Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The General posted:

So you guys warned me that piecing together a CPU could be costly long term through dead parts and prices falling (which still may happen).

The real problem is the project is just getting out of hand cost wise. I'm using Canadian funds, but case, cpu and power supply later, I'm at $800, and it's just going to get worse.

You'll need other components beside that video card too so better save up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Video card, some sort of heat sink, ram, motherboard and a hard drive or two.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What should I do with the GTX 770 2GB, now that I've installed the GTX 1070?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Agrajag posted:

What should I do with the GTX 770 2GB, now that I've installed the GTX 1070?

Ebay?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Too much of a hassle to do that and it's the 2GB version, so I doubt it's worth anything. I'm more inclined to looking for some other use for the 770.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is PhysX still a thing?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, you could use it as a PhysX card (don't) or to mine cryptocurrency (don't) or just give it to someone you know who has something much worse. Not a lot else you can do with a GPU.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Welp, I guess I'll keep it as a backup.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Give it to a friend, drop it off at Best Buy/Staples for recycling (do this with all old electronic devices), or just dust it off and store it in a static bag for now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Agrajag posted:

Too much of a hassle to do that and it's the 2GB version, so I doubt it's worth anything. I'm more inclined to looking for some other use for the 770.

There are tons of sold listing on ebay for between $80 and $120 for used 2gb GTX 770s right now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sell it on SA Mart, maybe. That's where I got rid of my 750 Ti.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

A quick google shows that it does support NVMe boot but some people have had a rough time getting it to work. If you're not buying this system right now, the 960 EVO and 960 PRO are due to be released soonish and should end up being better value than the 950 PRO, so keep an eye out for those.

The PSU is definitely overkill, 500W should be plenty and gold is the usual stopping point even when you're looking to buy quality parts. I don't know about SFX power supplies (or ITX builds in general) but anything with a good review should be fine.

Also, buy 2 sticks of RAM, they're meant to work in pairs. No idea if the performance loss from losing dual channel will impact your use cases but no reason to find out.

Thanks for the pointers, especially about the 960 EVO being just around the corner. Here's a revised parts list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($160.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($165.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($427.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone RVZ02B HTPC Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1457.97

Dropped the power supply to 500W, which was basically the cost of the second RAM stick (32GB is hilarious overkill, but 16GB felt too constricting). Also increased the cooler to one rated higher than 45W, since the 6700k is 91W before any overclocking :v:. If I pull the trigger in the next week or so, I'll use the 850 EVO as a boot disk while I wait for the 960 to come out in its 250GB size.

That just leaves me with one burning question: am I completely insane trying to build a VR-capable computer with the intent of putting it in a hard-shell carry-on while traveling? (The RVZ02 is small enough that I think it would actually fit into many carry-on bags. No need to check it and hope that the baggage people are as gentle as I would be!)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone have experience with GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Socket 1151 Intel Z170 Chipset? I never used gigabyte but that mini-itx board looks future proof and at a good price point.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Grundulum posted:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.88 @ OutletPC)

Are flat heatsink/coolers more beneficial than the upright ones?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Are flat heatsink/coolers more beneficial than the upright ones?

The RVZ02B case doesn't look like it has a whole lot of room for upright coolers. You're almost surely correct that upright coolers would be more effective, if one would fit into the case. I pulled that item from PCPartPicker's list of compatible parts. From a quick check of the top 20 coolers, it doesn't look like I'll get an upright unit in there.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Housh posted:

Anyone have experience with GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Socket 1151 Intel Z170 Chipset? I never used gigabyte but that mini-itx board looks future proof and at a good price point.
I've got one, though mine is the ATX model, not the mITX, so I'm not sure how helpful my experience would be for you.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I've never owned anything by GIGABYTE. Was it good build quality?

Also, I get Windows 10 IoT Core (x86) free from my school. Is that a legit version of Win 10 that can run plex media server and adobe cs? Is it gimped in any way?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I've had it since April and haven't encountered any issues with it so far.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a 'I want to play Battlefield 1 and not drop an excessive amount of cash' build anywhere?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

Is there a 'I want to play Battlefield 1 and not drop an excessive amount of cash' build anywhere?

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/xkmPxr/battlefield-1-minimum-specs-build

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thank you very much

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

Thank you very much

Define "excessive". Using an AMD processor in 2016 makes me feel weird, especially since it's targeting the minimum specs of BF1. Here's an alternate build using parts I've seen recommended many times in this thread:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ My Choice Software)
Total: $914.58

It's more expensive, yes, but it should play BF1 at well above minimum, and will ideally last you several years of gaming before you start feeling pinched by the entry-level parts. As opposed to the bargain-basement parts included in the build linked earlier.

Edit: just noticed that the min-specs build doesn't include an operating system. So tack on another $100 to the price there, which brings the price difference to $360. Possibly $340 if the CPU cooler is left off -- pretty sure the 6500 comes with a stock cooler.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 1, 2016

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've been hearing of some weird memory issues with the GTX 1070 cards due to some gddr5 modules or something. Is this something I need to be worried about and should I hold off from getting a GTX 1070 for a while? I'm trying to get a 1440p monitor and 1070 bundle for a nice upgrade to my current system.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm looking for a motherboard recommendation:

I was considering the ASUS Z170 Deluxe because I like the abundance of ports (I do music on my desktop so I always have a bunch of audio stuff plugged in), the good m.2 support, and the built in wifi/bluetooth (I try to run ethernet to my PC but I'm moving soon and it might be a while until I can get those cables run). I'm planning to get a 6700k and overclock it, and I keep reading that the ASUS software is the best at doing that, but I don't know if that's actually accurate.

Looking up motherboard reviews is proving frustrating, so is there a motherboard with a comparable feature set that's cheaper? The built in wifi isn't a dealbreaker if there's a card I can install that will keep the price down. A lot of USB ports would be nice, since running instruments through a hub can cause the occasional weird hiccup.

I'm not loyal to any particular brand, and while I do PC gaming I don't really care about any gaming specific features, I'm just going to throw a 1070 in my PC and call it a day on that front.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Ryuga Death posted:

I've been hearing of some weird memory issues with the GTX 1070 cards due to some gddr5 modules or something. Is this something I need to be worried about and should I hold off from getting a GTX 1070 for a while? I'm trying to get a 1440p monitor and 1070 bundle for a nice upgrade to my current system.

If you're referring to what I think you are, from what I saw in the GPU thread, a lot of card manufacturers have released BIOS updates recently that should fix those issues. Something about Micron memory with different timings or something like that.

Also, I have to say that Newegg has surprised me. I swear that the last time I ordered from them, unless you paid to put a rush on things, it took a day or two to process your order. I placed an order at 9pm EDT last night for everything I need sans GPU. I was in no rush so I went with the cheapest shipping option (4-7 days, I think). Everything has already shipped and is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I guess I'm building sooner than later.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone own a Cooler Master Elite 130? Looking for fan recommendations. This poo poo gonna be left on all the time. I don't want it to get loud or hot so want find the balance. Debating on going for i7 or i5 k or a lower clock to keep efficiency and stability. I want to start it off as a dedicated stream box and then get a nice GPU for the occasional gaming and adobe render box.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Housh posted:

Anyone own a Cooler Master Elite 130? Looking for fan recommendations. This poo poo gonna be left on all the time. I don't want it to get loud or hot so want find the balance. Debating on going for i7 or i5 k or a lower clock to keep efficiency and stability. I want to start it off as a dedicated stream box and then get a nice GPU for the occasional gaming and adobe render box.

Since it seems like there's only one intake, you don't want to go cheap: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-pro-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

If you haven't already bought the case, look into the Corsair Air 240.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since it seems like there's only one intake, you don't want to go cheap: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ml120-pro-120mm-premium-magnetic-levitation-fan

I don't know why this fan got me excited but I'm totally picking one up to put into the optical drive area of my case. It's like this big empty space that has space for up to 4 drives, that I'm not using, and is in line with my cpu heatsink/fan.

I'll probably use zip ties or something to keep it in place.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there video cards that work with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Monitors? I'm looking at a LG UltraFine and was wondering what the compatibility looks like with video cards.

Do they need some time of converter in general, or do TB3 video cards commonly exist?

Bumping this

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
3 $700 dollar monitors and they're only 21inch. :aaaaa:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Already bought the case and 3rd price but this case you linked has front USB 3 which would've been nice.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Agrajag posted:

3 $700 dollar monitors and they're only 21inch. :aaaaa:

They're also 204PPI with a P3 color space.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

PRADA SLUT posted:

They're also 204PPI with a P3 color space.

I'm a simple man that only needs 3 monitors that are at least 27 inches.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Agrajag posted:

I'm a simple man that only needs 3 monitors that are at least 27 inches.

You're in luck

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My computer is like 4 years old and needs some love. Specifically, I would like to get a newer video card. I want something I can play say a modern FPS at high graphic quality. I also need to get like a 5-6 TB harddrive as my two 1 and 2 TB ones have both died In the last month and I might as well have some room left over after recovering them.

This is what I am dealing with now:

Budget is flexible, I don't mind spending more to get better quality, but I don't need the super best.

Thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bongwizzard posted:

My computer is like 4 years old and needs some love. Specifically, I would like to get a newer video card. I want something I can play say a modern FPS at high graphic quality. I also need to get like a 5-6 TB harddrive as my two 1 and 2 TB ones have both died In the last month and I might as well have some room left over after recovering them.

Budget is flexible, I don't mind spending more to get better quality, but I don't need the super best.

Thanks!

First, at four years you need to look into replacing the PSU, since yours is nearing the end of its service life, unless you bought one with a seven year warranty.
Second, we need to know what resolution you're at - if it's 1080p, the answer to your question is a 1060 6GB, or if you plan on going 1440p@60Hz+, consider the 1070.
Third, since it's so damned cheap, yet is about NOT to be because the overstock won't last forever, consider 16GB of DDR3 if you currently only have 8GB. You're using a P67, so I'm not quite certain if you'd benefit from anything over DDR3-1600.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 2, 2016

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ASRock makes a version of their Extreme4 with a Type-C 3.1 port (the reviews aren't exactly stellar, though): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157675

And it's generally not a great idea to stripe SSDs.

Also, the $25 off $200 Newegg Masterpass code (MPGAMER16 for US/MPGAMERCA7 for Canada) expires in three hours, for anyone who likes saving money.

I think my edit where I said I wasn't sure if I needed to add more fans or radiators to my case or if I should get a better cooler for the CPU might've been missed.

I saw some Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 Gen 2 enclosures that used striped SSDs to get the full data rate of the connection. I could maybe stripe 2 128 GB drives to get 256 GB for what the 128 GB drive I selected costs.

zergstain fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 2, 2016

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 650
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1)
Graphics
EA221WM (1680x1050@59Hz)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA)

What should I do? Is this CPU too old to even consider Battlefield 1 or the new Call of duty?

Do I start over, or is upgrading the CPU even feasible??

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pon de Bundy posted:

CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 650
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
FOXCONN 2AB1 (CPU 1)
Graphics
EA221WM (1680x1050@59Hz)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA)

What should I do? Is this CPU too old to even consider Battlefield 1 or the new Call of duty?

According to the link Housh posted earlier on this page, Battlefield 1 is incredibly CPU-heavy, and relatively GPU-light. Your 950 is marginally insufficient in that regard (since apparently the GTX 660 is a better card for gaming? :confused:), and everything else needs replacing.

Assuming the new CoD game you're talking about is Infinite Warfare, a quick search suggests that the minimum requirements are lighter on CPU than BF1's, and identical for GPU .

Edit: I posted a build for BF1 on this page, and so far nobody has told me I'm completely off base with my suggestions.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Pon de Bundy posted:

Grundulum posted:

According to the link Housh posted earlier on this page, Battlefield 1 is incredibly CPU-heavy, and relatively GPU-light. Your 950 is marginally insufficient in that regard (since apparently the GTX 660 is a better card for gaming? :confused:), and everything else needs replacing.
The 950 is definitely a little better than the 660, from what benchmarks I could find, and their monitor is <1080p. I expect they'll be able to run the game on medium-high graphics settings, though a few people have reported worse performance in that game than benchmarks would indicate and I'm not sure what's up.

A CPU upgrade seems in order, though. A modern i5 will double your performance over that Athlon. Here's a skeleton, if you have any more details about budget or what other parts (PSU, case?) you might want to replace, let us know and we'll give you more info.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $345.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 04:02 EDT-0400