Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Oh yeah! I forgot about that one, makes me want to reinstall Hawken and play Warframe again for ~extra chunks~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I got SLI 680's when they first came out and now I wish I waited a few months for the 780ti's. Those look awesome, faster than a Titan for $300 less? gently caress yeah!

But of course, if you wait a few months again there'll be 880's.

There's always something coming "soon".

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ak Gara posted:

I got SLI 680's when they first came out and now I wish I waited a few months for the 780ti's.

But of course, if you wait a few months again there'll be 880's.

There's always something coming "soon".

Only regret I'd have if I were in your shoes would be that I "wasted" a couple hundred bucks for the 680s over the 670s. If you got your pair the same time I got my one, that's, what, solid year and a half of absolutely stellar game quality? And you didn't have to deal with the ATI frame pacing issues, either. You got what you want and used it for a long time. In fact there's a shitload of life left in that setup, apart from some potential VRAM issues that may or may not be a problem outside ridiculous or unoptimized games you've got a setup that still stomps on a 780Ti for performance (the 690 is a good card, but it isn't quite two 680s, performance-wise - 300W TDP is what it is, binning be damned).

Regret is "I bought this fuckin' thing like three and a half months ago and now they've dropped the price $150 and released what I really wanted in the first place for more than this cost, oh and it comes with three AAA games and poo poo? And... I'm in?! What's wrong with my brain that I'm actually doing this? :smithicide:"

I genuinely, truly, honestly plan to wait for the 20nm shrink to upgrade to Maxwell. Sincerely do. But I'm not toxxing myself on it, because I have a clear case of the graphics :downs:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Agreed posted:

Only regret I'd have if I were in your shoes would be that I "wasted" a couple hundred bucks for the 680s over the 670s. If you got your pair the same time I got my one, that's, what, solid year and a half of absolutely stellar game quality? And you didn't have to deal with the ATI frame pacing issues, either. You got what you want and used it for a long time. In fact there's a shitload of life left in that setup, apart from some potential VRAM issues that may or may not be a problem outside ridiculous or unoptimized games you've got a setup that still stomps on a 780Ti for performance (the 690 is a good card, but it isn't quite two 680s, performance-wise - 300W TDP is what it is, binning be damned).

Regret is "I bought this fuckin' thing like three and a half months ago and now they've dropped the price $150 and released what I really wanted in the first place for more than this cost, oh and it comes with three AAA games and poo poo? And... I'm in?! What's wrong with my brain that I'm actually doing this? :smithicide:"

I genuinely, truly, honestly plan to wait for the 20nm shrink to upgrade to Maxwell. Sincerely do. But I'm not toxxing myself on it, because I have a clear case of the graphics :downs:

A chronic case, I'd say!

I've been second-guessing myself throughout the day on whether to stick with the XFX (which would come with a copy of Battlefield 4 to offload) or swap for the Powercolor which has been guaranteed unlocks.

Here's the current tally of vendors and unclocks.

Airisom2 posted:

Unofficial 290 -> 290X Flash Results

This will be updated whenever I find someone who flashes their card.

Some of these links have official benchmarks comparing them, but most don't. Some of these are also copies from the spreadsheet above, but I'm putting them in here just in case.

Sapphire
Unlocked: 0
Locked: One, Two, Three, Four Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen , Fourteen, Fifteen

Gigabyte
Locked: One, Two, Three, Four, Five

Powercolor
Unlocked: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten
Locked: 0

MSI
Locked: One, Two, Three, Four, Five , Six

HIS
Locked: One

XFX
Unlocked: One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six
Locked: One, Two, Three, Four (Some of these may be suspect- GPU-Z Bug incorrectly showing correct shaders)

ASUS:
Locked: One, Two

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
That PowerColor 290 is ridiculously tempting. I wonder how the odds have worked that way?
Do AMD poo poo out ones that haven't been laser cut on request?
Have PowerColor paid for full Hawaii and then sold them cheaper to gain this kind of viral marketing?
hosed if I know!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 18, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

You know what's weird? The game that pushes my system the most is Kerbal Space Program. 50 mods + 8k texture mod + playing at 3264x1836p... My SLI 680's really could do with more than 2 gigs of memory.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

KSP is worse than Skyrim when it comes to what you can do to it, man am I glad I only sorta scratch the surface of that game.

Ghostpilot posted:

A chronic case, I'd say!

I've been second-guessing myself throughout the day on whether to stick with the XFX (which would come with a copy of Battlefield 4 to offload) or swap for the Powercolor which has been guaranteed unlocks.

Here's the current tally of vendors and unclocks.

Personally I'd go for the BF4 to get an even better deal. Who cares if it's really a 290x, worst case is you get almost every inch of performance the 290x offers for like $370 after reselling the code and hey it might unlock on top of that, bonus.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd personally go for the XFX if you really want BF4.

Think of it this way. The XFXs have a chance of unlocking, AND you get a free copy of BF4. You very well could get lucky and get an unlockable XFX, and even if you don't, the difference in performance is so minimal that it would still be worth the $400 you spent on it.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Yeah, you guys are right. I suppose I've been hanging out OCN too much. Thanks, fellas!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just got a bit carried away and ordered a Sapphire 280x as an incremental upgrade from my 7870 xt. As they're both Tahiti chips will I need to uninstall / reinstall Catalyst to get it running properly? Or can I just swap it in?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

knox_harrington posted:

I just got a bit carried away and ordered a Sapphire 280x as an incremental upgrade from my 7870 xt. As they're both Tahiti chips will I need to uninstall / reinstall Catalyst to get it running properly? Or can I just swap it in?

I always do a clean install but that's just me.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

knox_harrington posted:

Technically you could try and Crossfire them if you have the motherboard and power supply to handle it.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Blorange posted:

Technically you could try and Crossfire them if you have the motherboard and power supply to handle it.

Wrong card. The 280X CrossFires with 7970s, not 7870s. I am bad at reading and totally forgot about the silly-named 7870 that ought to have been a 7930

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 18, 2013

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The 7870 xt is an odd duck, under the hood it's actually a nerfed 7950. Reviewers found that it will pair up with 7950 / 7970 series, which I assume will also apply to the 280x.

http://www.techpowerup.com/176817/radeon-hd-7870-tahiti-le-can-pair-with-hd-7900-series-in-crossfirex.html

Blorange fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 18, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

And if only Nvidia wasn't actively blocking hybrid PHYSX we wouldn't have to jump through these hoops. It also looks like they've been able to stop the hybridization by directly coding games not to support it. Batman Origins and Hawken won't work. We won't know until newer PHYSX enabled games come out.

I'm almost tempted to drop my 680 in with my 2 290s and see what kind of crazy trouble I can get into :getin:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable doing that with anything less than a hazmat suit and a fallout shelter.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable doing that with anything less than a hazmat suit and a fallout shelter.

Just got a Corsair AX1200i, I might as well make it sweat a bit ;)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Blorange posted:

Unfortunately I'm ITX and also a bit lean on the power front at 450W (bequiet E9 80+ gold thing) . Pcpartpicker.com tells me I should be OK so hopefully it won't set fire to my flat.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So I checked my credit card balance this morning. Sigh....4075 bucks. I gotta start selling some poo poo to recoup expenses.

3 new Dell 27" monitors
1 Amd 290x (being returned)
2 290s
2 waterblocks
+ all my standard spending.

If I had a wife she'd be pissed off right about now.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
^^Jesus Christ.

I'm about to make the big jump from Win 7 to Win 8.1. Are people still reporting problems with SLI in 8.1?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Stanley Pain posted:

And if only Nvidia wasn't actively blocking hybrid PHYSX we wouldn't have to jump through these hoops. It also looks like they've been able to stop the hybridization by directly coding games not to support it. Batman Origins and Hawken won't work. We won't know until newer PHYSX enabled games come out.

Huh, I don't really get why. NVIDIA could make a bit from people who have AMD cards. At the end of the day, you had to buy NVIDIA silicon to get the feature, why block it if it's not the renderer?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Huh, I don't really get why. NVIDIA could make a bit from people who have AMD cards. At the end of the day, you had to buy NVIDIA silicon to get the feature, why block it if it's not the renderer?

Who the hell knows. But it pisses me off. I'm sure the same will be said for Mantle, if and when it makes any kind of splash/ripple. I'd love to throw in one of my older NV cards to act as a PPU.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Well, I was in for a surprise when I tried to install the Xtreme III today. The thermal adhesive was all dried up in the tube. :argh:

It was my first time opening it, and nothing was coming out when I was squeezing it. Even tried with pliers via the instructions. The most I got out was some dust.

Guess I'm going to RMA this thing for a refund, though I'm honestly debating on just getting some good thermal pads and using those for the heatsinks instead as well as getting some more heatsinks.

I think a refund would be better though, as I'm actually thinking about getting another cooler instead, or I may just wait until I get the money to water cool at a later date.

For now, it's back to the lovely reference cooler. :sigh:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Stanley Pain posted:

Who the hell knows. But it pisses me off. I'm sure the same will be said for Mantle, if and when it makes any kind of splash/ripple. I'd love to throw in one of my older NV cards to act as a PPU.

Well, Mantle will work on Nvidia cards. So there's that.

http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-api-require-gcn-work-nvidia-graphic-cards/

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Rahu X posted:

Guess I'm going to RMA this thing for a refund, though I'm honestly debating on just getting some good thermal pads and using those for the heatsinks instead as well as getting some more heatsinks.
If you decide not to RMA, get Sekisui thermal tape from eBay and buy a kit of MOS-C1 VRM heatsinks since you can cut them to size easily. 3M thermal tape is a waste of money.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The article's summary says one thing, then the article says something completely different. Nobody has said Mantle won't require support from the graphics card; all AMD has said is other people can implement it if they want. If Nvidia doesn't want to implement it, then it's not working on Nvidia cards.

eames
May 9, 2009

This site is literally the worst. Every time I see a ridiculous rumor pop up with only one shady source, it’s that site. See G-Sync being Asus-exclusive. Do not feed the trolls with advertising money.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

eames posted:

This site is literally the worst. Every time I see a ridiculous rumor pop up with only one shady source, it’s that site. See G-Sync being Asus-exclusive. Do not feed the trolls with advertising money.

Oh, didn't know their reputation. I just grabbed it from an OCN post.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
That title and chart is leading me to believe our planet doesn't really need it's core to work.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Rahu X posted:

Well, I was in for a surprise when I tried to install the Xtreme III today. The thermal adhesive was all dried up in the tube. :argh:

It was my first time opening it, and nothing was coming out when I was squeezing it. Even tried with pliers via the instructions. The most I got out was some dust.

I think a refund would be better though, as I'm actually thinking about getting another cooler instead, or I may just wait until I get the money to water cool at a later date.

For now, it's back to the lovely reference cooler. :sigh:

Bummer. :( Once I heard about having to mod the Xtreme III and having to buy extra vrm heatsinks in addition to paying the extra cost of the cooler itself, I opted for the Gelid. I have heard of there being some concern about the thermal tape included with it, so I'll be taking Bitcoin's advice and snagging some Sekisui tape.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
Mantle CAN work on NVIDIA GPUs, but WON'T until NVIDIA decides to implement it.

Knowing NVIDIA, I wouldn't expect them to anytime soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA decides to make their own API to challenge Mantle.

Don't get me wrong, Mantle sounds really nice in theory, but I don't see it being the end solution. I see it paving the way for other APIs offering lower level access to the GPU, which would honestly be more practical in the end. Something like some low level extensions to OpenGL that are vendor agnostic.

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

If you decide not to RMA, get Sekisui thermal tape from eBay and buy a kit of MOS-C1 VRM heatsinks since you can cut them to size easily. 3M thermal tape is a waste of money.

That is literally what I was thinking of getting. Some Sekisui thermal tape or Fujipoly thermal pads. I think I'll go for the thermal tape though. Vastly less expensive.

Ghostpilot posted:

Bummer. :( Once I heard about having to mod the Xtreme III and having to buy extra vrm heatsinks in addition to paying the extra cost of the cooler itself, I opted for the Gelid. I have heard of there being some concern about the thermal tape included with it, so I'll be taking Bitcoin's advice and snagging some Sekisui tape.

And the Gelid is one of the reasons why I'm thinking about RMA-ing. I hear conflicting reports on the fans though. Some say they're quiet at full blast, other say they're almost as loud as the reference cooler on Quiet Mode.

I also hear conflicting reports on the VRM cooling. Even with the fans at full, VRM 1 apparently spikes fast. Could be a result of the lovely default thermal tape or the heat sinks though, so that problem could be alleviated with some better ones.

Seems like it cools just as well though, for around 33% cheaper.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 19, 2013

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

FYI, the MOS-C1 kit includes plenty of thermal pads and they are precut for the heatsinks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That could work fine, although I've had random thermal tape/pads fall off before so I'm wary of using unknown stuff. I think I read that they're 3M-made and had bad experiences with their tape in the past.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

That could work fine, although I've had random thermal tape/pads fall off before so I'm wary of using unknown stuff. I think I read that they're 3M-made and had bad experiences with their tape in the past.

I tell ya; these won't stick without heat. I set the heatsinks up on the chips and then applied heat via blow dryer for a few minutes. I then pushed the heatsinks into the chips and let them cool. They aren't budging now.

The cheap tape and pads are the worst. I have a pair of cheap copper heatsinks I was using previously, terrible stuff.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Well, order placed - didn't get it in early enough for them to do their thing today, unfortunately, or else I'd have been able to get it in tomorrow instead of two-day. Rush shipping is less for me and more for Sidesaddle for being a champ and being able to coordinate the important middle section of the transaction in the first place - I'll definitely update as soon as I get it in.

Went with an EVGA 780Ti SC ACX, as I'm obviously quite pleased with the 780 SC ACX and its overclocking capability and aggressive BIOS; reviews suggest the EVGA unit has roughly the same chip lotto potential as anything else currently up for sale, and I know for a fact that the ACX cooler's noise level and heat transfer capability very much agrees with me. I like that they go to the trouble of nickel plating the heat pipes - not strictly necessary, but a mark of quality, and really justified given that they've managed an extremely efficient design overall that likely doesn't really cost much more to produce, if at all, than the stock Titan-style cooler.

Now the 90-day step up timer starts all over again. But the house always wins, I've had a long string of EVGA cards and not one has ever been eligible for step-up when a product I actually wanted came out. Then again, I have a terrible habit of buying the top-end graphics card on release, so that's not really unexpected. Once you commit to buying high end graphics crap in the first place, if you want any appreciable performance gains on upgrading you're more or less stuck sticking to buying high end graphics crap as you go - adios price:performance curve, but at least the performance side of things is awfully nice.

Sidesaddle, I emailed you, need your address, just remarking here in case you didn't spot it - I won't have the car tomorrow or I'd be able to ship tomorrow, I apologize, but I should be able to make sure it's heading your way Wednesday, and if expedited shipping isn't a total rip-off I'll send it along in more of a hurry than usual too (though our proximity means that the letter you sent Priority showed up in just one business day, and the card would probably take only one or two as well - I'll inquire, though, for the sake of convenience on your end, and if they can genuinely get it there faster than that without charging me an arm and a leg for the privilege I'll make sure they do).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I've been totally unconscious for the past six hours, but I replied to your e-mail.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

jink posted:

I tell ya; these won't stick without heat. I set the heatsinks up on the chips and then applied heat via blow dryer for a few minutes. I then pushed the heatsinks into the chips and let them cool. They aren't budging now.

The cheap tape and pads are the worst. I have a pair of cheap copper heatsinks I was using previously, terrible stuff.

Man GPU waterblocks can look badass in a rig.

Too bad I'm worried about leaks plus having to top the fluid up and other such problems/hassle with looped water cooling. I have an H100 on my 5ghz 2500k and it's wonderful, truly install and forget. I'd love to have an H80 made for GPU's.

Does anyone know if that is a thing that exists?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Ak Gara posted:

Man GPU waterblocks can look badass in a rig.

Too bad I'm worried about leaks plus having to top the fluid up and other such problems/hassle with looped water cooling. I have an H100 on my 5ghz 2500k and it's wonderful, truly install and forget. I'd love to have an H80 made for GPU's.

Does anyone know if that is a thing that exists?

Agreed, they are awesome.

More Here

I don't think you should worry too much about leaks. This is my first watercooling rig and the only leak I had was one of the fittings on the pump. Every other piece has come together without any hassle. The kit was cheaper than I expected as well.

As for 'all in one' GPU kits... there are mounts/zip ties exactly for putting AIO watercooling kit on a GPU. It's called "The Mod". Most people use a Corsair H60 or the Antec 620. I have some spare brackets and AIO kits if you ever need them (it's how I started with watercooling). :)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I made a bracket to attach an H100 to my 680 and it's way overkill. I'm able to run the radiator with no fans, just passively cooled by the positive case pressure, and I've never broken 60C at 1.212v and 1.3Ghz with a ridiculously cranked up power target through bios modification. The pump in the H100 is by far the loudest part of my computer, significantly more so than the Noctua fans on the D14 which are probably the second loudest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

jink posted:

As for 'all in one' GPU kits... there are mounts/zip ties exactly for putting AIO watercooling kit on a GPU. It's called "The Mod". Most people use a Corsair H60 or the Antec 620. I have some spare brackets and AIO kits if you ever need them (it's how I started with watercooling). :)

Man, I completely forgot about "The Mod." What's funny is that an Antec Kuhler 620 is actually a couple bucks less than an Arctic Accelero Hybrid (or hell, a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer is less than the Xtreme III), and the installation actually seems a lot easier. I've got plenty of zip ties lying around that need to be put to use.

Seriously debating on giving this a shot now. Either way, I've decided I'm going to RMA my Xtreme III for a refund. Besides "The Mod", I'm thinking about going for a Gelid with some Sekisui thermal tape and maybe some better VRM heatsinks.