Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wrapping up 2017 with Catch My Soul [aka Santa Fe Satan] and Liquid Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Surprised there are people who don't like GOTG 2, its one of the better if not best Marvel movies, it has actual stakes, pay off and a pretty good villain.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It's not even the best 2017 movie that features Fleetwood Mac's The Chain in a climactic scene

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm still chuckling about the Hardware Wars gag in The Last Jedi. that is a deep cut.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Spiderman Homecoming? That movie is trash.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Death By The Blues posted:

It's a very unremarkable movie wrapped around a good Michael Keaton performance.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Batman Returns is probably the best Superhero film I have seen this year for the first time. It some how manages to capture both campy and dark and Pfeiffers performance is incredibly underrated (she does a better a job then Nicholsons Joker).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really loved Homecoming a lot. It really did a great job of capturing Peter as a dumbass goofy kid that is over his head and made that the majority if the movie with the more capital M Marvel stuff only creeping in from time to time. Probably my favorite MCU movie.

Speaking of favorites, after sitting on it for FAR too long I finally watched The Florida Project and loving adored it. Probably my favorite movie of the year.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

More or less, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the content I'm currently most interested in seeing from the MCU is a short film about Friday and Karen having a girl's night out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Love that one too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

It's a very unremarkable movie wrapped around a good Michael Keaton performance.

but enough about Mr. Mom

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Batman Returns is probably the best Superhero film I have seen this year for the first time. It some how manages to capture both campy and dark and Pfeiffers performance is incredibly underrated (she does a better a job then Nicholsons Joker).

Hell yes

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
The only thing vaguely interesting and/or good about Homecoming is Keatons jacket.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eh, the only superhero movie I watched this year besides Wonder Woman was Argoman: The Fantastic Superman

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

She's great. I see Michelle Pfeiffer and Michael Keaton as really similar -- they're basically both character actors that happen to have enough talent and charisma to carry films by themselves.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Happy New Year to all of you cretins.

Try to avoid a man in a burgundy jacket spinning around a corner and putting an axe in your chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fN-Xjpd-qE

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My best of this thread for 2017:
Thread king and queen goes to Lil Mama and Jenny
Best saga goes to Dickeye settling down
Most improved poster goes to Lurdiak
Best closure goes to CPL for wearing the shorts (that wasn't '16, was it?)
Most heartwarming goes to Lil Mama reconnecting with his love

Overall a decent year, one lacking the highs of Locked In A Crackhouse but also largely without drama.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Overall a decent year, one lacking the highs of Locked In A Crackhouse but also largely without drama.

"The lock does nothing without a key" followed by SCH's meltdown in E/N is some of my favorite Internet weirdness ever.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

precision posted:

i'm still chuckling about the Hardware Wars gag in The Last Jedi. that is a deep cut.

The what now?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My friend just hung up this beaut in the middle.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The firework pollution is really bad this year. There is no wind so the dust and smoke isn't going anywhere.

When driving home the cars in front of me would disappear into the mist after a few meters and becoming red lights floating in the haze. I couldn't even see my building when driving past it. Being outside stung the eyes and irritated the lungs.

I think our national obsession with fireworks may have gotten slightly out of hand.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maarak posted:

The what now?

The "flying iron" is a callback to Hardware Wars.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm finishing out the year in style with Police Story. Next up: Mad Max

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ugh, I just made one of the nastiest cocktails. Should have stuck to a simple martini.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Edit. Didn't realize it'd show the tweet with ending spoilers for The Wire.

Check out David Simon's twitter for an interesting twist in auteur theory.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 1, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Gonna check off this year with Creep 2, hopefully it'll be a more promising follow-up to a rightfully venerated 2014 film than the merely pretty good John Wick 2.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Timby posted:

The "flying iron" is a callback to Hardware Wars.

Somehow I had never heard of this, but luckily YouTube has it:

https://youtu.be/0ymFxkFfIhU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking of that sorta, I’m watching Looper again and it’s great. I love Rian Johnson and his lo fi tricks. Here’s a blinking thingy that just lights up, have Bruce Willis convulse.

We need telekinetics. Hang objects from the ceiling/car window lol.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1D2FuZYqw

Happy New Year, Beast-coast goons.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

On Christmas morning I found out my family's neighbor of 35 years, who my family's always been close with, died of brain cancer. A few minutes later, we welcomed my youngest cousin's first child into this world. I kinda feel like that's my life in Chicago in a nutshell. Incredible moments of life and the most heartbreaking tragedies you can imagine. I wouldn't trade my life for anything in the world, but goddamn is it one crazy loving rollercoaster. And that's not even scratching the surface of the past week. Happy New Years, sincerely. You guys are one of the lights in this crazy rear end abyss. I hope you guys are living it up, because I'm rooting for each and every one of you.

Like Scarface Nas, The world is yours.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 1, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

on the one hand, i think chris pratt losing all that weight to star in guardians of the galaxy is inspiring and led to a great movie and is probably healthier for him, but also parks and rec got a lot worse after he left to film Guardians and probably long term it contributed to his marriage failing

thoughts?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

also every time harris wittels shows up i get a little bummed out but it is a testament to his person that he probably would enjoy being remembered as the guy who got on the wall for filling up the cup at the sperm bank

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Happy New Years, i love yall and also i think im getting pink eye

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liquid Sky is dope. More movies should have monologues lit entirely with blacklights.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
if y'all are bored I'm streaming a Fire Pro Wrestling World tourney (no commentary)

https://www.twitch.tv/fcwwrestling

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm drinking a flavorless mush I call rootmarm.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Happy new year CineD!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching new years evil and drinking gin.

Hope everyone is enjoying the night. To 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEARS CINEMAD! I LOVE YOU ALL

• Locked thread