Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much slower are the low power cores vs the high perf? Seems like there would be some interesting scheduling/data dependency for highly threaded workloads if you spread the work across the different cores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Shaocaholica posted:

How much slower are the low power cores vs the high perf? Seems like there would be some interesting scheduling/data dependency for highly threaded workloads if you spread the work across the different cores

IIRC, benchmarks show that four efficiency cores are roughly equivalent to one power core

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

irpoweroutlet posted:

IIRC, benchmarks show that four efficiency cores are roughly equivalent to one power core

Can all cores run at once? Will/do we see apps that treat 4big+4little functionally as a 5 core cpu?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can all cores run at once? Will/do we see apps that treat 4big+4little functionally as a 5 core cpu?

They can, though I'm not sure how apps see it.

Installing Tiger on a non-watercooled G5 right now, I forgot how much of a right pain in the rear end this stuff used to be. I should probably re-paste it too, but I really don't want to deal with removing the ridiculous heatsinks on this thing or re-attaching them to the bare dies underneath.

E: my cd drive better have not just died on me...

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 27, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The performance difference between Intel macs and PPC macs was so vast after two years that dumping the PPC Macs after 2 years was reasonable. In 2 years Intel macs will still be fast and more than capable of handling any new MacOS version for 5 - 10 years to come without issue.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, but at some point you have to drop "legacy" x86 support in order to force some developers to migrate to Apple Silicon, and Apple has no issue with doing so sooner rather than later. It also eliminates the need to continue to support the x86 code base.

Edit:

Binary Badger posted:

fortowards the end, Apple was selling the 2.7 GHz G5 with a friggin' One KW power supply..
It's had a 1KW PSU ever since. And Intel might not be too far off a similar situation due to Rocket Lake...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 27, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Some Goon posted:

They can, though I'm not sure how apps see it.

Installing Tiger on a non-watercooled G5 right now, I forgot how much of a right pain in the rear end this stuff used to be. I should probably re-paste it too, but I really don't want to deal with removing the ridiculous heatsinks on this thing or re-attaching them to the bare dies underneath.

E: my cd drive better have not just died on me...

Lol the heat sinks are fine it’s the water one that sucks to remove. Also yes the install and media suck balls. I think I bought a retail disc just to avoid burning a dual layer that might fail.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple showed no extended love for Powermac G5 so....

If pro apps start doing arm builds what’s keeping Apple from doing the same?

Supposedly there may still be an Intel bump in the pipeline for some machines before everything goes Intel Silicon, so I think you're safe for 2 or 3 more versions at least.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

My air was delivered yesterday. Never had a mac pc, what a nice piece of hardware.
One weird thing I had the screen went black today and didn't light up when I pressed a few keys (but was making sounds), after I put it to sleep it prompted me for macOS update.
Do people tend to use the trackpad for a mouse all the time? I was looking at keyboard shortcuts docs so I try to rely on the keyboard more actively than I would on a windows but anyway the trackpad is surprisingly usable. I hope I won't destroy the device through misuse. Like, is there enough durability to click the trackpad all the time or people just don't do that?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shy posted:

Like, is there enough durability to click the trackpad all the time or people just don't do that?
The trackpad doesn’t actually click, so you’re good :cool:

TACD fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 27, 2020

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

oh gently caress how does it do it??
this is magic

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
By having the best haptic engine in the business.

I've owned both Magic Trackpads, and even when you only press on the corner, it feels like a real button. It isn't until you turn it off that you realize the thing has no movement or give at all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Really good haptic feedback.

If you wanna really weird experience try to click the trackpad when the computer is off after having gotten accustomed to it clicking for a week or two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Trackpad’s literally the best in the game

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which isn’t to say the old ones weren’t durable, this thread is full of people with 2013-era Mac laptops that click like new

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Data Graham posted:

Which isn’t to say the old ones weren’t durable, this thread is full of people with 2013-era Mac laptops that click like new

And ones that stop clicking when the battery swells up

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

512GB/8GB pro must not be selling well, Amazon has them for $100 off

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

They've had it for $100 off I think since it pretty much came out. I think it was just a combination of the holidays and competition doing discounts also, though typically $50 off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ever since Apple got rid of enrollment checks their edu store has been the backdoor “$100 bucks off all the laptops”

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
We're already at MacOS 11.1 , so there will definitely be yearly full number releases.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FCKGW posted:

Ever since Apple got rid of enrollment checks their edu store has been the backdoor “$100 bucks off all the laptops”

"In these Unprecedented Times™... "

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes all can run at once. No to the latter, because eight cores are eight cores even if half of them are slower than the others.

The macOS scheduler manages what runs where. There are APIs which let apps provide hints to the scheduler. For example, say you're writing an email client. You don't need high performance on the thread which periodically checks in on an email server to see if there's new messages, so you mark it as a background low priority thread. The kernel will usually keep it on E (efficiency) cores if you do this. On the other end of the spectrum there's something like "this thread is important because user clicked butan and wants results NOW", which will give that thread priority for P (performance) cores.

Apple's E cores are very high performance compared to what typically gets used as a LITTLE core on the Arm Holdings designed side of the fence, by the way.

AnandTech's A14 review posted:

I’ve included the efficiency cores in the chart here to showcase that they’re not weak at all. The performance showcased here roughly matches a 2.2GHz Cortex-A76 which is essentially 4x faster than the performance of any other mobile SoC today which relies on Cortex-A55 cores, all while using roughly the same amount of system power and having 3x the power efficiency.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

And ones that stop clicking when the battery swells up

I just this week figured out why my trackpad was clickin weird when I took off the bottom case to check the SSD

Uh oh

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FCKGW posted:

Ever since Apple got rid of enrollment checks their edu store

did they now

Do you still need a .edu email?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

did they now

Do you still need a .edu email?

No because it also applies to parents of students.

You just click the banner that says “Student? Pay $100 less here”

They did that early in the pandemic, around the time the 2020 Airs came out. Really kept winking and nodding at “These are $999, but only $899 on edu store” and put a prominent banner on the info page indicating so.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 28, 2020

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
Got the Pro M1 8GB 256 today and really like it. Wanted to get the 16GB, but it is not available for another month from anywhere it seems. I really like it, it is so smooth compared to my old i7 xps 13.

Hopefully I didnt shoot myself in the foot with the 8gb but the machine will never be used for photo or video rendering or games. Office, R studio, browsing and maybe some other analytics software.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Goon-approved USB-C Ethernet adapter?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Background: I have the Apple USB Ethernet adapter and a A to C adapter, but I want to free that up. I also have the Apple TB Ethernet adapter and TB2-3 adapter, but I’m trying to use the hub on my USB-C monitor which of course doesn’t support TB.

I only have two TB ports on my MacBook so I want to keep the other free for external drives.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 28, 2020

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bob Morales posted:

Background: I have the Apple USB Ethernet adapter and a A to C adapter, but I want to free that up. I also have the Apple TB Ethernet adapter and TB2-3 adapter, but I’m trying to use the hub on my USB-C adapter which of course doesn’t support TB.

I only have two TB ports on my MacBook so I want to keep the other free for external drives.

anker makes a hub with power delivery pass through and all the ports you need for like 40 bucks

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Meshka posted:

Got the Pro M1 8GB 256 today and really like it. Wanted to get the 16GB, but it is not available for another month from anywhere it seems. I really like it, it is so smooth compared to my old i7 xps 13.

Hopefully I didnt shoot myself in the foot with the 8gb but the machine will never be used for photo or video rendering or games. Office, R studio, browsing and maybe some other analytics software.

Oddly this is why I'm looking at a 16gb model at minimum, maybe more depending on how the prices shake out for the next gen.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rob Art benchmarks the M1 MBP against.. a Mac Pro 4,1 tricked out with a 12-core 3.3 GHz Xeon and an AMD RX 5700 XT..

https://barefeats.com/m1-macbook-pro-versus-2010-mac-pro.html

To no one's surprise, the M1 MBP beats the Mac Pro in six out of nine benchmarks.

Many of the benchmarks were running in Rosetta 2 on the M1 MBP.. (Don't know why he only identiies it as Rosetta, not Rosetta 2..)

Of the three benchmarks that the Mac Pro won, two of them were GPU based where an RX 5700 is certainly going to beat the equivalent of an RX 560 (the M1 GPU), and the third was an After Effects render which was likely RAM / CPU dependent.

Rob Art of course leaves out the RAM specs for both machines, but I'd be willing to bet the Mac Pro was likely amped up to 32 - 64 GB of RAM.

Don't know why he hasn't benched his vaunted 2019 Mac Pro against the M1 yet, unless it's some misplaced vanity where he doesn't want to because he solicited donations from readers of his site to help pay for the Pro..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 29, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That's a decade old Mac Pro and the comparisons are on arbitrary benchmarks.
The benchmark comparisons for the M1 kinda highlights the poor state of Mac technical reviews.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Forget context and meaning, if your headline is "M1 MacBook destroys Mac Pro!" you get tons of clicks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
How does Apple's shipping process work? They pulled the funds out of my account for my M1 16GB Mini but I ordered it days ago and it still shows an arrival date of January 15th. I feel like my past experience with Apple is they only charged your card when shipping was imminent.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I thought I saw earlier in the thread that someone figured out a way to get two external monitors working on an M1 MBP. Googling leads me nowhere. Is it possible?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Three Olives posted:

How does Apple's shipping process work? They pulled the funds out of my account for my M1 16GB Mini but I ordered it days ago and it still shows an arrival date of January 15th. I feel like my past experience with Apple is they only charged your card when shipping was imminent.

Yeah, that’s how it works. You’ll probably get a shipping notification soon and it will show up a couple days after.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Shroud posted:

I thought I saw earlier in the thread that someone figured out a way to get two external monitors working on an M1 MBP. Googling leads me nowhere. Is it possible?

Yes, but only with DisplayLink, which is basically a separate GPU that runs in software over USB. It's exactly as slow and bandwidth-starved as that sounds. If you just need to display static office documents, it's fine. Anything with significant motion looks awful.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Shroud posted:

Um, do you mean three? Is there some limitation with the M1 MBP that doesn't exist with the Intel MacBook line outside of external GPUs? Unless I am missing something you can put one monitor on a USB-C Displayport adaptor and use a USB-C dock with Displayport/HDMI to drive the second display, that is how I use my Air now with external dual monitors.

OK, actually googled it and WTF? That is bullshit. I could get if they needed to drop the internal display for dual external outputs but if the Mini can support dual external displays they should have put a workaround like only powering up the second port with the laptop lid closed if it is a 3 display limit.

Pretty sure they make video spanning adaptors still, they used to be more popular with video wall applications although a little pricey, one input gets presented to the video adaptor as a single 3840x1080 or a 3840x2160 display but is actually broken out into 2 or 4 video signals for independent displays. Pretty that feature is actually part of the current Displayport spec that Apple ignores.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 29, 2020

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Yes the m1 laptops can only run 1 external display, which doesn't make much sense because it can drive a 6k monitor which is actually more pixels than 2x 4k monitors. I think its because the m1 cannot run 2x 6k monitors and apple wanted to avoid the the headline "the new apple laptop can't run 2 apple monitors but will run 2x 4k samsung monitors". I have a feeling they will enable 2 monitors in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

M1s also can't seem to drive some ultrawide displays as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212027

Apple promises an update which means it's a software fix; I've seen some people say they got it to work just by using SwitchRes..