Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
He also seems to be pretty racist, based on his other posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/crownavy/status/1283405806596063237

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

That definitely looks like this guy's work, though I don't see that specific model on his flickr.

He has an 037 on there though! Beautiful.

e: Oh yeah, the Delta HF Integrale is there too! And in the description for the ideas thing it says he has a few parts swaps to turn the Integrale into an S4. PLEASE GET MADE!!!

e2: please enjoy this snippet of the great story of the 037's manufacturer championship in WRC, the last RWD car to do so. Also some interview clips with Walter Röhrl, who is the loving man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUldLcBCYw

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 16, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

I hate to keep returning to this, but…

I’m sure there are plenty of creative people out there that will see this as something other than 92748 Rotund Plumber Pants with Toolbelt Pattern, but I’m not seeing Lego using this piece absent a chunkyfig.

As much as I'm not into this thing it's just a figure. You could just as soon say that about a pirate hat or quiver or stormtrooper helmet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm assuming the builder mario is just a different print of the existing pants part they made for him? It's kind of a silly specialty piece for sure.

Also, as for the previous comment about how it seems a bit silly as a product. I mean, lego is selling blind bag minifigs. At least with mario pants you know what you're getting.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, lego is selling blind bag minifigs. At least with mario pants you know what you're getting.

If you fondle the blind bags for long enough, you'll know

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ExParrot posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY > LEGO > If you fondle the blind bags for long enough, you'll know

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those bags are actually super duper awesome as party favors!

Like, it’s the favorite treat in the bag, and worst case scenario a couple kids already have the fig they got so there’s a brief trading frenzy, and I get them for the parents too, who enjoy them just as much. Win/win/win.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ExParrot posted:

Yeah, I've usually ended up with what I want, but I also feel like I was making some pretty broad guesses. I also felt like a weirdo doing it.

Bad Munki posted:

Like, it’s the favorite treat in the bag, and worst case scenario a couple kids already have the fig they got so there’s a brief trading frenzy, and I get them for the parents too, who enjoy them just as much. Win/win/win.
Yeah, not so bad as a gift, or if you got someone to trade with. Even then as a kid dupe figs probably wouldn't be the worst since it's just extra bits to do stuff with.

But if you're going for a very specific fig and either don't have good bag fondle skills or have one of those stores that tries to stop that stuff they seem kinda... ehhh? Like I get you can buy one online, but I'm just kinda not a fan of blind-box toys in general. It's nowhere as bad as lootboxes but I feel like it'd be hypocritical of me not to acknowledge there is a bit of questionablness to them. Like, it's not like Lego isn't making a profit on them without people buying dupes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Putting together a lego star wars set while watching star trek

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Some german lego site, stonewars, is reporting that hidden side is ending after this wave and mario sets are essentially taking over that slot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That sucks. I wasn't going to buy them but it was a neat concept.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like as a kid I would have been way more into hidden side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well when their original properties collect dust and the pop culture poo poo flies off the shelf, it's a pretty easy call for the execs to make.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It is a shame, I wonder if that means mario sets are going to get the augmented reality thing hidden side has. Might make for good synergy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's a bummer. I thought the sets were neat. That's one of those lines that I'd have bought the whole run of if I had unlimited time/money/space. Like that Friends carnival wave.

Hidden Side and Dimensions both bit the dust. Dunno what that means for the future of lego and toys+tech type of stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This was a fun little set to put together over an hour and a half.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Roth posted:

There was a similar one a few years ago but it was Yoda on Dagobah.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deoju posted:

Hidden Side and Dimensions both bit the dust. Dunno what that means for the future of lego and toys+tech type of stuff.

As much as I’ve :words: in this thread about Mario pants, this is where I think Lego might turn the page a bit.

Both Hidden Side and Dimensions had a fairly steep buy-in in terms of the tech. Kids (especially those in the target demo) are unlikely to have unlimited access to a game console or a smartphone. It’ll likely be metered or on a borrowed device.

However, the Mario chunkyfig is entirely self-contained. While it’s limited, it’s also something that can be comfortably possessed by a kid without worrying about screen time.

Whether it’s sustainable and extensible for the overall Lego ecosystem is another question, but I definitely see this as an interesting experience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A shame if true, Hidden Side has been a really good line.
I saw the Firetruck Mech set the other day (which has seriously strong Promare vibes - the mech itself is labelled Matoi), and the villain it comes with is seriously creepy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Roth posted:

I like this set. It was a fun little build and the building looks nice. I like that it's fully enclosed when most of them are facades.

Wont lie I mostly bought it for the Leia hologram and the practice droid though. Much like bought the overpriced landspeeder that was 90% the same as the one I already had, so I could have poncho luke :ughh:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
...I'd totally buy that as a set.

The_Doctor posted:

A shame if true, Hidden Side has been a really good line.
I saw the Firetruck Mech set the other day (which has seriously strong Promare vibes - the mech itself is labelled Matoi), and the villain it comes with is seriously creepy.

And this is tempting. Apparently I like LEGO mechs.

Blue Moonlight posted:

As much as I’ve :words: in this thread about Mario pants, this is where I think Lego might turn the page a bit.

Both Hidden Side and Dimensions had a fairly steep buy-in in terms of the tech. Kids (especially those in the target demo) are unlikely to have unlimited access to a game console or a smartphone. It’ll likely be metered or on a borrowed device.

However, the Mario chunkyfig is entirely self-contained. While it’s limited, it’s also something that can be comfortably possessed by a kid without worrying about screen time.

Whether it’s sustainable and extensible for the overall Lego ecosystem is another question, but I definitely see this as an interesting experience.
I haven't actually seen the Hidden Side stuff in action until now. On one hand it actually looks kinda neat compared to a lot of AR stuff, but on the other the whole gameplay aspect doesn't seem very...LEGO, if that makes sense. There's definitely ways to incorporate tech somehow, but just turning it into a video game doesn't seem to fit them. (er, as far as the original brick toys I mean, vs the video games w/the LEGO license)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I feel like they should have ditched the AR stuff for Hidden Side and just had a fun ghost hunting themed line. Throw together a cartoon for it (because they clearly have a ton of lore built in that the line barely hints at), and it’d be an easy success.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot about the hidden side AR thing. They just looked like fun because they transformed and also were nicely designed.

As a kid I think I'd have given zero shits about the mario line even though I loved mario. It does not look fun. I'd have played all day with hidden side though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think with all of their success with licensed IP's, Lego might be losing sight of what any normal kid would think is fun in favor of what AFOL dweebs want or what name mom will recognize on the shelf. Eventually Lego will only be there for weird adults, and all of the kids will just be playing Minecraft or whatever cause they can do the same thing endlessly without the financial baggage.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
I bought a ton of the hidden side stuff when i got back into lego a few weeks ago, i love the slightly-lovecraft creepy vibes from the sets. The AR stuff was... ok? Its impressive tech, but the gameplay is not great. Its a shame its being stopped in favor of the Mario sets (if the rumor is true).

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like they should have ditched the AR stuff for Hidden Side and just had a fun ghost hunting themed line. Throw together a cartoon for it (because they clearly have a ton of lore built in that the line barely hints at), and it'd be an easy success.

I think there is a cartoon for it? I saw a few things on Youtube.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

I think with all of their success with licensed IP's, Lego might be losing sight of what any normal kid would think is fun in favor of what AFOL dweebs want or what name mom will recognize on the shelf. Eventually Lego will only be there for weird adults, and all of the kids will just be playing Minecraft or whatever cause they can do the same thing endlessly without the financial baggage.

And yet lego is still one of the most popular toys in the world across all ages. Weird.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I bet you can't even build a tower anymore!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

veni veni veni posted:

My brothers kid loved the minecraft set i gave him last week, the pieces were initially used to make a Floor is Lava course for the minifigs, then a couple days later he put the set together as per instructions, i daresay it'll end up in one of the huge parts bins eventually and be incorporated into their impressive collection as it should. There's 30+ yearold lego in tat playroom, we had a pretty big load of stuff as kids and it's all there.

Young Kids love to build their own stuff and use their bricks in mixed play (building stuff for their other toys; the niece was using duplo to make sandwiches for one of her dinosaur toys to eat) and adults playing with kids love to make stuff for them and with them. As long as Lego still consists of parts that can be put together in different ways, kids will not suffer for it.

Also you can still get the giant buckets of simple generic bricks, even if "sets" become more adult oriented (which i don't think they are, there may be more adult/licensed sets now but there are more sets in general and there's still a ton of kid friendly stuff including original lego IPs) that's not gonna change.

Don't discount the appeal of more collect/display style sets to slightly older kids too. A meticulous 10 year old can put together more or less anything you throw at them as long as the instructions are clear and building the saturn 5 or a modular is going to be very rewarding for slightly older kids who are starting to want kits and goal based activities more than pure imaginative play

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I had a big set of steel shelves in my room and whenever I finished a LEGO project I was proud of it would sit up there for ages.

...actually I still kinda do that in my guest room haha

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Most kids love Lego if they are lucky enough to interact with it. I can imagine a lot of parents not even getting them started because of how expensive it is relative to other toys, don’t want their kids hooked on something so pricey, or they don’t see the value in something so “small” compared to a giant single piece Fisher Price boat or what have you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My stepson loves the Star Wars minifigs but has really no interest at all in building the sets or even being creative with the pieces. The fun for him is just mixing up the bodies and heads on the minis. Which is fine by me; he gets the figs and I get to build the sets for him. Win win.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Most kids love Lego if they are lucky enough to interact with it. I can imagine a lot of parents not even getting them started because of how expensive it is relative to other toys, don’t want their kids hooked on something so pricey, or they don’t see the value in something so “small” compared to a giant single piece Fisher Price boat or what have you.

Some parents are dumb and don't realise that a big part of LEGO for kids is building a collection. Sure, you can buy them a bigger toy when they're 7 years old, but I'll guarantee you that toy won't still be played with a couple years (or hell, even months sometimes) later.

That small lego car set you bought your kid when they were 7? Still part of the collection and actively being used when they're 12. That bigger non-lego toy car? Somewhere collecting dust if it wasn't thrown out because something broke.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Taeke posted:

Some parents are dumb and don't realise that a big part of LEGO for kids is building a collection. Sure, you can buy them a bigger toy when they're 7 years old, but I'll guarantee you that toy won't still be played with a couple years (or hell, even months sometimes) later.

That small lego car set you bought your kid when they were 7? Still part of the collection and actively being used when they're 12. That bigger non-lego toy car? Somewhere collecting dust if it wasn't thrown out because something broke.

This didn’t work for me as a kid because I liked building the sets per the instructions and kept the pieces in the original box.

I also did this with Transformers and whatever else I had.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veni veni veni posted:

I like this set. It was a fun little build and the building looks nice. I like that it's fully enclosed when most of them are facades.

Wont lie I mostly bought it for the Leia hologram and the practice droid though. Much like bought the overpriced landspeeder that was 90% the same as the one I already had, so I could have poncho luke :ughh:

Yeah but I'll bet you can't even make a tower or bridge with the hologram.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Our relationships with LEGO say much about our life strategies

I assembled a set once then it became part of the communal bin to be made into whatever crossed my mind; now I'm doing weird poo poo with them because of my kid. Absolute parallel to most of my life

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's how I do it too, except now it's four communal bins with a couple dozen mini bins and everything is sorted by part type because pawing through a bucket looking for the one thing I need is some bullshit I have no patience for anymore.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Recently I spent an entire day sorting out all minifigs and accessories--every hat, helmet, beard, weapon and widget--and put them in a separate bin.

My daughter just dumped it back into the main bin.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chaos reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boo, my Land Rover was short a piece (or I misplaced it) - it's a small piece (black peg-axle mix) that I probably don't have any spares of since it's a fairly recent element. (At least compared to my Technic collection)

The upside is that I was able to substitute a rod piece that was in my unsorted spare parts from recent sets nicely into the spot to achieve mostly the same effect (it's just holding some elements on the door in place) and it's not so hard to access that it won't be a pain to get to when I get a replacement.