Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Lorak posted:

Do any of the minigames, this year, actually. They even updated flying to reward 50 favors on Thursday.

That surprised the poo poo out of me when I went to grind out a dance event before my daily fly this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Coq au Nandos posted:

That surprised the poo poo out of me when I went to grind out a dance event before my daily fly this afternoon.

Yeah it got me this morning too. I doubt I'll get enough to buy anything, but I can always sell them on the exchange.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Love doing this dumbass dance-off event for 15 minutes and, despite getting lolnuts for it, not having it count against my daily event progression for some reason.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Did you do it all the way through? In my experience the game only applied the daily progress upon confirming the 38th move.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chortles posted:

Did you do it all the way through? In my experience the game only applied the daily progress upon confirming the 38th move.
Alternatively, had it been less than 20 hours since the last time you got daily progress?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well I talked myself into buying the Khopesh because I love the Scimitar class.

That's it, not spending any more money on this game lol.

Is the Goon Federation team still accepting captain applications? Still working on leveling up and pimping my Khopesh but this is weirdly fun.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well I talked myself into buying the Khopesh because I love the Scimitar class.

That's it, not spending any more money on this game lol.

Is the Goon Federation team still accepting captain applications? Still working on leveling up and pimping my Khopesh but this is weirdly fun.
Post your account handle in the thread, and someone with chat invite privileges will hopefully notice and invite you to our chat channel. After that, just ask in the channel and if anyone else is on, they should be able to invite you to the fleet.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I can't believe I am actually considering reinstalling this game. Is the ARC client as lovely as ever? TBH, that client was one of the main reasons I uninstalled in the first place.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You can run the game through Steam instead, though you'll have to manually enter your Cryptic password each time into the STO launcher and use the Web site for code redemption and Zen charging.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

That may well be worth doing. I realize it was like 3-4 years ago but the Arc client fux0red my system bad back in the day. Thanks!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Kyros@dictatorhat#7526 seems to be my handle per chat.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

CrushedWill posted:

That may well be worth doing. I realize it was like 3-4 years ago but the Arc client fux0red my system bad back in the day. Thanks!

ive always just used the old standalone steam? launcher and put in my password each time and used the website to redeem codes, no way im using that ark poo poo

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

hakimashou posted:

ive always just used the old standalone steam? launcher and put in my password each time and used the website to redeem codes, no way im using that ark poo poo

Yeah, don't. Runs poorly enough that I rage quit the game over it. I'll see if I can recover my account. Thanks.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Note to self: Stop using "Fire At Will" in the NPC fleet battles, this is how Warbirds get blown the hell up.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I'm still blown away how well the acheros can turn despite it's massive hull and shields. pretty quick in a straight line too!

https://i.imgur.com/q0OYNUU.mp4

then add lock trajectory on top of that...

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I don't have any issues using the Arc launcher for entering codes, but I just use the exe to directly launch the game for playing on a regular basis.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Note to self: Stop using "Fire At Will" in the NPC fleet battles, this is how Warbirds get blown the hell up.
At endgame you'll want to have fire at will up as often as possible. While leveling, especially if you're new and are likely running a random assortment of green equipment and boff skills that you picked up while playing it'll make you die a lot.

One quick thing you can do is look for traits that help you survive. If you're fed-side, grab the Honored Dead starship trait from the exchange - should be less than 2m ec. It's a really good survival trait that's still useful even at endgame.

The other way to go is the standard way of dealing with survival in STO - increase your DPS so that you kill everything before it can kill you. Try to follow the skeleton of a good end-game build even while leveling, i.e.:
  • Pick a damage type, and get as many beam arrays of that type as you can fit on your ship. If you want a torpedo, only use one. Multi-torp builds are something you should wait for level 65 and all reps done to do.
  • Get tac consoles that boost your chosen damage type and fill your tac slots with them. If you can't find any, ask in chat if someone can craft some leveling ones for you (low-level ones are dirt cheap to craft).
  • Keep your shields at the highest mark you can run, checking the exchange and/or asking in chat for crafted ones if you don't find any while playing.
  • Run boff abilities that will help you kill things faster. I can't give exact builds here, because it heavily depends on what ship and level you currently are. But there are some guidelines.
  • For engineering, run emergency power to weapons, as high a level as you can. Run two copies if you can fit it on your ship. If you have space for more, emergency power to shields helps with survival while emergency power to engines lets you move around faster. Pick one or the other, not both. If there's still space after that, look at directed energy modulation for more DPS, reverse shield polarity for survival, or engineering team for heals.
  • In science, hazard emitters and science team for heals and cleanse. If your ship can fit it, the highest level of photonic officer you can fit will give you cooldown reduction, meaning that you can use your boff abilities more often. Which means things die faster.
  • For tac, run the highest level of beam: fire at will you can fit. Two copies (they can be different levels) if there's room. Then attack pattern beta, then look at tactical team I, then torp spread as you can fit things.
  • Set your weapons to autofire (right click on the weapon symbol so that it's outlined in green).
  • Adjust your power levels to give full power to weapons.
  • Set up a keyboard macro so every time you press spacebar it fires all your weapons and activates all your boff abilities. Every boff ability I listed above should be up as often as possible. Press spacebar a lot while fighting.
Then watch as everything surrounding you explodes. Try not to die to all the warp core explosions.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

That is pretty much what I am doing - I have my pile of plasma beams, some plasma consoles, and a little pile of boff abilities. I can kill stuff fairly fast - my last death was to a reactor core explosion when I emergency cloaked at three percent health.

I need to set up the macro and get better shields and honored dead. I saw a console that leeched shields based on the damage dealt, that is hopefully exchangeable. Where do I set up macros in STO?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Get the z-store Mogai equivalent for its console and FAW will heal you faster than you can be hurt.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That is pretty much what I am doing - I have my pile of plasma beams, some plasma consoles, and a little pile of boff abilities. I can kill stuff fairly fast - my last death was to a reactor core explosion when I emergency cloaked at three percent health.

I need to set up the macro and get better shields and honored dead. I saw a console that leeched shields based on the damage dealt, that is hopefully exchangeable. Where do I set up macros in STO?
Hopefully someone else can answer for the macros, I set mine up forever ago and don't exactly remember the details right now.

For the console, do you mean the Shield Absorptive Frequency Generator? It's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. It's warbird only and you have to buy the Valdore with dil to get it. It might still be worth it for leveling, but it's outclassed by a lot of other universal consoles. Also, lots of enemies ignore/strip shields.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yeah, that thing. I am flying a warbird, I saw it on a few STO builds to try to sustain their shields while flinging A2B beams everywhere.

Otherwise I guess I look into some other method of not dying, even if it is just having enough health to disengage and cloak the ship for repairs.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

g0del posted:

Hopefully someone else can answer for the macros, I set mine up forever ago and don't exactly remember the details right now.

macros are a bit fiddly to set up unless you know how this piece of poo poo game parses things, but here's what I use:

code:
Space "+TrayExecByTray 9 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9$$+TrayExecByTray 8 0$$+TrayExecByTray 8 1$$+TrayExecByTray 8 2$$+TrayExecByTray 8 3$$+TrayExecByTray 8 4$$+TrayExecByTray 8 5$$+TrayExecByTray 8 6$$+TrayExecByTray 8 7$$+TrayExecByTray 8 8$$+TrayExecByTray 8 9$$GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$+TrayExecByTray 8 9$$+TrayExecByTray 8 8$$+TrayExecByTray 8 7$$+TrayExecByTray 8 6$$+TrayExecByTray 8 5$$+TrayExecByTray 8 4$$+TrayExecByTray 8 3$$+TrayExecByTray 8 2$$+TrayExecByTray 8 1$$+TrayExecByTray 8 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 0"
(edit: it's all in-line but soz)

What this does is execute in order everything on trays 10 and 9. Because of the global cooldown/GCD, you have to mash it. Also your weapons will fire without loving poo poo up, as long as you have them right-clicked to set autofire, which was incidentally a major pain in the rear end with the early Wesley macros.

Copy paste that to a text file, save it in the Star Trek Online/live directory wherever you have it installed, and ingame type

code:
/bind_save_file backup.txt
/bind_load_file [NAMEOFTEXTFILE].txt
Where [NAMEOFTEXTFILE].txt is just whatever you named the copy-paste notepad file. the first one is just so you'll have a backup that you can load with the same process if somehow you gently caress up all your binds.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

HiroProtagonist posted:

macros are a bit fiddly to set up unless you know how this piece of poo poo game parses things, but here's what I use:

code:
Space "+TrayExecByTray 9 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9$$+TrayExecByTray 8 0$$+TrayExecByTray 8 1$$+TrayExecByTray 8 2$$+TrayExecByTray 8 3$$+TrayExecByTray 8 4$$+TrayExecByTray 8 5$$+TrayExecByTray 8 6$$+TrayExecByTray 8 7$$+TrayExecByTray 8 8$$+TrayExecByTray 8 9$$GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$+TrayExecByTray 8 9$$+TrayExecByTray 8 8$$+TrayExecByTray 8 7$$+TrayExecByTray 8 6$$+TrayExecByTray 8 5$$+TrayExecByTray 8 4$$+TrayExecByTray 8 3$$+TrayExecByTray 8 2$$+TrayExecByTray 8 1$$+TrayExecByTray 8 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 0"

What this does is execute in order everything on trays 10 and 9. Because of the global cooldown/GCD, you have to mash it. Also your weapons will fire without loving poo poo up, as long as you have them right-clicked to set autofire, which was incidentally a major pain in the rear end with the early Wesley macros.

Copy paste that to a text file, save it in the Star Trek Online/live directory wherever you have it installed, and ingame type

code:
Where [NAMEOFTEXTFILE].txt is just whatever you named the copy-paste notepad file. the first one is just so you'll have a backup that you can load with the same process if somehow you gently caress up all your binds.

I’ve been using this for the past few years, it’s way better than trying to edit text strings directly:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

I'm still blown away how well the acheros can turn despite it's massive hull and shields. pretty quick in a straight line too!

https://i.imgur.com/q0OYNUU.mp4

then add lock trajectory on top of that...

Back when they first came out and some people still had ideas that PVP was a thing, I got random challenged to a duel by some pubbie in a T6 scimitar ambush cannon build. Pretty dangerous alpha on that thing. I hadn't PVP'd in years at that point.

However you run the Acheros with EPTA 3 and all-in torp build (basically torp spam and beam overloads to open shields with all the Doffs & rep gear to support that) and not only did cloaked enemies get spotted from kilometers away but you never needed to do anything but fly around at full speed pulling u-turns as you flew over/under dumping torps that bypassed shields. Also a very high single target damage for PVE... which admittedly isn't the PVE focus these days.

The Acheros is a very overlooked ship.

If you want to try and re-create the build I'm referencing then I hope you can interpet this as it's the only record I kept:

I put this together to send to the guy I was duelling because he was calling bullshit on how he got zero kills. Pleasant guy after he saw how though.

Actually you can tell how old this build is/was because I still have powers doubled up. Haven't had to do that since newer traits etc meant you could get close to global cooldown on nearly everything without even trying.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 16, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

HiroProtagonist posted:

code:

code:

This worked perfectly, thank you!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, so pride tribbles stack on teammates who also have pride tribbles and it seems like it applies to boffs, so it looks like if you and all your boffs have one, you all get +12.5% crit chance?

:gaysper:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 16, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeJF posted:

Huh, so pride tribbles stack on teammates who also have pride tribbles and it seems like it applies to boffs, so it looks like if you and all your boffs have one, you all get +12.5% crit chance?

:gaysper:

Be gay do crits?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wait, I should save tribbles?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait, I should save tribbles?

Only super special ones, and only if you want to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of which, huh, apparently there's a tribble you can breed that makes you floater faster. I should get that.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

2400Z for an account wide faction agnostic JH or Rom carrier versus 8000 zen for the whole bundle https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11477183-cross-faction-support-carrier-bundle
that surely is gonna be a tough decision

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

In addition to the all-new Frigates pets, each of these starship comes equipped with an all new squadron version of an existing hangar pet. Unlike normal fighter pets, each fighter launched is actually a squadron of six fighters As each hangar bay can deploy six squadrons, each hangar bay is ultimately responsible for up to 36 fighters. These new versions can be purchased alongside the non-squadron versions in the same manner, with additional copies of the normal version available for Energy Credits, Advanced versions available for Dilithium, and Elite versions available through your Fleet, with the exception of the Scorpion Fighters, which remain available through the Romulan Reputation.

Interesting? I can't tell if you have to buy one of these carriers to unlock the squadron version of the fighters.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's not... clear. It sounds like you need the carrier to unlock the pets, but the pets themselves might be ship agnostic?

Not gonna lie, the designs are overall pretty good, the klangon one is especially the sort of brutal warthog of a boat I like from the Cryptic take on their stuff. But there's really no reason to get anything besides the jem'hadar one since it's objectively superior to the rest due to the bonus wingman mechanic and cross-faction availability. Or... probably not any of them at all since they didn't really add anything to make classic carriers better and the older JH carrier is at least 4/2 and way more mobile. :effort:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I just hope they did a bugfix pass on pet AI & control. It's freaking annoying when I hit the dock command and they start banging into the ship like little dogs trying to hump a nacelle. But this is Cryptic, the dock command will probably be turned into a self-destruct command.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

So I signed in for a bit last night. Amusing that it took me longer to find the throttle than it did to blow stuff up.

It looks like the wesley wiki is dead (unless I aam missing something). Is there a good site to check out for fittings, etc? Half my macro bars are empty, not surprising since I have been gone for like 4 years.

EDIT: Also can somebody DM me info on the Discord server?

CrushedWill fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 17, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Could also use discord info but don't have PMs alas. Haven't seen the chat invite either, but I'm working on my beam Khopesh and leveling so it's not like I have anything useful to contribute.

Do the Scorpion fighters need replacing?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

CrushedWill posted:

So I signed in for a bit last night. Amusing that it took me longer to find the throttle than it did to blow stuff up.

It looks like the wesley wiki is dead (unless I aam missing something). Is there a good site to check out for fittings, etc? Half my macro bars are empty, not surprising since I have been gone for like 4 years.

EDIT: Also can somebody DM me info on the Discord server?

All of the above questions for me too--a cute girl convinced me to watch Discovery and I did and now I've logged into this and made a new captain to relearn some things before trying to muck out my main guy's inventory and everything.

I was also wondering if there was a site with galleries of different beams; thinking I wanna try antiproton specialization since I never did that, but I don't think I've ever really built for phasers either.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

For good build advice and complete builds, check out r/stobuilds. The wiki basically shut down because the subreddit contains much more comprehensive info, including builds by at least one goon.

I’d also recommend checking out r/sizertest, which is just builds from STO guru Sizer. She quit the stobuilds community but her stuff is incredible and worth reading.

Here’s a comparison of every beam visual in the game, via Reddit as well:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

For good build advice and complete builds, check out r/stobuilds. The wiki basically shut down because the subreddit contains much more comprehensive info, including builds by at least one goon.

I’d also recommend checking out r/sizertest, which is just builds from STO guru Sizer. She quit the stobuilds community but her stuff is incredible and worth reading.

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

CrushedWill posted:

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate it :)

Just be aware that some of the most frequent contributors are insanely space rich, so the more advanced builds are usually going to be aspirational. There’s a guide on the STObuilds sidebar called Prelude to 10 Forward, which was written partially out of frustration once it became apparent that the game’s new community manager was dogshit at building spaceships.