Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Butch Cassidy posted:

Hot buttered rum, goes well with cider, fortify mulled wine.

oh yeah cider.is a good idea. I really love hot spiced cider so this should be right up my alley for the xmas months.

goferchan posted:

one of my coworkers made a brown butter washed rum at home and brought some in for me to taste and it was incredibly good , i'll ask him about the recipe when i see him tomorrow. really wanna figure out some kind of coffee brunch cocktail with it

If you do get the reciepe I'd really like to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Most recipes I've seen are 1 stick to 1 750ml bottle. Brown the butter in a pan, pour it into the liquor, put it in the freezer overnight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Most recipes I've seen are 1 stick to 1 750ml bottle. Brown the butter in a pan, pour it into the liquor, put it in the freezer overnight.

Yup I asked and that's exactly what he did. Then you strain it out once everything solidified. He used Flor de Cana 7 but it would probably be fine with spiced rum

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Next morning trip report on drinking maybe 25oz of French 75s in an hour and a half: surprisingly no hangover. About two hours into work I developed a pretty bad headache from not having any water, though.

I did screw up and put way too much lemon in, but it still tasted good.

Unfortunately there is no amount of alcohol that can make elections not matter.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 9, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I picked up some white rhum agricole from Martinique on a trip to France. What should I make with it?

Thinking keep it simple, home made lime peel syrup + lime juice + rhum + tiny bit of angostura, shake.

I could also add a splash of Smith and Cross.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Comb Your Beard posted:

I picked up some white rhum agricole from Martinique on a trip to France. What should I make with it?

Thinking keep it simple, home made lime peel syrup + lime juice + rhum + tiny bit of angostura, shake.

Keep it even simpler and make a Ti Punch.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

hemingway daiquiri with rhum agricole is my poo poo 👌👌

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's everyone's recipe for a hot toddy? I was surprised to learn that to most people who even know what it is, it seems to mean tea and whisky. I'd been making them ever since I read "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall" in school, but just with water, lemon, honey, whiskey, and bitters.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

What's everyone's recipe for a hot toddy? I was surprised to learn that to most people who even know what it is, it seems to mean tea and whisky. I'd been making them ever since I read "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall" in school, but just with water, lemon, honey, whiskey, and bitters.

Irish bar here does water, whiskey, honey and a clove studded lemon wedge. I've never been able to make it work out quite as well at home.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've never been able to understand people who want hot lemons. I find that spirits, sugar, and boiling water are quite enough for me. It's particularly nice with Smith and Cross or Armagnac.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, and a scrape of nutmeg.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Got my hands on some bitter oranges. Could anyone repost that punch recipe, please?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kenning posted:

I've never been able to understand people who want hot lemons. I find that spirits, sugar, and boiling water are quite enough for me. It's particularly nice with Smith and Cross or Armagnac.

If I am using it to sooth a sore throat or help with the sniffles, the lemon is a god send.

Also I lik the taste of lemon/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm trying to think of a cocktail I don't want citrus in. Left Hands, egg nog, and Brandy Alexanders I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to think of a cocktail I don't want citrus in. Left Hands, egg nog, and Brandy Alexanders I guess.

Manhattan?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Negroni?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Martini?

e: o wait

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well if you don't count a twist of lemon or orange bitters, sure. I wouldn't put lime juice in a Negroni either.

pgroce posted:

Martini?
I would prefer not to.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Chunky White Russian. :barf:

e: I call it a Khrushchev

Olive! fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 10, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ima let u finish in me posted:

Got my hands on some bitter oranges. Could anyone repost that punch recipe, please?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post410756616

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

A little orange zest in eggnog is pretty tasty

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A bartender in New Orleans just gave me a good recipe for orange syrup so I think I will try that. (It was half fresh-squeezed orange juice, quarter oleosaccharum, and a quarter simple. I think. I was really drunk and wearing prosthetics on my ears. Does that sound good?)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

hemingway daiquiri with rhum agricole is my poo poo 👌👌

Try one with Banks 5 island, yw

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

P.S. speaking of Armagnac now is a good time to buy some really nice bottles because its' comical how cheap it is for the quality. You're looking at like $150-200 for 50-65 year old Armagnacs. I think Bas-Armagnacs are a little pricier because the AOC rules are a little tighter compared to non-bas-armagnacs but who freakin cares.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Thank you! Excited to try this.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Comb Your Beard posted:

splash of Smith and Cross.

This was excellent. It didn't look like a classic daiquiri because of the brown sugar in the syrup but tasted delicious.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Orange bitters in a Manhattan is actually pretty drat nice.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

Doing this tonight, definitely.

What's the thoughts on mail order cocktail companies? I've been seeing more advertisements for them and they sound kind of interesting, if only for the novelty of it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

Same, I loving love Manhattans and this sounds great

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

Yasss.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

:omarcomin:
Got a bottle of sazerac rye and this sounds like a very good use for it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
My brother gifted me a nice bottle of red vermouth. To try it for the first time, Manhattan, boulvardier, negroni, or americano?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drink it straight :getin: i'll kill a bottle of carpano antica or whatever no problem

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, definitely have it straight before you mix it with stuff so you get a better idea of its flavor. Drink it on ice, preferably with an orange twist.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

What's the thoughts on mail order cocktail companies? I've been seeing more advertisements for them and they sound kind of interesting, if only for the novelty of it.

If only there were places you could go to try coctails without buying all the full sized bottles of liquor

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

poop dood posted:

Drink it on ice, preferably with an orange twist.

I keep trying to get other people to do this but they hate fun and leave more for me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

If only there were places you could go to try coctails without buying all the full sized bottles of liquor

To be fair, not everyone's near a decent cocktail bar, and who wants to be the person asking for a complicated drink (read: anything more involved than a rum and coke) at a dive bar?

Edit: just looked at the article. I guess some minibottles are hard to find, but I was kind of expecting aged cocktails or something.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 13, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Halloween Jack posted:

I've had a sore throat the past couple days (and am currently developing a sniffle tonight :negative:), and I've been doing my own take on a "Hot Toddy."

Jim Beam Rye, brown sugar, lemon juice, and a 3:1 honey syrup with cardamom. Topped off with hot water.

:beerpal:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 15, 2016

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone have a really good eggnog recipe? I've looked around online, but there's a lot of variation among recipes, so I was hoping someone with more experience could point me to a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Laocius posted:

Anyone have a really good eggnog recipe? I've looked around online, but there's a lot of variation among recipes, so I was hoping someone with more experience could point me to a good one.

Alton Brown has one, I haven't personally tried it but he's never steered me wrong before.