Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theroachman posted:

Possible rules cockup in above spoiler:

Did you remember to take an attack of opportunity when you played the asset while engaged with the priest?

He was exhausted at the time from attacking me, so he couldn't do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Monsters don't exhaust from attacking, only from being Evaded or card effects that mention it explicitly :ssh:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

theroachman posted:

Monsters don't exhaust from attacking, only from being Evaded or card effects that mention it explicitly :ssh:

"After an enemy attacks during the enemy phase, exhaust it to indicate it has attacked (during attacks of opportunity, enemies do not exhaust)." Learn to Play, page 12. Is this incorrect?

e; page 25 of the Rules Reference also says that enemies exhaust after attacking.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

"After an enemy attacks during the enemy phase, exhaust it to indicate it has attacked (during attacks of opportunity, enemies do not exhaust)." Learn to Play, page 12. Is this incorrect?

The enemy phase is the third phase. Readying all cards in play is the fourth phase.

The only time you can play non-fast cards is during the second phase, the player phase.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PJOmega posted:

The enemy phase is the third phase. Readying all cards in play is the fourth phase.

The only time you can play non-fast cards is during the second phase, the player phase.

So exhausting in combat is just a formality then? Seems kind of weird unless there's something that takes advantage of it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

So exhausting in combat is just a formality then? Seems kind of weird unless there's something that takes advantage of it.

I think it's like turning your small investigator card over when you've completed your actions, maybe? Just to show that all the game actions involving that card have been completed, because there's a lot going on.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

For now it's a formality, for card tracking purposes. Things might care about it in the future.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Next GOT big box is Night's Watch: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/21/watchers-on-the-wall/

And here's another Mythos pack: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/21/blood-on-the-altar/

I find that reveals about mythos packs are a lot less exciting.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I dunno, those permanent cards seem pretty sweet.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
While skimming the AH rules, I was reminded that you can start with up to 9 XP worth of cards for a standalone scenario with no penalty. You can get extra basic weaknesses added to your deck for more XP if you're feeling saucy.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

I'm so loving pumped for this box. Been playing NW heavily since the game released and been enjoying the slow climb from being considered unplayable to one of the top factions right now.

I've been playing Martell/NW in some capacity for a while now thanks to the awesome Martell icon removal stuff (attachments + Nym). Been going really well, in my extremely limited local meta of playing with a couple guys. :v:

I've been hoping to see a Wildling Jon Snow and this is perfect. Can't wait to build NW Wildlings with Mance and all the new hotness coming for them. No idea what Agenda that ends up looking like, if any. Stark is the only other house to have a non-neutral Wildling, but bannering just for Osha and then having to force in another 9 Stark cards may be meh. Not that they don't have plenty of good, I suppose. Maybe Crossing? No idea what the icon spread will look like, but I do love the idea of being able to Ambush in all your Wildlings with Mance to get your 3 challenges through. Seems interesting.

e: poo poo, forgot about Kings of Winter, so probably that unless there's some new Agenda in the box yet to be revealed.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Arkham LCG chat--not sure if I'm playing this correctly:

I'm playing Daisy. I have Arcane Initiate out, and use the free trigger to search the top three cards for a spell. The Necronomicon is one of those three cards. No spells were found.

I've been shuffling the Necronomicon back into my deck with this. Is that correct, or is searching considering drawing the cards as far as weaknesses are concerned?

edit: The entry for "Search" in the rules reference says, "While cards are in the process of being searched, they are not considered to have left their game area of origin," which suggests to me that they haven't been drawn/entered my hand and therefore weaknesses wouldn't trigger off of that. Seems a bit too good but I guess thematically Daisy is using the Arcane Initiate as a lab assistant (guinea pig) and making her go insane reading the book instead. :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 27, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: I buggered that up.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Since The Necronomicon doesn't have the "spell" keyword it isn't a valid target for Arcane Initiate and is shuffled back into your deck. Revelation text on weaknesses only triggers when the card enters your hand, either through being drawn or through a card effect such as Arcane Initiate or Research Assistant.

Also, a player cannot "fail to find" if a valid target is presence. If Daisy's player didn't have any Tomes in their deck other than The Necronomicon and used the reaction on Research Assistant they would be forced to choose The Necronomicon. Similarly, if Agnes uses Arcane Initiate and reveals two non-spells coupled with Dark Memory she will be forced to place Dark Memory into her hand.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Your searching your deck. If you choose the necronomicon then it's revelation effects go off. As the card says search the top 3 cards of your deck for a spell and draw it. The draw happens after the search and revelation only goes off when your draw the card.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Cool, thanks! It happened like four times in one game, so I wanted to be sure I was playing it correctly.

Arcane Initiate is now probably one of my favorite cards, and I honestly find myself playing more Mystic cards out of Daisy's deck than Seeker cards, even when I draw the Seeker cards. I think her ludicrously high Sanity makes it easier to eat some of the horror costs of the Mystic cards, and her high Intelligence makes investigating a breeze even without help. It makes me wonder if I should just play Agnes instead, but I'd probably miss the easy investigating.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Cool, thanks! It happened like four times in one game, so I wanted to be sure I was playing it correctly.

Arcane Initiate is now probably one of my favorite cards, and I honestly find myself playing more Mystic cards out of Daisy's deck than Seeker cards, even when I draw the Seeker cards. I think her ludicrously high Sanity makes it easier to eat some of the horror costs of the Mystic cards, and her high Intelligence makes investigating a breeze even without help. It makes me wonder if I should just play Agnes instead, but I'd probably miss the easy investigating.

All those things you mentioned about horror make Agnes a murder machine, thanks to her character ability. Free(ish) unavoidable damage is Real Good.

I think she may be the only character who can realistically solo the Rougarou campaign thanks to that ability.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Agnes is my girlfriend's investigator of choice until Lola Hayes comes out, and let me tell you, she's a great partner for a Roland Banks who is focused on his Seeker side. Scrye alone would make her amazing, but her ability to roll up on and slaughter just about anyone with a little planning means I usually just have to hold out against a single boss monster attack before it goes down.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ConfusedUs posted:

All those things you mentioned about horror make Agnes a murder machine, thanks to her character ability. Free(ish) unavoidable damage is Real Good.

I think she may be the only character who can realistically solo the Rougarou campaign thanks to that ability.

I've found Agnes not to be quite as murderous due to her ability's once per phase restriction and her ability dealing exactly 1 damage no matter how much sanity damage she takes at once. Though using Forbidden Knowledge in the Mythos and Upkeep phases does help a lot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Orange Devil posted:

I've found Agnes not to be quite as murderous due to her ability's once per phase restriction and her ability dealing exactly 1 damage no matter how much sanity damage she takes at once. Though using Forbidden Knowledge in the Mythos and Upkeep phases does help a lot.

Her ability is only part of her power. Don't forget about Shriveling!

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Got The Sands of Harad for Christmas and it's really good and thematic but Southron Champion pulling the one copy of Southron Captain (instead of say, one of the five Umbar Sentries) is one of those awful swingy moments where you wonder if Arkham might be the future.

Although, a giant screaming madman racing down from the hills to chop your elves to bits while they have no trees to scamper up is pretty funny.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if they will retheme the Warhammer Quest card game or if they will just let it die and let Arkham Horror mostly take its place. Seems like a lot of wasted R&D, unless it was just repurposed for Arkham Horror (I haven't played either, but have Arkham on the way).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think FFG lost rights to everything Warhammer recently. They definitely lost 40k (not sure if Warhammer Quest is different).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ConfusedUs posted:

I think FFG lost rights to everything Warhammer recently. They definitely lost 40k (not sure if Warhammer Quest is different).

Yeah, everything that was owned by GW. Wasn't limited only to Warhammer stuff; there's other GW-owned games that will be going out of print as well.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Just speculating on whether they will re-brand the Warhammer Quest ACG and try and recoup some R&D investment. Descent Quest?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'd play the hell out of that. It was a great system, just needs regular content like the LCGs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Arkham Horror LCG deckbuilders question.

When do you pick the random weakness? After the rest of the deck is built? When the character chassis is chosen? Before characters are chosen?

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

PJOmega posted:

Arkham Horror LCG deckbuilders question.

When do you pick the random weakness? After the rest of the deck is built? When the character chassis is chosen? Before characters are chosen?

I just shuffle the weakness in after the deck is otherwise complete so that I don't even see what it is when shuffling in.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

I just shuffle the weakness in after the deck is otherwise complete so that I don't even see what it is when shuffling in.

This man does it right.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Unfortunately the expansion features a basic weakness which is a permanent (and thus starts in play) and which has an impact on your setup conditions (start with fewer resources) so you won't be able to blind shuffle in a weakness anymore.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
The deck building rules for the Core Set specify that you add in a random basic weakness after constructing your deck. That's rules as written.

Obviously feel free to choose whatever you like for theme, or do it randomly if that's your thing.

If the game ever instructs you to add more weaknesses later, it will describe clearly how to go about doing that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Unfortunately the expansion features a basic weakness which is a permanent (and thus starts in play) and which has an impact on your setup conditions (start with fewer resources) so you won't be able to blind shuffle in a weakness anymore.

Unless you're playing with a friend, in which case I intend to Indian Poker this poo poo 100% of the time.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I just picked up AH LCG as just a single core set. In Netrunner, the decklists in the manual are much weaker than the ones the community put together. Has the community got better lists for the core investigators, or are the stock ones fine?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

The deck building rules for the Core Set specify that you add in a random basic weakness after constructing your deck. That's rules as written.

Obviously feel free to choose whatever you like for theme, or do it randomly if that's your thing.

If the game ever instructs you to add more weaknesses later, it will describe clearly how to go about doing that.

I've always thought this was a dumb rule both thematically (yeah, I do know I'm paranoid/the mob is after me/whatever) and mechanically (due to cards that let you search your deck and throwing randomness in that you cannot plan for)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

It's not that big of a deal, actually. Just make the random weakness deck, flip all 'permanent' cards face up, the rest face down. Shuffle, pull one at random. If it's a face up card, it's a 'permanent', otherwise shuffle it into your deck.

Plavski posted:

I just picked up AH LCG as just a single core set. In Netrunner, the decklists in the manual are much weaker than the ones the community put together. Has the community got better lists for the core investigators, or are the stock ones fine?

2-core constructed decks are probably 50-100% better than the core lists. If you have a single core though, there's not much to construct, you can swap around the neutrals a bit but that's it.

I expect that the next cycle of scenarios will be quite a lot more difficult than the core ones (at least the two first). Expect that core lists won't be able to complete the missions unless playing on easy. They are ok for a playthrough of the core scenarios though, but that's about it.

Zerf fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 30, 2016

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Fat Samurai posted:

I've always thought this was a dumb rule both thematically (yeah, I do know I'm paranoid/the mob is after me/whatever) and mechanically (due to cards that let you search your deck and throwing randomness in that you cannot plan for)

While the rules state that you add the weakness after deckbuilding, you are allowed to look through your deck prior to playing. It's only that some players want to be surprised by the weakness so they house-rule against it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Plavski posted:

Yo, I just managed to beat the campaign (standard difficulty) with a single core today. Not having the second one hurts, but it's more bearable when playing with a single investigator - it gives you some nice leeway, as you can stock up on cantrip neutral skills and ditch some of the worst chaff. It also helps that the first scenario is basically a tutorial*, so you can grab some of the upgraded cards as a second copy equivalent before poo poo gets serious.

I managed it with Skids, who's good all around, his main weakness being quite draw-reliant to tackle 4-shroud locations (be prudent about your intelligence boosters!). While I thought Roland would be the #1 solo investigator - able to both power through enemies and sleuth decently - I'm starting to think he's actually a better team player. Going solo, he's both kind of gambling on drawing enemies rather than treacheries and, with his low evasion score, kind of boned if you get caught without ammo or before you draw your weapons. Conversely, while I thought Daisy will be completely unworkable solo, she's actually more of a coin toss - the key issue being if you can leverage your card draw and tutoring to grab some spells before you get too dunked on by enemies.

I probably won't touch Agnes at all without the second core; similarly, I'm not sure Wendy really has any gameplan if working with just singletons.

Having said that, any word on when Dunwich hits the streets? I kinda want to grab the other core together with it, for shipping reasons, but I'm also burning inside thinking of infinite money double-machete Skids backed by spell-slinging card-effect clue gathering Agnes, yet am too lazy to draw proxies.

* At least with a single dude. Bosses with scaling HP are night and day for single/multiple investigators.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Dunwich Legacy is estimated to arrive Jan. 12th.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Another Arkham Horror question. Can you only evade enemies that you are engaged with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

PJOmega posted:

Another Arkham Horror question. Can you only evade enemies that you are engaged with?

Yes, unless there's card text that specifically says otherwise. See the last bullet point under Evade Action in the rules reference.