Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For a quick-and-dirty fix couldn't you just firewall the KMS server off from these other networks? I assume they are based in separate offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Noticed something odd the other day. When I create users using ADUC and fill in the "Home Folder" field with \\server\\share\username, as soon as I click the apply button, the corresponding directory is automatically created at \\server\share\username. If I use powershell to create users using New-ADUser -HomeDirectory (I can never remember, are these parameters or properties?), the path gets set correctly, but no folder gets created. I also tried using Set-ADUser -HomeDirectory, and again, the path gets set on the object, but no folder is created? I've confirmed that the user context the script ran in had permissions to create the folder so it's not a permissions issue. Is this by design, or is there something screwy in my environment that I need to fix?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I used to use Excel LDAP Search to run some queries against a list of users and get a nice spreadsheet with their phone/address and other information. However this no longer works with the new/64 bit Excel. I tried to install 2010 in parallel but the plug-in fails to load anyway.

Is there another easy way to get this kind of information out of AD? I only have local admin rights, but obviously could run the queries through the tool in the past.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I used to use Excel LDAP Search to run some queries against a list of users and get a nice spreadsheet with their phone/address and other information. However this no longer works with the new/64 bit Excel. I tried to install 2010 in parallel but the plug-in fails to load anyway.

Is there another easy way to get this kind of information out of AD? I only have local admin rights, but obviously could run the queries through the tool in the past.

My friend, have you heard of our lord and saviour Powershell?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well this is a right ol' gently caress you:

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/02/01/microsoft-upping-enterprise-agreements.aspx

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just give us the inevitable and let us purchase Windows CALs and desktop OS software assurance on the Office 365 platform.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
That's probably what they're aiming for, shoving small businesses on to Office 365 and Azure

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If I create a Skype for Business meeting with anyone else, the "Start Recording" menu item does not appear for me, the meeting organizer, but it does for the customer. I put in a ticket with Microsoft, and they told me they reproduced this in their lab and it is by design. You've got to be loving kidding me, why would it not be the other way around if anything, or at least both parties?

Count yourself loving lucky if you're not on an EA.

They literally double-charged us $50k a month for 4 months because that's how long it took them to figure out how to get the EA licenses I bought to appear in the O365 portal.

Yeah, we pay $17/mo for each O365 E3 license now instead of $20, but it took years off my life dealing with them.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

PowerShell will do all of this, but why not just install 32 bit office? No real downsides unless you deal with enormous spreadsheets and more plugins will work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh,

You're still able to get a 3-year extension and if you have less than 500-users I can't imagine why you'd bother with On-Premises <$Whatever>.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have exactly 250 SA licenses. We do on prem because it's much cheaper than the cloud. We did a cost analysis. Everything is in a VM, there was no savings.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

We have exactly 250 SA licenses. We do on prem because it's much cheaper than the cloud. We did a cost analysis. Everything is in a VM, there was no savings.

SA?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Something Awful

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 2, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

Software Assurance.

SaaS = Something Assuring Awful Software

Edit: it's kinda true, too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

My friend, have you heard of our lord and saviour Powershell?
I have! I actually tried it for some AD work before and it turned out to be a huge pain in the rear end, but after digging around I got it to do what I need based on some example scripts. Thanks.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

PowerShell will do all of this, but why not just install 32 bit office? No real downsides unless you deal with enormous spreadsheets and more plugins will work.

What is it, 1995?

But seriously. First of all it's not CJ-supported, and I did install 32 bit Excel 2010, and it still didn't work. Maybe if I fully uninstalled the current version and did everything from scratch, but then I'd run into compatibility issues elsewhere and it's not really worth it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

Just give us the inevitable and let us purchase Windows CALs and desktop OS software assurance on the Office 365 platform.

They sorta already have this, at least for Enterprise Customers.

"The Enterprise Cloud Suite (ECS), now available as part of the Enterprise Enrollment, brings together Office 365 E3, Enterprise Mobility Suite, and Windows Software Assurance per User"

Personally some of the changes Microsoft has made with licensing have made life a lot easier for my organization. Our 2009 EA was pages and pages of confusing pro-rated sku's, and was generally a giant loving headache.

Licensing now is super easy. We have O365 E3 licenses, EMS, and Enterprise Bridge CAL's for users (we haven't moved to the ECS yet)

Servers are covered by Windows Server Datacenter licenses applied to our physical hosts. What used to be 8 pages of bullshit is now about 6 line items.

mobby_6kl posted:

What is it, 1995?

No, but it's still generally accepted best practice, and Microsoft recommended to only use Office 64bit if you have an extremely good reason to (Excel datasheets of massive sizes). Otherwise 32bit Office Apps are still recommended. Too many legacy plugins, code, and other bullshit. Just because something is more bits doesn't make it better.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 2, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I understand why Microsoft is moving the direction they are with licensing ($$$) but it can still be a pain in the rear end if your organization is cheap or just hesitant to move to the cloud or a subscription service, or has a bunch of offices with such poor internet they might as well be offline. My current company for example will be under the 500 seat license limit but above 250. We have a lot of remote offices in buttfuck nowhere working off of crappy satellite internet or DSL.

I would bet that the next version of Office is online only, which means we'll be scrambling to find 2013/16 licenses or looking at new vendor, god help me.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

skipdogg posted:

No, but it's still generally accepted best practice, and Microsoft recommended to only use Office 64bit if you have an extremely good reason to (Excel datasheets of massive sizes). Otherwise 32bit Office Apps are still recommended. Too many legacy plugins, code, and other bullshit. Just because something is more bits doesn't make it better.

Without crazies running 64Bit there would be no pressure on the Plugin/Code/Bullshit providers to update to support 64bit. That said I'm giving in and ripping out Office 64 and installing 32bit on my laptop at least until my next rebuild.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Hi friends, doing a little CJ work for my boss (I work for a company that runs Minecraft and LEGO Robotics classes for kids) before the summer classes starts and I had the idea to image Windows 8 and deploy it to every singe laptop we've got. Every laptop is the same exact identical model to the others and all come originally with Windows 8.

I'm thinking if I setup a Windows 8 image on one laptop with drivers, software, and the necessary instruction manuals in the Documents folder, I can deploy that image to every other laptop, right? I don't have to manually install the drivers on each one if they're the same as I understand it, unless there's some weird registry thing I'm missing. Anybody see any problems with this? It's only about ~50 computers. Originally I thought I was going to have problems with activation but aren't OEM keys installed right to the hardware for Win8?

E: Most likely using Clonezilla for this purpose too, btw.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, that'll work.

Here's what you want to do.

Get your reference laptop all built up the way you want. I'm assuming there's no domain bullshit or anything to deal with.

Install your OS, all the applications and everything else you need. I would then Sysprep the machine (generalize and shutdown). Then boot the machine from USB or whatever to get clonezilla going and take an image of the hard drive.

Now you have your reference image. Clone that image to the hard drive of all the same laptops you have. When the boot up they'll go through a OOBE experience and you should be all set. All the drivers and documents and programs will be there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Hi friends, doing a little CJ work for my boss (I work for a company that runs Minecraft and LEGO Robotics classes for kids) before the summer classes starts and I had the idea to image Windows 8 and deploy it to every singe laptop we've got. Every laptop is the same exact identical model to the others and all come originally with Windows 8.

I'm thinking if I setup a Windows 8 image on one laptop with drivers, software, and the necessary instruction manuals in the Documents folder, I can deploy that image to every other laptop, right? I don't have to manually install the drivers on each one if they're the same as I understand it, unless there's some weird registry thing I'm missing. Anybody see any problems with this? It's only about ~50 computers. Originally I thought I was going to have problems with activation but aren't OEM keys installed right to the hardware for Win8?

E: Most likely using Clonezilla for this purpose too, btw.

What Skipdogg mentioned is probably the simplest, easiest method of doing this. Unless this is more than a one time situation though. If you plan on having to do this multiple times or with different hardware models or software preinstalled you'll want to look into Windows Deployment Services and the Deployment Toolkit or Fog if you're more comfortable with Linux.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How does that work with stuff that needs license keys/internet activation though? Office and ESET are two programs we use where we presently have to go in after the fact and finalize setup, for example.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With Office you use a KMS server or shared computer activation with 365 ProPlus, for AV you use a centrally managed service that allows you to deploy the installer with the location of the management server already baked into it.

Granted you have the license key problem if you're doing this on a small scale or for one-off deployments, but it's a solve problem for the larger markets.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sheep posted:

How does that work with stuff that needs license keys/internet activation though? Office and ESET are two programs we use where we presently have to go in after the fact and finalize setup, for example.

Depends on the environment.

In a normal enterprise domain setting Office is activated by KMS, and ESET probably talks to a central console to get it's information.

We use O365 for Office licensing, we install an inactivated copy that gets activated when the user signs into their O365 account.

You wouldn't want to put either of those in your base image. Smaller shops that don't have KMS and the like setup would have to install and activate everything manually. Or at least script it anyway. Before I setup MDT I had a big post image script that did all sorts of things for my environment.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah with ESET you can point it at the server right from the console on push install. If you're AD deploying I believe there's a way to do that too.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Derp yeah I forgot about KMS for Office.

I can see us moving to O365 eventually but considering I only just convinced finance to let us get on an open license for Office 2016 in December, I'll pick my battles when I know I can win them :v:

Thanks Ants posted:

Granted you have the license key problem if you're doing this on a small scale or for one-off deployments, but it's a solve problem for the larger markets.

Yeah we are quite small (250 users, 1-2 deployments/replacements/whatever a week) so this is mostly just me wanting to automate dumb repetitive tasks than any sort of "this is actually costing us an appreciable amount of time" sort of issue.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 3, 2016

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

skipdogg posted:

Smaller shops that don't have KMS and the like setup would have to install and activate everything manually. Or at least script it anyway. Before I setup MDT I had a big post image script that did all sorts of things for my environment.

MAK keys work just fine in Office and can auto activate with no problem. The key just gets baked into the office install msp.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sheep posted:

Derp yeah I forgot about KMS for Office.

I can see us moving to O365 eventually but considering I only just convinced finance to let us get on an open license for Office 2016 in December, I'll pick my battles when I know I can win them :v:

Yeah we are quite small (250 users, 1-2 deployments/replacements/whatever a week) so this is mostly just me wanting to automate dumb repetitive tasks than any sort of "this is actually costing us an appreciable amount of time" sort of issue.

We have 250 or so users too and we've been using KMS for Office for years. Works great.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Has anyone ever installed MVC 4 non-interactively?
I am trying to do it inside a chef coookbook by calling WebPI with a batch file with this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\webpicmd.exe" /Install /Products:"MVC4Vs2010_Loc" /AcceptEULA /SQLPassword:NotUsed4321

First annoying thing is it tries to install SQL Express which I will never ever need because the application I am dealing with uses MySQL. If there is an alternate way to install MVC 4 via msi or exe, something I can call unattended I would like to know.
That ends up giving me "Install completed (Failure): 'SQL Server Express 2008 R2 Service Pack 2'"

Originally I was using the WebPI chef cookbook but it does not let you pass /SQLPassword. I tried this on command line and it seemed to go through, so I don't know if I am missing something. At one point I installed via the Web PI GUI app and it kept popping up messages about a directory not existing or permissions but eventually went through, but I have no idea what it was talking about because it didn't give an actual path. If its just something I have to create or a permission somewhere I can easily do that in chef.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I gave up on Web PI from my last post because I was fed up with it. Was going to install nuget but the chef recipe for that required chocolatey anyway so I figured I would just try chocolatey to install MVC 4. That worked without a hitch.

Now I can move on to the rest of my project automating updating fonts in chef, updating config files, build images for the other server types because their requirements aren't able to be automated configuration wise. Chef really does a lot of stuff on windows, but its been frustrating because a lot of things aren't designed to be done without a human clicking things.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Microsoft aint cheap, lordy

That's for one of our subsidiaries.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nope, not at all. I wish I could share ours. It's 7 figures a year.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to build a series of MDT task sequences to build a dev version of our sccm environment. It's annoying, but I seem to be slogging through. But I'm stuck with the actual install of SCCM itself. I need it to run as the Local System account rather than local administrator, but I'm not sure how to do that. I've got the install files to be copied to the machine, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've got an application with aworking directory of C:\ConfigMgr2012SP2 and a script that uses psexec to run setup.exe as System, but that seems to have failed. Should I just use run command line to execute my install script in C:\ConfigMgr2012SP2? Is there a way to run as system without first copying content locally? Am I thinking about this all the wrong way?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SharePoint question:
I don't know anything about SharePoint. If I have an on-prem sharepoint environment with a bunch of files, how can I tell how much space those files would take if moved back to a traditional file share?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to build a series of MDT task sequences to build a dev version of our sccm environment. It's annoying, but I seem to be slogging through. But I'm stuck with the actual install of SCCM itself. I need it to run as the Local System account rather than local administrator, but I'm not sure how to do that. I've got the install files to be copied to the machine, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I've got an application with aworking directory of C:\ConfigMgr2012SP2 and a script that uses psexec to run setup.exe as System, but that seems to have failed. Should I just use run command line to execute my install script in C:\ConfigMgr2012SP2? Is there a way to run as system without first copying content locally? Am I thinking about this all the wrong way?

I think you'll want to take a look at Johan Ardwidmark's Hydration Kit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dox posted:

I think you'll want to take a look at Johan Ardwidmark's Hydration Kit.

That's actually what I'm basing my work off of, but the environment he sets up is far more naive than what I'm trying to build.

OK, I think I got over that hurdle. I used a command to xcopy the files locally, then I modidied the wsf script from Johan so it executes the setup.exe command with psexec and from the loval system.
code:
sCmd = "psexec \\" & oEnvironment.item("OSDComputerName") & " /accepteula -s " & sFile & " /Script C:\ConfigMgr2012SP2\ConfigMgr2012Unattend.ini /NoUserInput"

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 4, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is it in any way possible to join a Windows 2000 workstation to a Server 2012 R2 domain? I can't find an answer to this.

Pretty please don't turn this into "lol why the gently caress do you have a 2000 system in production" because while I can't post details, there's a very real reason why I do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/understanding-active-directory-functional-levels%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

quote:

However, functional levels do not affect which operating systems you can run on workstations and member servers that are joined to the domain or forest.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I know about functional levels, that's not where I'm suspecting an issue preventing this, but I know there might be problems to do with supported authentication mechanisms, crypto things like hashes, ciphers, but I'm honestly not sure so I'm hoping someone here might have been in the same boat at one point.

e: like, in your very link, it says that 2000 isn't supported on a 2012 R2 DC, but I'm just not sure why. I wonder if I could force support, like LM is disabled by default in 2012 R2 but I could forcibly reenable it for this... (as stupid as that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know about functional levels, that's not where I'm suspecting an issue preventing this, but I know there might be problems to do with supported authentication mechanisms, crypto things like hashes, ciphers, but I'm honestly not sure so I'm hoping someone here might have been in the same boat at one point.

I have domain joined 2000 boxes. All DCs and functional level are 2012 (non-R2). Have not hit any issues.