Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I took a year off after college to try to find a tech job in 2003 and that didn't work so law school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Vox Nihili posted:

My friend was a SA at a major firm and her firm just decided at some point that they didn't need half of their summers, so she got cut with a good review.

I went to one cocktail hour for a big law that didn't offer any of their 10 or so SAs. They sent one attorney to it and he spent the whole time trying to convince people that it didn't look as bad as everyone knew it was

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Roger_Mudd posted:

I worked 50-60 hours while in law school. Practice meant I had more time off. :agesilaus:

So, what you're saying is that you worked too hard in law school and couldn't get into big law even then? :sad:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

So, what you're saying is that you worked too hard in law school and couldn't get into big law even then? :sad:

Roger did a 4 year evening program I believe.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Vox Nihili posted:

My friend was a SA at a major firm and her firm just decided at some point that they didn't need half of their summers, so she got cut with a good review.

It's not 2010 anymore, this kind of thing doesn't happen today.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

nm posted:

:eng99:

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm convinced that people don't actually grow up until they're working a full time job (or jobs) with no hope of doing something else, no end in sight, and no ability to call in sick constantly without consequences.

True. A big part of growing up is taking your dreams out back and blowing their brains out before they blow yours out. Also your hopes and aspirations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

yronic heroism posted:

stairs in abugadu's house confirmed.

two sets!

Getting close now, hoping to move in by August.

Also, my continuance in my hearing was the top headline in one of yesterday's papers. We just have this one journalist who follows my department around whenever we're in public.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I start my clerkship with a small firm on Tuesday and I'm nervous. Any tips?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 8, 2017

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

You're finishing your 1L in America?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

The Kingfish posted:

Figure out how to work whatever garbage cobbled together tech exists there and you're set for life. I'm pretty sure that's what helped me keep my job.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

If they have you do anything substantial, you will feel like you don't know what you are doing. This is normal. Most lawyers feel that way until 4-5 years of practice. Just show up, be on time, and if you mess something up, show them you are willing to fix it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Make sure you demonstrate that you know how to think like a lawyer.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

If they have you do anything substantial, you will feel like you don't know what you are doing. This is normal. Most lawyers feel that way until 4-5 years of practice.

After that, we stop caring.

just kidding, sort of.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Newfie posted:

Figure out how to work whatever garbage cobbled together tech exists there and you're set for life. I'm pretty sure that's what helped me keep my job.

It also helps to become an office wizard with said tech, and introduce some other skills and suddenly you're the go-to guy for printing spreadsheets to .pdfs.

Also, just be chill and likable. I've seen incredibly unproductive attorneys last years longer than they should have mostly because they were likable and stayed off the radar, but the annoying douche is on the SHORTEST of leashes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/861620468809424896

jesus christ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Any Canadian lawyers I can DM?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I'm sure shes going to take georgetowns presentation on how to maximize student loans to heart

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Wonder if she'll run into Malia and Sasha Obama at Georgetown undergrad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

It's not 2010 anymore, this kind of thing doesn't happen today.

She was class of 2015.

First they fall out of the T14, and now this.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm so glad to be with 1L year and excited to start actually doing law stuff!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The Kingfish posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm so glad to be with 1L year and excited to start actually doing law stuff!

LOL

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

She was class of 2015.

First they fall out of the T14, and now this.

lol really? the only reason it was t14 in the first place as opposed to t13 was so georgetown could say it was a top law school

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry about your terrible career 🤷🏻‍♂️

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

lol really? the only reason it was t14 in the first place as opposed to t13 was so georgetown could say it was a top law school

Yeah, University of Texas took their slot at the bottom of the top or the top of the bottom or whatever. Presumably Georgetown's check bounced this year.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Roger_Mudd posted:

Any Canadian lawyers I can DM?

I don't have messages on SA but feel free to email me, username at hotmail.com

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hotmail still exists? Guess I shouldn't be surprised, almost none of my clients use gmail, it's all weird providers I've never heard of before or yahoo. loving yahoo.

blarzgh posted:

It also helps to become an office wizard with said tech, and introduce some other skills and suddenly you're the go-to guy for printing spreadsheets to .pdfs.

Also, just be chill and likable. I've seen incredibly unproductive attorneys last years longer than they should have mostly because they were likable and stayed off the radar, but the annoying douche is on the SHORTEST of leashes.

Yeah, but at the same time it's super annoying to be known as the IT guy. I made that mistake and now collegues are nagging me about email and all sorts of poo poo. I made the early mistake of fixing their antiquated server way back, introducing modern server software and redoing their SQL server settings including a proper backup system that's saved the digital archive a good three times now (because lawyers are excellent at clicking every link they see, which is Cryptolocker heaven). And now I'm "a wizard", while in actuality I'm just barely computer literate .

I'd like it a lot if I were left alone to work my cases, because oh loving boy if my workload didn't just double over the last weeks because apparently, it's lawsuit season.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hotmail still exists? Guess I shouldn't be surprised, almost none of my clients use gmail, it's all weird providers I've never heard of before or yahoo. loving yahoo.

I know lawyers that use loving hotmail.

I just wanna say that the quality of TV lawyering is always pretty poo poo, but holy moly was Better Call Saul particularly cringe-worthy last night. That was some of the worst cross I've ever been subjected to.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
What's the deal with Biglaw retirement benefits? I can't really find much solid info online which may be because it's hugely different from firm to firm. My understanding is that there's generally no 401k match. Which, fine if you want everything to be in salary then whatever. How are the available plans though? Do they typically allow, what I think are called, in service rollovers and post-tax 401k contributions for mega backdoor Roths?

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2021

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, but at the same time it's super annoying to be known as the IT guy. I made that mistake and now collegues are nagging me about email and all sorts of poo poo. I made the early mistake of fixing their antiquated server way back, introducing modern server software and redoing their SQL server settings including a proper backup system that's saved the digital archive a good three times now (because lawyers are excellent at clicking every link they see, which is Cryptolocker heaven). And now I'm "a wizard", while in actuality I'm just barely computer literate .

I'd like it a lot if I were left alone to work my cases, because oh loving boy if my workload didn't just double over the last weeks because apparently, it's lawsuit season.

Bill them at your hourly rate and it will stop.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

What's the deal with Biglaw retirement benefits? I can't really find much solid info online which may be because it's hugely different from firm to firm. My understanding is that there's generally no 401k match. Which, fine if you want everything to be in salary then whatever. How are the available plans though? Do they typically allow, what I think are called, in service rollovers and post-tax 401k contributions for mega backdoor Roths?

I've been at 3 firms.

Generally no match, but all 3 did give some (relatively) nominal contribution (2-5k).

All 3 had post-tax contribution option.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I spent 30 minutes gossipping with courthouse staff about their dogs instead of going to the office.

Woo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CaptainScraps posted:

I spent 30 minutes gossipping with courthouse staff about their dogs instead of going to the office.

Woo

are they good dogs?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Day 7 of no work for me. I miss
Human interaction.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Day 7 of no work for me. I miss
Human interaction.

What videogames are you playing?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahahaha RecogniCorp v. Nintendo

hahahahahahahahahah

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

hahahaha RecogniCorp v. Nintendo

hahahahahahahahahah

i dont get it

i mean, good decision, but what's so special about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

What videogames are you playing?

I don't? Mostly trying to stay conscious.