Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Back To The Future Trilogy dropped to $24.99 on Amazon. Plus it comes with a free hot wheels car of the time machine!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004TNKKY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Legend rules so hard just based on design alone. It's essentially a Legend of Zelda movie with Satan instead of Ganon.

Also it's one of the best devil designs put to film. The horns are just perfect!

Fantabulero
Apr 28, 2009

POP, POP!

Sporadic posted:

The Back To The Future Trilogy dropped to $24.99 on Amazon. Plus it comes with a free hot wheels car of the time machine!

I really wish they had the same deal on the Canadian site right now. :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fantabulero posted:

I really wish they had the same deal on the Canadian site right now. :(

Why don't you import it? We are the same region and I think your dollar is currently stronger than ours at the moment.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Vintersorg posted:

Legend rules so hard just based on design alone. It's essentially a Legend of Zelda movie with Satan instead of Ganon.
I remember reading a long time ago that Miyamoto said that Legend is where he got most of his ideas for Zelda.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Coen Brothers' adaptation of True Grit coming out Tuesday, and the Blu/DVD/Digital combo pack is only $18.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Grit-Blu-ray-Combo-Digital/dp/B003UESJMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307297579&sr=8-2

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Sporadic posted:

Why don't you import it? We are the same region and I think your dollar is currently stronger than ours at the moment.

I just checked, but with shipping and import fees, it would be $40. The Canadian dollar is better, but I'd probably only save a buck or two. I think I have seen this boxset for about $50-55 in stores; so, this isn't a must buy for me. It's too bad.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Target has the Once Upon A Time In The West bluray for $10 right now. They also had the new John Wayne blus for the same price. Not sure if I saw them in the ads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Coming in 2011:

-Scarface, Sep. 6
-Jurassic Park trilogy "late 2011"
-Winchester 73
-Shenandoah
-High Plains Drifter

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Shiroc posted:

Target has the Once Upon A Time In The West bluray for $10 right now. They also had the new John Wayne blus for the same price. Not sure if I saw them in the ads.

They also had A Man Called Horse for $10, which my dad was pretty excited about.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lobok posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5739

Coming in 2011:

-Winchester 73

I was kinda hoping for a Mann westerns box set, but I'll take it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

This version is out of stock but the normal edition is still available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00198X0UO

- edit Ben-Her details. From the picture, it almost looks like they split the movie over two discs and made it a three disc edition :(

Preorder just went up on Amazon. $44.29

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0013MYB9K

quote:

A variety of special features will be spread across the Blu-ray edition's two BD-50 discs, chief among them Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey, an all-new, feature length, high-definition documentary that chronicling Heston's life while filming Ben-Hur. It not only includes a wealth of behind-the-scenes content, it also includes rare home movie footage from the Heston family.

In an interview with Christianity Today, Fraser Heston, Charlton Heston's now 56-year-old son, says: "My earliest memory was of my dad coming home in his chariot driver's outfit. I think I assumed he was a professional charioteer. I remember him bringing sand from the Roman arena for my sandbox, and being told this was not just any sand. It was MGM sand!" He continues, "We recently produced a film about my dad called Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey. In it, we used a lot of 16mm footage that my mom took. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff of Dad driving the chariot around and me in it. It's pretty cool."

Other special features, most of which have been made available in previous releases of the film, include:
Ben-Hur, A Journey Through Pictures: An audiovisual re-creation assembled using stills, storyboards, sketches, music, dialogue and other archive materials
Ben Hur: The 1925 Silent Film
2005 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema
1994 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic
Original Screen Tests
Vintage Newsreel Gallery
Highlights from the 4/4/60 Academy Awards Ceremony
Theatrical Trailer Gallery

The Ultimate Collector's Edition also offers filmfans two collectible books in a three-tier collector's case. The first book, "Charlton Heston: The Ben-Hur Diaries" is the most intriguing. An exclusive look into the Oscar-winning actor's experience while making the award-winning film, this high-quality reproduction of Charlton Heston's personal and insightful diary documents events that occurred from January 1958 through April 1960; from a time before production of the film begain all the way through Heston's Oscar win. The book includes personal photos from the Heston family and some of Heston's own sketches.

The second exclusive book is a more traditional pack-in that features rare photographs, production art and reproductions from the original theatrical press book.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 6, 2011

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm really hoping the '25 Ben-Hur is remastered in HD, but I doubt it. They didn't bother including the (terrible) '25 Wizard of Oz in HD on the '39 film's set despite a 1080i master existing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

seriously, gently caress you, Warner

It's a good thing I don't care that much about Lolita or FMJ or else I'd be seriously pissed that two discs in my newly-purchased Kubrick box are already obsolete.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Shiroc posted:

So mad since I got this on Friday at Best Buy for $16.

bag of a bee
Jun 17, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

It's a good thing I don't care that much about Lolita or FMJ or else I'd be seriously pissed that two discs in my newly-purchased Kubrick box are already obsolete.

Well on the bright side Warner is probably so cheap they wont be new scans anyway, so FMJ with its 2007 2k scan and average VC-1 encode/bitrate with commentary by Kubrick's 2nd cousin.

Clean the film, scan until you're just getting grain, basic digital cleanup where needed to match intended/original look, and then do as transparent of an encode as blu-ray can handle. Something that never happens :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Does anyone know what this version of No Country for Old Men is?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/No-Country-for-Old-Men-Blu-ray/22117/

It looks like it's new, but blu-ray.com has nothing about it. Is it the same transfer as the collector's edition blu-ray?
I just want to see exactly what it is before I buy it for $9.99, which is awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

Does anyone know what this version of No Country for Old Men is?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/No-Country-for-Old-Men-Blu-ray/22117/

It looks like it's new, but blu-ray.com has nothing about it. Is it the same transfer as the collector's edition blu-ray?
I just want to see exactly what it is before I buy it for $9.99, which is awesome.

From your own link.

quote:

On May 3, all Miramax movies previously released on Blu-ray by Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will be re-released by Lionsgate Home Entertainment. This will reassure enthusiasts who feared that some or all of these titles could go out of print. List price is generally $19.99, except for Adventureland and No Country for Old Men (Collector's Edition), which are $24.99. The studio has confirmed to Blu-ray.com that in most cases, the discs themselves will be substantively identical, with the same special features.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6072

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Who cares about all those dumb movies, the most important release of the year is coming October 4th.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't know how they expect Blu-Ray to take over when they keep pulling poo poo like this. It's making me paranoid to buy anything. I was gonna pick up Eyes Wide Shut but I suppose I'll hold off now, and see if they announce anything about that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

hitze posted:

Who cares about all those dumb movies, the most important release of the year is coming October 4th.

Didn't this win a contest Warner was running to see which Blu-Ray to release next? Seems like a long wait.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

hitze posted:

Here's my chance to do my dance!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Didn't this win a contest Warner was running to see which Blu-Ray to release next? Seems like a long wait.

Nothing compared to when Miramax announced Good Will Hunting, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown would be coming "in 2008."

Or when Bad Boys II was hyped in the very first Blu-Ray hype videos.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hitze posted:

Now I am reminded of an interview with Wayne Knight where he mentioned how freakishly sculpted Jordan was, like how his calf muscles had muscles upon muscles.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I just picked up the Back to the Future set at Target for $19.99, with the fixed packaging. I'd assume this is storewide and not just the store I was at (Downtown Minneapolis). Awesome price if you haven't bought it yet.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So uh... I got True Grit on blu-ray today, and there seems to be a problem playing it on my PS3 (excuse the lovely cell-phone pictures):

There's no menu. I can still move around it and whatnot, but when I do, things like this happen:

Is this happening to anyone else, or do I just have a hosed up disc?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Man Who Would Be King blu-ray is pretty drat nice looking.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

ultraviolence123 posted:

I just picked up the Back to the Future set at Target for $19.99, with the fixed packaging. I'd assume this is storewide and not just the store I was at (Downtown Minneapolis). Awesome price if you haven't bought it yet.

hold on to your receipt. Supposedly, it's going to be $14.99 at target starting sunday.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

No one owns a PS3 and bought True Grit? :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GonSmithe posted:

I'm getting it as a gift within the next couple of weeks but I also don't have the latest firmware... Otherwise I would help a brutha out.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

I purchased True Grit yesterday here in Canada but have yet to pop it into the PS3. I shall report back later tonight and let you know sir.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

GonSmithe posted:

I can check it out for you in a few hours but I'm at work now :(

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Haha, thank you all. However, I figured it out. There's something REALLY weird with the blu-ray, if you spam R1 and skip through all the previews very quickly, it makes the disc load very oddly. Yesterday it did that to me, and just before it wouldn't load the main menu at all.

After I slowly skipped each trailer with R1, allowing them to play a little bit each fine, it loaded perfectly fine, menu and all.

Once again, thanks all for saying you'd help.

edit- On that note, True Grit is absolutely and completely god drat beautiful on blu-ray. Like, holy hell.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 8, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Lots of announcement news at The Digital Bits, but I figure this item will generate the most interest:

TDB posted:

20th Century Fox has announced a new Coen Brothers Collection Blu-ray set for release on 8/30 (SRP $69.99) that includes Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Raising Arizona and Fargo. Raising Arizona, Blood Simple and Miller's Crossing are new to Blu-ray and are also available individually same day (SRP $24.99 each).

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Look great. Blood Simple is a fantastic movie and hope they do a good job with the restoration.

Has there been any recent news on if/when an edited together, uncensored version of Kill Bill might come out? I want the movies so bad but I know as soon as I buy them they are going to announce a better version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Lots of announcement news at The Digital Bits, but I figure this item will generate the most interest:

That's weird. I thought StudioCanal had the rights to Raising Arizona?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

That's weird. I thought StudioCanal had the rights to Raising Arizona?

It's a Fox film. I'm surprised Barton Fink is left out since it's also owned by Fox.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What's the word on the blu-ray of The Stunt Man?

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I do believe we should be seeing screen caps from the LOTR Extended editions soon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.
oops, never mind

Chickenfat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 9, 2011

• Locked thread