Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

h_double posted:

I like this idea. The thread might be a better fit in Games (more potential participation, e.g. people using something like Game Maker who might not venture into CoC) but it's good thinking to have it be frequent and casual enough, to get more people on board and not stressed out about the "stakes" of a particular game.

I'm also down for something like this however you might want to make it weekends only as some of us have 9-5 jobs and families so 24-48 hours might translate to 3-6 hours in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

h_double posted:

"Historical sports game set in a zoo"

"surgical, sports game combined with abstract game, set in space."

While this sounds interesting, feasibility becomes a problem.

More ontopic, I'm down for a game jam thread. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Jewel posted:

I could potentially make the thread on the weekend. I'll try and gather info and write it up during the week, and I'll decide on the weekend if I should post it. Feel free to mention ideas in this thread before the weekend, and I'll see about adding them to the OP (or tell me you have an amazing idea and would rather write one!)

It might be sensible to post the thread a couple of days early so people know about it, can talk about if they want to work together, get familiar with tools, etc., but don't post the actual theme until the start time.

And yeah, weekends are what I was thinking too, which would likely translate into 3-6 hours of work time for a lot of participants, and is still plenty of time for an interesting sketch/experiment.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

DrMelon posted:

While this sounds interesting, feasibility becomes a problem.

You're the team medic for some sort of xtreme space rugby, and have to control a swarm of nano-drones to patch up injured players (via some sort of abstract minigame) in realtime during an ongoing match, prioritizing based on severity of injury vs. "how critical is this player to current game situation?".

It might be an interesting exercise to churn out a dozen or so themes from that site (or a random game name generator) and sketch out a concrete idea for a game that would fit those parameters. "Historical sports game set in a zoo" could be about 18th century nobles playing proto-tennis on the lawns of a menagerie, where periodically wild animals would escape onto the playing field.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

DrMelon posted:

That game already exists and is called Purple Saturn Day.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
We could also let people vote on theme and game type as well. It would keep non devs interested in it enough to actually download a few and play. The more feedback I could possibly get from an actual player, the better.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

poemdexter posted:

We could also let people vote on theme and game type as well. It would keep non devs interested in it enough to actually download a few and play. The more feedback I could possibly get from an actual player, the better.

Agreed, though I'm not sure what'd be a good way to manage the vote so that it wouldn't be a logistical hassle to coordinate, but also wouldn't reveal the winning theme until the start of the contest. I don't think it's possible to have a poll on the Forums with hidden results, is it?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I might humbly suggest that voting is a bad idea. We tried it a few years ago in SA GameDev... whichever it was, II I think, and it just kind of exploded and took forever. Probably not a grand idea for a thing that's supposed to be much faster iterating even than SA GameDev is.

Just pick someone to run the thread, and over the course of a given theme, have people message them with suggestions for the next. Then they pick the next one however they see fit, and so it rolls on. If you get consistent votes for a given type, then you make that one the next one.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Voting using some third-party site could still work if people really fancied voting. But I tend to agree that voting is kind of silly on such things.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Just having an organizer pick something is probably best, especially it's going to be a reoccurring thing. A third party site has its own problems, like if somebody votes 500 times for DICK BUTT, unless you screen for unique IP which mostly just shifts the hassle someplace else.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I'm down but if it's voting please for the love of god just make it ludum dare rules, only those who submit can vote, it just means they're far more likely to not only have played one game and voted for that. There will probably only be a few entries anyway so everyone involved can easily review everyone else's stuff.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

How would graphics be handled? Will there be teams, as in graphics folk and dev folk?

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 12, 2012

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

syntaxrigger posted:

how would graphics be handled? will there be teams, as in graphics folk and dev folk?

From what I've seen in past SA game dev competitions, it's a wash. Half the teams are just devs using "dev art" and the other half have some dedicated artist.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
"Mournful, shooter combined with sports game, set underwater."

So they want Smashball where everyone is Bubble Man?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Yeah, when I mentioned the idea I wasn't really thinking of it as a serious "these must be complete games" compo, but more of a weekly thing to get people inspired to make a prototype or something. The nice thing about it would be that you could try to work with someone one week, and if your styles match well you can continue to work with that person. If not then don't the next week if you don't want to, etc.

Dude who was working on the OP: If you want I can write the section on tools for the job if you want. I have a fuckton of bookmarks full of tools and tutorials and all that.

edit: or the whole thing or whatever. I really do want to see this happen so I'm down for doing whatever it takes!

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2012

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

ambushsabre posted:

Yeah, when I mentioned the idea I wasn't really thinking of it as a serious "these must be complete games" compo, but more of a weekly thing to get people inspired to make a prototype or something. The nice thing about it would be that you could try to work with someone one week, and if your styles match well you can continue to work with that person. If not then don't the next week if you don't want to, etc.

Dude who was working on the OP: If you want I can write the section on tools for the job if you want. I have a fuckton of bookmarks full of tools and tutorials and all that.

edit: or the whole thing or whatever. I really do want to see this happen so I'm down for doing whatever it takes!

Kind of sounds like the Quest of Art! The MMORPG for Creative Types thread in Creative Convention.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Yes. I'm pretty excited about this now. I love me some prototypes.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I'd love to have a rolling competition, I'd suggest maybe making it week long just to accommodate people's varying schedules. Announce a theme on day N and anyone who has something to show on day N+7 gets listed in the OP with links to the games. Then announce a new theme in the same thread (so people only have to ever follow one thread), wash, rinse, and repeat.

Keep it low pressure, just kind of a 'get off your rear end and do something' kind of contest.

One idea that got kicked around during last year's GDC was a "junkyard wars gamedev" theme where you'd get a text phrase, three graphics assets, and a sound effect that all had to be incorporated into a game. Might me fun to try that as one of the weekly themes sometime.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

I'd love to have a rolling competition, I'd suggest maybe making it week long just to accommodate people's varying schedules. Announce a theme on day N and anyone who has something to show on day N+7 gets listed in the OP with links to the games. Then announce a new theme in the same thread (so people only have to ever follow one thread), wash, rinse, and repeat.

I really like this structure, as it will give people enough time to make something more substantial, as well as accommodate those with different schedules.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

One idea that got kicked around during last year's GDC was a "junkyard wars gamedev" theme where you'd get a text phrase, three graphics assets, and a sound effect that all had to be incorporated into a game. Might me fun to try that as one of the weekly themes sometime.

That idea of "junkyard wars gamedev" sounds VERY AWESOME!!! Hope we do at least one iteration with this type of theme.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
One thing to think of:

Since this is primarily being used to get people motivated to work on a project and learning, rotate systems. Instead of "Here is this weeks them" every week, you can have a basic theme one week and a junkyard theme the next, etc etc.

It will help people branch out and teach them how to think and brainstorm. All of that while encouraging people to try new techniques.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So is someone working on an OP or something? What do we need to get this ball rollin'?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

poemdexter posted:

So is someone working on an OP or something? What do we need to get this ball rollin'?

I think Jewel is working on one, but should he come in and report he can't for whatever reason I would be able to use my copious amount of free time to come up with one before this weekend as well. Maybe start brainstorming some ideas now?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ambushsabre posted:

I think Jewel is working on one, but should he come in and report he can't for whatever reason I would be able to use my copious amount of free time to come up with one before this weekend as well. Maybe start brainstorming some ideas now?

Turn based racing game.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Scaevolus posted:

the only winning move is not to play (you should get fired and lose the game if you miss two days of work in a row)

The clock should be advanced before telling the player he is running late.
Excellent ideas! Done and done! I had originally thought about having the player get fired for being late at all, but it seemed too harsh. On the other hand, skipping work to focus on evening-time activities adds a nice strategic element to the week. 2 days seems just right and makes it so that standing around naked and going to sleep at noon doesn't allow you to 'win'.

I also decided to make the slot machine even more of a skinner box. Initially it has very good odds, but every time you win the payoff rate diminishes.

Scaevolus posted:

Making the title image -> optimal tile grid calculation into a compile-time directive (:image-compress title-tiles title-grid "title.png" 8 8 ?) might be a good idea.

:enum bed alarm-clock ... could replace :const bed 0 :const alarm-clock 1 ...
I'll give those some thought. One thing I'm sure I want to add is a facility for making arrays of pointers, in particular to strings and functions. Currently I have to do something like:
code:
:data rs1 "I discuss work with the female."
:data rs2 "I discuss my hobbies."
:data rs3 "We discuss our favorite movies."
:data rs4 "I talk about my allergies."
:data red1 rs1 rs2 rs3 rs4
Which is pretty clumsy and clutters the namespace with nonces. Instead, I'll add a feature that works like this:
code:
:table red1
  "I discuss work with the female."
  "I discuss my hobbies."
  "We discuss our favorite movies."
  "I talk about my allergies."
  { "Anonymous functions can go here, too." type halt }
;
It's one of those things that I've done enough times to be certain it comes up frequently in practice.

poemdexter posted:

Turn based racing game.

I almost said "Turn based platformer! :v:", and then I remembered the Worms series.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

I almost said "Turn based platformer! :v:", and then I remembered the Worms series.
That's really more of a shooter though, the platforming was less important.

I remember a turn-based racing game from way back, probably early 80s, it was a "learning vectors" thing. Each turn you could do plus or minus one to each of your x and y velocities, and you had to get the car round the track as fast as you can without leaving the road. I could see that actually being pretty cool as a base onto which you could add other commands such as "fire a heat seeking rocket", "drop oil" and "deploy parachute".

Idea spoilers!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

poemdexter posted:

I might actually finish a game project for once. I'm using LÖVE (love2d.org) which is Lua + Box2D physics + some graphic stuff. It feels a lot like python and pygame without all of pygame's nice libraries. It's also missing a lot of Box2D functionality (BoundaryListener god drat it) but I'm working around it.

The game plays like an old 5 and half inch floppy game called cannons. Take turns firing at the other player trying to score hits. I wanted to keep it as basic as possible so I'd actually finish it.

I just started playing around with Love also. It's neat. My first Lua experience as well.

Got a question tho, and since some folks in the thread are familiar with Box2D, maybe someone will know.

I'm recreating the old "zombie infestation simulator" since it's complex enough to give you a good handle on the language/framework but not so complicated as to take forever.

So I am generating a bunch of rectangles as buildings, each of which I am giving a love.physics.body and a love.physics.shape. When I go to actually spawn my zombies, I am using building.shape:testPoint() to see if the spawn point is inside a building (don't want). I think it's because I don't understand how the shapes work. The wiki says that the x/y args to newRectangleShape are "the offset along the x/y axis". Offset from what? The Body associated with the shape?

here's my code to generate the buildings:
pre:
function generateBuildings()

for i=1, buildingCount do
		local w = ((buildingMaxSize - buildingMinSize) * math.random()) + 1
		local h = ((buildingMaxSize - buildingMinSize) * math.random()) + 1
		local x = (mapWidth - w) * math.random()
		local y = (mapHeight - h) * math.random()
		local body = love.physics.newBody(world, x, y, 0, 0)
		local shape = love.physics.newRectangleShape(body, 0, 0, w, h, 0)
		buildings[i] = { Body = body, Shape = shape, X = x, Y = y, W = w, H = h }
	end

end
and the function called to check each spawn point:
pre:
function pointInBuilding(x, y)
	for i=1, #buildings do
		if buildings[i].Shape:testPoint(x, y) then
			do return true end
		end
	end 
	return false

end
I know that pointInBuilding() is returning true SOME of the time, because I have an escape function that tries to spawn X number of times and aborts if it fails. Through some debug prints to screen, I have seen things take multiple times to spawn. It seems like my Shape isn't matching up with the actual Rectangle being drawn on screen. I can't figure out where the disconnect is, so I figured it was the x/y offset thing, since there's no explanation of it.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

poemdexter posted:

Turn based racing game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvEUnwG5T4

Like Turbo?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HaB posted:

Love questions...

The whitebox is where the shape is. The player sprite is where the body is. Below is absolutely vanilla code with no offsets.

code:
objects.players.one.body = love.physics.newBody(world, 200, 400, 0, 0)
objects.players.one.shape = love.physics.newRectangleShape(objects.players.one.body, 0, 0, 32, 32, 0)

-- Shape
love.graphics.polygon("fill", objects.players.one.shape:getPoints())

-- Body
love.graphics.draw(objects.players.one.sprite,objects.players.one.body:getX(),objects.players.one.body:getY(),0,4,4,0,0)
From this, you can see I not only had to move my player up to make him stand on the green grass, but I also had to move him slightly to the left to get him to line up with the shape. I also had to move the shape up so that the sprite and the shape occupy the same space. I did this by modifying the draw and modifying where I set the shape via offsets since shape handles the collisions.

code:
objects.players.one.shape = love.physics.newRectangleShape(objects.players.one.body, 0, -16, 32, 32, 0)

love.graphics.draw(objects.players.one.sprite,objects.players.one.body:getX(),objects.players.one.body:getY(),0,4,4,4,8)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

poemdexter posted:

shape :words:

So the center of the shape is the top left corner of the sprite? So assuming I offset by width/2, height/2 that should give me what I want, yes?

Edit: yes, that worked. Thanks for the clarification. :)

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Ok since I'm impatient and bored I threw together the thread. You can look at it here. I choose friday as the start / end date because that gives the weekend and friday night for people to work on their games, and it's also something to kind of look forward to at the end of the week. If you have any suggestions please let me know! I'll probably just put the week's theme at the top with :siren:'s all around it.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

ambushsabre posted:

Ok since I'm impatient and bored I threw together the thread. You can look at it here. I choose friday as the start / end date because that gives the weekend and friday night for people to work on their games, and it's also something to kind of look forward to at the end of the week. If you have any suggestions please let me know! I'll probably just put the week's theme at the top with :siren:'s all around it.

Nice post! I'd like to get in on this but I am not as seasoned as most of you. Is a week too short of an amount of time for those with less experience? I know once you go over a week you run the risk of drawing it out too long but I can imagine new people would like a chance to contribute without feeling like it's impossible with such a short amount of time. Maybe have a few tiers of contests going?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Nice post! I'd like to get in on this but I am not as seasoned as most of you. Is a week too short of an amount of time for those with less experience? I know once you go over a week you run the risk of drawing it out too long but I can imagine new people would like a chance to contribute without feeling like it's impossible with such a short amount of time. Maybe have a few tiers of contests going?

Nawh, that's the fun of the challenge! Don't stress yourself and don't feel bad if you don't finish, just try and get a game out. It helps work on your skills to problem solve stuff in a limited timeframe, and you work out neat tricks to do things faster. Plus it gets your creativity flowing.

ambushsabre posted:

I didn't write it up because I was asleep over here in Australia land :colbert:

It's fine though, you can make it I guess, I tend to forget about things too often. I'll make a nice banner for the top of the thread maybe if I get the time.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

CaptainPoopsock posted:

If you're determined a week is more then enough time to learn game maker or flixel if you put your mind to it. Maybe your first week will be a little rough but I by the second week you can probably be making games that are pretty awesome.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
It might be fun to team up for a game jam, but I'm not sure anyone would want to take the red pill and use my tools. I'd probably take a crack at it if/when my free time allows.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Internet Janitor posted:

It might be fun to team up for a game jam, but I'm not sure anyone would want to take the red pill and use my tools. I'd probably take a crack at it if/when my free time allows.

I'd be more than willing to use your tools...provided you're right there next to me explaining it as we go :p

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Jewel posted:

Nawh, that's the fun of the challenge! Don't stress yourself and don't feel bad if you don't finish, just try and get a game out. It helps work on your skills to problem solve stuff in a limited timeframe, and you work out neat tricks to do things faster. Plus it gets your creativity flowing.

Good point I guess. I'll give it a few tries. :) I don't have much interest in Flixel or Game Maker, but I do have familiarity with C++ so I am diving into SDL to see how it is even though I realize this probably isn't going to help me get a game stood up in any short amount of time. :( That's really most of my problem.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Good point I guess. I'll give it a few tries. :) I don't have much interest in Flixel or Game Maker, but I do have familiarity with C++ so I am diving into SDL to see how it is even though I realize this probably isn't going to help me get a game stood up in any short amount of time. :( That's really most of my problem.

That might be a little too much grunt work. Maybe look at Love2D (lua) or pygame (python) to get down to business much faster.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

HaB posted:

So the center of the shape is the top left corner of the sprite? So assuming I offset by width/2, height/2 that should give me what I want, yes?

Edit: yes, that worked. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Sorry i didn't answer you sooner, took the wife out to dinner, but yes that's what you should do. I also recommend using those draw methods as a debug option of sorts so you can see where your graphics are and where your shapes are so that you have collisions that make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

ambushsabre posted:

Jewel posted:

:words:

It's fine though, you can make it I guess, I tend to forget about things too often. I'll make a nice banner for the top of the thread maybe if I get the time.

I just hope someone throws a link to the thread once it is actually made for the scrubs, like myself, who do not have search.