Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Cute choice of faux seal skin in the seat. As in club baby seals 3w to 3months old that dont know wtf with mallets, skin em toss the body.

Yes, i use reindeer fur on my seats, but thats an hearded and farmed animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mister Speaker posted:

Are the bearings on a bicycle wheel even going to hold up to hours of highway speed?

I sent that to my brother who was until very recently a professional bicycle mechanic and his response was "oh that poor rear hub" so no, I don't think so

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I feel like without the weight of a rider(s) the wheel bearings would probably be fine. Not so sure about the freehub/freewheel guts though. I don't think the tire would catastrophically fail but it's probably not going to have a lot of miles left for actual riding either

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's a sacrificial wheel, if you zoom in you can see there are two wheels strapped to the bike with the closest one even having a cassette on it

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Just saw this on IG https://www.instagram.com/p/CoxjP11OCPB/?hl=en

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

Cute choice of faux seal skin in the seat. As in club baby seals 3w to 3months old that dont know wtf with mallets, skin em toss the body.

Yes, i use reindeer fur on my seats, but thats an hearded and farmed animal.

It's probably real seal skin, because the uncultured savages of the North American arctic hunt them, much to the chagrin of enlightened and civilized Europeans. Maybe what's needed is more residential schools to cure them of their barbaric customs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A bmw adv rendered even more useless and topped off with a seat made of baby seals is the epitome of something I can't quite articulate but know I really don't like

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Snapshot posted:

Anything else interesting there this year? Need some gear, but that isn’t enough motivation.

Not really. Just the usual suspects you find at the Mississauga earlier show. I just went to go sit on bikes, but seems like Kawasaki and BMW skipped the show this year (not sure if bmw ever made an appearance tbh) but the whole thing felt smaller than I remember. Mind you I still prefer this one to the bigger Mississauga show with 1000 Harley lifestyle booths.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I dont see the appeal of the snow bikes. especially with a GS as the base.

real snowmobiles are 2 stroke 800cc nightmares that will rip your face off. A GS is boring and more expensive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Are the bearings on a bicycle wheel even going to hold up to hours of highway speed?

Only one way to find out

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitrox posted:

People who are in love with that generation of goldwing are the boomer-est. Approach at your own risk

People who are in love with that gen want a fuel injected goldwing but aren’t willing to buy a new one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those things hold their value insanely well and are insanely irritating to work on. Yes you absolutely must have five brake hoses, covered by a four piece cover, held on with three different types of screw, on the front wheel alone. Anything less and you might look like a peasant!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

Those things hold their value insanely well and are insanely irritating to work on. Yes you absolutely must have five brake hoses, covered by a four piece cover, held on with three different types of screw, on the front wheel alone. Anything less and you might look like a peasant!

Are the new ones any better to work on?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d argue the only “easy” goldwing to work on was the first gen naked one.

Even my 85 was cladded in all kinds of covers and plastic and getting the carbs out was a royal pain

The 90’s wing might actually be a maintenance improvement because it only has two carbs, each feeding 3 cylinders?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Are the new ones any better to work on?

No idea

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d argue the only “easy” goldwing to work on was the first gen naked one.

Even my 85 was cladded in all kinds of covers and plastic and getting the carbs out was a royal pain

The 90’s wing might actually be a maintenance improvement because it only has two carbs, each feeding 3 cylinders?

The ones like the orange one are the worst by a huge margin trust me. Imagine having to take basically all the fairings off the bike just to change an air filter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Funny you mention that, feel free to ask me why I’ve had an air filter for months and haven’t installed it yet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dyno testing my goldwing to check for air filter blockage because it's easier than visually inspecting

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The 18+ models aren't any easier (of course) - the air filter is under the center storage cubby, and to remove that, you have to take off most every piece of body plastic between the nose and the saddlebags on both sides of the bike

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Should just leave it like that.

What's a modern naked Goldwing look like? (Valkyries need not apply)

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Slide Hammer posted:

A Rune.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Goldwing wishes. Maybe the F6b bagger? Though I don't really think it qualifies as naked.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s the same motor, but a pretty different chassis and everything if I recall correctly.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s the same motor, but a pretty different chassis and everything if I recall correctly.

It is the same motor. So essentially a naked Goldwing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

That's like saying a Honda Varedero is essentially a naked Firehawk.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:allears:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slide Hammer posted:

If Valkyries don't count, then you're stripping the plastics off, and any "modern" Goldwing with no plastics is ugly as fuuuuuuuck. Wouldn't even call em a rat bike, they just look like an unfinished mess of wiring and rubber hose. Even the frame is ugly.

The F6B, and in the 18+ models the Goldwing (no Tour) is the same as the Tour models but no top case/tour pak (duh) and comfort features like heated grips/seat/etc. that you can tack back on as accessories.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Nah - see above.

Honda lost money on every Rune they sold - short of the motor, some of the electronics, and quasi-generic parts like rotors basically everything on that bike was made specifically for the Rune. Different frame, wheels, exhaust, hell even little stuff like the front MC. They did not raid the parts bin for that bike, and it shows if you have to replace anything. FortNine had an interesting video about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There had better be one seat in that sidecar, and then a space to put a Honda Spree to use as a dinghy when you get to your destination

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Only $1200 bucks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats..............actually a good deal for the bike alone. The side hack on top of it makes it really cheap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I mean, agree to disagree? I think a Rune and a goldwing are very different bikes, despite sharing a powertrain. I feel like a person who wants a Rune isnt cross-shopping Goldwings, and vice-versa

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That bike is somewhere in walking distance from my house. Seems like it might be in the same complex as Beaverton Motorcycles.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005

I think this is a scam because I saw the same bike listed near me (I posted this in the bikevestments thread a while back)

Anyway, as long as I'm here, anyone know the bike that was used in Nope?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

T Zero posted:

Anyway, as long as I'm here, anyone know the bike that was used in Nope?

It's an Energica, not sure which one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-C9GaCgrMA

So good.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
One day I will learn to Akira slide on a Gold Wing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know if it's possible irl tbh, maybe on dirt?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its nuts how akira nailed both the coolest bike design and the coolest bike move, neither of which have been successfully replicated.

Anyway, yeah, I think the akira slide is basically impossible on pavement, and maybe doable on dirt but it would be tough (doubly so on a goldwing)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's a hockey stop on a motorcycle. It's impossible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a shame every Akira rep is made by some dork who can't ride for poo poo and is based on some lame slow bike so all the attention is on cosmetics but not on making it live up to the looks

I reckon you could get pretty close to both if you started with a diavel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Flat track guys get pretty close:
https://youtu.be/i2wIr7zHwUo

Someone get red bull to sponsor a video of their riders from different disciplines trying to do one. Seems like an easy promo ad.