Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

$16.7k/yr for a 3yo here.

I saw a daycare teacher post that around June the families with kids aging into actual school would start pulling up in new cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah $16k/year here. This summer is the end of it though! Aging into kindergarten!!!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Depending on where you live "Why was the lot not built" could be as simple as "There is a lot of land around here". Especially if you're in the midwest, there is no shortage of perfectly reasonable buildable land within reasonable distance of urban areas. It's not like parts of California or the East coast, there's lots of space. Even east coast isn't bad if you get out of the dense parts.

However

I've known probably a half dozen people in the last 10 years who built their own including a close collegue who just moved in 2 weekends ago. It's going to be
1. More expensive than they tell you. Some of this is because you're going to go "Yeah, actually we should change this thing", some of it will be because contractors always think things will be simpler than they are, some of it is because prices are really volatile. Add at least 20% to what they tell you, it could go above that. Everyone of those people I know started the project thinking it was going to be cheaper than buying a comparable, maybe 2 were right but all spent way over what they originally thought.

2. It's going to take longer than they say. The last guy's was 18+ months late and he had to live at an in-laws family cabin for almost 3 years. I've never even heard of someone who knows someone who had a new build finish on time.

3. It'll be a giant pain in the rear end. In my sample of 6, 3 of them had to either bring their contractors to court or hire a lawyer to write up a credible threat. They all had to go through months of fiddly poo poo to get their CoO and none of them were building in areas that were known to be particularly picky (no historical areas or anything). If you don't stay on top of it and do the work from your side it's going to take longer or you'll end up unhappy with the finished result.

4. Of those 6, 3 of them ended up selling (at least 1 at a big loss, the other 2 were probably close) within ~5 years. There's various reasons but I think people sometimes get themselves psyched that this custom house is going to be perfect and then when they have to inevitably compromise on stuff they get deflated really quickly. I don't think this applies to OPs situation but even the outcome of building can be disappointing.

I'm not saying it might not be the way to do it, but if you have 3-5 years I would be shocked if "save money and just buy a house that comes up in that neighborhood even if I need to spend more on some remodel" wouldn't be the easier/cheaper route. Again, not trying to dogpile but just making sure you're thinking through all options.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

My BIL did the math once on how much he's saved living near his mother and being able to drop his daughter off with her. Just child care expenses, not even getting into poo poo like having a reliable baby sitter. It was loving insane. Like, they're putting a serious dent into college savings by just auto-depositing a fraction of the annual costs in their area for the child care they aren't shelling out for.

I think he said it was something like $15k/yr where he is? And that was the cheap version after she was no longer an infant - infant care is apparently gently caress off crazy expensive.

full time infant for us is $34K/yr

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the 2yo is just shy of $400/wk, at least her older brother is in kindergarten now. She has two more years before kindergarten.

Except he's T1D, so we're hitting that out of pocket max every year.

Really glad we bought pre pandemic, and lucked into an amazing school district with everyone on board for his 504 for his diabetes care. Our nurse didn't have experience with having a T1D kid, so they brought a nurse over from another school to get her up to speed on it (she's been a nurse for like 20 years, just not in the school).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sure am glad the Dependent Care FSA limits have kept track with rising childcare costs, going from $5,000 in 1986 to $5,000 in 2024.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Sure am glad the Dependent Care FSA limits have kept track with rising childcare costs, going from $5,000 in 1986 to $5,000 in 2024.

It would / should be $14k in 2024.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lockback posted:

. Again, not trying to dogpile but just making sure you're thinking through all options.

No, thank you, this kind of post is extremely helpful.

It's a weird rear end time to want to move. My wife and I have top level credit scores, decent salaries for the state we are in, and a fair bit if equity for the area but loan rates are absolute dogshit and most of the houses I see for sale near us are either mcmansiony plastic junk species houses or . . .let's say extremely "as is."

We've got to move though at some point because when I bought our current place years and years ago kids weren't in the picture so I took advantage of the "great house in bad school zone" premium. Now there's a six month old though and I'd sure as hell rather be in a good school zone than pay for private schools.

So, exploring my options.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 23, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a weird rear end time to want to move. My wife and I have top level credit scores, decent salaries for the state we are in, and a fair bit if equity for the area but loan rates are absolute dogshit and most of the houses I see for sale near us are either mcmansiony plastic junk species houses or . . .let's say extremely "as is."

It's important to realize that the current "dogshit" rates are still very low, historically. Everyone got used to near-zero Fed rates meaning cheap loans and mortgages, but that phenomenon is unique to the past ~15 years of US history.

While everyone is expecting the Fed to drop interest rates sometime in 2024, there's no obligation for them to do so, and it's always possible something will come up that makes them decide not to. Plus, they may not drop them by much, maybe only .05% or something.

In other words, I wouldn't necessarily expect to be able to get a better mortgage (cheaper monthly payment, or larger loan size for the same payment) if you wait.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Some school advice too (which, don't take this as gospel but just a guy who has kids 9 and 13 in an urban area):

You have a little more time than you think. Depending on how bad the schools are, most of the time K-2 mostly doesn't matter and your own engagement at home is WAY more important than school quality. When you get past 2nd grade it starts to matter more and more. Outside of "This school is not safe" I feel like you might have more flexibility than you think. Depends on the area but I'd personally would feel better having my kid in a sub-par Kindergarten or First grade then feel like I need to make a panic move.

Also, do the math. New construction or regular loan, you might spend more money per year on this new loan than you'd spend on a private school. I knew a couple people who got penny wise and pound foolish on that too. While I personally don't like the institution of private schools you also need to do the right things for you and your family.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In other words, I wouldn't necessarily expect to be able to get a better mortgage (cheaper monthly payment, or larger loan size for the same payment) if you wait.

Oh absolutely! Which is why I'm beginning to look now. But it's weighing a 3% and nearly paid off mortgage vs . . . Oww

Lockback posted:

Some school advice too (which, don't take this as gospel but just a guy who has kids 9 and 13 in an urban area):

You have a little more time than you think. Depending on how bad the schools are, most of the time K-2 mostly doesn't

Unfortunately the schools are really genuinely awful. Southern state . Different parts of my town have some of the best ranked schools in the country and some of the worst in the country, just an absolutely massive divide. And there ate various diversion and honor school type programs but you have to start young; other parents have been telling me about them but it's all absurdly complicated.

I'm not wholly against private schools in the abstract but a house is a much more concrete investment.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 23, 2024

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

either mcmansiony plastic junk species houses or . . .let's say extremely "as is."

Exciting opportunity rare dream you will love

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Epitope posted:

Exciting opportunity rare dream you will love

quote:

Discover the allure of history in this pre-Civil War mansion! . . .Immerse yourself in culture and history while enjoying modern conveniences like a new roof and replaced windows.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I saw a neat video of someone who found an old border "fort" (not like actual fortifications, it was a house-shaped building that the military used as a base of operations) that had been in continual inhabitation since its creation close to 200 years ago. They put a poo poo-ton of effort into restoring it while preserving as much of the original structure as possible. In the process they found a ton of Civil War-era relics, and noted that you could go digging basically anywhere in the yard and find something from a century+ ago.

I'm sure any Europeans reading this thread will think "only 200 years?" but that's pretty drat legit history for this country.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Reminds me of this snippet from a listing in my area I saw yesterday... as I imagine a bathroom taking up the full basement with separate entrance access.

Redfin listing posted:

The unfinished basement has a separate entrance and options for additional living space, potential rental, or second bathroom?!

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011
I am doing due diligence again on another potentially massive money pit.

The facts:
Asking price: $250k
Built in 1892
4000 sq ft main house
~2000 sq ft carriage house, includes second floor apartment. Listing doesn't give exact measurements for carriage house.
Third floor ballroom was converted to an apartment at some point.
County has it listed as multi family, but that may be an artifact of the carriage house and the home occupying multiple lots. Or the ballroom apartment.
In historic district, good location. Safe, near a magnet school, businesses moving in, etc.
Most of the roof replaced 6 years ago.
Old mechanicals
I think the PO died partway through renovation, but the name is hard to google.
Neighborhood sales prices in the past two years with square footage greater than 3000:
210k, 3100 sqft
260k, 3200 sqft
305k, 11500 sqft (was a church, I suspect the footage has something up with it making it an outlier)
325k, 3300 sqft
335k, 4500 sqft

My main goals are to find out exactly how much work is still undone and get estimates. If the work is mostly cosmetic, I'll consider buying. If not, I'll find something cheaper. This appears to be in better condition than the previous, but that is a very low bar.

Question: Has anyone disputed a property valuation before and how much of a nightmare is it? I've looked up the process in my state and it seems like an uphill battle. On the other hand, the property is valued by the county at close to 500k and lowering that to close to market value will save a lot of money. Nothing in the neighborhood can support that valuation, despite the recent upswing.

And, of course, I welcome any potential problems anyone finds. You all have been very helpful in general.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

pointlesspart posted:

The facts:
Built in 1892
4000 sq ft main house
~2000 sq ft carriage house, includes second floor apartment. Listing doesn't give exact measurements for carriage house.
Third floor ballroom was converted to an apartment at some point.
County has it listed as multi family, but that may be an artifact of the carriage house and the home occupying multiple lots. Or the ballroom apartment.
In historic district, good location. Safe, near a magnet school, businesses moving in, etc.
Most of the roof replaced 6 years ago.
Old mechanicals
I think the PO died partway through renovation, but the name is hard to google.
Neighborhood sales prices in the past two years with square footage greater than 3000:
210k, 3100 sqft
260k, 3200 sqft
305k, 11500 sqft (was a church, I suspect the footage has something up with it making it an outlier)
325k, 3300 sqft
335k, 4500 sqft

My main goals are to find out exactly how much work is still undone and get estimates. If the work is mostly cosmetic, I'll consider buying. If not, I'll find something cheaper. This appears to be in better condition than the previous, but that is a very low bar.

Question: Has anyone disputed a property valuation before and how much of a nightmare is it? I've looked up the process in my state and it seems like an uphill battle. On the other hand, the property is valued by the county at close to 500k and lowering that to close to market value will save a lot of money. Nothing in the neighborhood can support that valuation, despite the recent upswing.

And, of course, I welcome any potential problems anyone finds. You all have been very helpful in general.

This will be a massive money pit, beginning and end of story, as are all houses of this and older vintage. If you are into renovating old properties to their former glory / enjoy un-loving 132 years of Garys sins / have a burning desire to gut and rebuild the place in order to insulate, rewire, modernize generally, then I strongly suggest you buy it.

The likelihood that the work is "mostly cosmetic" is vanishingly unlikely and unless you are literally The Most Handy Person Alive you will be best friends with your local tradesmen, to the point of getting invited over for Christmas and serving as the godparent to their children. Some things that are guaranteed to be present in varying amounts:
  • Asbestos (is bestos!)
  • Knob and tube (insurers love this)
  • Lead paint ("wall candy")
Some people really love old houses though, like my sister and brother-in-law. They paid to gut and renovate a 1700's era farmhouse. It cost like $300k in pre-pandemic money, where they had a choice of contractors, and in the end they have a quirky old house with stairways that are hideously steep, dozens of places to smash your head on beams, and two children with mild lead poisoning from the lead dust that wasn't cleaned up properly.

It will cost an absolute fortune to keep at a comfortable temperature assuming it is in a place that gets cold.

Honestly, I would consider the property valuation the least of your concerns, your best bet to get an answer there is to give the local government a call and find out what the process looks like.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

skybolt_1 posted:

• Asbestos (is bestos!)
You forgot "ancient plumbing that is at least 70 years past its expected lifespan". Bonus option: steam radiators that are *also* connected to plumbing 70 years past.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

pointlesspart posted:

The facts:
Built in 1892

Let me put it this way: yesterday we discovered a very nasty problem with the plumbing in our house that is going to require something between high four figures and low five figures to fix. The sort of work that will likely require jackhammers and gutting a bathroom. The reason? Because plumbers in the 60s, when our house was built, thought it was good and awesome to bury copper pipe in cement.

Our house is 70 years old.

The house you are thinking of buying is almost twice that.

So, you know, hope you like expensive surprises.

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011

skybolt_1 posted:

This will be a massive money pit, beginning and end of story, as are all houses of this and older vintage. If you are into renovating old properties to their former glory / enjoy un-loving 132 years of Garys sins / have a burning desire to gut and rebuild the place in order to insulate, rewire, modernize generally, then I strongly suggest you buy it.

The likelihood that the work is "mostly cosmetic" is vanishingly unlikely and unless you are literally The Most Handy Person Alive you will be best friends with your local tradesmen, to the point of getting invited over for Christmas and serving as the godparent to their children. Some things that are guaranteed to be present in varying amounts:
  • Asbestos (is bestos!)
Some people really love old houses though, like my sister and brother-in-law. They paid to gut and renovate a 1700's era farmhouse. It cost like $300k in pre-pandemic money, where they had a choice of contractors, and in the end they have a quirky old house with stairways that are hideously steep, dozens of places to smash your head on beams, and two children with mild lead poisoning from the lead dust that wasn't cleaned up properly.

It will cost an absolute fortune to keep at a comfortable temperature assuming it is in a place that gets cold.

Honestly, I would consider the property valuation the least of your concerns, your best bet to get an answer there is to give the local government a call and find out what the process looks like.

I have committed to nothing and not yet viewed the property. I have also noped out of other properties for being too expensive to fix, but you don't know they'll be too expensive without looking. It has only been on the market for a week, worth checking out. The neighborhood also provides a ballparkish estimate on costs to get a historic home in livable condition in this area, since some of those homes are fix and flips. Of course, conditions in those homes may be different, this one could have unsalvageable problems, etc.

But on a more specific note, asbestos may not be an issue here. Large scale asbestos mining and construction only started in the 1880s and didn't really pick up till the 1900s, after 1910 for the middle classes. Granted, this was a rich man's home and asbestos was a fancy material, so he may have sprung for the good (bad) stuff. But it may still have been too early for that. Lead based paint and knob and tube are far more likely and I will still get everything tested for asbestos, if I even get that far. Later renovations can introduce it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You forgot "ancient plumbing that is at least 70 years past its expected lifespan". Bonus option: steam radiators that are *also* connected to plumbing 70 years past.

Fortunately, I am friends with two plumbers. Unfortunately, neither can see through the walls.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Let me put it this way: yesterday we discovered a very nasty problem with the plumbing in our house that is going to require something between high four figures and low five figures to fix. The sort of work that will likely require jackhammers and gutting a bathroom. The reason? Because plumbers in the 60s, when our house was built, thought it was good and awesome to bury copper pipe in cement.

Our house is 70 years old.

The house you are thinking of buying is almost twice that.

So, you know, hope you like expensive surprises.

I've owned a 1894 house since 2007 (a smaller victorian style but still 130 years old). Honestly I haven't done anything more than people I know who had houses that were built in the 60s and even 80s have had to do. Old houses don't have to be bad because it's likely at various points things were updated. One of the positives is how well built the "permanent" things are.

I'd be more concerned with the "4000 sqft" and historic district major renovation more than I would be about the age.

No one here will be able to tell you anything, but as an owner of an old house I wouldn't let the age by itself scare you away. I did replace a bunch of horizontal plumbing with pex (the vertical stuff is still fine), but if stuff is accessible that isn't terribly expensive. Given the age you may want to check if the main water line is lead or not. Most of that has been mitigated away over time but its worth checking.

Also see if you can find any covered features. I have an entire original brick little side wall covered in cheap drywall. A couple hundred in sealing and finishing and it's an amazing "pop".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
poo poo, my house is that old, 1/4 the size, and cost a bit more than that. It's definitely on the cheap side of this neighborhood and most of the houses are in that age range. A similar place a block away sold for like $100k more a couple of months ago (granted, it has an updated interior).

No regrets so far (I've only been here for half a year).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pointlesspart posted:

The facts:
Built in 1892
4000 sq ft main house

Why are you, someone who doesn't have the skill to do manjor rennovations, still looking at houses like this? It was a terrible idea last time, and it's even more terrible this time. This house is undoubtedly worth $500k in good shape, but it's just about $600k away from being a $500k house. Not counting the purchase price.

The old guy likely died after getting an estimate for fixing the foundation or replacing all the plumbing.

pointlesspart posted:

you don't know they'll be too expensive without looking.

Yes, you absolutely can. Like when a very old house is being sold this far under market.

pointlesspart posted:

But on a more specific note, asbestos may not be an issue here. Large scale asbestos mining and construction only started in the 1880s and didn't really pick up till the 1900s, after 1910 for the middle classes. Granted, this was a rich man's home and asbestos was a fancy material, so he may have sprung for the good (bad) stuff. But it may still have been too early for that. Lead based paint and knob and tube are far more likely and I will still get everything tested for asbestos, if I even get that far. Later renovations can introduce it.

Fortunately, I am friends with two plumbers. Unfortunately, neither can see through the walls.

Asbestos is absolutely an issue in every home that existed during the time asbestos materials were avilable and this house <checks notes> was around for the entire time.

It doesn't matter who you're friends with unless your budget is "restoration level". Looking at homes like this is for wealthy people who can afford toburn several hundred thousand dollars more than any conceivable resale value over the course of several years as their passion project - while they live elsewhere. It doesn't seem that's the budget you have.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
4000sqft on its own would be enough to scare me off, because that's a loving gigantic house. Not only will it cost more to heat/cool, but it's simply excessive volume that, for me, would just be 75+% empty. Do you have a plan to actually use that much space? And I don't mean the "oh we'll have three guest bedrooms and a theater room that we'll use once a year" kind of plan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unless that house is in San Diego, my gods the heating/cooling bills on a 19th century mansion

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just don't heat or cool the thing bing bong so simple

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just don't heat or cool the thing bing bong so simple
This is actually the solution the people who built my home came up with. Okay, there used to be a pot-bellied stove in the kitchen as well as the fireplace. Now there's just a fireplace. We live in a super-moderate climate, but there are a few 40-degree days in the winter where you really feel it. It only gets really cold at night, and we all have fluffy comforters.

I could of course retrofit something in, but it's waaaaay below fixing the @#$@#$ septic system, the roof, and putting in solar.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless that house is in San Diego, my gods the heating/cooling bills on a 19th century mansion

Can confirm. My sister in law has a ~3,000 sqft, beat-up house from 1830 in Rhode Island. Her heating bill is $800 every three weeks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is actually the solution the people who built my home came up with. Okay, there used to be a pot-bellied stove in the kitchen as well as the fireplace. Now there's just a fireplace. We live in a super-moderate climate, but there are a few 40-degree days in the winter where you really feel it. It only gets really cold at night, and we all have fluffy comforters.

I could of course retrofit something in, but it's waaaaay below fixing the @#$@#$ septic system, the roof, and putting in solar.

if you mostly need it to sleep a mini split in the bedroom is the way to go.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, those are pretty reasonable to install and even if your local electricity prices are high it's usually still really efficient/cost effective because you're heating/cooling locally. They are almost always a good bet for those situations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

quote:

quote:

I still keep in touch with the plumber and the HVAC guy, they both go to my church. Not the others, I will have to give them a call to check availability before bidding. Which is a bit away, I have not viewed the property yet and will not until next Friday (the first day the GC was available).

Ah, you're one of those guys

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ikr, guys that go to church just to meet plumbers, uhg

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

This house is just about $600k away from being a $500k house.

Good thread title candidate

Might have to use this over in the Nautical Insanity thread next time sometime brings up "hey I found this 50yo wooden sailing boat and it's FREE"

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Is it acceptable to leave exposed drywall screws in my sold house? I don’t have matching paint, so don’t really see what else can be done about them

To be fair we specifically included in the exclusions that this bathroom should would be removed and it’ll just be covered up if they replace the shelf

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm honestly curious if it took more time for you to write this post than it would have to just apply drywall spackle

pointlesspart
Feb 26, 2011
Well, everybody's freaking out but I gave this a low chance of being viable and, after viewing it, it is nonviable. The floor plan will not be easily subdividable and I don't need 3000+ square feet of personal space. You act like I already bought the place, instead of just doing a first pass look.

Other fun facts:
The lady who owns it broke her hip, she is still alive. Her husband died recently, unfortunately.
There is a shaft from the second floor to the basement, without any intermediary stairs or door to the first floor. No idea how that happened.
Asbestos free since 2003, according to the disclosures.

I'll go back to my normal property search. Most of the properties I've looked at in the past 6 weeks have not been construction projects, the construction projects are the ones which generate questions that I can't answer just from internet searches.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Hadlock posted:

I'm honestly curious if it took more time for you to write this post than it would have to just apply drywall spackle

I would have to go get the spackle hadlock

And is a bunch of non matching spackle really better then a potentially useable drywall anchor anyway

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbez posted:

I would have to go get the spackle hadlock

At least here in California you have to mud/spackle the drywall seams to meet fire code, unless you use the magic-loophole tape. Or maybe I'm wrong

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

spwrozek posted:

No, it's the reverse. We all love sleeping in cold rooms, and sleep better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

It should be exactly 72 at all times.