Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If you're confused or unsure how to do something, loving tell someone. Use your judgment if that means going back to the partner who gave you the work or an associate in the same practice area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Non Serviam posted:

General question for American lawyers here : should you guys get rid of trial by jury? Most of the developed world sort of gave up on that already.

No, juries are generally not as jaded as judges, good for occasionally calling bullshit on the state's case, and for introducing unpredictability for when you haven't got much else.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I am a much bigger believer in juries after practicing for a while that I ever was before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

So my Biglaw summer associate job starts in a few weeks any tips, particularly for someone in their early 30s with work experience? Also what do you actually do? Everyone just says lunch and events but I haven't heard much as far as what you're actually doing during the day.

Plan is to enjoy all the freebies while I can and try to build relationships with some associates and 1-2 partners if possible. I'd also like to try to get a sense of the actual quality of life for an associate. This place has a reputation that it's good for Biglaw but it's all relative obviously.

Talk to the first years to get some sense of what the difference is between their summer experience and their current one. If it's bad they'll probably lie about if they like it, but they'll still probably be honest about the underlying facts.

The most important thing for you is to not do something that shows you have really poor judgment. It's fine not to know what you're doing, that's expected. Anyone who lets your work go anywhere without it getting redone by an actual lawyer is probably in line for a firin', so as long as you clearly worked on it and didn't, like, slap it together in fifteen minutes with a hangover you'll be fine.

When someone gives you an assignment, bring a notepad, take notes, and then ask all the questions you have about what they're looking for in the work product and any background on the case you need. Nobody's good at knowing what you need to know, and it's best if you ask the questions then while they've set aside the time for you. If it's a partner, ask if there's someone you can talk to about the case background if something comes up so you can pester an associate with your questions instead of them. If you don't know how to do something a partner is asking you to do, find an associate to ask those questions: preferably the junior or midlevel associate on the case. That's not just to not bother the partner with dumb questions about how one opens up Westlaw, but also because they haven't done any of the stuff they're asking you to do in ten years or more while the associate has done it recently.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 4, 2017

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

^^^^^ all true.

You're not expected to know how to do this. Be nice, be personable, and ask about what you don't know. And try not to mess up what you do know. The only thing that will actually stick with me about a summer's work is if there's typos, its sloppy, etc. I don't expect you to know how to be a lawyer yet, but I do expect you to know how to write accurate English.

Say yes to everything - someone invites you to coffee, say yes. Someone says they have some work for you, say yes. Someone invites you to a pasta-making and wine tasting evening event, say yes. Be honest about your time and commitments ("I promised Jim I'd get him this memo before I leave today, but I'd be happy to turn to this tomorrow" etc.) but say yes when you can.

Also, are you in one practice group or rotating through a couple?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nevvy Z posted:

Oh, you have one of those mythical "well paying lawyer jobs" I keep hearing about!

There are also guaranteed yearly increases of about 5%. It caps out at $34.31 This is on top of benefits, PTO (80 sick, 80 vacation, 32 personal hours each year), overtime/comptime (your choice of which when offered), and potential to telecommute with a monthly reimbursement of $50 for your internet. It won't get you rich but it's a pretty great deal for the work.

Nah, I'm sure that's good pay compared to living costs in the US. In Norway, that's pretty much minimum wage or slightly above. Six figures in freedom units is pretty much where you'd want to be as a lawyer with any experience on a basic level. With a normal (and legally required 4 weeks) minimum of 5 weeks paid vacation (6 if you're over sixty), 12 (3x4) legal minimum sick days (children's illness excluded) a year without a doctor's note (sick leave is unlimited, doesn't count against anything), year's quarantine when sick (can't be fired before a year has passed when away sick), legally mandated overtime over the normal 37,5 hour full time work week, and free blowjobs every wednesday. That last one is a lie.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Local attorneys representing the Sheriff's dept just got a batson violation.
Protip: if you kick the black juror with some college and keep the white jurors who have never seen a college, don't claim you kicked the black guy because he didn't have enough education.
California is really progressive ya'll.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

Local attorneys representing the Sheriff's dept just got a batson violation.
Protip: if you kick the black juror with some college and keep the white jurors who have never seen a college, don't claim you kicked the black guy because he didn't have enough education.
California is really progressive ya'll.

Are they declaring a mistrial as a result? What's the outcome?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Their peremptory of the black guy gets denied and voir dire continues.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

JohnCompany posted:

I'll be in litigation but beyond that I'm not sure. They had us list a few areas of interest. During my callback and post offer visit I basically met exclusively with the people in the practice group I want to work with, which is also directly related to my work experience. The folks I met with said they'd be seeking me out due to my experience, for what that's worth. Whether that was meant as SA or first year I don't really know.

Thanks everyone for the great tips so far.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Their peremptory of the black guy gets denied and voir dire continues.

I didn't know if the batson violation came during voir dire or after. I just recall it resulting in mistrials in some cases.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JohnCompany posted:

^^^^^ all true.

You're not expected to know how to do this. Be nice, be personable, and ask about what you don't know. And try not to mess up what you do know. The only thing that will actually stick with me about a summer's work is if there's typos, its sloppy, etc. I don't expect you to know how to be a lawyer yet, but I do expect you to know how to write accurate English.

Say yes to everything - someone invites you to coffee, say yes. Someone says they have some work for you, say yes. Someone invites you to a pasta-making and wine tasting evening event, say yes. Be honest about your time and commitments ("I promised Jim I'd get him this memo before I leave today, but I'd be happy to turn to this tomorrow" etc.) but say yes when you can.

Also, when drafting something, partners will repeatedly redraft or eliminate stuff they themselves put in. Edits aren't a criticism of your work (or theirs) so don't bring it up that it's their own stuff in there they're editing, they can change their mind too.

Do not, ever, just accept someone's track changes and move on. They will be full of typos. You're expected to correct those, especially since doing edits in track changes means it's hard to spot some typos like extra spaces and double periods and doing stuff in track changes always creates those.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

Do not, ever, just accept someone's track changes and move on. They will be full of typos. You're expected to correct those, especially since doing edits in track changes means it's hard to spot some typos like extra spaces and double periods and doing stuff in track changes always creates those.

I've gotten to the point where I always make edits in a clean document and then have word generate a tracked changes set later for this reason.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

ulmont posted:

I've gotten to the point where I always make edits in a clean document and then have word generate a tracked changes set later for this reason.

Make sure to select "simple markup" instead of full, and the document looks clean while tracking the changes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Non Serviam posted:

Make sure to select "simple markup" instead of full, and the document looks clean while tracking the changes.

The generated changes will usually be more minimalist as well as word combines various moves, formatting changes, etc. rather than keeping each one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

New jury.
The violation was found only after all the black peoplw were kicked, so. . . .

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

General question for American lawyers here : should you guys get rid of trial by jury? Most of the developed world sort of gave up on that already.

Trial by jury is only hope innocent people have where I practice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Juries are great for criminal charges even when bullshit happens and bundys get off for their bullshit.

Juries should not be involved in highly technical cases like patent infringement and the like.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

All my cases are jury trials. The idea is that we'll let 6 tax payers determine damages rather than the bureaucracy or a judge.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

Trial by jury is only hope innocent people have where I practice.

Where I practice, there is no hope for innocent people.
So I don't practice criminal law, gently caress that poo poo.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

Where I practice, there is no hope for innocent people.
So I don't practice criminal law, gently caress that poo poo.

Yeah, I thought criminal law was where it all meant a drat thing back when I had my innocence (as in, before most of law school). I'm not that dumb anymore. I'm still dumb, just not that dumb.

The jury is going away in my country, but then we really only had juries in high court criminal cases. Instead we get by with lay judges, who are hardly any better, but in a somewhat functioning system like ours every non-jurist judge is pretty much good for letting guilty people walk and falling asleep during trial. Getting to be a judge in my country is loving incredibly difficult, which makes them take even criminal cases very seriously. Eliminating the jury as well as lay judges would probably improve the quality of criminal trials immensely...right at this moment. However, if the system is changed or some other poo poo hits the fan, lay judges are an important check on judicial power.

Can't manipulate lay judges too much though, because if they gently caress up too bad the judge can just nullify them. Yes, that's right, we have the opposite of jury nullification (sorta, and not in every case, YMMV).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, I thought criminal law was where it all meant a drat thing back when I had my innocence (as in, before most of law school). I'm not that dumb anymore. I'm still dumb, just not that dumb.

The jury is going away in my country, but then we really only had juries in high court criminal cases. Instead we get by with lay judges, who are hardly any better, but in a somewhat functioning system like ours every non-jurist judge is pretty much good for letting guilty people walk and falling asleep during trial. Getting to be a judge in my country is loving incredibly difficult, which makes them take even criminal cases very seriously. Eliminating the jury as well as lay judges would probably improve the quality of criminal trials immensely...right at this moment. However, if the system is changed or some other poo poo hits the fan, lay judges are an important check on judicial power.

Can't manipulate lay judges too much though, because if they gently caress up too bad the judge can just nullify them. Yes, that's right, we have the opposite of jury nullification (sorta, and not in every case, YMMV).

My state had an analogue of lay judges called justices of the peace who handled minor civil and minor criminal cases but whose decisions were appealable de novo. We got rid of them in 1968, but I think Texas and a few other states still have them.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Juries are way better than judges as they currently exist, especially elected judges. But I like federal judges in highly specific areas like admiralty. I also think if the judiciary were professionalized, as in there was a "judge degree" that only very qualified lawyers could get, with training on application of the law and procedure and legal history, it would make more sense.

I also like the idea of having mixed panel of professional judges and lay jurors with inquisitorial powers, each of whom can ask questions of witnesses, and each of whom has a say in a final decision.

If we're fantasizing about perfect legal systems I would also like to see court-appointed experts provide opinions on technical matters as opposed to each side hiring their own whore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If we're fantasizing about perfect legal systems I would also like to see court-appointed experts provide opinions on technical matters as opposed to each side hiring their own whore.

If you could really get an unbiased expert that would loving own. Biggest problem I could see, though, would be getting the funding to pay for it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Juries are way better than judges as they currently exist, especially elected judges. But I like federal judges in highly specific areas like admiralty. I also think if the judiciary were professionalized, as in there was a "judge degree" that only very qualified lawyers could get, with training on application of the law and procedure and legal history, it would make more sense.

I also like the idea of having mixed panel of professional judges and lay jurors with inquisitorial powers, each of whom can ask questions of witnesses, and each of whom has a say in a final decision.

Oh, so you'd like to practice in Norway then. Because that's pretty much what you just described.

1. Judges are not elected, but hired through a collegial vetting process. To be a judge, you must have a lot of experience working as a top level legal expert/phd, you usually will have to have trained under a judge of some experience as an associate judge (most do) and you must have pretty much straight As from uni, every year of the master's degree and must have gotten absolute top marks in the dissertation. To be a high/supreme court judge, you by law must have pretty much straight As, it's not a requirement for lower courts but the same rule is enforced. We also have specialty judges who are experts in certain legal fields, for when they are required.

2. In technical cases, or anything requiring special knowledge that isn't handled by a specialized tribunal, the lay judges appointed are usually experts in their fields and it is highly usual for both the judge and the expert lay judges to actively ask questions of the parties and witnesses - because it's actually a mostly inquisitorial process here.

3. Expert witnesses are allowed to appear before the court under certain restrictions, but in less-than-fully-dispositive cases, custody battles, psych. reviews, criminal cases and a bunch of other special cases the court appoints - either by plaintiff/defendant's request or by its own volition - an expert witness to aid in trial as an impartial helper for the court.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you could really get an unbiased expert that would loving own. Biggest problem I could see, though, would be getting the funding to pay for it.

Yeah, well. Not always. Sometimes getting an unbiased expert in as small a bumfuck country as mine is impossible, and sometimes the expert is a real peace of poo poo who couldn't expert his way out of a wet paper bag, but he's court appointed so what are you going to do? Contradict the expert? It's not always an ideal solution, and may force you to have to spend money on an expert of your own to refute... again, the court-appointed expert who the judge usually assumes is pretty competent and neutral. It's a mixed bag.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
sounds ridiculous. the best judges are the ones who give the most money to the local politicians or marry them

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

My state had an analogue of lay judges called justices of the peace who handled minor civil and minor criminal cases but whose decisions were appealable de novo. We got rid of them in 1968, but I think Texas and a few other states still have them.

Yes, we do, and they are terrible.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

sounds ridiculous. the best judges are the ones who give the most money to the local politicians or marry them

The best judges are the ones who give the most money to the plaintiffs.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Yes, we do, and they are terrible.

Some are good. Most are incompetent.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'm not sure further entrenching the idea that the highest judges should basically be Ivy-exclusive would be a good thing.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Popero posted:

I'm not sure further entrenching the idea that the highest judges should basically be Ivy-exclusive would be a good thing.

It is in fact not. For a loving bunch of reasons. Not the least of which the fact that cheating or faking your way to good grades is both very possible and widely practiced, and that good grades rarely determine if the actual loving jurist will be any good at law, their job and particularly being a judge.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah. Pretty much. However, as a code of ethics thing, judges are under incredible pressure to be the most prissy, hermit-like ascetics with a gigantic loving wall between them and the rest of the legal field. They loving define ivory-tower mentality. It is both great and horrible.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
I think the value of a jury system is that they're strangers to the court process and so the arguments have to make some basic sense. I think it's too easy to get used to "legal" reasoning and stop noticing when things don't actually make any sense.

At least in criminal trials I have found juries are just as sensible as your average superior court judge.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popero posted:

everything should be ivy-exclusive imo

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

joat mon posted:

A plumber won an election as a magistrate here and failed the course they give non-lawyers...twice. Third time was the charm!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Jury trials are relatively rare here in Canada so it's hard to get experience in them. In my limited experience I haven't liked them.

But if they acquit my guy I sure will!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona the Cat posted:

A plumber won an election as a magistrate here and failed the course they give non-lawyers...twice. Third time was the charm!

Toona! You're a rising 3L. How's it going?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Jury trials are relatively rare here in Canada so it's hard to get experience in them. In my limited experience I haven't liked them.

But if they acquit my guy I sure will!

They're basically for sex assaults and murders. Kind of tough to break into your first jury trial when them's the stakes and jury trials are so touchy / technical / slow compared to even regular superior court trials.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

They're basically for sex assaults and murders. Kind of tough to break into your first jury trial when them's the stakes and jury trials are so touchy / technical / slow compared to even regular superior court trials.

I've found recently where I work people have been electing judge and jury more often. I think it's because juries tend to be suspicious of the police and tend to acquit. To be fair, I'm suspicious of the police and I'm a Crown.

I find it interesting how much John Q Public seems to believe that all sentences should be much higher but also that all police officers are bent or incompetent or both.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Punitives are going to the jury ladies and gents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Abugadu posted:

Found out yesterday that my land registration case for tomorrow morning has a bit of a criminal aspect to it, and so I'm setting a trap. Going to try to get one of the petitioners to testify and have the crim division use that testimony later against him.

But it's a goddamn tightrope - if the judge rules immediately on the land registration proceedings, the criminal case disappears. If my opponents catch wind that I'm setting them up for a criminal case and withdraw their petition, the criminal case disappears. If I play it too loose and don't hit hard enough on the point that they're fraudulently trying to register gov land as their own, I could lose the land registration case, which would also likely torpedo the criminal case.

Also, that particular petitioner could no-show and send a company representative instead, which would probably lead to me winning the registration but not getting any valuable info on the criminal case. Still prosecutable if the judge doesn't rule right away, but still.

Complicating matters - some of the critical documents are from 1902 and are in Spanish. And the judge might be related to the other side's attorney. And there is no possible way I should lose this, and that's what worries me the most. And I've been on a diet so my brain is not cooperating. Also I haven't done a legit trial in years and can't remember poo poo about evidence, I'll have the important rules next to me on a page with highlights on it.

I'll post a trip report afterwards, but wish me luck.

JFC

Good luck.