Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Well at least we're moving to Washington state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I mean, any dog that can keep up would be good for your fiancee while jogging. People who tend to assault women prefer to choose targets that won't put up any fight or fuss. Even if she has a chihuahua that can only YAPYAPYAP in a rough situation, it's a huge deterrent to have any kind of dog because they want targets who are guaranteed to be easy and quick to mug or assault, and someone with a loud dog that may bite doesn't tick those boxes.

Same with home security. If you have an alarm system and/or a dog that barks when people come to the door, chances are the would-be burglars will select another place because they often do extensive casing and again, look for easy targets.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, I've actually discussed this with a former cop who now purely does security consulting work, and he said the exact same thing Serella just did. Simply having a dog is going to deter most random/opportunistic crime, and protection dogs tend to cause more trouble than they prevent. Any dog is going to need ongoing training to keep it sharp, too, so wanting someone else to train it and then expecting to just take over and have a safe but effective PPD is unrealistic. It's a big commitment.

And speaking from personal experience as a young woman who lived alone in a high-crime neighborhood, it's true that any dog is a deterrent. I lived in a small building with 4 apartments and on several occasions the two without dogs got broken into while mine and my neighbor's with a dog were left alone. I also used to work nights and would routinely walk my dog at all hours of the night and never once got hassled. The dog I had at the time was a medium-sized heeler too, not even a particularly intimidating looking dog.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Its Miller Time posted:

I'm going to xpost this once or twice, hopefully that's okay.

My fiancee and I are buying a home in a very nice neighborhood, but one that is in relative proximity to some higher crime areas. We have long wanted to get another dog that is focused on home and self protection. I travel a decent amount and my fiancee is often out jogging or home alone for several nights in a row. She has always had an affinity for European Dobermans. We have a fairly expansive budget, we'd be willing to spend between $5-20K. We're on the west coast, we have homes in Los Angeles and Seattle.

It seems our 2 major options are buying a puppy or buying an older (2-3 year) one that is already completely trained. One website I looked at, protectiondogsales.com, wants $3-4K for the puppy and another $2K a month for training with a minimum of 6 months training, which adds up to $15K+ very quickly. They also have fully trained adult dogs that are 2-4 years old that can cost anywhere from $13-30K.

We have no interest in competing in Schutzhund, nor do we need a dog that can detect bombs or is police/military ready. While apparently Dobermans live for a fairly long time (10-13 years), I think I would much prefer getting the dog at an early age and helping shape our relationship with it and it's training that buying a fully trained adult dog that's better suited for competitive Schutzhund or guarding the president.

I don't think we want to personally train the dog, our preference would be for someone else to conduct the majority of the training and then train us on how to take over. After having a relatively poorly trained Golden Retriever it would be nice to be able to issue commands like "sit and stay" and feel comfortable leaving the dog outside of a grocery store for 10 or 20 minutes. Or not roll over on his belly when strangers enter our home.

Buy a better house.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

just get a gun.

and shoot yourself, you loving pussy.

So how do you get married to someone in australia because hi

Its Miller Time posted:

I'm going to xpost this once or twice, hopefully that's okay.

My fiancee and I are buying a home in a very nice neighborhood, but one that is in relative proximity to some higher crime areas. We have long wanted to get another dog that is focused on home and self protection. I travel a decent amount and my fiancee is often out jogging or home alone for several nights in a row. She has always had an affinity for European Dobermans. We have a fairly expansive budget, we'd be willing to spend between $5-20K. We're on the west coast, we have homes in Los Angeles and Seattle.

It seems our 2 major options are buying a puppy or buying an older (2-3 year) one that is already completely trained. One website I looked at, protectiondogsales.com, wants $3-4K for the puppy and another $2K a month for training with a minimum of 6 months training, which adds up to $15K+ very quickly. They also have fully trained adult dogs that are 2-4 years old that can cost anywhere from $13-30K.

We have no interest in competing in Schutzhund, nor do we need a dog that can detect bombs or is police/military ready. While apparently Dobermans live for a fairly long time (10-13 years), I think I would much prefer getting the dog at an early age and helping shape our relationship with it and it's training that buying a fully trained adult dog that's better suited for competitive Schutzhund or guarding the president.

I don't think we want to personally train the dog, our preference would be for someone else to conduct the majority of the training and then train us on how to take over. After having a relatively poorly trained Golden Retriever it would be nice to be able to issue commands like "sit and stay" and feel comfortable leaving the dog outside of a grocery store for 10 or 20 minutes. Or not roll over on his belly when strangers enter our home.

If you have homes in Los Angeles and Seattle and it sounds like you're fairly upscale and you feel like you need security, consider hiring a security guard. Lots of them can just hang out near the property and watch poo poo rather than standing stock-still at your front door or whatever. Though to be perfectly honest unless you're dealing real estate in the 7 figures you don't need that either.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Ok, let me soften the request a little. I want to buy a Doberman puppy and put it through some basic/intermediate training with a loose focus on self defense. I'm not looking to train it to attack or whatever, just bark a lot if someone breaks into the home or gets aggressively close to my wife when she's walking him/her outside. I've got the gun side of things well handled.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
if you aren't prepared to do a lot of training yourself, you aren't going to be able to have even a ~loose~ focus on self defense. protection takes an absolute fuckload of work and there really isn't such thing as a causal protection dog. find yourself a nice dobie from a good breeder, teach it to bark on command, and forget about the rest of the poo poo. it's a big, intimidating looking dog, it's presence alone will be enough to keep people from harassing your wife. i honestly have never been harassed by a man since my GSD hit puberty even when i lived in the barrio. in all likelihood people will see your wife with a doberman and cross the street even if it's the nicest, cuddliest dog in the goddamn world

one thing to keep in mind with dobies though is that 50% of them drop dead out of nowhere before age 8 because of the prevalence of Dilated cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. going to a reputable breeder will not prevent this, these issues effect 75% of all dobermans (euro dobies included) and as of now no breeding programs focused on eliminating or reducing DM and heart failure have succeeded. they're super cool dogs but their health problems are super horrifying and i say that as a gsd person

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 1, 2016

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
Hey I want to teach my dog to find my toddler - basically have the dog go find her and lead me to her.
Any suggestions on how to go about it?

I've started by going into the yard, giving the toddler a meatball, having the dog sit and stay and the toddler run and hide, then releasing the dog and when he finds her, she gives him the meatball, he runs back to me and I reward him too. My plan is when the behavior is pretty reliable and enthusiastic, add a cue and fade the toddler dispensed treat. So far this is semi successful but both toddler and dog have pretty short attention spans, so it's going slowly, because we can only do 3 or 4 repetitions before one of the participants looses interest. Also unsurprisingly the toddler doesn't have the best timing, is slow to find a hiding spot and often doesn't want to hand over the meatball (she wants to get him to sit or lay down before she rewards him).

I was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions on how to train this or ways I can tweak my current plan? I don't really have another adult I can regularly call on for hiding duties.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Obviously I'm no expert, but why not just get a dog that is instinctively wary of strangers, if all you want is one who will bark at intruders? You don't need "protection" training for that.

My update: the dog continues to be lazy, fluffy, and aloof, and is pretty much a cat. She hasn't warmed up to kids much: at the park today, some little girls approached *very* nicely, and held their hands out for her to sniff, and gave her treats (that I handed to them) and she happily took the treats but turned immediately snappish when one of them tried (again, calmly and gently) to pet her. All the advice I'm reading is stuff like "don't let kids be mean to the dog!" which, well, loving duh. She's just so suspicious of even the nicest, calmest kids. And even though my 8yo has been doing everything right (not approaching her, not staring at her, not grabbing at her, talking to her in a calm and gentle voice, giving her treats frequently, etc) she won't let him pet her even if she's seemingly calmly sitting right next to him. Is this just going to take a while? Or is it possible she's never going to put up with kids petting her?

Slow Loris
Nov 7, 2005

Please sir, may I have some more?

Its Miller Time posted:

Well at least we're moving to Washington state.

Please don't.

minema
May 31, 2011

Its Miller Time posted:

Ok, let me soften the request a little. I want to buy a Doberman puppy and put it through some basic/intermediate training with a loose focus on self defense. I'm not looking to train it to attack or whatever, just bark a lot if someone breaks into the home or gets aggressively close to my wife when she's walking him/her outside. I've got the gun side of things well handled.

I have an adult shelter dog who is the goofiest silliest dog ever and people still cross the road to avoid us because he is a large breed with GSD in him so he looks scary! Honestly I feel much safer with him because he is such a good deterrent. He also barks when someone's at the door or walking slowly past the house and we are actually trying to train him out of it! I doubt anybody is going to rob us considering as soon as they come up the gate a GSD type dog starts furiously barking and throwing himself against the door.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that spending actual time and money on getting a serious protection dog is probably overkill when all you need is... a dog who barks when someone is at the door (which would be quite easy to train I think) and looks vaguely intimidating on walks.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

pookel posted:

Obviously I'm no expert, but why not just get a dog that is instinctively wary of strangers, if all you want is one who will bark at intruders? You don't need "protection" training for that.

My update: the dog continues to be lazy, fluffy, and aloof, and is pretty much a cat. She hasn't warmed up to kids much: at the park today, some little girls approached *very* nicely, and held their hands out for her to sniff, and gave her treats (that I handed to them) and she happily took the treats but turned immediately snappish when one of them tried (again, calmly and gently) to pet her. All the advice I'm reading is stuff like "don't let kids be mean to the dog!" which, well, loving duh. She's just so suspicious of even the nicest, calmest kids. And even though my 8yo has been doing everything right (not approaching her, not staring at her, not grabbing at her, talking to her in a calm and gentle voice, giving her treats frequently, etc) she won't let him pet her even if she's seemingly calmly sitting right next to him. Is this just going to take a while? Or is it possible she's never going to put up with kids petting her?

I'm pretty sure on multiple occasions people have encouraged you to limit interactions between children and your dog. Your dog is afraid of children, your dog doesn't like children, and if you keep pressing the issue, you are going to end up with a dog with a bite history on your hands. Stop forcing interaction, stop encouraging it, and just learn that your dog DOESN'T LIKE KIDS and that its enough for the dog to tolerate a kid around. Teach your dog to be fine with just having kids nearby.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Echoing the other posters in this thread, all you need is for the dog to raise an alarm and be a deterrent. Most criminals want to get in and out undetected so even a 5 lb chihuahua yapping at the door will scare them off since it'll draw attention. Same thing with walking with a dog, any dog, since it could bark/bite and they'll probably move on to an easier target. Just get a decent sized dog with a loud bark, it doesn't actually have to do anything but exist and make noise.

If someone does try to attack your fiancee despite the dog she's probably better off with a taser or pepper spray or a gun anyway.

pseudomonas posted:

Hey I want to teach my dog to find my toddler - basically have the dog go find her and lead me to her.

Or just don't lose track of your kid? Why do you need your dog to go find your child for you?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Or just don't lose track of your kid? Why do you need your dog to go find your child for you?

It sounds like just a cute trick. Not like, literally I lost my kid... My last dog learned what "where's /name/" meant, and it was just a fun cute thing. Kinda trying to teach my current dog "Go get /my boyfriend's name/" because it's fun to make her go running into his room. Current dog is not a born pleaser though, so not as easy to teach as my last dog who was a retriever.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

wtftastic posted:

I'm pretty sure on multiple occasions people have encouraged you to limit interactions between children and your dog. Your dog is afraid of children, your dog doesn't like children, and if you keep pressing the issue, you are going to end up with a dog with a bite history on your hands. Stop forcing interaction, stop encouraging it, and just learn that your dog DOESN'T LIKE KIDS and that its enough for the dog to tolerate a kid around. Teach your dog to be fine with just having kids nearby.

who could have predicted that the dog she was warned was distrustful around children continues to be distrustful around children

oh well better keep encouraging strangers kids to feed and pet my snappy rat whats the worst that could happen

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

wtftastic posted:

You're reading a lot of things I haven't written. My dog isn't afraid of kids. She knows that my 11-year-old gets home from school at 3:15, and she jumps on him and licks his face and goes for a walk with him and then cuddles with him. When the 8-year-old gets home at 4:00, she jumps on him and licks him (and he doesn't pet her because he worries she'll growl). She doesn't bark at the door at these times like she usually would, because she's expecting them. At night when I tuck the kids into bed, she comes and jumps up onto their beds and sometimes licks their faces and cuddles up next to them. One of her favorite things (aside from sitting on me) is getting belly rubs from the 11-year-old.

I'm not an idiot. If she were a kid-fearful dog who was resisting, I would be limiting interaction. She isn't. She's fine with kids being nearby and polite. She takes treats nicely from their hands, and she doesn't yawn or stare or show teeth or growl at them - unless a younger kid attempts to pet her. That's the thing that is puzzling me. She doesn't seem to have a problem with anything except the actual petting. She'll go to the 8-year-old on her own and lie down next to him, and lick his hands or face or legs, and rub her head against him, and in general act like he is an okay person she is fond of, unless he tries to pet her, and then she's all "NOPE NOPE NOPE." I find this confusing.

ETA: I don't think I was clear - I didn't encourage the kids at the park to get near her. She is small and cute and fluffy, and a herd of little girls approached me very insistently asking to pet her. I explained that she didn't like to be petted by kids, but said they could let her sniff their hands and they could each hold out a little treat to her. All of this went fine, and then one of them reached over to try to pet her and she got snappish and I told the kids to back off.

pookel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 2, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
my dog isnt afraid of kids

i mean she snaps at them when they try to touch her but she isn't afraid of them or anything, she loves kids

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

my dog isnt afraid of kids

i mean she snaps at them when they try to touch her but she isn't afraid of them or anything, she loves kids

Yeah I mean everyone knows that when dogs jump on someone and lick their face and cuddle up next to them, it's a sign of fear

oh wait

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Just gonna live this here... it has useful pictures too!

"I suppose that one aspect of the data that struck me as interesting comes from the fact that the photographs that I used were obviously posts by individuals who wanted to show how much they cared for and shared a bond with their pet. This means that the people who were doing the Internet posting probably chose photos in which they felt that both the person and the dog looked happiest. Nonetheless, around 82% of the photographs show unhappy dogs receiving hugs from their owners or children. This seems consistent with other research which suggests that people, especially children, seem to have difficulty reading signs of stress and anxiety based upon their dogs' facial expressions. (Click here for more about that.) Much more relevant for the current question is the fact that this data clearly shows that while a few dogs may like being hugged, more than four out of five dogs find this human expression of affection to be unpleasant and/or anxiety arousing."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201604/the-data-says-dont-hug-the-dog

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

pookel posted:

Yeah I mean everyone knows that when dogs jump on someone and lick their face and cuddle up next to them, it's a sign of fear

oh wait

so do you think your dog is trying to bite kids when they touch her because it's having such an awesome time or what

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

pookel posted:

oh wait

Well okay let me put it this way, maybe when someone's at a party, they might be fine with chatting with people, making friends and all that. But they might not be happy when a stranger tries to suddenly rub their face.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

so do you think your dog is trying to bite kids when they touch her because it's having such an awesome time or what
No, I think she has a specific aversion to/fear of *being touched by kids* specifically, rather than kids in general, and that she's able to get past this fear with a specific kid who's proven he's safe (and maybe just older kids in general), evidenced by how well she does with my older son.

With that in mind, it seems like this is a fear I should be able to help her get over. But all the advice I see both here and elsewhere is how to not let your kids get bitten (again, loving duh), how to teach kids good dog manners (my kids know this stuff already) and how to get dogs to tolerate the presence of children (she already does). So it isn't very helpful. I'm hoping there's some other step I can take to further reduce her aversion, other than "wait for him to get older."

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

pseudomonas posted:

I've started by going into the yard, giving the toddler a meatball, having the dog sit and stay and the toddler run and hide, then releasing the dog and when he finds her, she gives him the meatball, he runs back to me and I reward him too. My plan is when the behavior is pretty reliable and enthusiastic, add a cue and fade the toddler dispensed treat. So far this is semi successful but both toddler and dog have pretty short attention spans, so it's going slowly, because we can only do 3 or 4 repetitions before one of the participants looses interest. Also unsurprisingly the toddler doesn't have the best timing, is slow to find a hiding spot and often doesn't want to hand over the meatball (she wants to get him to sit or lay down before she rewards him).

I was wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions on how to train this or ways I can tweak my current plan? I don't really have another adult I can regularly call on for hiding duties.

3 or 4 repetitions at a time seems like more than enough to me. Just do it consistently (daily, or even multiple times a day with big breaks in between if your schedule allows) and do 1 or 2 runs each time then quit early so everyone stays excited and wanting to play more. You don't want to overdo a something like that or it turns into a drill and kills the dog's motivation.

I don't know what to do about the delayed reward but if you just want this as a fun little game, who really cares? Your dog will probably figure it out eventually even if he has to sit before he gets his treat. It might just take longer and not be quite as reliable, but you're still having fun with the kid and the dog and will probably eventually have a fun trick to show off.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

pookel posted:

With that in mind, it seems like this is a fear I should be able to help her get over.

I don't want to be rude, but what if it's something your dog will never get over? Some dogs (like humans) just never come around to like a specific thing or get over something. And dogs (unlike humans) don't have the rational to understand why you keep putting it in such an uncomfortable situation. Pushing the dog to stop showing signs of discomfort and just let all kids touch it will lead to the dog eventually "snapping" because it will reach that threshold at one point or another. Imagine if you forced your child to accept all hugs and kisses and being touched from EVERYBODY, even people who make your child very uncomfortable and unsafe. Do you think that'd create a healthy sense of trust in your child?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
If she doesn't get over it, she doesn't get over it. I'm not pushing her into situations that make her uncomfortable and I don't reprimand her for communicating her feelings to kids. I'm just asking for suggestions on encouraging gradual improvement in this area without forcing anything. And I'm wondering if six weeks in is still too early to give up on her ever accepting pets from kids (it seems early to me).

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
If you put your dog into a situation where the end result is that she starts snapping you've put her in a situation she's uncomfortable it's not loving rocket science

Nothing is going to improve if you aren't honest with yourself about the fact that she is uncomfortable around kids in some situations

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

pookel posted:

If she doesn't get over it, she doesn't get over it. I'm not pushing her into situations that make her uncomfortable

We adopted a dog about two years ago. We found out he doesn't give warnings and just snaps and bites if startled, and for a time was afraid of men. for the first year my sister (technically it belongs to her and her family, I live with them) and her husband would walk the dog on a street near home that is pretty much an industrial park, so no houses or kids around. They don't take him to parks because he's small, cute, and would bit the poo poo out of kids who'd try to pet him even if they say not to touch him. It's taken two years for that dog to FINALLY give warning signs, and we give him space as soon as he growls or gives us whale eyes. It's been months since he last bit anybody at home, and he's much more lovable, but it took years. And in those two years he bit my hand pretty hard when I pet him while he was half sleep, he bit my sister's face when she was cuddling him, he's bitten both of my nieces too when they were playing with him and hugging him like a baby. I like the dog, but I don't trust him, and we only pet him in small amounts, for a few seconds, then we leave our hand still, if he wants more petting, he'll lick or nudge our hand. if he doesn't do that, we leave him alone.

You bringing the dog and letting kids pet him despite you knowing he doesn't feel comfortable is basically putting him in a situation he feels unsafe and unable to escape. Your dog may or may not give you what you want at his own pace, not yours, so if you really want your dog to be the ideal pet you envision, take things slowly and follow your dog's pace, not your own personal need. Otherwise, your dog may one day "snap" at your kids or even you if you keep pushing him.

Chido fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 2, 2016

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So we adopted a second dog, called Buddy, with part of the reasoning is that we wanted a dog that was confident and happy with strangers/people that it would help our first dog, Ada, at least get to a point where she can be around people without getting super stressed. We had lots of success with my girlfriend's brother's dog Boof being around Ada, as she would be much more relaxed, confident and happy around strangers, not so much that she would accept pats and lots of attention, but enough that she wouldn't growl and lunge at people just because they happened to be in the same room. Turns out Ada is actually pretty good with other dogs and really benefits from having another dog to show her the ropes, as it were.

So Ada and Buddy got along well at the meet and greets at the RSPCA, but since we've gotten him home, it's become a bit tense. They've had a few fights, which I'm told is acceptable to begin with and is probably going to happen at the beginning of the process, but my concern is that Ada is actually becoming more withdrawn, quiet and prefers isolation, not just from Buddy, but now also from us. She spends nearly all of her time in her crate, except for food and walk times, we've been having her in our room during the night which helps somewhat but spends most of her time alone, which she didn't often do beforehand. I've seen behaviour that concerns me about Buddy too, I've caught him cornering Ada under the desks in our study, and has bailed her up in her crate a couple of times (although I've made sure to stamp that out as quickly as possible) and staring her down until she leaves the room.

The worst was yesterday, when they brought Boof around to have some fun with Ada, but we had real trouble with Buddy. I tried every avenue to get them to meet under the right circumstances, but every interaction ended in lunging and biting (mostly from Buddy), or growling if at a distance. It all came to a head when we got sidetracked doing something in the yard and my girlfriend brought Buddy out on the lead to pee (we had him sequestered away inside for a while because we didn't trust them all together) and it became a full blown fight with Ada and Boof ganging up on Buddy (they all came out alright, Ada and Buddy had a few scratches). If this was any other dog I wouldn't bother trying again, but Ada really, really benefits from Boof's company (moreso than Buddy) and he's going to be around a lot, being a family dog and everything. There has been at least one big fight a week, with a few spot fires that I've been able to put out, usually as a result of their playing getting too rough but I make sure to at this point always monitor their play times.

It's been about a month since we got him, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're just not going to be a good fit or if this is something that can be overcome?

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013
6 weeks is no time at all for overcoming a fear like that. That said, if you're going to keep putting her in situations where she's fearful enough to be snapping at children, you might as well just give up now.

Conditioning a dog to accept something she was previously afraid of requires creating a positive association with the thing that scares her. If she's ever getting to a point where she's snapping (and well before she actually snaps, for that matter), she's too afraid and it's a bad experience. You could give her all the best treats in the world and she's still likely to walk away from the experience with her fears reinforced.

We think of petting as a nice and pleasant thing, but it's actually kind of weird and stressful for dogs, at least if it comes from strangers. It typically involves reaching out and grabbing at the dog's head or neck, which is potentially threatening from someone they don't know. If they're already predisposed to be afraid of the person (like your dog is afraid of kids), it's all the more weird and threatening.

You need to back way off and start having actual no or low pressure interactions with her and kids, if you want to even try to make this work. To be honest, though, she doesn't sound like a good fit for you, regardless of whether she likes your older child. But if you really want to keep trying, back off so far it will probably feel like you're doing nothing. Like, back off to the point where you're sitting in a park watching children play really far away and start giving her high-value treats when she stays relaxed. Get a trainer to help you figure out how to progress from there.

Right now, you're setting her up for a bite history and you're setting a kid up for a scarring and traumatic experience with a dog. Snapping is a huge and scary sign that you are actually forcing her into situations that scare her.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
She really is going from nothing to snapping in a split second, though. I am watching for warning signs and she's not giving them. But to be clear, this isn't a very "bitey" snap - it's definitely a "back off" communication rather than an attempt to bite.

I don't "let" kids pet her, either - I told them not to and one kid tried to reach toward her anyway and got snapped at. My 8yo doesn't try anymore, he knows better.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

pookel posted:

She really is going from nothing to snapping in a split second, though. I am watching for warning signs and she's not giving them. But to be clear, this isn't a very "bitey" snap - it's definitely a "back off" communication rather than an attempt to bite.

I don't "let" kids pet her, either - I told them not to and one kid tried to reach toward her anyway and got snapped at. My 8yo doesn't try anymore, he knows better.

I get where you're coming from. I think people are saying you shouldn't be putting her in a situation where you need to trust young children to behave themselves. At least not strangers, if they come up, just say no. Also some dogs just don't give warning signs because that's how bad the trigger is. Environment management is 90% of the battle in managing a fearful dog's behaviour. Take the advice of the guy above your last post, it's good.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

pookel posted:

I love it when people come in here for advice, hear something they don't like and then get mad. A snap like you described is a warning sign, it says "I am not comfortable and I will bite you if you make me". Stop forcing the issue and tell your son if she doesn't like him petting her, he doesn't get to pet her. Some dogs are okay with older kids, some are not. This entire thing is not very complicated. Your dog doesn't like thing, stop allowing thing to happen.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

wtftastic posted:

I love it when people come in here for advice, hear something they don't like and then get mad. A snap like you described is a warning sign, it says "I am not comfortable and I will bite you if you make me". Stop forcing the issue and tell your son if she doesn't like him petting her, he doesn't get to pet her. Some dogs are okay with older kids, some are not. This entire thing is not very complicated. Your dog doesn't like thing, stop allowing thing to happen.
People are interpreting things into my posts I'm not saying. I get that a lot of people try to force dogs to put up with kids petting them. I am not one of those people. We don't force anything. My 8-year-old gives her extra treats. She gets praise and attention for being friendly with him. He plays with her. He doesn't try to pet her, because we can tell by the way she watches his hands and acts extra alert around him that she'd still snap if he tried.

This sort of treats, attention, and coaxing got her friendly with the 11-year-old within a week or so, but hasn't gotten her warmed up to the 8-year-old yet - which, again, has only been six weeks and she is an adult rescue. And I keep hearing (including from this thread) that change takes time and adult rescue dogs will take up to a couple years to adjust. So I post hoping to hear "keep doing that and be patient" or "try this thing instead" or "she's never going to change, don't bother" and instead I get "don't force interactions!" which ... I already wasn't doing? So this hasn't been especially helpful.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

pookel posted:

People are interpreting things into my posts I'm not saying. I get that a lot of people try to force dogs to put up with kids petting them. I am not one of those people. We don't force anything. My 8-year-old gives her extra treats. She gets praise and attention for being friendly with him. He plays with her. He doesn't try to pet her, because we can tell by the way she watches his hands and acts extra alert around him that she'd still snap if he tried.

This sort of treats, attention, and coaxing got her friendly with the 11-year-old within a week or so, but hasn't gotten her warmed up to the 8-year-old yet - which, again, has only been six weeks and she is an adult rescue. And I keep hearing (including from this thread) that change takes time and adult rescue dogs will take up to a couple years to adjust. So I post hoping to hear "keep doing that and be patient" or "try this thing instead" or "she's never going to change, don't bother" and instead I get "don't force interactions!" which ... I already wasn't doing? So this hasn't been especially helpful.

Okay, so you just want to hear what you want to hear. I'll try again in a way you want to hear. She's never going to change while you own her, don't bother.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

You've got advice from professional dog trainers, animal behavior experts, pet owners who have worked in rescue and rehabilitation of animals that have had lovely aggression history, people who own and train work dogs for their intended work, and they have ALL given you advice for free. And yet you've decided to dismiss every single post because they keep telling you the easy fix you're looking for doesn't exist.

This is why people think pi goons are assholes, because it's people like you who act like spoiled brats throwing temper tantrums because they are telling you what you can do so you and your kid AND your dog can live happy without incidents... but that will take time and effort, yet you just want an easy fix and now you're angry that there isn't one.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

You come into a subforum with dog professionals and then get upset when we try to give you solicited advice.

I know it's hard to hear, and it could possibly get better, but only if you listen to the dog more. The out of nowhere snap probably isn't as out of nowhere as you think, the dog probably licks her lips, gets tense, gets real quiet and still etc. It can be extremely subtle to those who aren't used to it. Tell kids SPECIFICALLY they can give treats but then no pets. But first maybe no stay away from the doggy and YOU give treats when she sees strange kids. Tell them to ignore her (hard for kids and adults alike I know). If they don't listen, that's where the warning snap has its place, and never punish the dog for the warning snap, or it could just turn straight into a bite. Let her have her warnings, her growls, her snaps. This is what teaches us to back off before it does become a serious bite.

IGNORE HER.

Even your 8 year old son, ignore her. Treats and ignore. Treats and ignore. If she wants to interact, she will come up to interact.

Just because she likes the people in her own house doesn't mean there is a blanket like. The dogs currently living with me HATE other dogs. But our house of 5 works just fine, because they tolerate the ones they live with, but not strange dogs. Your dog tolerates the family she lives with, but currently (possibly forever) does not tolerate other family. Dogs don't work in a way of "well she likes this one thing, so that means she likes all." That's like saying, well I like this one kind of apple, so that means every piece of fruit is amazing.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
there's a few reasons you aren't getting the responses you're hoping for. previously when you asked for advice in the puppy thread, you ignored everyone who gave you extensive, well thought out plans of approach in lieu of listening to the single person who essentially said the problem would fix itself with time. alifeless (who is ostensibly the training expert in PI ) gave you a great plan of attack and you couldn't even bother responding to her. thats insanely frustrating and doesn't really motivate people to help you any further

the other problem is that you're not being honest with yourself or us based on what you're posting. from day one you've been insisting your dog has zero fear issues with children but you keep coming back asking for help dealing with your dog's discomfort around children. from day one your dog has been snapping at your 8 year old and now she's snapping at stranger's kids. that's a very serious problem and you are not going to fix it unless you start being real loving honest with yourself about your dog's behavior and stop making excuses like "she's an adult rescue"

its your job as an owner to prevent any situation that you know will provoke your dog into biting especially when kids are involved. you know your dog has issues with kids but you still let strange kids interact with her. that in of itself is forcing her into a frightening situation as evidenced by the fact that she loving snapped at the kids when they tried to touch her. you're putting other people's children at risk because you cannot be honest with yourself about your dogs behavior and it's really hosed up.

also they're kids, they're going to try and touch the dog. you're a loving adult, use your goddamn brain and handle the situation appropriately so your dog doesn't bite a loving kid. you have a purse dog, just pick her the gently caress up if kids are insisting on petting her.

go back and read alifeless's advice to you in the puppy thread.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

pookel posted:

My guess is that the "nothing" you see is actually the freeze that often comes before a growl or snap.

If strange kids approach, just leave. Pick the dog up if you want to.

Here is a great article about why trying to bulldoze through discomfort with food is not a good idea: https://thecognitivecanine.com/2016/04/12/high-value-vs-high-stakes-the-ethics-of-positive-reinforcement/

My dog isn't a fan of being pet, but she acquiesces to me doing so because she trusts me and puts up with me doing poo poo she doesn't love. Your dog does not yet trust certain (most?) people. It may happen. It may not. I can't say "do this it will solve your issues" because I do not know your dog or your situation. If you want advice tailor made for your situation, consider hiring a behaviourist.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

screaden posted:

So we adopted a second dog, called Buddy, with part of the reasoning is that we wanted a dog that was confident and happy with strangers/people that it would help our first dog, Ada, at least get to a point where she can be around people without getting super stressed. We had lots of success with my girlfriend's brother's dog Boof being around Ada, as she would be much more relaxed, confident and happy around strangers, not so much that she would accept pats and lots of attention, but enough that she wouldn't growl and lunge at people just because they happened to be in the same room. Turns out Ada is actually pretty good with other dogs and really benefits from having another dog to show her the ropes, as it were.

So Ada and Buddy got along well at the meet and greets at the RSPCA, but since we've gotten him home, it's become a bit tense. They've had a few fights, which I'm told is acceptable to begin with and is probably going to happen at the beginning of the process, but my concern is that Ada is actually becoming more withdrawn, quiet and prefers isolation, not just from Buddy, but now also from us. She spends nearly all of her time in her crate, except for food and walk times, we've been having her in our room during the night which helps somewhat but spends most of her time alone, which she didn't often do beforehand. I've seen behaviour that concerns me about Buddy too, I've caught him cornering Ada under the desks in our study, and has bailed her up in her crate a couple of times (although I've made sure to stamp that out as quickly as possible) and staring her down until she leaves the room.

The worst was yesterday, when they brought Boof around to have some fun with Ada, but we had real trouble with Buddy. I tried every avenue to get them to meet under the right circumstances, but every interaction ended in lunging and biting (mostly from Buddy), or growling if at a distance. It all came to a head when we got sidetracked doing something in the yard and my girlfriend brought Buddy out on the lead to pee (we had him sequestered away inside for a while because we didn't trust them all together) and it became a full blown fight with Ada and Boof ganging up on Buddy (they all came out alright, Ada and Buddy had a few scratches). If this was any other dog I wouldn't bother trying again, but Ada really, really benefits from Boof's company (moreso than Buddy) and he's going to be around a lot, being a family dog and everything. There has been at least one big fight a week, with a few spot fires that I've been able to put out, usually as a result of their playing getting too rough but I make sure to at this point always monitor their play times.

It's been about a month since we got him, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they're just not going to be a good fit or if this is something that can be overcome?

This is difficult to say. You've rushed introductions and likely have some damage to repair. It may not actually be repairable.

The first thing I would recommend is to separate the dogs. Get them used to coexisting without having any pressure to interact. Keep them behind gates, in ex-pens, etc. Only allow them to be in the same area or engaged with you simultaneously if you're actively working on the issue (the issue being that the presence of the other dog predicts stress and conflict). Read up on classical conditioning as mentioned in the OP. Read the OP of the puppy thread -- there's a section there about introducing a new dog to a household -- obviously you'll not be following that advice to the letter as you're not dealing with a puppy from a breeder, but the basic premise is the same. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471773

Consider working with a trainer or behaviourist.

Don't rush things. It will take at least as much time to undo the "damage" as it took to cause it, at the very least. I would probably plan to utilize gates and pens, etc., for 3-6 months. Maybe you'll luck out and it won't take that long, but realistically, you should be prepared for a long haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Ausrotten posted:

there's a few reasons you aren't getting the responses you're hoping for. previously when you asked for advice in the puppy thread, you ignored everyone who gave you extensive, well thought out plans of approach in lieu of listening to the single person who essentially said the problem would fix itself with time. alifeless (who is ostensibly the training expert in PI ) gave you a great plan of attack and you couldn't even bother responding to her. thats insanely frustrating and doesn't really motivate people to help you any further
I'm sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring anyone. I thought it would be annoying to clutter up the thread with "thanks, great advice!" posts. I DID read all those posts and have been following most of the advice I've heard. Yesterday was the first time that strange kids approached her, because I don't take her out to places where there are kids. We went to a new park with the idea that my kids would play on the play equipment while I walked around with her, but it was hot and she wanted to sit down in the shade, and these kids approached and she didn't seem to me to be worried. I didn't think to just pick her up and remove her (partly because I've been trying not to pick her up much because she can use her own drat legs, but that's a different subject), but next time I'll know better.

I have no interest in training her to put up with things she doesn't like or forcing her to like children. I DO want her to learn to trust my 8-year-old. That is the one important thing here. I want her to know that he is safe and will not hurt her. She doesn't have to let him pet her. But I want to help her not be anxious around him.

paisleyfox posted:

Even your 8 year old son, ignore her. Treats and ignore. Treats and ignore. If she wants to interact, she will come up to interact.
Thank you, this is the sort of answer I'm asking for. I don't want headpats and affirmation. I just want advice on what TO do rather than what NOT to.

However, part of what's confusing to me here is that she DOES come up to interact with him pretty frequently. She jumps on his bed, sniffs him, licks him, etc. He's not approaching her. But if she jumps up on him and sniffs and licks and he then reaches toward her, she gets growly/snappish at him. And I don't mean he bribes her and then tries to pet her. I mean he's totally ignoring her, using his tablet, lying on his bed, and she comes up to him and acts friendly. That's the point where I'm unsure what he should do - talk to her in a calm voice? try to play? Or just continue to ignore her?

• Locked thread