Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
US politics is way more fun at the moment. Can we impeach may?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Party Boat posted:

Any sentence of under two years can be suspended, as happened here, and in the Bashir case which was a man assaulting his wife. You're an idiot. gently caress off.

quote:

Manchester Crown Court was told the pair met in their native Pakistan and married in 2013. But Bashir was said to be a ‘controlling and dominating’ husband who told his wife what she could spend her money on and what she should wear, who she could see.

The couple had been on a day out to Rochdale Lake in April 2014 when an argument broke out about Bashir travelling to the Netherlands and he grabbed Ms Karim by her neck and was squeezing, until a member of the public threatened to go to the police.

Prosecutor Roger Brown said: “The parties went back home where the argument continued. He grabbed her neck again, so much that she said it was hurting a lot and at one point he picked up a knife and said that he would kill himself and she begged him not to.

He took her into the bathroom where he grabbed a bottle of bleach and he made her drink the bleach so she would kill herself. She spat that out as she was unable to swallow it. Then he gave her tablets from the house and told her to take them. She did but again she was unable to swallow them.

“He said to her “I want you to kill yourself.” She left the bathroom and went into the living room where the defendant called her family to tell them they had an argument and that she was not obeying him. Her family urged her to obey him and told him that she would obey.

‘’She did take photos of her injuries to her neck and to her upper arm. When making her statement she said that he grabbed her neck very hard and she thought she was going to die. She was pulling at him trying to get him to stop but he was stronger and she couldn’t stop him. After that incident he left the house and she didn’t see him for some two days.’’

Both Bashir and Woodward should be in jail

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There are huge problems with Pakistani Muslims in the UK in general and integration into a real society should be a priority.
I don't understand why nobody will address it. I'm happy to pay for immigration if there's some sort of scheme to make it work with a modern world. But if we just do what we did in the past and stick minority groups in corners and essentially ignore them, we're just making the country worse. I genuinely think a party should address this.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Both Bashir and Woodward should be in jail

And yet he isn't. Which completely undermines your claims of misandry in the justice system.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

integration into a real society should be a priority.
Well I can tell you now that it won't be any time soon for any migrant population. Capital demands mobile, nomadic labour forces. It doesn't care about how those labour forces interact with one another socially; in fact having a divided and internally hostile proletariat works directly in capital's favour because the more hostile and suspicious the general population are towards each other the less chance there is of them uniting against the groups that actually exploit them.

:capitalism:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

Well I can tell you now that it won't be any time soon for any migrant population. Capital demands mobile, nomadic labour forces. It doesn't care about how those labour forces interact with one another socially; in fact having a divided and internally hostile proletariat works directly in capital's favour because the more hostile and suspicious the general population are towards each other the less chance there is of them uniting against the groups that actually exploit them.

:capitalism:

and then you go and give them a vote on brexit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bape Culture posted:

integration into a real society should be a priority.
That would require a real society for people to integrate into, rather than a crumbling wreck painted over with the rose tinted memories of 50s English literature.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

jabby posted:

Means-testing the winter fuel allowance is another relatively OK policy that has the benefit of playing terribly with the right-wing press.

Means testing benefits is the reason we now have so many poor and disabled people in poverty and why council housing stocks have been obliterated.

Means testing the winter fuel allowance is the first step to the destruction of the winter fuel allowance.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Party Boat posted:

And yet he isn't. Which completely undermines your claims of misandry in the justice system.

When did I say Misandry?

However its clear for many years the court system goes easier on women giving them reduced sentences or suspended sentences for crimes that would land a man in jail

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Party Boat posted:

Bashir is, but he also lied about the stuff that lead the judge to consider a non-custodial sentence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Means testing benefits is the reason we now have so many poor and disabled people in poverty and why council housing stocks have been obliterated.

Means testing the winter fuel allowance is the first step to the destruction of the winter fuel allowance.
Means testing is dumb as balls. Same with the free school meals. Why not have free school meals for all kids and fund it through taxation of the bands that would normally pay for school meals, which would get rid of all the bureaucracy around testing who gets free school meals?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Both of those cases are only evidence of the fact that if you come from the right background (ie went to a good school or have a good job lined up) the courts will give you an easy ride. It's not about gender, it's about whether you come from the right society.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Guavanaut posted:

Means testing is dumb as balls. Same with the free school meals. Why not have free school meals for all kids and fund it through taxation of the bands that would normally pay for school meals, which would get rid of all the bureaucracy around testing who gets free school meals?

Meddling with free school lunches is a really bad idea when for some kids its going to be the only square meal they have all day.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

Because the goal, at least for means testing of things that don't have a waiting list, is destruction of those services not making them fairer? Why don't they do that? Because that's the exact opposite of the goal of means testing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Meddling with free school lunches is a really bad idea when for some kids its going to be the only square meal they have all day.
Exactly. Making it universal guarantees nobody slips through the cracks or has to spend time and effort trying to get on the program.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

When did I say Misandry?

However its clear for many years the court system goes easier on women giving them reduced sentences or suspended sentences for crimes that would land a man in jail

In general I'm willing to trust the judges who've seen far more evidence then we have relating to each case, and spent far more time considering it, instead of (to borrow the words of the Secret Barrister) snapping Occam's Razor in a political tantrum.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oberleutnant posted:

Both of those cases are only evidence of the fact that if you come from the right background (ie went to a good school or have a good job lined up) the courts will give you an easy ride. It's not about gender, it's about whether you come from the right society.

Suspended sentences aren't just reserved for the upper classes, although I don't doubt that their use correlates with how good a lawyer you're able to afford.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Guavanaut posted:

That would require a real society for people to integrate into, rather than a crumbling wreck painted over with the rose tinted memories of 50s English literature.

This, so very loving much. Give people a society to feel a part of and maybe then we can start moaning about how they won't integrate. If somebody asked you right now what British society or British culture is or is meant to be about, could you express it in anything that isn't clichéed pablum about fair play and a stiff upper lip and other manifest untruisms? Because try as I might I can't find the words.

We like chips, maybe? Cups of tea? The queen?

I'm British-born and as whitebread as they come and I'm no more integrated into British society than a fresh-off-the-plane Bangladeshi but nobody's complaining about me for not integrating, nobody's saying I need to adopt British values whatever they turn out to be because there aren't any to adopt.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoeMurphyLondon/status/865149600579166208

sweet jesus

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I didn't realise free lunches for infants was a thing. When did it come in? I definitely remember paying for my school lunch at that age in the 90s.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

peanut- posted:

I didn't realise free lunches for infants was a thing. When did it come in? I definitely remember paying for my school lunch at that age in the 90s.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/free-school-lunch-for-every-child-in-infant-school

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
As far as I remember I was on free school meals all the way through school.
I was a skiver even when I was a wee bairn, and now I still expect society to give me a free ride because I'm jealous of rich people and don't want to do an honest day's work.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
New Labour introduced the Migrant Impact Fund, designed to help fund infrastructure, housing and community services for councils with migrant populations.

In the least surprising news ever it was one of the first things the coalition government cut.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/aug/06/fund-impact-immigration-scrapped

Meanwhile the Telegraph seems to have run out of anonymous senior Labour sources to bash the leader with, since they're now trying the same thing with the Lib Dems: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/17/tim-farron-mounting-pressure-senior-lib-dems-amid-concerns-anti/

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TomViolence posted:

This, so very loving much. Give people a society to feel a part of and maybe then we can start moaning about how they won't integrate. If somebody asked you right now what British society or British culture is or is meant to be about, could you express it in anything that isn't clichéed pablum about fair play and a stiff upper lip and other manifest untruisms? Because try as I might I can't find the words.

We like chips, maybe? Cups of tea? The queen?

I'm British-born and as whitebread as they come and I'm no more integrated into British society than a fresh-off-the-plane Bangladeshi but nobody's complaining about me for not integrating, nobody's saying I need to adopt British values whatever they turn out to be because there aren't any to adopt.

Would you rather live in Pakistan?
This country isn't perfect but it's a drat sight more progressive than most of the world.

I don't think problems should be ignored just because everything else isn't utopic.

Odd that a lot of people who want to make the world nicer just want to do it by allowing x amount of people into the country without considering what happens afterwards. The perpetual ethnic underclasses are actually encouraged by people trying to do the opposite.

Everything is hosed. Hail satan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

I always had a packed lunch. I think I got money to buy a school lunch about 5 times in 13 years of schooling.

I remember a couple of kids in my primary school class who got free lunches and I'm actually amazed they got no poo poo for it considering how cunty kids can be

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I always had a packed lunch. I think I got money to buy a school lunch about 5 times in 13 years of schooling.

I remember a couple of kids in my primary school class who got free lunches and I'm actually amazed they got no poo poo for it considering how cunty kids can be

There seems to be some implicit understanding among school kids that you can give a poor kid a hard time for having poo poo trainers, but nobody ever says a word about free school lunches. That was my experience, anyway.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Would you rather live in Pakistan?
This country isn't perfect but it's a drat sight more progressive than most of the world.

You missed the whole point. It's not about wur freedoms or quality of life compared to Pakistan's, it's about having an actual vision for society that can form a basis for self-identity beyond flag or church or monarch. Prosperous, multicultural liberal societies struggle the most with this because the social terrain has been so thoroughly undercut by the privatisation of formerly public space, the secularisation and pluralisation of society and the pervasive normlessness and atomisation pushed by an individualist consumer culture. Many of these are issues brought about by an inability to deal with the new problems which have arisen from our relatively enviable material circumstances. There is no such thing as society, as satan once said, and that's our present problem.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Oberleutnant posted:

There seems to be some implicit understanding among school kids that you can give a poor kid a hard time for having poo poo trainers, but nobody ever says a word about free school lunches. That was my experience, anyway.

Rockports the shoe of choice for teenage delinquents

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

There were kids at my school that just wore wellies to school - green if your big brother was a farmer, yellow if he was a fisherman.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's amazing how tories proposing a policy can make labour partisans pro huge inheritances:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/865135032297500672

Tbf she campaigns for Kate hoey so she's an extreme on the partisan scale

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TomViolence posted:

You missed the whole point. It's not about wur freedoms or quality of life compared to Pakistan's, it's about having an actual vision for society that can form a basis for self-identity beyond flag or church or monarch. Prosperous, multicultural liberal societies struggle the most with this because the social terrain has been so thoroughly undercut by the privatisation of formerly public space, the secularisation and pluralisation of society and the pervasive normlessness and atomisation pushed by an individualist consumer culture. Many of these are issues brought about by an inability to deal with the new problems which have arisen from our relatively enviable material circumstances. There is no such thing as society, as satan once said, and that's our present problem.

I trot this line out from time to time, but I think it's true - the nation-state, as a binding agent of human society, culture, and organisation, is becoming obsolete. Capital is partly to blame, as it's gradually forcing nations to legislate themselves out of existence in a regulatory sense - opening markets, opening borders, etc. But the rise of global instant communication and mass transit are also allowing people to connect and combine culturally and socially in ways that were impossible even a generation ago.

We're on the cusp of a brave new world, and any efforts to promote more integration and identification with a national cultural identity are, I think, just desperate efforts to wind the clock back. It's not going to work.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

I trot this line out from time to time, but I think it's true - the nation-state, as a binding agent of human society, culture, and organisation, is becoming obsolete. Capital is partly to blame, as it's gradually forcing nations to legislate themselves out of existence in a regulatory sense - opening markets, opening borders, etc. But the rise of global instant communication and mass transit are also allowing people to connect and combine culturally and socially in ways that were impossible even a generation ago.

We're on the cusp of a brave new world, and any efforts to promote more integration and identification with a national cultural identity are, I think, just desperate efforts to wind the clock back. It's not going to work.

Sure, I'm not saying a collective self-identity needs a nation-state, in fact I'd prefer the nation-state to disappear altogether.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pointsofdata posted:

It's amazing how tories proposing a policy can make labour partisans pro huge inheritances:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/865135032297500672

You don't see a problem with providing care for the elderly only until they've used up the value of their home, at which point they don't own it any more?

A house is not a "huge inheritance", and even if it were this is a blatant move to concentrate more money in the hands of people far richer than single home owners.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Nations will eventually dissolve, and we'll get either a) Megacorp citizenship as in Shadowrun, or b) full communism

So yeah, megacorps

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Still beats my projection of the future which is either: being melted down into slurry to act as biofuel for a new mechanized proletariat, or a Mad Max hellscape without the cool special effects.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:rip: it was nice while it lasted

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut- posted:

Teaching infants to slack right after bith. Disgraceful. There's no such thing as a free lunch, baby.

Also you guys are way behind. I remember school food, it was pretty good actually, but we had actual kitchens who made the food from scratch. Still do, I am so glad my kids get to goto kindergarten as they always eat so well there. They're picky eaters at home and it might get a bit samey due to stresses of real life. But in kindergarten they always get a varied diet and basically, homecooked meals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_meal#Finland

Don't save on your kids! Though our idiot hellfucker government is trying!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hahaha. According to my Dad in Spain, all the (ukip/Tory) ex-pats I I'ms are acting like the sky is falling because of the winter fuel and triple lock. The ironing is delicious!

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/865119304441888768

I hope the 'Dementia Tax' name sticks.

• Locked thread