Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

"Possibly" anabolics.

lol

Don't forget the cobalt chloride, I'm sure that's good for you as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

AzureSkys posted:

I took my cat to the vet this morning for a checkup (he was attacked by 3 coyotes a few weeks ago but is ok!).

That's one badass cat!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I can only imagine it involved anvils and dynamite, and possibly also a cliff face painted to look like a tunnel.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Bloop posted:

I assume this is a typo but lol very true

I can't figure out what it was supposed to be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

lilbeefer posted:

Whale is another meat that I don't understand all the drama about. It's kinda lovely tasting
Because America, the Japanese equivalent of boomers, and spite.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-04-17/japan-few-people-eat-whale-meat-anymore-whaling-remains-popular

quote:

The Japanese have whaled for centuries, but consumption of whale meat peaked after World War II. The country was devastated and food was scarce, so American occupation authorities urged the Japanese to eat more whale as a cheap source of protein. For the next decade or so, half of all protein in the Japanese diet was whale meat. Today, it’s much less: People eat only about 40 grams a year per capita, about the size of a slice of ham.

“In Japan, the whale-eating issue is a symbol of respect for different cultures. And many people in Japan think it's not right for people from outside to impose food culture on other places,” said Joji Morishita, who negotiated Japan’s upcoming withdrawal from the International Whaling Commission.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lilbeefer posted:

Whale is another meat that I don't understand all the drama about. It's kinda lovely tasting

Are you Norwegian? The "drama" is that whaling is illegal in almost every country in the world

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I can't figure out what it was supposed to be.

"inverted" I assumed

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh ok that makes sense.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Horse meat is delicious, and you can buy it in North America. Horses are an extinct species that exists only for our amusement and convenience, a couple hundred deaths per year in races and rodeos is the small price they pay the continuation of their species.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Not totally extinct, there's a carnivorous subspecies of Icelandic Murderpony which subsides largely on out-of-shape tourists who wandered off from their Game Of Thrones-themed bus.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Icelanders will tell you that the Murderpony is NOT a pony, and actually just a small yet fully grown horse, but this is nonsense. All small horses are, by definition, ponies. Magical ponies, of friendship and magic.

Iceland: It's Basically Equestria. (TM)

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

AzureSkys posted:

I took my cat to the vet this morning for a checkup (he was attacked by 3 coyotes a few weeks ago but is ok!). When I was parking, a lady in a white SUV came behind me and went to park on the other side of a few cars from me.
I was getting my cat out of my car when I heard tire screeching then a thud.

About 10 seconds later I would have been walking into that door. Shortly after the fire department showed up and were doing checks on the building. Thankfully no one was hurt and she hit that pillar after mixing up her pedals instead of going into the building where people were in the lobby. I hope the surveillance footage shows up in some compilation some day.

In 2012 a woman was killed by this same thing around the corner from where I was working. I heard all the sirens and what not.
https://patch.com/washington/renton/woman-killed-when-car-crashes-into-renton-business

I've seen plenty of videos of this but am kind of surprised at how frequently it happens if I've had it occur twice near me in my boring life.

I’m sorry to say that this story somehow reminded me of that Star Trek actor who got squished by his Jeep. :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Icelanders will tell you that the Murderpony is NOT a pony, and actually just a small yet fully grown horse, but this is nonsense. All small horses are, by definition, ponies. Magical ponies, of friendship and magic.

Iceland: It's Basically Equestria. (TM)

Bad Horse Island

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

C.M. Kruger posted:

No that was just some museum that had some buckets full of uranium ore sitting around.

Story from 1913 about some hillbillies getting sick after finding a spooky cave:
https://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radoz.html

Reminds me of This event from 2001 where some Georgian (former USSR republic, not the US state) found some discarded RTG cores and used them as heaters while camping.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ATP_Power posted:

Reminds me of This event from 2001 where some Georgian (former USSR republic, not the US state) found some discarded RTG cores and used them as heaters while camping.

Rural people finding random dangerous poo poo is always hilarious. Was it posted in this thread where those people found that sea mine from one of the world wars and started disassembling it?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Rural people finding random dangerous poo poo is always hilarious. Was it posted in this thread where those people found that sea mine from one of the world wars and started disassembling it?

If it wasn't, here's the dramatization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Otoh it would be a lot better if the people who knew better didn't leave extremely dangerous poo poo lying all over the place.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Was it posted in this thread where those people found that sea mine from one of the world wars and started disassembling it?

This is something like I would’ve posted, so maybe? People who don’t know what they are on the outer banks of NC using them as lawn ornaments has definitely happened. They’re still washing up from WWII, a U-boat successfully mined Chesapeake Bay and sank a few ships there. I mean, the explosive that was inside is probably gone, but I never bet against unexploded ordinance that may still want to turn into a rapidly expanding gas cloud/pressure wave.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is something like I would’ve posted, so maybe? People who don’t know what they are on the outer banks of NC using them as lawn ornaments has definitely happened. They’re still washing up from WWII, a U-boat successfully mined Chesapeake Bay and sank a few ships there. I mean, the explosive that was inside is probably gone, but I never bet against unexploded ordinance that may still want to turn into a rapidly expanding gas cloud/pressure wave.

It was in eastern Europe and they were definitely pulling out chunks of what was likely explosive.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Icon Of Sin posted:

Probably gone? I wouldn't get my life on it. A decade or so back a civil war enthusiast dug up a cannonball from a battlefield, brought it home, and started to grind the rust off it. It blew up and killed him.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Here's a fun story about microbiology OSHA: the dark and mostly-forgotten art of mouth pipetting

One of my old professors who turned 80 this year will still wax nostalgic about how much quicker it was than using a modern pipettor, and I've talked with folks who worked in her lab in those good old days who remember the taste of the E.coli (non-pathogenic thankfully) when they'd mess it up.

What's even wilder was that she was doing radiolabeling experiments back when her lab was still mouth pipetting - really happy I never had to suck on a pipet with tritiated thymidine when I was doing those experiments back in undergrad.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

That was from a reddit thread with people telling them they were dumb and going top get blown up.

Here:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4431112/reddit-dismantles-ww1-bomb/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When you look up any crazy element or chemical discovered more than about 50 years ago you'll always see notes about what it tastes like. Apparently combining random poo poo and seeing how it tasted was just how chemists rolled back in the day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least half the time they’ll call it “characteristic”, as if you’d mistake eating Arsenic or Selenium with literally anything else.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's loving criminal.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Imagined posted:

When you look up any crazy element or chemical discovered more than about 50 years ago you'll always see notes about what it tastes like. Apparently combining random poo poo and seeing how it tasted was just how chemists rolled back in the day.

It's been posted a million times in this thread, but if you want a book that's all about chemists combining random poo poo and seeing how it exploded, you gotta check out Ignition! by John Drury Clark.

Ignition! posted:

I used to take advantage of this property [the exceptional reactivity of mixed acid] when somebody came into my lab looking for a job. At an inconspicuous signal, one of my henchmen would drop the finger of an old rubber glove into a flask containing about 100 cc of mixed acid — and then stand back. The rubber would swell and squirm a moment, and then a magnificent rocket-like jet of flame would rise from the flask, with appropriate hissing noises. I could usually tell from the candidate’s demeanor whether he had the sort of nervous system desirable in a propellant chemist.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

ATP_Power posted:

It's been posted a million times in this thread, but if you want a book that's all about chemists combining random poo poo and seeing how it exploded, you gotta check out Ignition! by John Drury Clark.

You have to love a book where Hydrazine is frequently the tamest chemical in a discussion.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

Sorry* to interrupt horse chat, but I was just driving one of our 4wd utes to fill up with diesel, and drove past the gatehouse at the same time a delivery truck was pulling up. Driver gets out to go to the breathalyzer machine (a condition of site entry) and as the speed limit there is 20km/h, I get a good look at what he's hauling.

Cabover prime mover, two 40' trailers, 16 big bulka bags on each of them, "AMMONIUM NITRATE" printed on the side. We're ramping up blasting soon for an open pit extension, and I guess all that boom's gotta come from somewhere!

Maybe they're just trying to Fertilize something....

Funny, I was just skimming through my old blasting textbook last night

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Imagined posted:

My Junior Encylopedia of Chemistry told me that 'Acids taste sour' and 'Alkalis taste brackish' - complete with a drawing of a person tasting something out of a conical flask.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ATP_Power posted:

Here's a fun story about microbiology OSHA: the dark and mostly-forgotten art of mouth pipetting

One of my old professors who turned 80 this year will still wax nostalgic about how much quicker it was than using a modern pipettor, and I've talked with folks who worked in her lab in those good old days who remember the taste of the E.coli (non-pathogenic thankfully) when they'd mess it up.

What's even wilder was that she was doing radiolabeling experiments back when her lab was still mouth pipetting - really happy I never had to suck on a pipet with tritiated thymidine when I was doing those experiments back in undergrad.

My fiancees ex boss, a biology professor, would look at the students and post docs in the room, loudly exclaim "Don't do this!" Then mouth pippette formaldehyde. She had a working bulb in the other room.

This was maybe 3 or 4 years ago so don't let the black and white photo fool you.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 21, 2019

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jenny Agutter posted:

Are you Norwegian? The "drama" is that whaling is illegal in almost every country in the world

Not OP but I read that as not understanding why some cultures are dramatic about wanting the right to eat whales. Not that they personally want to be able to eat whales.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://i.imgur.com/oMfolcB.mp4

Is this young lad covered by OSHA?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Budgie posted:

https://i.imgur.com/oMfolcB.mp4

Is this young lad covered by OSHA?
Dad as fall pro, so yea, covered. At that age anyway

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wheatpuppy posted:

Not OP but I read that as not understanding why some cultures are dramatic about wanting the right to eat whales. Not that they personally want to be able to eat whales.

Oh yeah I probably misread that

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

I'm Icelandic and we take great pride in serving the north atlantic's bounty of gross garbage meat to tourists but in reality just want to pound greasy beer and cold pizza.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zedprime posted:

My fiancees ex boss, a biology professor, would look at the students and post docs in the room, loudly exclaim "Don't do this!" Then mouth pippette formaldehyde. She had a working bulb in the other room.

Is she your fiancee's ex boss because she's dead now?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

zedprime posted:

I would occasionally mouth pipette in grad school (9 years ago), mainly it was out of laziness. If I my automatic pipettor was a a fe steps away and I didn’t feel like walking to get it I would mouth pipette. It was never anything hazardous, water/salt solutions/yeast cultures.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm Icelandic and we take great pride in serving the north atlantic's bounty of gross garbage meat to tourists but in reality just want to pound greasy beer and cold pizza.

You call it gross garbage meat? And you prefer "greasy beer and cold pizza"? Tough, dude. Maybe not everyone is a poo poo-embracing rear end in a top hat like you. It actually tastes OK, at least better than 3rd-rate lovely pizza. Helvítis rćfillinn ţinn.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Phlebotomy lab techs used to mouth pipette blood not that long ago (80s)

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Minke whale meat is just fishy fatballs and is infinitely inferior to a fine McNugget