Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

I was having trouble getting past the breath part where he just breathes fire before you even get to him. lol git gud

I'm gonna be honest: I never fought him. I was gonna come back to him, and I just... never did. I'm in the loving Dragon Aerie right now though, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
If the dragon hasn't noticed you by the time you take out the Heide Knight, just sprint at him as soon as you get about halfway up the stairs. It is possible to make it over to him before he blasts you, might need more stamina and/or less weight but you can do it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vanrushal posted:

If the dragon hasn't noticed you by the time you take out the Heide Knight, just sprint at him as soon as you get about halfway up the stairs. It is possible to make it over to him before he blasts you, might need more stamina and/or less weight but you can do it.

You know what they should have done? If the dragon is still alive after you beat the Old Dragonslayer, having him be summonable as a shade to help you fight the dragon. That would be so badass.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Shoot him. I give this advice every single time this comes up in the thread. You can totally just shoot the dragon to death from the platform right before the stairs. It's what I did, I don't understand why you want to make your experience more complicated.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Projectiles are lame and I only use them when absolutely necessary. I'm not kidding.

Unless it's lightning spear, which is p cool.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Snak posted:

I'm gonna be honest: I never fought him. I was gonna come back to him, and I just... never did. I'm in the loving Dragon Aerie right now though, so...

It drops an alright shield that raises Item Find if that makes a difference to you

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

If you start running right at the dragon from halfway up the staircase just before the bridge, you have plenty of time to get up close before he breathes fire. This doesn't work if he's already awake, but if he's sleeping when you start to sprint, you can run out of stamina and still be fine. When you fight him, stay behind his feat. He'll mostly just try to stomp you, which you can easily dodge. If you end up in front of his feat, he'll try to bite you, but you can roll through his legs to avoid it. If he flies up into the air, run back across the bridge to avoid the fire blast, then start to fight him again. He doesn't have all that many hit points, though, so the fight should go quickly, whatever the result.

Edit: behind the dragon is a really easy, but cool boss fight that gives you a nice boss soul weapon and a really, really good ring for spear/rapier characters. And access to a covenant with a decent merchant for faith characters.

About what SM do people do the DLCs? I have never once been summoned for any of them. 1.2 million SM on NG outside of Sinh and I was getting nothing, and nothing for Elana at a little less than that either. I went to Iron Keep at the same SM, where I expected to get very little co-op, and had no issue being summoned for Smelter Demon.

Also, holy poo poo is SOTS easy if you summon three phantoms. Basically nothing in the game has any answer too it. I usually prefer to be summoned rather than summon, but I got a crowd for smelter demon just for kicks and it's hilarious how the game turns from one person struggling against impossible odds to four assholes simulating police brutality.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 6, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think I tanked part of a blast as I approached :black101:

I always lug around the watch dragon Parma because I don't understand item discovery

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Item discovery is simple: the game reads your mind to determine what items you want and then never drops them :v:

Still can't believe I actually got most of a Drakekeeper set minus helmet and weapon in a single depopulation cycle

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mr Dog posted:

Item discovery is simple: the game reads your mind to determine what items you want and then never drops them :v:

Still can't believe I actually got most of a Drakekeeper set minus helmet and weapon in a single depopulation cycle

True. Any time I've done a hex character, it's taken a couple of hours of farming to get a silverblack spear. All my other characters find one naturally going through Earthen Peak.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm avoiding shields this play through and have been slamming people into oblivion with a great sword. I'm avoiding magic too.

I would like to pick up a bow to deal with especially tricky situations (this Amana talk reminded me of my vanilla play through). I was thinking about using a poison bow so I don't have to continuously buy poison arrows, but the Dragonrider Greatbow can't be enchanted with poison! Should I even worry about making a poison bow or is it better to upgrade a bow normally and use poison arrows? Or is the DRGB garbage? I was thinking about it primarily because I can buy it from Straid now and it looks cool. I'm making a strength dude with enough dex to use whatever bow is the sweetest.

Hunter's Blackbow is the "best" bow in the game. You can get it in Drangleic. If you don't have enough DEX for it (25 I think), the Dragonrider Bow is the next "best" option.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I need about 15 more Sunlight Medals for platinum. I'm on NG+ at SL 196 and had some luck putting my sign down before Lost Sinner, but last night only got one bite for 45 minutes of waiting. Is Guardian Dragon probably my best bet? I'm not really keen on helping people run the final bosses because the host dies too frequently and/or has at least 2 fights to initiate, whereas nobody was dying against Sinner. I also tried Rotten back at SL 180 but no one summons for him apparently.

I kept leveling since I was under the impression Soul Memory is the key matchmaking thing, which increases regardless of how I use my souls. I guess I should stop leveling? Don't really care about losing the 250k souls I'm sitting on since I have nothing else to use them for. I'm at about 5M SM, and need to get to 5.9M to open the Shrine of Winter without going back to Iron King/Freja. I plan to use Rotten to get to Drangleic in NG++ as well, once I have the medals.

I know hex giants/falconers drop them but I tried that for an hour with the Falconers and got zero. Was hoping it wouldn't take that long.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can get the Agape Ring from Straid to make it so you won't get anymore souls. That'll keep your memory at its current state at least, if it isn't too high already.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Electromax posted:

I need about 15 more Sunlight Medals for platinum. I'm on NG+ at SL 196 and had some luck putting my sign down before Lost Sinner, but last night only got one bite for 45 minutes of waiting. Is Guardian Dragon probably my best bet? I'm not really keen on helping people run the final bosses because the host dies too frequently and/or has at least 2 fights to initiate, whereas nobody was dying against Sinner. I also tried Rotten back at SL 180 but no one summons for him apparently.

You might already know about this, but after resting at a bonfire, different locations will have an orange border. Places with orange borders indicate highest levels of online activity at your current SL.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rob Haldorson posted:

You might already know about this, but after resting at a bonfire, different locations will have an orange border. Places with orange borders indicate highest levels of online activity at your current SL.

Holy poo poo, I always wondered what the deal was with that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rob Haldorson posted:

Oooo, meaning on the warping screen where you select an area? Thanks, never noticed that.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Rob Haldorson posted:

Holy cow, how did folks ever figure out that's what that meant? :aaa:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Holy cow, how did folks ever figure out that's what that meant? :aaa:
I read patch notes :haw:.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I upgraded to the Scholar of the First Sin content over the winter sale an I'm now just getting into it. I played and beat the game when it first came out on 360 and again when it came out on PC. I'm not really sure what to do or what to look for to start the DLC. Is the rat king covenant still the best?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Robot Randy posted:

I upgraded to the Scholar of the First Sin content over the winter sale an I'm now just getting into it. I played and beat the game when it first came out on 360 and again when it came out on PC. I'm not really sure what to do or what to look for to start the DLC. Is the rat king covenant still the best?
Depends on your definition of "best", I'd say. Personally, I definitely have a lot of fun ratting it up, but the most useful covenant for sure is Bellbros to get all the Chunks you'll ever need.

DLCs: you'll need to find keys to get into them, in thematically appropriate areas (something very firey, something associated with poison, and...okay the last one you just find somewhere). Actually, said last one is in Drangleic Castle, so it'll take a while to get to anyway; you could conceivably beeline to at least the poison one very quickly, but it's recommended to take them on after getting a ways into the main game, unless you really know what you're doing or are actively looking for a certain item in them.

The enemies are very heavily resistant to all forms of magic damage, so don't try to do them with a pure hexer unless you have a good backup plan. Reskilling is cheap, however.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How significant are the drawbacks of using an Enchanted weapon as a Hexer/Sorceror? Isn't that pure Physical? I don't understand all of that stuff since I've been a ring-of-giants-having luddite for all of my dark souls playthroughs.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Tried plinking down the casters in Shrine of Amana. The fuckers have healing spells :negative:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The healer is actually a separate enemy. You can kill the healer. There are two different healers, I think, one in the big open area where you get invaded after the last bonfire before the boss, and one uh, well right before that bonfire.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Krowley posted:

Tried plinking down the casters in Shrine of Amana. The fuckers have healing spells :negative:

there's a specific type of priestess who casts healing. unlike the regular kind, they don't have a staff. just pull away the archdrakes out of range from the heal, then run up to the priestesses and apply sword to face.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Krowley posted:

Playing through SOTFS, having a blast and I like this game a lot but fuucckkk shrine of amana so so much
Got SOTFS after putting a ton of time into vanilla DS2, waiting for the DLCs to go on sale. I was skeptical of SOTFS because I kept hearing the different spawns were pretty bad, but while it can be a bit hit or miss, the overall impression I am getting is that things are generally good hits. Heide's is terrible, but it was always bad/boring. Everything else has been very interesting/fun encounter design, where vanilla was almost uniformly very boring.

Amana has me skeptical. I was hoping they tried something different with it. Can anyone else chime in with how it compares to vanilla? How about other late game areas like Dragon's Aerie/Shrine? Do the dlcs have good variety/encounter design?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
As far as my memory goes, Shrine of Amana is basically identical to original.

I'm about 50/50 on the new spawns. Some are better, some are worse.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Snak posted:

I'm about 50/50 on the new spawns. Some are better, some are worse.

Thanks. That's still a major improvement, since I can't think of a single area in vanilla DS2 where the spawns were actually interesting/fun. Would really appreciate if either Amana, Aldia's, or Dragon's Aerie/Shrine were improved however.

That said, is it just me or are hitboxes/tracking tuned down. I don't seem to be getting caught in nearly so many stupid "shockwaves", or having enemies spinning in place to such a ridiculous degree. Maybe just all the original experience I had with the game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

Thanks. That's still a major improvement, since I can't think of a single area in vanilla DS2 where the spawns were actually interesting/fun. Would really appreciate if either Amana, Aldia's, or Dragon's Aerie/Shrine were improved however.

That said, is it just me or are hitboxes/tracking tuned down. I don't seem to be getting caught in nearly so many stupid "shockwaves", or having enemies spinning in place to such a ridiculous degree. Maybe just all the original experience I had with the game?

I ran straight through Aldias without doing anything, afaik you can just run to the boss from the beginning. I don't remember how it worked before. Dragon's Aerie seems to be changed for the better, but I haven't gotten that far into it. I won't spoil the big change for you, but I bet dollars to donuts you'll love it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Robot Randy posted:

The DLC is entered by the fountains, that warps you to them once you have the key to them. They are in very bullshit locations.

A good time to do them is after getting to Drangleic Castle if you've already beaten the game and want a challenge, or after you get the Ashen Mist Heart which is when the game sort of expects you to do it.

Sunken King: In Black Gulch there is a ledge you can fall down to near the secret bonfire just before Rotten. Kill the giants to get a key, use this key to open a door at the bottom of the big hole in Majula to get the key to the DLC area. The entrance is after Rotten.

Old Iron King: Go through Iron Keep to activate the switch that disables the fire traps. Warp back to the beginning and loot the corpse that was in the first room. Use this key to open the door before the Last Giant boss room for the DLC key. The entrance is after Old Iron King.

Ivory King: The key is on a corpse just after the Ruin Sentinel room in Drangleic Castle. The entrance is in the Shrine of Winter.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CJ posted:

Old Iron King: Go through Iron Keep to activate the switch that disables the fire traps. Warp back to the beginning and loot the corpse that was in the first room. Use this key to open the door before the Last Giant boss room for the DLC key. The entrance is after Old Iron King.
No, do a jump attack onto the salamander right at the beginning of the game to get to that DLC key :getin:!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Snak posted:

No, Amana has been changed a fair amount.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Simply Simon posted:

No, do a jump attack onto the salamander right at the beginning of the game to get to that DLC key :getin:!

Does that actually work? I thought there was a wall there to stop you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

There is no way that works.

edit:

Paracelsus posted:

No, Amana has been changed a fair amount.
Really?
Maybe I played farther than I thought when I first got SoftS...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

It absolutely works

there is an extra animation and everything

When I first pulled that off I realized that for all of its faults, Dark Souls 2 is still a Very Good Game Indeed.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XcZcOR1qHc
*goomba stomp sounds*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well obviously we thought you mean the salamander in the tunnel. That's pretty epic.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You can jump down onto the pile of garbage, too. That's what I did. Shot the Salamanders with arrows above first like an honorable knight.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Krowley posted:

Use poison arrows. Gavlan sells them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You can jump down onto the pile of garbage, too. That's what I did. Shot the Salamanders with arrows above first like an honorable knight.

I don't really see the point. It's easy enough to get the Iron Key. And it's not like you could enter the DLC before you could have gotten the Iron Key anyway.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I don't really see the point. It's easy enough to get the Iron Key. And it's not like you could enter the DLC before you could have gotten the Iron Key anyway.

You get a Flame Quartz+1 ring and Rebel Greatshield, which can be useful for stuff like the Iron Keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You get a Flame Quartz+1 ring and Rebel Greatshield, which can be useful for stuff like the Iron Keep.

Rebel Greatshield is a great shield