Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

swims posted:

So in the upgrade trees on the top middle there is the "cruise around in Bentley" reward and there's the Lambo and the Mini Cooper ones in the other trees.

Does that mean you spend the points and rent the car for a limited time or does that mean you buy it and keep it?

You spend the points and the car is yours forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are the NASCAR or Porsche expansion packs good?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The Porsche pack is worth it for vir tbh.and if you like Nascar the Nascar pack is good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

geeves posted:

Now that football is nearly finished, I'm going to setup a quick 5-week M3 season to start in late January. The season will start with the E30 and end with the E92. 5th week will be your pick of M3 possibly at the full Nurburgring, Le Mans w/chicanes or VIR East/West. The Porsche pack will also be required (sorry poors) because VIR will be one of the stops and racing on it is awesome.

• Spec A700 - with my tune for each*. All of the builds can compete with each other (I run them within 1-2 seconds at Spa ~2:34ish and COTA-W ~1:43ish)
  • The races will be longer. Perhaps long enough to require two pit stops. But total time for each race, qualifying to finish, will be close to an hour / hour fifteen tops. The races will be a time limit to enforce this, so no Howdy timer needed.
  • 10 minute qualifying round (if we do Nurburgring, the GP circuit will be used for qualifying).
  • Forza League rules for start order: Fastest clean lap gets the pole.
  • Fastest dirty qualifier or last qualifier (if all are clean) picks start type & time of day if night is available.
  • No. rain. ever. gently caress that.
  • Sundays, Sundays, Sundays - I'm too busy with work and studying to schedule this during the week. I'm also opening it to non-goons as well, so I want to have a time that Euro/UK people can join. Probably 2pm EST.

*I may change the Tune requirement so you can build your own (no 3rd party tunes) or use mine. This might give a little bit of variety in pit stop strategy depending on your engine. The tunes I've created have minimal changes to the default tune. Tire Pressure, Ride Height, ARB, Aero... Mostly to help with mid-corner understeer.

Let's start this week!

If we could start at 1 Eastern it would be perfect though. What do you think?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
I'll race. I play puck on Sundays, but it's usually later. Early afternoon EST should work.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Let's start this week!

If we could start at 1 Eastern it would be perfect though. What do you think?

That works out well!

Gutbomb: Can you do races based on Time? Like set the clock for 45min?

Week 1:
E30 at Spa
Tune should be shared under KimJongUnOnAPug
10 min ghosted qualifying
Time race @ 45 min or ~17 laps.

That hopefully should keep the total time to around an hour.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Car pack viddy and info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd0cRym5jCg

2017 Aston Martin DB11
2016 Cadillac ATS-V
1985 Holden HDT VK Commodore Group A
2016 Honda Civic Type-R
1970 Honda S800
1990 Renault Alpine GTA Le Mans
2016 Vauxhall Corsa VXR

Available tomorrow.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Interesting.

We need a Eurobanger pack with Trabants and Ladas in it because :lol:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Still no sw20 :argh:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I had the urge to make a lovely flyer for this Sunday

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

geeves posted:

That works out well!

Gutbomb: Can you do races based on Time? Like set the clock for 45min?

Week 1:
E30 at Spa
Tune should be shared under KimJongUnOnAPug
10 min ghosted qualifying
Time race @ 45 min or ~17 laps.

That hopefully should keep the total time to around an hour.

Timed races don't calculate who wins correctly. It's been a problem since at least forza 3. Really stupid. That's why I always just did races with lots of laps instead of timed races.

For qualifying what you do is a set number of laps that will last 10 minutes. Set the grid order to "fastest lap of previous race : ascending" and it will put the grid in the order of fastest clean laps then fastest dirty laps.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2017

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Timed races don't calculate who wins correctly. It's been a problem since at least forza 3. Really stupid. That's why I always just did races with lots of laps instead of timed races.

For qualifying what you do is a set number of laps that will last 10 minutes. Set the grid order to "fastest lap of previous race : ascending" and it will put the grid in the order of fastest clean laps then fastest dirty laps.

Good to know. I may bump up the race to 20-21 laps. It will make things interesting pit stop wise. Hotlapping I can get 11 laps before running out of fuel. Not sure what will happen under race conditions. I don't want to force quickstops. That's lame.

Edit: http://soulglo.com/m3tourage/

geeves fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 9, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love how even with upgraded tires the game treats the puddles on Sebring like they are 5 feet deep.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I love how even with upgraded tires the game treats the puddles on Sebring like they are 5 feet deep.

Better handling tires generally have less ability to evacuate water due to larger tread blocks and less groves. It would make sense that upgraded tires react poorly over puddles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zinjnok posted:

Better handling tires generally have less ability to evacuate water due to larger tread blocks and less groves. It would make sense that upgraded tires react poorly over puddles.

Yes, logically speaking, in real life stock or street tires would be better. Or, a specific rain tire, but that isn't available. In the game, none of them are any good. It's like you're driving with Linglong tires.

Obviously they overdid it a bit to show off the new rain feature.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm off Sun-Mon so I'll try to get some practice laps in and join you folks on Sunday. I love VIR but haven't been on it in ages.

I find Spa to be very difficult in this car.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 11, 2017

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I won't be able to make it to bimmer races on Sunday:( Hopefully next week.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm off Sun-Mon so I'll try to get some practice laps in and join you folks on Sunday. I love VIR but haven't been on it in ages.

I find Spa to be very difficult in this car.

Using my tune?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
My new xbox still hasnt come in the mail, so im missing this week. Should be available next sunday!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CharlesM posted:

Yes, logically speaking, in real life stock or street tires would be better. Or, a specific rain tire, but that isn't available. In the game, none of them are any good. It's like you're driving with Linglong tires.

Obviously they overdid it a bit to show off the new rain feature.

forza 7 needs rain tires

also it needs dynamic weather

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Dynamic weather (and weather in general) are those things that seem cool until you're in a sim with them and then they become annoying. Rain racing sucks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Rain racing would be fine if the sim has proper pit settings and poo poo. Unfortunately I haven't found a game that does both well.

Actually F1 2106 handles dynamic weather decently now that I think about it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

geeves posted:

Using my tune?
Yeah, but I'm just out of practice racing Motorsport. I'm having trouble braking and transferring weight to fight understeer. I just need to practice tonight and focus on finding braking points and bringing my laptimes down. I dunno if I can focus for a 45 minute race but we'll see. One glance away from the line and I'm in the wall, sometimes.

I'll turn ghost car on and settle in for some practice after work.

P.S. - Rain racing sucks rear end except in Horizon.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
one thing I do like is how puddles can change the lines up on tired old tracks that most players run blindfolded

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

financially racist posted:

forza 7 needs rain tires

also it needs dynamic weather

Have you seen the new footage of Project CARS 2 yet? It's getting rally racing and snow.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thief posted:

one thing I do like is how puddles can change the lines up on tired old tracks that most players run blindfolded

I wish the puddles weren't static. Be nice to have some displacement.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to see Forza 7 already but I know we are going to have to wait for Project Scorpio to finally be shown off.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Dr. Faustus posted:

P.S. - Rain racing sucks rear end except in Horizon.

GutBomb posted:

Dynamic weather (and weather in general) are those things that seem cool until you're in a sim with them and then they become annoying. Rain racing sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GutBomb posted:

f1 2013 made me a true believer in dynamic weather. in fact it was the best thing about the game and it made long races so much cooler. it'd be fantastic for long races in forza.

and rain racing rules in forza, being in a lobby where the chucklefucks voted random instead of watkins glen made us get nordschleife rain and it was one of the most fun things i've ever done in any forza ever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I too am still wounded from project cars dynamic weather

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

Have you seen the new footage of Project CARS 2 yet? It's getting rally racing and snow.

man i ain't even played pcars 1 yet, i am still too addicted to kerbal space program and noted lovely game world of tanks console edition to play anything else really

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

financially racist posted:

man i ain't even played pcars 1 yet, i am still too addicted to kerbal space program and noted lovely game world of tanks console edition to play anything else really

its worth trying just for the california highways

also willow springs which i don't remember in any other games tbh

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Thief posted:

its worth trying just for the california highways

also willow springs which i don't remember in any other games tbh

I love that track. It's in Gran Turismo 6 as well.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I saw that p cars is going to be games for gold on the 16th.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Geeves are you hosting this thing today or am I? I'd rather not but I can if you need

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'm hosting. Setting up a lobby in about five minutes or so.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Come on, fuckos. Racing time

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

This week at Spa was fun despite it just being Gutbomb and me :v: We did have one pubbie show up, but he wrecked out midway on Radillion and quit out.

VIR Full is a more challenging track and I hope more show up next Sunday!

The flyer should say VIR Full :ugh:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'll have a car ready, but I learned today that when it's my "Saturday" and I'm in bed with the choice to sleep in or get up like it's a workday (I work PM shift) the bed wins. I didn't stand up until 1:45. Sorry, even as bad as I would have driven I still would have enjoyed hanging out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll have a car ready, but I learned today that when it's my "Saturday" and I'm in bed with the choice to sleep in or get up like it's a workday (I work PM shift) the bed wins. I didn't stand up until 1:45. Sorry, even as bad as I would have driven I still would have enjoyed hanging out.

Booo, you whore.

• Locked thread