Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Glazius posted:

Look, John's statline is obviously Pluck +3 Grit +1 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +2. (advanced from Pluck +2 Grit +0 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +1) He is the man who cannot read the mood, or the book, but somehow does the right thing anyway.

His Pluck is at LEAST +5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

Look, John's statline is obviously Pluck +3 Grit +1 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +2. (advanced from Pluck +2 Grit +0 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +1) He is the man who cannot read the mood, or the book, but somehow does the right thing anyway.

I've been completely and thoroughly outnerded here but I'm fairly confident that whatever this is from, Dave's Rhyme stat is maxed out :whatup:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Classtoise posted:

Well, he can make most of his Pluck rolls booned (risk: shoosh) which does work out to about +5 on average.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nerd overload

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

But what is John's sepulchritude stat?

(Man I miss all the gamey-wamey stat bullshit of Problem Sleuth and early Homestuck)

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

Wait wait, what system mixes WIS and AGI? Wouldn't you want Wisdom and Dexterity (Dungeons & Dragons) or Perception and Agility (SPECIAL/Fallout)?
Wait, what there mentioned mixing WIS and AGI? John learning more about how is wind powers work isn't wisdom. It's just knowledge of how to dodge better. Is there a system that being wise means you dodge stuff better? Outside of magic/mind effecting spells kind of thing.

...Am I just missing some joke here or something?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kgummy posted:

Wait, what there mentioned mixing WIS and AGI? John learning more about how is wind powers work isn't wisdom. It's just knowledge of how to dodge better. Is there a system that being wise means you dodge stuff better? Outside of magic/mind effecting spells kind of thing.

What system as in game system. D&D's stat system is STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHA (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) - there is no "AGI" (Agility) - other games that tend to use it usually don't have a wisdom stat, but something else instead.

SPECIAL is Fallout's system, stands for Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, Luck

Most are 1:1, Endurance is the same idea as Constitution, Perception is the closest to Wisdom. (In D&D Perception is a skill, which is derived from the Wisdom stat. :v:)

:goonsay:

(They were criticizing the other person's reference)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 6, 2015

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kgummy posted:

Well, Monks in D&D tend to gain bonus AC from their WIS stat, and AC is either/or as far as "Dodging/Soaking" goes, depending on the glass (a paladin clearly deflects or takes the hit, a Rogue sidesteps, etc.)

And yeah John learning to do the Windy Thing better is completely separate from his stats. That's like gaining a level in Heir; he just gets Uncanny Dodge or some sort of Feat that allows him to Oh my god I'm a virgin again.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Kgummy posted:

The joke here is that RPGs are terrible at describing any work of fiction, but look at how we can jam square pegs into these round holes if we use enough whale blubber to grease it!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

The joke here is that RPGs are terrible at describing any work of fiction, but look at how we can jam square pegs into these round holes if we use enough whale blubber to grease it!

Vriska should do. :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Oxyclean posted:

But what is John's sepulchritude stat?

(Man I miss all the gamey-wamey stat bullshit of Problem Sleuth and early Homestuck)
Me too. That stuff was really funny, remained internally consistent through the whole comic and spoke to the RPG nerd inside of me. Speaking of which...

Mystic Mongol posted:

Counterpoint: FATE and GURPS exist.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Vriska's the type of person who's One Unique Thing is several paragraphs long.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Could Vriska steal Clover's luck? Maybe he is just too lucky to have such a thing happen to him.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Could Vriska steal Clover's luck? Maybe he is just too lucky to have such a thing happen to him.

Vriska is just three Clovers in a troll onesie.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Blackheart posted:

Obviously she'd have to already have more luck than him before it would work

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Vriska is just three Clovers in a troll onesie.

Reminder that this was once a theory floated on the SomethingAwful Forums:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Classtoise posted:

But what about his Luck stat? And how do they synergize?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fucknag posted:

But what about his Luck stat? And how do they synergize?

It depends how full he finds the apple juice bottle.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bobulus posted:

It could still happen depending on how badly John fucks up the timeline.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bobulus posted:

OK this whole D&D stat derail has been worth it for coughing up this image

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Tunicate posted:

It depends how full he finds the apple juice bottle.

And even more on how full he leaves it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So

Gamzee's broken now.

And maybe dead but I doubt it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

John's prankster's gambit must be at an all time low. Also this update is the best and I really hope we don't cut away again before FL1P.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Merry Christmas, I brought you a nasty trash clown.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gamzee's waiting for Cal to make a contribution, but the puppet doesn't know what the gently caress either.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Holy gently caress, Terezi

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Gamzee saw John.

Gamzee can never be killed, and hoo boy does he know how to hold a grudge. This might eventually lead to something bad.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gamzee could probably never be killed, sure, but that was before John started retconning things. :smug:

Then again, he IS a rascally clown...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
John is so disappointed in being asked to go through with this scrub-tier prank.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frionnel posted:

Holy gently caress, Terezi

:allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is the most satisfying update in recent memory god drat

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Amazing update.

I haven't actually laughed at Homestuck in ages, Gamzee's expressions were priceless.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hm, Terezi was looking at the record player when John came in, maybe he got there just before she scratched the CD, so we can avoid glitchy bullshit for FL1P and this timeline won't have to go through the Scratch Intermission those lucky motherfuckers.

e: yeah it's just before she found and ruined the CD.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 7, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This update does more to validate the year-long hiatus than the whole of Game Over. John should spend the rest of the comic doing nothing but fixing anticlimaxes and making people do things we shouted at them to do years ago.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
bless this mess

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

sirtommygunn posted:

and this timeline won't have to go through the Scratch Intermission those unfortunate suckers.

Fixed that for you, no thanks necessary.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"This was the funniest loving update in a long rear end time."

:vince:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Tollymain posted:

this is the most satisfying update in recent memory god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Great update. hussie is knows what he's doing and is very good at it. Excellent payoff years in the making.