Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

ZombieLenin posted:

My main I don’t think I would ever sell; however, the character in question, like I said was just a hauler alt to me despite the fact she had 90 million SP.

At the time there was no plex, so I was paying cash anyway and I just trained her to fo the opposite of pvping, but the thing is... I never used or did any of the poo poo she had the skills for.

Basically I wasnt in a null alliance, and was a mostly ‘self sufficient’ pirate in low-sec. I had a a second alt who I ran level 4s with very rarely if I needed extra money...

So stupidly when I got offered 30 bill for my ‘hauler’ I was like, “I will never need isk again!” I believed it so much I sold my mission runner too.

Unfortunately... I never considered eveflation.

I did this same poo poo and ended up with a JF alt to haul all the poo poo around my carriers/super needed.

Glad I did it because holy gently caress JF prices these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Pomp posted:

i stared at this for ages before figuring out i was in the eve thread

Hey, the MER is good for something other than smugging about how Delve is worth more than the rest of the galaxy (even if smugging is its best and highest purpose).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cobbsprite posted:

As a relative newbee, how bad is eveflation, really?

Lets put it this way... I sold that character maybe 2013, which was before the era of skill injectors... now that character would sell for over 80 billion, in the era of skill injectors.

To put it another way, if you have 30 billion liquid isk now, you are doing very well for yourself... back in 2013 I felt rich as gently caress with that wallet balance.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ZombieLenin posted:

To put it another way, if you have 30 billion liquid isk now, you are doing very well for yourself... back in 2013 I felt rich as gently caress with that wallet balance.

Holy poo poo. Really? I have less than4b total assets across my three accounts. Clearly I suck at money making.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

ZombieLenin posted:

Lets put it this way... I sold that character maybe 2013, which was before the era of skill injectors... now that character would sell for over 80 billion, in the era of skill injectors.

I'm sitting on just over 50b liquid and feel barely more than lower middle-class.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hrrrm. Would a 60mill SP gallente flyer from 2008 sell for anything notable nowadays, then?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mr. Pickles posted:

Hrrrm. Would a 60mill SP gallente flyer from 2008 sell for anything notable nowadays, then?

Character sales are largely dead. If you want to sell a character nowadays, you use Skill Extractors on their brain and suck the good poo poo out until you're at 5M skill points, at which point you can no longer suck. Character sales technically still exist, but 95% of the time you'll get an offer that will be below what you would have made by just using skill extractors and selling the injectors.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

extracting would cost you 42b in extractors for 120 then you can sell them for about 101b

ask nolak for a very shortterm loan and enjoy your newfound wealth

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Character sales are largely dead. If you want to sell a character nowadays, you use Skill Extractors on their brain and suck the good poo poo out until you're at 5M skill points, at which point you can no longer suck. Character sales technically still exist, but 95% of the time you'll get an offer that will be below what you would have made by just using skill extractors and selling the injectors.

Plus character sales need $20 or a special petition to take 1000 plex, so they're kinda a hassle.

But that's interesting. If you price an guy equal to the full SP value including first 5m plus the skillbooks, you don't get takers? That's a bargain compared to injectors for any character in the 50m+ zone where injectors get really inefficient. I guess the new whales aren't looking past skill injectors -- maybe if someone is already set on spending $500 for a character, they're also set on it being their character.

Also probably indicates that the old market really needed the character tycoons to be middle-men and provide liquidity.

e:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ask nolak for a very shortterm loan and enjoy your newfound wealth
the price spread is pretty poo poo right now IMHO.
extractors are high because winter and injectors just dived after everyone went on a spree with the holiday booster

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 9, 2019

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Plus character sales need $20 or a special petition to take 1000 plex, so they're kinda a hassle.

But that's interesting. If you price an guy equal to the full SP value including first 5m plus the skillbooks, you don't get takers? That's a bargain compared to injectors for any character in the 50m+ zone where injectors get really inefficient. I guess the new whales aren't looking past skill injectors -- maybe if someone is already set on spending $500 for a character, they're also set on it being their character.

Also probably indicates that the old market really needed the character tycoons to be middle-men and provide liquidity.

In general people want hyperspecialized alts instead of jack of all trades alts or alts that can do a few different things, so all the skillbooks that they dont have to pay for dont matter because they dont plan on using those skills anyways

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Klyith posted:

It's more that it isn't worth the hassle to search for a character that has the right spread of SP for what you want, when you can just slam injectors into their brainstem and get a perfect alt, every time, with no waste. You're right that it could be a better deal to get a character with skillbooks already plugged in, but how much time would you have to spend tracking down exactly that character, especially when Character Bazaar activity is at an all-time low?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Klyith posted:

the price spread is pretty poo poo right now IMHO.
extractors are high because winter and injectors just dived after everyone went on a spree with the holiday booster

woot, then its certainly no time to be breaking toons right now

In any case this is a good way to get serious isk as a returning player :D Have to say, the game has nice utility options in terms of multi account and alt management now, compared to old plex days.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr. Pickles posted:

It depends on how well it’s trained. Most likely it will just have its head drained.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Morkfang posted:

I'm sitting on just over 50b liquid and feel barely more than lower middle-class.

Right. Exactly my point I think. In 2013 you would have probably been in the top 30%.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZombieLenin posted:

Right. Exactly my point I think. In 2013 you would have probably been in the top 30%.

But strangely enough all the T1 stuff is around the exact same price as it was a decade ago. So it's not universal inflation, people genuinely are just richer. I remember caring if I lost a T1 battleship, but now they are basically disposable.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Rutibex posted:

But strangely enough all the T1 stuff is around the exact same price as it was a decade ago. So it's not universal inflation, people genuinely are just richer. I remember caring if I lost a T1 battleship, but now they are basically disposable.

That reminds me, I need to log in and pay for a couple more Thanatos hulls I ordered. I lost one trying to park it on the edge of Querious, and I never did replace my last Thanexplos.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Rutibex posted:

We have Bhaalgorns in a main fleet doctrine and not as a joke!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
gently caress all of you, as a new player I am struggling just to afford to buy my first cap, lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Even tho I've been playing EVE on and off for years, even though I often thought I would never come back.. the thought of selling my characters never even went through my head. Somehow... it feels wrong to do so, but that's just me :shrug:

Yeah, I agree. The next best thing I could force myself to was extracting skills from a character I didn't want anymore and then biomass what was left. For some reason the idea of someone else playing my characters gives me the creeps, I'd rather destroy them utterly instead. (After sucking out all the skills, I'm not mad enough to just throw all the money away. Just most of it.)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cobbsprite posted:

gently caress all of you, as a new player I am struggling just to afford to buy my first cap, lol

Join fleet, say on comms "Hey I'm new, how do I fire my blasters?" while flying an amarr ship.

Wait five minutes, buy cap.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"How do I load my warp disruptor? Where's the ammo for this thing?"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Join fleet, tackle a gate rat, etc.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paramemetic posted:

Join fleet, tackle a gate rat, etc.

Join fleet, tackle FC, get blown up

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

How do I warp to something?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
guys i locked onto the gate and pressed d why amt i jump

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rust Martialis posted:

Join fleet, tackle FC, get blown up

"He told me to anchor..."

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Join fleet, tackle Gate, get blown up by gate sentry turrets

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Join Asher's fleet, take gate Asher specified, realize you are now in highsec, die to Concord, listen to Asher apologize on comms

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in the age of free security status i have no idea why so many people are negative

i rat maybe twice a week for an hour or two and in october i was 1.2, now i'm 3.7

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Rutibex posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how capital kills—regular ones, not supers—used to make the forums. And relatedly what a big deal affording one used to be when I started playing crica 2006.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how capital kills—regular ones, not supers—used to make the forums. And relatedly what a big deal affording one used to be when I started playing crica 2006.

in 2006 losing a battleship was a big deal because it was something like 120mil

plex was 350mil at the time too

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

ZombieLenin posted:

i remember when creating a titan made headlines, now apparently its normal to lose like 50 in a battle or something???

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

timecards were like 100-150 and plex didnt exist, all the trading was done on forums because there was no item to trade in game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

timecards were like 100-150 and plex didnt exist, all the trading was done on forums because there was no item to trade in game

and only occasionally got goons banned

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Posterity has already lost but they may wanna know why so here's why

https://clips.twitch.tv/ImportantClumsyPorpoiseCoolStoryBro

:downsbravo:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Plex didn’t exist in 2006.

Edit

Fruit is correct, you could trade isk for time codes on the forums. But plex as a thing, even as a “pilot’s license,” did not exist as an in-game thing.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 14, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and only occasionally got goons banned

Something something billymerc.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Viva Miriya posted:

Something something billymerc.

BUY ELUSIF EVE GOLD

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

On top of that the LARGE majority are all from the same alliance.

There should at least be rules that prevent an all Goon GSM again, how do you spin that in any possible way that doesn't greatly benefit the Goons. After all even CCP are Goon pets now.

Should be a limit of 1 CSM seat per major alliance .