From skimming this thread it seems like it's possible to miss out on it. Is there a way to screw yourself out of accessing the DLC zones? I won't be too upset if I gently caress up the ending, but I don't want to gently caress up accessing the DLCs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's no way to permanently miss out on them, but you need to get the keys for them first. In the case of one key it's highly unlikely you will have gotten it by the time you reach the DLC entrance, and in the case of another it's actually impossible to get it until after you've gotten to the entrance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anyone have some tips for Vendrick? I only have 4 Giant Souls because I didn't want to deal with the Ancient Dragon. Is he weak to any kind of element? I'd like to use spells but they seem to do nothing. I know that you can stick close to him with melee, but I'd love to find something that might get me splattered less.

you shouldn't even be getting hit when you stick to his leg because his sword goes right over you. it takes a while, but it's pretty easy and the best method of fighting him. you might need to get away from him to pull him away from the wall at times tho. do it something like this. also mute that video because the sound is bad

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wildtortilla posted:

I didn't realize endings were added to SOTFS. I'm playing this blind but would like to see the new ending. From skimming this thread it seems like it's possible to miss out on it. Is there a way to screw yourself out of accessing the DLC zones? I won't be too upset if I gently caress up the ending, but I don't want to gently caress up accessing the DLCs.

Just make sure you kill Vendrick before fighting the endboss, and you'll get the option for the new ending.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Wildtortilla posted:

The keys to the DLC are absurdly hidden to the point where you kind of have to wiki it. The entrances are after rotten, after Iron King and in Shrine of Winter if you want to play them in order. The enemies are pretty tough, so do them either after opening the shrine of winter if you want a challenge, or after getting the Ashen Mist Heart if you want a smooth difficulty curve.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Game, Trolls are horribly boring to fight, while at the same time dangerous if you miss a dodge because you're bored. Putting three of them in a row is bad design. Also, a monster menagerie of 5 creatures in where 3 are the same is silly. Luckily, the next area was awesome-looking, even if dragons are kind of chumps.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Game, Trolls are horribly boring to fight, while at the same time dangerous if you miss a dodge because you're bored. Putting three of them in a row is bad design. Also, a monster menagerie of 5 creatures in where 3 are the same is silly. Luckily, the next area was awesome-looking, even if dragons are kind of chumps.

Lol if you fought all those instead of leaving them up high in their cages.

Yes Trolls suck (why are they called Trolls? I thought they were Cyclopses...)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Lol if you fought all those instead of leaving them up high in their cages.

Yes Trolls suck (why are they called Trolls? I thought they were Cyclopses...)

People usually just call enemies whatever they want since they rarely have in game names. The wikis (and thus probably the guide which I think is where "official" names come from) call them Ogres.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but Cyclopses are fortunate enough to have a specific and destinctive physical feature. I am suprised to see the wiki calls them ogres.

I am all for people calling them whatever they want though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

pumpersnuckles

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
holy poo poo, I just had my first NPC invader. i thought i was doomed, as i was in the middle of fighting some tough enemies. but then this blue guy appeared and SAVED me!!! and then he waved goodbye and i got a free human effigy.

dark souls 2 is the coolest game i've ever played.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Snak posted:

In regular dark souls, I wouldn't mind, but that's loving soul memory I just went up for nothing. I already can't find coop anywhere. God damnit.
It's entirely possible that your SM is too low, rather than too high.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

It's entirely possible that your SM is too low, rather than too high.

yeah, that's probably true. Did they fix the horribly narrow brackets in SotfS? I remember looking them up in vanilla DS2 and realizing it was a total crapshoot to get coop, because a singe boss kill could easily move you into the next bracket.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anyone have some tips for Vendrick? I only have 4 Giant Souls because I didn't want to deal with the Ancient Dragon. Is he weak to any kind of element? I'd like to use spells but they seem to do nothing. I know that you can stick close to him with melee, but I'd love to find something that might get me splattered less.

Although Vendrick is definitely manageable with 4 souls, the Ancient Dragon isn't the nightmare it used to be. Hug one of the hind legs (do not lock-on) and sprint towards the end of the tail when it jumps to perform the flying breath attack, which no longer one-shots you. The only thing you really have to worry about is stamina management, since if you completely run out, you won't be able to run away and avoid the breath attack if you're still waiting for it to recharge. It has another attack apart from the standard leg swipes where it jumps into the air but does not breathe fire; it simply smashes down onto the area you were standing when it hit the peak of its jump. A much easier fight now, in my opinion.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

My experiment with an estoc failed since they don't cause hitstun on pokes, and I just end up eating more stabs to the face.

E: Answered a few posts up.

Rob Haldorson fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 5, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Rob Haldorson posted:

Although Vendrick is definitely manageable with 4 souls, the Ancient Dragon isn't the nightmare it used to be. Hug one of the hind legs (do not lock-on) and sprint towards the end of the tail when it jumps to perform the flying breath attack, which no longer one-shots you. The only thing you really have to worry about is stamina management, since if you completely run out, you won't be able to run away and avoid the breath attack if you're still waiting for it to recharge. It has another attack apart from the standard leg swipes where it jumps into the air but does not breathe fire; it simply smashes down onto the area you were standing when it hit the peak of its jump. A much easier fight now, in my opinion.

But, but... why would anyone want to murder the Cool Dragon Buddy? :ohdear:

Seriously, the Ancient Dragon appears to be benign and, like, 100% blameless for all of the crap that goes down. Am I missing something?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ghost of Starman posted:

But, but... why would anyone want to murder the Cool Dragon Buddy? :ohdear:

Seriously, the Ancient Dragon appears to be benign and, like, 100% blameless for all of the crap that goes down. Am I missing something?
People will kill it mostly to say that they did so. The rewards aren't that great and holy gently caress it's a long fight. But it's still there, and as the saying goes "if it has hit points we can kill it".

Also I wouldn't exactly call it a Cool Dragon Buddy, considering that it's just a fake dragon that Aldia cooked up as another failed attempt to break the cycle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wasn't there an achievement for killing it?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
All dragons must die, especially the phony ones.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

All dragons must die, especially the phony ones.

Lord Gwyn did nothing wrong.

... what, you think I'm kidding?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Everything ends.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't there an achievement for killing it?

No, just meeting it. Only other reason really is to make Vendrick weaker, if for some reason you can manage to kill AD but not Vendrick (or you want all 5 Giant Souls). I've heard they made AD easier with patches, but at vanilla DS2 launch his flying fire breath was expansive and brutal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ah, I guess I remembered wrong

but yea vanilla ancient dragon's fire was basically an instant kill and it was nearly impossible to dodge it. that's why the old strategy for the fight involved using pre nerf gower's ring of protection to eat the hit for free. his health was also absurdly high and anyone that didn't bring repair powder was just asking for trouble

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Rotten is really good at turning 180 degrees instantly mid move to snag me in a dodge with that grab. He really highlights the turntable issue.

I don't remember the hollows with Dark enchanted broken swords killing me in two hits before. I like the gutter for atmosphere but that seems like an exceptionally cheap move.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
OTOH the rotten is extremely trivial when you're staying in front of him and either roll into his swing or directly forward and never take a hit. All his attacks have huge wind ups and he does very very little to surprise you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just met that Ancient Dragon you were talking about. Stood below its head, targeted it and went "nope".

The approach sequence was very well done, both to the castle and to the dragon itself, and didn't want it to end in bloodshed. Butchering the host is bad manners, people.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, don't try to hit the Rotten from behind. It's far safer to just dodge into his poo poo.

Also, there are two kinds of hollows (excluding torch ones) in the Gutter: those who have the dark swords, and those who don't. The dark sword ones are nasty bitches. I think they've always been, too. It's hard to see which ones have it until it's too late...

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Nothing else hit me, got him in one try. It's just that if you are behind him when he grabs he will absolutely ninja spin to catch you. I don't dislike the game too much for it but the enemies openly don't have to commit to their attacks the same way a player does, with the possible exception of giant weapons. It's annoying, in my opinion.

So how often can I expect the Pursuer to pursue? The game box spoils him showing up next to the sex change coffin, and I've run into him once in the forest, three different places in the Bastille, but none in the gutter or gulch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Nothing else hit me, got him in one try. It's just that if you are behind him when he grabs he will absolutely ninja spin to catch you. I don't dislike the game too much for it but the enemies openly don't have to commit to their attacks the same way a player does, with the possible exception of giant weapons. It's annoying, in my opinion.

So how often can I expect the Pursuer to pursue? The game box spoils him showing up next to the sex change coffin, and I've run into him once in the forest, three different places in the Bastille, but none in the gutter or gulch.

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think he pursues past the Bastille. But there's like 5 fights with him there if you can find them all.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There are a couple more places you can see your old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
That first courtyard attack is such a bastard ambush too. There are crossbowmen trying to light explosive barrels, fast dogs with faster attacks, and while you're managing those two, SURPRISE! Pursuer smokes in behind you and the only warning you get before catching a curse-stab in the back is his Darth Vader breath. It's amazingly dickish. :allears:

I can't get him to come back there though. I went up the ladder to try a plunge attack but he disappeared. I thought he just left like he does but I still hear the breathing every time I pass the place.