Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

redeyes posted:

My 7700k non-overclocked with AMD Rx480 while benchmarking runs around 450-500w at the plug. :(

That's really odd. 6700k @1.39V with a 1080 ti pulls 400W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At this point, forget both of them and wait for the 1070Ti at the end of the month...or buy EVGA and use "Step Up" when you get the chance.

Thought that card was going to be well-suited for mining and thus either swooped up or bought up and scalped at launch?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

refleks posted:

Thought that card was going to be well-suited for mining and thus either swooped up or bought up and scalped at launch?

The other way around (well, at least for the first part): the 1070ti is rumored to be using GDDR5X which makes it a poor choice, by comparison, for most types of mining vs the 1070, which uses plain GDDR5. It's the same reason that the 1080 (which also uses GDDR5X) performs poorly compared to the 1070.

As for people scooping them up to scalp to people too dumb to realize that....well I guess we'll see.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

refleks posted:

1070Ti uses GDDR5X, which has the odd property of wasting half its available bandwidth when used for mining. This makes the card slower than the plain 1070 at mining.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Current rumors have the 1070 Ti using 9gbps GDDR5 rather than 5X.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

If that's true, then yeah, expect those to get snapped up instantly for mining / flipping to miners.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There'll still be a better window than most for us randos to get our hands on one. At the very least, it'll prompt them to *have* to knock some more money off the currently inflated 1070 prices.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Or they just launch the 1070Ti at even sillier prices!

I mean, from a reseller perspective, if the 1070's are selling out as-is...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

The latest NVIDIA drivers fix Forza 7 performance. Computerbase has new benchmarks for the 1060 and 1080, basically back where you'd expect, with 1080 on par with Vega 64 and 1060 on top of Fury X and 580.

Guess NVIDIA was dropping the ball there.

Poor Vega's DX12 COMPUTE SUPERIORITY didn't last 2 weeks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

Poor Vega's DX12 COMPUTE SUPERIORITY didn't last 2 weeks.

Everyone wanted to believe that Instruction Prefetching was the silver bullet :smith:

The optimist in me says that maybe they'll get their poo poo together (after all to compete with Volta they will have to), the realist in me says that if they can't even get one game with a known-good renderer like AOTS or Doom tuned up properly to demo its capabilities then it's just broke as gently caress.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 10, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sometimes, dead is better.

Maybe if it's hosed to the max they'll have no choice but to clean sheet something? I can just see them limping along with this and creating some horrific Navi thing out if it.

Xx70 performance @ 700W, but it has freesync :downs:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Has anyone done the "minimalistic install method" where you extract and delete almost everything from the Driver package, to get around the 500MB bloat that comes with them, I've been to chicken poo poo to try it, but if results from here sounds positive I'll give it a go this time around, just that it sounds like a good way to get random BSOD's if something is missing.

Basically the gist of it for people who don't know is you Unzip the entire archive into a folder. Once you enter the folder you can now delete unneeded subfolders.
Keep the following folders/files and delete the rest.

Display.Driver Folder
HDAudio Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
NVI2 Folder (A part of the Installer)
Physx Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
EULA.txt
ListDevices.txt
setup.cfg
setup.exe

After you remove the other stuff and have just the above left, you can double click the setup.exe and it will run the Nvidia Installer and -only- install the above drivers. (Display, HDAudio, and Physx) It cuts out the extra bloat they keep adding while still allowing you to uninstall the drivers from add/remove programs. It also includes the Nvidia Control Panel. Also it installs Vulkan Run Time Libraries as well, which seems to be baked into the display driver completely.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're in luck! You can delete the whole installer2 folder with no repercussions (Unless you end up needing to reinstall drivers, then you'll need to download the drivers from Nvidia again). You also can use pnputil in the command line and delete all old Nvidia driver versions which if you've been installing every driver update will save you several GB over a year. I don't mess with the install folder and just go in after and delete the C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2 folder.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Your way just sorta cleans up space by removing dormant installers (which might be needed later if you ever want to uninstall something from the Control Panel, etc.) You still get all the unnecessary telemetry installed from nvcontainer for example and then there's services like ProfileUpdater and Watchdog constantly running, which to me is the appeal of this.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Does the evga precision app usually take up 1~2% of cpu usage when minimized? Also do you need it open for your OC/fan profile to be implemented?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Anyone here with a Zotac 1060 6GB mini edition?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B01IA9FEOO

I'm looking for a 1060 to go into my Fractal Node 202 and don't wanna break the bank. I know that a 1060 will be nice and powerful enough for 1080p gaming on my TV but unsure how the noise levels compare to more expensive models like the MSI Gaming X.

How about the 3GB version of the mini? Is it worth saving an extra £40 or am I better off future-proofing and getting a 6GB card?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

apropos man posted:

Anyone here with a Zotac 1060 6GB mini edition?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-NVIDIA-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B01IA9FEOO

I'm looking for a 1060 to go into my Fractal Node 202 and don't wanna break the bank. I know that a 1060 will be nice and powerful enough for 1080p gaming on my TV but unsure how the noise levels compare to more expensive models like the MSI Gaming X.

How about the 3GB version of the mini? Is it worth saving an extra £40 or am I better off future-proofing and getting a 6GB card?

Go for the 6GB version, even 4GB cards can run into VRAM limitations in some cases, a 3GB card definitely will. The mini cards won't clock as high and will be louder because they will run the fan more often and faster, if you can fit a two fan card I'd recommend it, looking at UK Amazon it looks like Palit and Gigabyte have the cheapest dual fan 6GB models, you can look reviews for those up and compare them to see how much quieter they are than the single fan ones.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a Zotac 1060 3 GB mini and it's definitely not the coolest nor quietest card around. Even the cheapo dual-fan models are probably significantly better. But if it's a question of spending $50 extra on a dual-fan card, the Mini may be worth it.

You'll probably need to run it near 100% fan speed and it makes a pretty good jet-engine sound when it's spinning up, but it's not terribly obnoxious once it's at speed.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

ughhhh posted:

Does the evga precision app usually take up 1~2% of cpu usage when minimized? Also do you need it open for your OC/fan profile to be implemented?

I'm not at home to check the CPU usage (not that I'd personally care about 1-2% usage anyway), but you don't have to have it open when it's set for the OC to work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Def get the 6GB over the 3GB. It's not just memory size, the 3GB has a slightly cut down processor too.

I've got a friend with the Zotac mini 6GB in a Node. He doesn't mind the noise, but the case is a good 6ft away from where he plays games. He's got it up on a bookshelf. ITX is fun.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Cheers guys. I'm gonna go for a dual fan 6GB model.

Edit: There's an 11 month old MSI Armor 1060 6GB on eBay. Looks good condition for £250.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-Armor-GTX-1060-6GB-OCV1-/162707683538?hash=item25e22238d2:g:LvUAAOSwHIlZ3OvJ

The Armor is the start of the MSI range where they have 0db-idle fan mode enabled, isn't it?

EDIT2: Purchased :)

apropos man fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 10, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Im_Special posted:

Your way just sorta cleans up space by removing dormant installers (which might be needed later if you ever want to uninstall something from the Control Panel, etc.) You still get all the unnecessary telemetry installed from nvcontainer for example and then there's services like ProfileUpdater and Watchdog constantly running, which to me is the appeal of this.

You generally want that stuff for full functionality, especially if you're playing any new games. If you only play games more than a year old Nvidia probably isn't going to do anything with the data, but for anything recent the telemetry is very useful.

Edit: It's not hurting your performance

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can't you disable telemetry in Nvidia's control panel anyway?

Also, if you want to use the Ansel screenshot thing a lot of newer games have, you need the 3D driver IIRC.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

orcane posted:

Also, if you want to use the Ansel screenshot thing a lot of newer games have, you need the 3D driver IIRC.
You do not.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sininu posted:

You do not.

So does it work with just the basic driver for it now or what? Because it didn't work for me back when I tried it in Ghost Recon Wildlands when I used to only install the video and audio driver and PhysX software until I installed the 3D Vision (?) driver too.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

orcane posted:

So does it work with just the basic driver for it now or what? Because it didn't work for me back when I tried it in Ghost Recon Wildlands when I used to only install the video and audio driver and PhysX software until I installed the 3D Vision (?) driver too.

I used it week ago with Snake Pass and I do not have 3D drivers installed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Im_Special posted:

Has anyone done the "minimalistic install method" where you extract and delete almost everything from the Driver package, to get around the 500MB bloat that comes with them, I've been to chicken poo poo to try it, but if results from here sounds positive I'll give it a go this time around, just that it sounds like a good way to get random BSOD's if something is missing.

Basically the gist of it for people who don't know is you Unzip the entire archive into a folder. Once you enter the folder you can now delete unneeded subfolders.
Keep the following folders/files and delete the rest.

Display.Driver Folder
HDAudio Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
NVI2 Folder (A part of the Installer)
Physx Folder (Can Delete if not needed)
EULA.txt
ListDevices.txt
setup.cfg
setup.exe

After you remove the other stuff and have just the above left, you can double click the setup.exe and it will run the Nvidia Installer and -only- install the above drivers. (Display, HDAudio, and Physx) It cuts out the extra bloat they keep adding while still allowing you to uninstall the drivers from add/remove programs. It also includes the Nvidia Control Panel. Also it installs Vulkan Run Time Libraries as well, which seems to be baked into the display driver completely.

This is like, dumb nerds trying to micromanage their pagefiles on the tier list of silly things to bother with. My nvidia folders (in both programfiles and program files(x86) are 330 megs. Who gives a poo poo about trimming ~120 megs~ off drives with hundreds of gigabytes of space.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If your Nvidia folders total ~330MBs then you are one of the dumb nerds you are talking about here, because they are definitively not even close to ~330. Also this is not a space issue thing, but thats still a nice bonus with this.

Anyways, a trip report, I did it and all functionality still works flawless, it's nice having a much cleaner setup with no additional tasks to worry about, etc. Would recommend!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, a guy I know who never reformatted since he built his Ivybridge machine saved 15GB by clearing out his Nvidia installer folder.

^^You're missing telemetry functionality though. That's fine if you only play old stuff, but dumb if you want to play new stuff.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ccleaner handles that poo poo for me anyway

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

craig588 posted:

Yeah, a guy I know who never reformatted since he built his Ivybridge machine saved 15GB by clearing out his Nvidia installer folder.

^^You're missing telemetry functionality though. That's fine if you only play old stuff, but dumb if you want to play new stuff.

I tend to play emulators, Hearthstone, and 1$ tiered Humble games, so yeah...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Im never going to rag on trimming the fat, thats a mentality long lost. However I'm not doing this lol. I will be watching the folder size however, 15 gb is no joke on precious nvme space

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Ccleaner handles that poo poo for me anyway

Enjoy your malware

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
dang I checked on my desktop at home and its almost *800 whole megs whooooeeee*

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So you DO go in and delete the Installer2 folder, because that's ~600MBs alone, found the Pagefile guy!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Caught red handed

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I used to delete the installers when they lived in C:/NVIDIA, but that's because they seemed to endlessly grow if you didn't. My folder is 2.8GB total, and that's pretty small for something I consider critical to system operation. I have 549GB free on a approximately 750GB drive, and that's while SteamMover has GTA5 (no small game in terms of textures etc) presently living over here while I play through the campaign.

But I store just the system, critical apps, and games being played there. Everything less than critical goes in [mech drive]:/Program Files

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
It's me, the dork who micromanages swap file size. Been using a 250GB SSD as my only drive for a couple of years now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So Nvidia announced a new board for self driving car stuff. The previous model has a pair of Tegra X2 (think Nintendo Switch SoCs with Pascal based graphics) and a pair of separate Pascal-based GPUs (somewhere between a 1050 and 1030 in performance). This is the board that Tesla uses for its auto driving stuff.

Well the new one now has a pair of new SoCs called Xavier with Volta based graphics, as well as a pair of discrete GPUs... but the discrete GPUs aren't Volta. They are based on the arch AFTER Volta.

To be fair, this thing isn't supposed to even be in devkit form until next year. But it sure seems that Nvidia at least has some concept of where its post-Volta arch is gonna be performance and availability wise.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11913/nvidia-announces-drive-px-pegasus-at-gtc-europe-2017-feat-nextgen-gpus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

So Nvidia announced a new board for self driving car stuff. The previous model has a pair of Tegra X2 (think Nintendo Switch SoCs with Pascal based graphics) and a pair of separate Pascal-based GPUs (somewhere between a 1050 and 1030 in performance). This is the board that Tesla uses for its auto driving stuff.

Well the new one now has a pair of new SoCs called Xavier with Volta based graphics, as well as a pair of discrete GPUs... but the discrete GPUs aren't Volta. They are based on the arch AFTER Volta.

To be fair, this thing isn't supposed to even be in devkit form until next year. But it sure seems that Nvidia at least has some concept of where its post-Volta arch is gonna be performance and availability wise.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11913/nvidia-announces-drive-px-pegasus-at-gtc-europe-2017-feat-nextgen-gpus

"Driver PX Pegasus is intended to be the next step in self-driving hardware by being the company's first Level 5 system"

The older Drive PX 2 that's already in 2016 Tesla Model S is supposed to be Level 5 capable, and Tesla has been saying that too... so why is Nvidia saying the Pegasus is their first Level 5 system?

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_PX-series 500w TDP for Pegasus, geez. Good thing cars already have built-in liquid cooling...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2017