Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
You should contact a lawyer for wrongful termination, HOWEVER, you shouldn't have been insubordinate. Nurses (even in strong unionized places) get fired (not disciplined) due to insubordination and there's not much that can be done about it. From what you've written, the patient didn't actually do anything to you. You just didn't want to take care of them because of their tattoos. Was there more to it than that? If you do pursue legal action, your employer is going to throw around insubordination and patient abandonment, and that does not look great for you. Part of being a nurse is taking care of people no matter what, even if they are lovely. Until they actually do something to you, there's no reason to refuse an assignment.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I was a union steward for a while and have seen a few people be forced to resign for insubordination, even when they were in the right. I've also had my own issues with management getting punishment-happy. The minute they throw out the word "insubordinate," it makes things way harder for the accused person, and almost always results in severe punishment or termination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
You can't abandon a patient you didn't take.

I've had two reformed former white supremacists. Tattoo removal is expensive.

Also lol is this your first time taking care of a lovely person? What bougie vip bubble did you work in?

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Koivunen posted:

Part of being a nurse is taking care of people no matter what, even if they are lovely.

Yeah, I mean this is kinda cheesy but it makes the point well: https://www.facebook.com/ari.mahler/posts/10218102032530177

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
The fact my patient contact consists of them being tubed the entire time is great, even better I see zero family. Don’t have to deal with any of that horse poo poo.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

B-Mac posted:

The fact my patient contact consists of them being tubed the entire time is great, even better I see zero family. Don’t have to deal with any of that horse poo poo.

Living the dream man.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.wthr.com/article/woman-recovers-after-being-declared-brain-dead

Oh Lort, let's muddy the waters more for non-medical people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

djfooboo posted:

https://www.wthr.com/article/woman-recovers-after-being-declared-brain-dead

Oh Lort, let's muddy the waters more for non-medical people.

Aaaaaah she was never declared brain dead!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I looked it up on a few other agencies. While not declared brain dead it still is an impressive story of luck and recovery. 15 minute downtime for an arrest, good thing she was (relatively) young.
e: also one of the articles quotes someone saying "she's only using 25% of her heart", which I don't really understand what they mean. Extensive infarct damage? Coronary vessel occlusion? aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 10, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I looked it up on a few other agencies. While not declared brain dead it still is an impressive story of luck and recovery. 15 minute downtime for an arrest, good thing she was (relatively) young.
e: also one of the articles quotes someone saying "she's only using 25% of her heart", which I don't really understand what they mean. Extensive infarct damage? Coronary vessel occlusion? aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

Going with a very low ejection fraction after her arrest. If they literally mean that her EF was 25, then I'm impressed it was that good after that long a downtime. The way the article is written makes everything seem a lot more "miraculous" than it probably was.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Praxis Prion posted:

I received a patient who is a nazi with giant swastikas tattooed on his chest. I refused the assignment when we discovered his swastikas and told the charge nurse that I didn't think I could effectively care for this patient. I was forced to do so anyway by her and the house supervisor against my will. I complained about it.

I just got a phone call today from my department's clinical lead and the HR lady and they fired me on the spot, accusing me of discrimination of a patient.

This is your problem right here. It's fair to have a distasteful patient and be like "I would prefer a different assignment if possible," but instead you belligerently tried to throw your weight around and refused to accept the assignment when it wasn't changed. Typically I see a problem patient being shuffled from nurse to nurse so no one has them for days in a row but everyone still needs to do their shifts managing that patient. If you have a particularly trying patient its fair to ask not to have them next shift too. But to refuse without even interacting with them just based on tattoos (which they may regret now or have been forced to get in prison to belong) is crazy. If you were from a religious or ethnic population who that patient might have been aggressive towards I feel like you'd have mentioned it in your post. That would have been a fair reason to ask for another assignment, if you said you felt unsafe because you were Jewish, etc. I think you hosed up by outright refusing it and then complaining after the fact. You said it was hearsay that you called him a prick but didn't clarify if you really did or not. If you didn't treat him like you'd treat any other patient then yeah, you were actively discriminating against him for his views and they'd have every right to call you on it. If you knew your managed hated you and they were looking for excuses to axe people, why try to start a dick measuring contest with her when you know her dick is both longer and thicker?

I've knowingly cared for more than a few convicted child molestors and rapists and likely unknowingly a lot more. No Nazis yet that I can remember. While it's definitely not something I see in a positive light, I feel like its unethical to withhold adequate care from them based on their past actions. Most of the convicted felons I've cared for were largely more polite and generally easier to take care of than my dementia crowd too.

I don't know enough about law to say whether you'll get anywhere with wrongful termination but I think you might have a case? In terms of eventually working at that health system again, it seems like a lawsuit is going to work very much against you. Right now you're the nurse who lost their job because they refused to care for a patient, you don't want to be the nurse who refused to care for a patient and then sued them. I feel like I'm right in saying no corporation you sue is going to hire you back.

B-Mac posted:

Sounds like an interesting story, would be a shame if a local news station caught wind of it.

Don't forget tattoos are identifying characteristics that can get you in a whole heap of trouble with HIPAA. If it went on the local news and some guy was like, "oh my friend Johnny has such and such tattoo on his him and I heard he was sick," and that person is able to put two and two together that Johnny was that patient in the ICU, you're turbofucked.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 11, 2018

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
edit: nevermind

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 10, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I just honestly surprised that most people are siding with management about terminating someone over a single incident with no previous disciplinary action. I’ve seen nurses do shittier things only to see them get shuffled to a different area. Makes me appreciate how good my managers were when I still worked in a hospital. Healthcare work is a funny beast.

Thanks for putting up with all this crap everyone!

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 10, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

B-Mac posted:

I just honestly surprised that most people are siding with management about terminating someone over a single incident with no previous disciplinary action. I’ve seen nurses do shittier things only to see them get shuffled to a different area. Makes me appreciate how good my managers were when I still worked in a hospital. Healthcare work is a funny beast.

Thanks for putting up with all this crap everyone!
I agree. I'm also surprised at the responses, aside from a few (Jibba and Koiv were more constructive than some), but I think it's more the tone than the content that I'm seeing as harsh, and well, we're a bunch of Goons.

Management is generally ALWAYS the enemy, but I think what people are saying is that often, even if you have a strong union, you have to play the game. Folks are also pointing out that we have an obligation to care for patients even if they're heinous people, including murderers, child molesters, or members of hate groups. It's an uncomfortable part of the job for sure, but we cannot withhold care because we disagree with a person's past or current words or actions. Everyone in the healthcare field is held to this standard because if we don't take care of these people who will?

I sure as hell wouldn't want to have to take care of a white supremacist patient, but I acknowledge that if I'm working on a floor that gets one I very well may be the best choice as a nurse for a variety of reasons, and that means I get the poo poo assignment for the day and I have to suck it up. I would likely express my discomfort and ask if I was the best choice, and if my charge or unit manager said, 'Yeah, we're giving him to you because you're a white guy and he's more likely to listen to you and not start poo poo," I'd accept that and deal with it. It's not ideal, and I wouldn't be comfortable with it because I'd be caring for a person that opposes values I hold very important, but I'd have to swaddle myself as best as possible in professionalism and just do my job.

For what it's worth Praxis, I admire your willingness to stand your ground and hold your values regarding the issue. It is surprising to me that you would be fired with no sort of warnings or anything like that. I agree with Jibba that you likely approached the issue too forcefully and inflexibly, however. It sucks but sometimes we all have to push through our own moral opposition and just do our job (as Roki and Fun Times are indicating). I hope you land on your feet, and speaking as someone that has worked in law for 10 years before moving into nursing, I would also specifically point out what Jibba said here:

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Right now you're the nurse who lost their job because they refused to care for a patient, you don't want to be the nurse who refused to care for a patient and then sued them. I feel like I'm right in saying no corporation you sue is going to hire you back.

If you're not already red flagged in their HR system as 'never hire,' filing a lawsuit against them would almost certainly flag you as such. If you intend to try to work for the same system in the future, I would do what you could to set up a meeting with your old HR or a manager who you are on good terms with that still works with the system to see if there's anything you can do to repair the relationship. It seems you acted out of conscience, which will help in explaining why you did what you did. Alternatively, just gtfo of your at will state and come work someplace where you'll have a union to back you up. Unions may not be perfect, but in my experience, staff in the hospitals with unions have a lot more leverage in fighting things like terminations vs staff in those without (we have both in my city).

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Thank you for the responses everyone. I've been sitting back to let the discussion unfold, as I'm still pretty emotional about the situation and I'm not looking to get into an argument over the merits of my actions. I am not making a defense of the choices I made. I was in the wrong, and I know that. I did not handle the situation with the tact and grace that would be expected of someone with my level of experience. I deserved discipline, but I feel that after 6 years in good standing, to be terminated over the telephone by a clinical lead with the HR lady listening in, without even giving me the opportunity to explain myself was pretty harsh.

I would like to clarify a few points of the discussion, however. Firstly, in 8 years as a nurse, I have of course taken care of plenty of less than savory individuals, including nazis, and I completely understand that that is part of the job. My stressors had been higher than normal at this point due to corporate gutting and downsizing of my department. Our ability to sign contracts guaranteeing hours had been taken away and I was being canceled more than 50% of my shifts which had been causing financial issues. My beloved manager of 6 years who stood up for her nurses was terminated, her position eliminated, and a stooge clinical lead installed in her place in interim. I had to switch to night shift just to try to get hours which hadn't helped plus left me chronically sleep deprived. I already knew this job was on the way out, and had been looking into applying for transfer. I know this is not related, but on that day, in that moment, something in me broke and I just couldn't deal with that imagery staring me in the face -- at first.

My refusal to assume care of the patient only extended as far as my argument with the charge nurse in that unit about it. She told me I couldn't refuse, and I would have to get another nurse to take care of the patient if that was the case. I asked the other nurses if one of them would switch with me, and none of them would. After this, and after I had a moment to calm down, I assumed care of him. He was not abandoned, and I provided him the same quality of care that I would any patient. The entire argument lasted all of a couple minutes.

As far as whether I called him a prick or not, honestly I don't remember. The situation was fairly heated and I had to take a moment to stop my hands from shaking. Venting about patients of course occurs at the desk, and under normal circumstances I would never poo poo talk a patient within earshot of other families, but it's possible I may have during the heat of the moment -- I don't know. If I did, it would have been completely inexcusable and I know that. I feel this detail is part of the story because of how pissed off the charge nurse was at me that she would report this back to my department. She yelled at me that I was being ridiculous in front of the other staff, and was a bit more suspiciously sympathetic towards the offending imagery than I would otherwise expect. Another nurse backed her up against me in argument, "Yeah, I used to date a guy with [offending imagery], I don't see what the big deal is." Barf. The charge nurse told me that she had contacted the house supervisor to come talk to me about the situation, but that person never showed up.

I'm not interested in bringing this to the media certainly. I've likely said too much as is, but I've already been quoted by multiple people. I will go ahead and edit my post, and if anyone who quoted me wants to do the same, that would be appreciated. I just hope I'm not red flagged by an entire healthcare system. I agree with those talking about why would an employer ever hire someone back who sued them. I think I'll give it a couple weeks to settle down, and contact one of the facility's HR departments to find out if I'm not rehireable system wide, or just with the department I previously worked for. Maybe there is some way I can make an appeal if so, and if not, well I'll just have to deal with it. In the meantime, I found work through a travel agency less than 24 hours after being fired, and was just offered a contract today, so I should be able to land on my feet here. I had gotten to the point that I hated that job, and I've learned it's best to just accept that fact and move on to something else when that happens, rather than stay on and continue to be miserable until you inevitably act out of line.

Praxis Prion fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 10, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Sorry to hear about some issues you were having and that health system sounds terrible to work for, sounds like a blessing in disguise. Glad you found work so quick after and hope travel nursing works out well for you.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
As far as getting hired within the system, it depends on if they share HR departments and your employee file. You’d certainly not be able to return to that hospital, but it sounds like you wouldn’t want to anyway.

A nurse I used to work with had 20-something years as an ICU nurse in the hospital. She had picked up a shift for ICU, but when she showed up she found they wanted to float her to the cardiac unit. She refused to go and argued about it with the supervisor. Someone else agreed to float so she wouldn’t have to. The next day she was suspended, and by the end of the week she was forced to resign for insubordination. She was blacklisted from the hospital system and ended up moving a few hours away to find work. This was all with union representation and filing a grievance. The hospital wouldn’t budge on their decision.

If you don’t feel like hiring a lawyer, you could try going through unemployment court for wrongful termination. However you’ve already got a job lined up so it probably wouldn’t be worth the few hundred bucks in back pay that you could possibly get from it.

Your management should have had a sit down meeting with you even if their decision was final. You screwed up, but they should have at least let you tell your side. I hope you enjoy your new job and they treat you better. Management sucks, and it always seems like the managers who actually care end up without a job.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

B-Mac posted:

I just honestly surprised that most people are siding with management about terminating someone over a single incident with no previous disciplinary action. I’ve seen nurses do shittier things only to see them get shuffled to a different area.

Honestly this is fair. Originally I was confused about the events and thought Praxis was being accused of insulting her patient directly to her patient's family, not having an argument with a charge nurse that could have been overheard. I've never seen anyone let go for so little and it does make me feel like they were trying to clean out her department. To date, the only time I've seen RNs fired is for threatening their coworkers with violence, stealing narcotics, or for not doing anything all day but charting like you had been (and this was only because there was video proof). Never something this small. My understanding is that float nurses, especially float nurses with experience, makes more than the typical RN on any given unit. Sounds like maybe it was money motivated if they'd already started downsizing the department and they saw a chance to save some bucks, which I've seen first hand with float pool before. Even in at-will states I think you can still sue for wrongful termination so they were probably using it as an excuse to cover their asses and drop a relatively expensive employee.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
I believe this to be the case. There was definitely a culture of corporate downsizing/restructuring wherein rather than just resort to firing all ~200 of us, they instead reduced our quality of work life significantly so that people would leave of their own volition -- which had been happening in droves. I can go into more details about how bad this got, but it's not really super relevant here. This being coupled with a clinical lead who had never really liked me very much for years due to personality differences, and I provided her a very convenient excuse to get rid of me, even if the real reason is different from what will be put in my file. I should have jumped ship much earlier like a lot of other nurses, but it's hard to leave a job you've had for 6 years and used to absolutely love -- even as you powerlessly watch it turn to garbage due to corporate short-sightedness by a patronizing administration that holds you and your fellow nurses in disdain, know that you are being taken advantage of, and begin to hate it.

Also, I'm a dude by the way :P

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Was it an HCA hospital? Because well... that wouldn't surprise me from them.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I've never seen anyone let go for so little

They were refusing to do their job. Management certainly didn’t handle it the right way but it’s not surprising they were fired.

I swear I’m not on management’s side but I’ve seen lots of good nurses get in trouble for doing things they felt were right at the time. Sticking up for yourself, or doing something where you feel you are standing up for whatever cause, is seen as insubordination and it’s unforgivable by management standards. In my experience, unless there’s immediate danger or a safety issue, it’s best to do whatever the manager says in the moment, and grieve it later.

The things you never expect to have to deal with when you decide you want to be a nurse...

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Koivunen posted:

They were refusing to do their job. Management certainly didn’t handle it the right way but it’s not surprising they were fired.

I swear I’m not on management’s side but I’ve seen lots of good nurses get in trouble for doing things they felt were right at the time. Sticking up for yourself, or doing something where you feel you are standing up for whatever cause, is seen as insubordination and it’s unforgivable by management standards.

And this is precisely why, the vast majority of the time, administration / management is the enemy. The could give not give fewer fucks about the house staff. Half the time they couldn't care less about the patients (at least they listen to patients sometimes). I guess they listen to providers about as much as patients, at least in my experience.

Management's standards for insubordination are often as little as 'they didn't do what we told them to do,' which is why this feels so off. It feels really petty and like the administration is just throwing a tantrum. Edit: this is where the 'unforgivable' part of what Koivunen said is most apparent - it's like a, 'How dare you question the authority of your managers?' As soon as someone pushes back against management/administration, they tend to view that employee as a threat to smooth operations / profits / efficiency / whatever corporate buzzword is in this week, and rather than treat the employee like a human being and see how the process could be improved (to the benefit, often, of all involved) like what would happen in a just culture, it's easier for managers to just fire someone and deal with the fallout. Edit 2: Actually listening to an employee is hard, protecting the interests of the hospital is much easier, and people are lazy, so those with power tend to take the route that's the least work for them, which, again, is why they're the enemy. There are a few good managers out there, and they often come from the trenches as ex floor nurses or the like, but as others have pointed out, they often get fired as well by trying to make things better for patients, employees, or (gasp) the hospital overall, because they make waves and make other managers who are comfy have to do more work.

I've had to stick my neck out a few times in the past in the legal field, and refuse or question orders from above coming from partners at my firm (as a non-lawyer), but it's always been with the knowledge that I was doing what was best for a client (management in every field will try to get away with dodgy poo poo that increases their bottom line). Usually, as soon as you throw down 'I was serving my client's best interests,' it insulates you from any major backlash, because that's what the lawyers / law firm is bound by law to do (and at least in the legal field you can get disbarred if you're clearly serving your own interests over a client's).

Unfortunately this also points out the biggest mistake made in the issue at hand - refusing to care for a patient because they're a white supremacist directly contravenes the 'doing what's best for the patient' standard we're held to as healthcare providers. That said - I think most management would have probably let it slide - it seems it was only momentary and it got worked out relatively quickly, aside from the fact that somehow the family got wind of it. A family that feels discriminated against Any report of discrimination could turn into a lot of unwanted attention for the hospital, so they likely decided to quash that possibility preemptively in the hope that the fired nurse wouldn't raise a ruckus (which most fired employees don't, for fear of further retribution, in the case of going to the press, or lack of means to retain a lawyer / pursue legal remedies, because lawyers are expensive in cases where things are so muddy).

Edit 4: VV Even more reason to think that the backlash against you was driven by the fact that you made waves and made someone else's job a little harder for a day (and as you said, it seems like they're trying to drive people out). So petty. Boo hoo he didn't do what we told him to do. :wtc:

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 12, 2018

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Further clarification: the patient did not have family. It was reported to me that I had made derogatory statements in front of other family remembers (read: general public). There were no family members present in the patient's room or in the hallway in front of the nurses desk during the event, but some may have been present in other rooms. It was never reported to me that there had been a complaint from other family members, just that is what the charge nurse had said to my department.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

As a supervisor I feel attacked by all of you, and will request bans for your insubordination in this thread.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Wtf you got going on in your life that made you forget how to play the game for a shift?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Also are you day shift?

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
My girlfriend just currently finished her third semester in an online accelerated nursing program through a good school here in Boston. She didn't know when she applied to this program, but the program itself is actually run by a third party through the school and not the university itself, if that makes sense. This was never actually told to her directly by the school, but she heard it only because on the first day of class for the semester, the teacher never showed. She then got an email later in the day from the teacher saying he was sorry about not showing but whatever the name of the company is that runs the program didn't give him the correct start date of class.

So, needless to say, the program has been a bit of a clustserfuck. She's had questions about the program itself, but emails or calls take weeks to return, if at all. The place they go to do their labs or whatever is on some satellite campus that is lovely and lacking resources. When she applied to the program, she was told she lacked a few pre-reqs to get accepted, so she took them at a community college and worked her rear end off to get good grades. She also has a ton of experience working as a CNA at a few hospitals in boston. She later learned that one of her friends who has zero nursing/CNA experience, coming from a background of graphic design, also didn't have some of the same pre-reqs required but somehow didn't need to take them and just took some course through the online program they offered and got accepted that way. Just overall, weird shady poo poo seems to be happening. I don't have more examples right now because I can't remember, but I can ask her for more to try and express how poorly run and disorganized this whole thing has been.

Despite all this, my girlfriend has worked very hard and has managed a 4.0 over her three semesters there, the only one in her cohort. She's worked several years as a CNA and also through the state with families taking care of special needs children. She's a member of the nursing honor society. She's been working as a nursing tutor through the school for the last two semesters. She's really smart and knows her poo poo and is extremely hard working. She has really good letters of recommendation, including from the head of the actual school's pediatrics program.

She filled out her nursing practicum application weeks ago. I guess how it works is you put down a preceptor's information and the school sends your info to that hospital as well as others and the hospital/preceptor chooses you to do your practicum there? She has a connection through a friend at one of the top children's hospitals in Boston for their pediatrics unit and put that down has her #1 choice to do her practicum. She's tried contacting the program asking about her placement, but they have told her they would contact her when they know and that "nothing is guaranteed".

The program starts in early January and she just got an email from a nurse(not even from the school) at the lowest ranked hospital in MA, saying that the nurse will be her preceptor and he hasn't received her DOB and some other basic info from the school yet, if she can please send it over. She is devastated. She contacted the nurse who she put down on her application as her preferred choice and that nurse told her that she hasn't heard anything at all from the school, so my girlfriend is pretty sure they never even sent her application to them.

Is there any course of action here or is she hosed? She is driving down to the school office tomorrow to try and talk to someone in person. I told her to see if she can find any information on who to complain to, if it comes to it, from the state or like some governing body but she says she can't find anything. Is there a person or department that handles complaints about universities on the government level she can turn to? I just don't see how this can be happening. From my understanding, if you're a good student, you get placed in a good hospital. She's literally the top student with tons of working experience, so why is she at the shittiest hospital? Maybe I'm being naive, which is possible since she's really my only source of info, but it seems like something had to get mishandled on the school's part, somewhere.

I don't know if this comes off as snobbish - her being devastated she got placed in to bottom-tier hospital rather than a top-tier that she was hoping for - but I can't express how hard she works and has been working toward this. It's been a goal of her's for a long while to become a nurse. She loves doing it, has put her whole being into doing well in school and this just seems like a pretty lovely payoff, so I'm hoping there is something that can be done or any advice to be given.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I don’t know how that school works in particular, and from the way you’ve described it, it sounds like they’re not the greatest and haven’t been entirely up front with you, but clinical placements, especially the final ones with preceptors depend on what hospitals have agreements with the school.

My nursing school was well regarded and we had choice placements with the local trauma hospital. I got what I wanted for placement, but many of my fellow classmates got placements they didn’t want - albeit in a good hospital. However, there were competing schools that had nursing students that screw things up, like disappearing, using phones when they’re not supposed to, taking pictures of patients(!), etc, that got their schools booted from the good hospitals and they ended up doing clinicals at hospitals and clinics and basically whoever would put up with their students.

Just because she had a nurse willing to precept her at her choice location, doesn’t mean the location is willing to accept a student from her school. Them’s the breaks, sorry about that.

Think about it though - if her school is as bad as you say (and I’ve not heard of an online nursing program that is any good, unless it’s an RN to BSN or something) and Boston churns out nursing students in droves, why would the top tier hospitals accept nursing students from bottom of the barrel schools when they have Harvard, Tufts, BC, BU, Northeastern, UMass, plus all the ADN programs at smaller schools like Salem state, etc?

No offense meant, really. If she’s as good as you say and can pass the NCLEX, just getting a job as a new grad nurse in Boston is going to be tough (I know from personal experience), so despite her distaste at the placement, make sure she excels there and maybe she can land a job there or elsewhere if she’s got connections.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
Her program is a hybrid program where the classroom stuff is online and the hands on stuff is at the university.

The hospital she applied to does have a relationship with the school and the school she is doing the program through is on your list of good schools :/

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Her program is a hybrid program where the classroom stuff is online and the hands on stuff is at the university.

The hospital she applied to does have a relationship with the school and the school she is doing the program through is on your list of good schools :/

Well, then, I’ll show myself out!

Maybe someone doesn’t like her who does the placements? Good luck!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I went to a nursing school at a small town where there's only like two big hospitals in 100 miles, so I didn't even realize you could choose where to do clinicals in other nursing schools. Not being able to do clinicals at the hospital of your choosing isn't really the end of the world tbqh. If she's doing good and has the connections to that ped unit, where she does her clinicals won't really matter as far as job offers are concerned.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I went to a respectable nursing university, our IP placement options were limited to the local health integration network with which the university had an agreement. Most students ranked 20 choices for various hospitals and units and an algorithm placed them. Some students including myself filled out specialty applications for more challenging units, and a panel selected from those applicants based on merit. My university coordinated the whole endeavour, at no point did I reach out to the hospital or pre-emptively select a preceptor. A lot of really good students decided to forego specialty applications in order to try their luck with the algorithm to varying degrees of success. Some people got their first choice (always labour and delivery lol), while others got stuck doing public health for some school board which isn't exactly rife with learning opportunities.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
In the long run, practicum doesn’t really matter. It will suck to not go where she wants, but part of nursing is not getting what you want right away, especially if the end goal is to work somewhere specialized like pediatrics.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
While I agree that IP placement isn't as significant as nursing students think it is in the thick of it, the hospital I did my practicum at has an expedited hiring process for its IP students because the admin figures they'll require less training.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

computer angel posted:

While I agree that IP placement isn't as significant as nursing students think it is in the thick of it, the hospital I did my practicum at has an expedited hiring process for its IP students because the admin figures they'll require less training.

This is definitely true but its pretty much luck of the draw if the department you're doing your practicum at is hiring around when you graduate. I feel like you do have a better chance of getting hired if you work on a boring/difficult floor for your practicum vs. one that seems fun and exciting.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im in the first month of a 12-month ABSN program and jesus fuvking hell

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im in the first month of a 12-month ABSN program and jesus fuvking hell

It's not easy but alcohol makes things better

just saying.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im in recovery and also just quit smoking

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Good and congrats, now your DOC is caffeine.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

well congrats! Quitting smoking/drinking cannot be easy, so I commend you on that. Nursing school will be a challenge but you've overcame two obstacles already so this is just another hurdle to jump over. You'll do just fine, just keep up on your studies and make time to relax, regardless of what you need to do to keep a good mental stability.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
When I was taking prereqs prior to my program, there was a lady who sat in front of me in microbiology who always reeked of cigarettes because she was at bars before class. I was upset when she showed up to the program orientation the following year because I thought I'd have to smell cigarette stink every day for two years, but after the first semester she never stunk again and she was way better with patients than the 19 year olds who hadn't learned to talk to people yet.