Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

hold on have you seen the original This Is EVE trailer?

If not, do yourself a favour and look that up right now

I just watched it and yeah, that was inspiring hearing them get all excited when it worked out. Sadly it didn't end with the ARGGHHH freakout in the parody (which had me busting a gut with laughter).

I can see why people go nuts for PVP stuff in games if it is like that, but it's never really been something I like. I think I'll be very content just enjoying space and asteroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I just watched it and yeah, that was inspiring hearing them get all excited when it worked out. Sadly it didn't end with the ARGGHHH freakout in the parody (which had me busting a gut with laughter).

I can see why people go nuts for PVP stuff in games if it is like that, but it's never really been something I like. I think I'll be very content just enjoying space and asteroids.

i want your av

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

a j4g calling me a redditor rofl

Can you take a step back and just realize how much of a retarded nerd you sound thanks

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Eve is Real, I was There

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

This is the source of that guy screaming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmWaz_UTBQ

It was during the Alliance Tournament, a yearly in-game PVP tournament CCP put together where the winners get special limited ships that are only available once (making them worth a bunch of money and have some pretty silly stats).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

This is the source of that guy screaming - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcmWaz_UTBQ

It was during the Alliance Tournament, a yearly in-game PVP tournament CCP put together where the winners get special limited ships that are only available once (making them worth a bunch of money and have some pretty silly stats).

Oh my god, its amazing!

Apologies friend, it is for moderators of the Games forum called Videogames.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Can you take a step back and just realize how much of a retarded nerd you sound thanks

classic liberal, complain about hate speech and then use hate speech

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Videogames pretend I reported this because I can't on the Android app.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

Oh my god, its amazing!

Apologies friend, it is for moderators of the Games forum called Videogames.

There's some great recordings of EVE people from over the years.

This is the source of the "ARMOR HACS! ARMORRRR HACS!!!" bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kGGW0UlPA

There's also this clip of two of the guys in my player group dying to NPCs that are fairly powerful in a dumb way, and having an argument about it which is pretty funny - https://soundcloud.com/gsen/grath-and-madcat-vs-incursion-rats

They then argued for like a week about what happened, and ended up listening to the recording someone made of the situation and argued even more lmao.

Keep in mind, they sound angry at one another but they don't genuinely hate each other its just one of them losing his calm because they died in a dumb way that could've been avoided.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 8, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

please dont do that transphobic stuff, even in the eve thread

its not good or cool

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Because nerds are both a protected class and such a marginalized group of people

If my eyes could roll any harder my optic nerves would snap

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Double shitpost

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

Edit - The bit with JEFFRAIDER is from one of my EVE videos :sun:

The RnK pipe bomb was a bit redundant as no one outside of Eve and most people in Eve will have no idea what is happening. The ships aren't even exploding, just vanishing.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Because nerds are both a protected class and such a marginalized group of people

If my eyes could roll any harder my optic nerves would snap

But I thought all lives mattered

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

really hitting all the squares on the shitbaby bingo aren't you

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yours sure as hell doesn't if you measure your worth on the video games you play

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bonewitch posted:

really hitting all the squares on the shitbaby bingo aren't you

its just too easy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Despera posted:

Ill do that, but you are getting the parody instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmS9vcVNr5A

This isn't a parody though.

"This is Eve: ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" is the most accurate description of this game possible.

Dadbuck
Apr 14, 2008

Hate the game, not the playa

Phi230 posted:

A redditor being a piece of poo poo what a surprise

Reddit being liberal is a joke. Reddit is a shithole that has produced hate speech to such a level dozens have died as a result of crimes committed by those radicalized by reddit hate speech.

Dylan Storm Roof frequented reddit, and the largest hate communities the internet has really spawned have all been on reddit.

It is worse than that.

Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik were both redditors, and they frequented the /r/Jihad subreddit. Chris Harper Mercer was well-known as a moderator and high karma poster on /r/guns and /r/IhateUmpqua. Most of the Twin Peaks shooting particapants were known to be regulars of /r/harley and /r/outlawbikers. Ronald Lee Haskell was known to be active in both /r/shotgunposse, /r/jailbait and /r/ontheDL

Furthermore, it is widely known that Robert Mugabe, Xi Jinping, Kim Jong-un, Vladimir Putin, and Bashar al-assad are all regular sharing tips and tricks at /r/autocracywithoutborders. Raul Castro and his brother Fidel both are known as thought leaders on /r/neoreactionary where their magnum opus on "converting from communism to a feudal monarchy" received 10 gold, and 2500 upvotes.

Redditors truly are the scrum of the earth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

The RnK pipe bomb was a bit redundant as no one outside of Eve and most people in Eve will have no idea what is happening. The ships aren't even exploding, just vanishing.

Yeah, even though I probably sound terribly ignorant by asking this, but what was up with that? I know ship explosions in EVE are basically just like Roman candles fizzling out in space, but just vanishing? Did the guy who made the recording use the wrong graphics settings?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini posted:

Yeah, even though I probably sound terribly ignorant by asking this, but what was up with that? I know ship explosions in EVE are basically just like Roman candles fizzling out in space, but just vanishing? Did the guy who made the recording use the wrong graphics settings?

The wrecks get instantly popped by the smart bombs so it appears as if the ships are basically just phasing out of existence.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dadbuck posted:

Redditors truly are the scrum of the earth.

agreed badposter, agreed

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Venom Snake posted:

The wrecks get instantly popped by the smart bombs so it appears as if the ships are basically just phasing out of existence.
Smartbombs don't do anything to wrecks. I think CCP just chose not to render the wrecks when they recreated the scene.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LemonDrizzle posted:

Smartbombs don't do anything to wrecks. I think CCP just chose not to render the wrecks when they recreated the scene.

Really? I thought that they just changed them to do less damage. Ah well I'm dumb then :downs:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Dadbuck posted:

SA is supposed to be the example of "good posting" :airquote:

goodposting steals food from Lowtax' dinner table.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Venom Snake posted:

Really? I thought that they just changed them to do less damage. Ah well I'm dumb then :downs:

Nope! I'm pretty sure it might still show that you're hitting the wrecks, but it doesn't do any damage.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

its just too easy

Your posting can be hugely improved. Please do so.

In other news, I just spent a very chill hour flying around in space and mining. It's a really pretty game. Good lord I had some fun!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yay videogames! cool

also in unrelated news

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/718548673383309312

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoGames posted:

In other news, I just spent a very chill hour flying around in space and mining. It's a really pretty game. Good lord I had some fun!

Nice to hear!

Were you in a Venture (small yellow ship that sort of looks like a squashed podracer)?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Unfunny Poster posted:

Nice to hear!

Were you in a Venture (small yellow ship that sort of looks like a squashed podracer)?

It was this fat ibis thingy. Like a strange sort of black. I was cruising back and forth between a space station and some asteroids about 20km away. Just back and forth. And I stopped a few belters.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I feel as though I should pull security for you while you mine so that no one steals your light.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah that makes sense. Ibis' are the free ship you get if you dock in a station you have no other ships in if your character is Caldari. There are missions you can do in the starter area that give you free ships, like the mining frigate called a Venture for the mission line that focuses on mining/ore processing.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

Some of my fondest memories were from my newbie days in Syndicate mining Crokite ore which is known for its high levels of Zydrine when refined. Zydrine was tremendously expensive back in the day, which meant I could make filthy amounts of ISK relative to my character's skillpoint levels by mining just in a cheap tech 1 Amarr frigate. It was fun to sit on comms with goons and make loads of money, and then come up with plans for what else I wanted to do with that money. In my case it led to more PvE and PvP activities, but in your case it could very well lead to gigantic freighters for hauling ventures or perhaps starting up your own area of industry or blueprint research.

Glad to hear you had fun!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VideoGames posted:

the interface can be really... really hard to get used to. there are still tabs that i find and have never seen before in my life. i would absolutely recommend doing the tutorial, and i think there are a few good new player guides that can help you figure out the 10 million different menus the game has and start your eve career as a chill miner/producer/researcher guy.

for now if all you want to do is goof around in safe space, i don't recommend joining any of the spergy space guilds we all yammer on about, it will just make other people want to blow ya up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you ever get bored of mining asteroids, you can go to gas clouds with a specific module for your ship and college the resources out of that. I don't remember if it's still lucrative to do that in a C1 Wormhole, but about 2 years ago it was really good money for a newbie.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is the first MMO I've played as well. None of the others really interested me.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh yeah that makes sense. Ibis' are the free ship you get if you dock in a station you have no other ships in if your character is Caldari. There are missions you can do in the starter area that give you free ships, like the mining frigate called a Venture for the mission line that focuses on mining/ore processing.

This sounds interesting. I did put my skill thing on mining but then I got distracted by staring at space and cruising about asteroids. I should look into it more when I can.

Siets posted:

but in your case it could very well lead to gigantic freighters for hauling ventures or perhaps starting up your own area of industry or blueprint research.

Glad to hear you had fun!

Thank you, and the former thing you said sounds really intriguing. You can create entire hauling ventures?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you ever get bored of mining asteroids, you can go to gas clouds with a specific module for your ship and college the resources out of that. I don't remember if it's still lucrative to do that in a C1 Wormhole, but about 2 years ago it was really good money for a newbie.

It can still be decent. There are only really one or two types of wormhole gas that are worth a decent amount per fully loaded venture now, but it's not terrible.

Not terrible being anywhere from 40-50 million per venture load

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

VideoGames posted:

VideoGames posted:

It was this fat ibis thingy. Like a strange sort of black. I was cruising back and forth between a space station and some asteroids about 20km away. Just back and forth. And I stopped a few belters.

:shobon:

As much as I'm a completely cynical bitter vet this brings me back to my first days playing eve online. Please continue Capsuleer VideoGames :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What are the most profitable/fun modes of combat? Should i be doing mining and other non combat things to fuel my fighting instead?

Does EVE have a stock market

• Locked thread