Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WordPress is just the framework you buld your site around. A developer could spend weeks or months setting up "just a WordPress site".

http://www.sfexaminer.com is a WordPress site. Would you say it was worth 15k to set up that site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like poo poo guys, can we just trust that I would not be outraged about a site that looks good?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I don't know, you were previously outraged that a site wasn't made up of static HTML files so maybe your barometer for outrage is broken?

There's a whole WordPress thread in COBOL, btw. If you have more "real" questions about WordPress you can likely get some good answers there. However as a heads up, "Did these dudes gently caress over my buddy for $15k" type questions may not go over too well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

turtlicious i loving love your av

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kedo posted:

I don't know, you were previously outraged that a site wasn't made up of static HTML files so maybe your barometer for outrage is broken?

There's a whole WordPress thread in COBOL, btw. If you have more "real" questions about WordPress you can likely get some good answers there. However as a heads up, "Did these dudes gently caress over my buddy for $15k" type questions may not go over too well.

Yeah I'm getting that.

FCKGW posted:

turtlicious i loving love your av

Thank you, it used to link to a thread, but it doesn't anymore.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I rolled my ankle last weekend. Will exercising other parts of my body slow the recovery of my ankle.

For instance, if I do some weight lifting my colloquial knowledge is that process causes your muscles to tear somewhat then be healed into slightly stronger muscles. My question is whether the body has to split resources healing my ankle and the muscles "injured" from weightlifting, or if I'm just misunderstanding how the body works.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just eat more protein to make up for it. Also make doubly sure the lifts you do aren't using the ankle in any way. For example, a deadlift or a squat uses the ankles for stabilization. A bench press, you're probably fine.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\
Thanks!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm a Canadian that will be travelling to the US in 3 weeks for business by air for 5 days.

Where exactly do I get a B1/2 visa? I've been googling for like an hour but I don't see any real answer.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 4, 2016

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

turbomoose posted:

I rolled my ankle last weekend. Will exercising other parts of my body slow the recovery of my ankle.

For instance, if I do some weight lifting my colloquial knowledge is that process causes your muscles to tear somewhat then be healed into slightly stronger muscles. My question is whether the body has to split resources healing my ankle and the muscles "injured" from weightlifting, or if I'm just misunderstanding how the body works.

If you mess around with rehabbing an ankle, you can have that problem for years. And you could end up a shuffling 50 year old who has trouble maneuvering around their own house.

Take a break from everything that might cause you to further tear what has already been torn. Your ankle is unstable, and simply walking can cause further injury.

Once you have recovered, then think about the fact that you need to strengthen the supporting muscles in the ankle to make up for things.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\

pupdive posted:

If you mess around with rehabbing an ankle, you can have that problem for years. And you could end up a shuffling 50 year old who has trouble maneuvering around their own house.

Take a break from everything that might cause you to further tear what has already been torn. Your ankle is unstable, and simply walking can cause further injury.

Once you have recovered, then think about the fact that you need to strengthen the supporting muscles in the ankle to make up for things.

I'm not trying squats here, was just wondering about some seated upper body type exercises that would not have any pressure on the ankle at all. Nothing crazy here, just wanted to know if strain on other parts of my body completely separate from my ankle (like bench press or curls or w/e) could affect the healing process of my ankle anyway.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Methanar posted:

I'm a Canadian that will be travelling to the US in 3 weeks for business by air for 5 days.

Where exactly do I get a B1/2 visa? I've been googling for like an hour but I don't see any real answer.

See: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/canada-bermuda.html

You don't need a visa, unless for some reason (usually criminal record) you've been deemed "inadmissible".

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Methanar posted:

I went from Canada to the US for 4 days for business reasons and all I needed was a valid passport.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it okay for me to save photos I find on Panoramio for drive storage, as long as they are also listed as showing up on google earth? (For example a myriad of photos showing pictures of all the regions of a country?)

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Just to elaborate a bit more on what's already been said, Canada is one of the countries in the United States' 'Visa Waiver Program.' Essentially, citizens of Canada can come to the US for business / pleasure on a temporary basis, and vice versa, without the need for a visa. You would need a visa for certain reasons like coming to the US to marry a US citizen, study, or employment (where you would be paid by a company in the US). One thing to note is you have to have valid ESTA approval before you travel, so you may need to look into that. Here is more info on the VWP program: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html, and here is more info on ESTA: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

Other countries with similar agreements with the US include: Andorra, Hungary, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Portugal. Austria, Ireland, San Marino, Belgium, Italy, Singapore, Brunei, Japan, Slovakia, Chile, Latvia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, South Korea, Denmark, Lithuania, Spain, Estonia, Luxembourg, Sweden, Finland, Malta, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Taiwan, Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Greece and New Zealand

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Marathanes posted:

Just to elaborate a bit more on what's already been said, Canada is one of the countries in the United States' 'Visa Waiver Program.' Essentially, citizens of Canada can come to the US for business / pleasure on a temporary basis, and vice versa, without the need for a visa. You would need a visa for certain reasons like coming to the US to marry a US citizen, study, or employment (where you would be paid by a company in the US). One thing to note is you have to have valid ESTA approval before you travel, so you may need to look into that. Here is more info on the VWP program: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html, and here is more info on ESTA: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta

Other countries with similar agreements with the US include: Andorra, Hungary, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Portugal. Austria, Ireland, San Marino, Belgium, Italy, Singapore, Brunei, Japan, Slovakia, Chile, Latvia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, South Korea, Denmark, Lithuania, Spain, Estonia, Luxembourg, Sweden, Finland, Malta, Switzerland, France, Monaco, Taiwan, Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Greece and New Zealand

While it's true that Canadians do not need a visa, Canada is not part of the same visa waiver program as those other countries and Canadians do not need to get ESTA approval before traveling to the US for business or vacation. See: US Customs and Border Protection: Do I need to apply for ESTA if...?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

On Safari on Ipad I suddenly got a screen that tells me I'm in privacy mode, but there's no way to close this window, open a new tab, or enter an adress, locking me out of Safari.

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

Baron Porkface posted:

On Safari on Ipad I suddenly got a screen that tells me I'm in privacy mode, but there's no way to close this window, open a new tab, or enter an adress, locking me out of Safari.

Do you have a bar at the bottom of the screen with 3 options "Private" "+" and "Done"?

That's what shows on my iphone when I go into private mode in safari. "Private" button should be white with black text indicating Private mode is enabled, tap it go back to regular browsing, tap "Done" to get rid of bar and browse in private mode, "+" probably adds a new tab...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Florida Betty posted:

While it's true that Canadians do not need a visa, Canada is not part of the same visa waiver program as those other countries and Canadians do not need to get ESTA approval before traveling to the US for business or vacation. See: US Customs and Border Protection: Do I need to apply for ESTA if...?

This would make sense. I just tried going through the etsa process and Canada was not a valid entry for country of citizenship.

So I should be able to just buy a ticket, board the plane and have no issues?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Methanar posted:

This would make sense. I just tried going through the etsa process and Canada was not a valid entry for country of citizenship.

So I should be able to just buy a ticket, board the plane and have no issues?

Yes, unless you have a drunk driving conviction or something in your background. Or if you do something that would make them suspicious that you're trying to stay in the US, like you mentioning to the customs agent that you're looking for a job and marrying your American girlfriend. But it's not something you need to actively worry about. Just don't forget your passport.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I am trying to find a quote by an economist. He said, essentially, that anyone who brought up potential problems with the Euro during the early stages of its inception was never again invited to the meetings. I feel it was Paul DeGrauwe who said that, but I am not 100%. I've been googling for hours and I can't find it. Help?

VVVVVVVVV YES!! Thanks a bunch!

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 5, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

I am trying to find a quote by an economist. He said, essentially, that anyone who brought up potential problems with the Euro during the early stages of its inception was never again invited to the meetings. I feel it was Paul DeGrauwe who said that, but I am not 100%. I've been googling for hours and I can't find it. Help?

Possibly you're referencing this?

quote:

After attending one European Commission meeting in the early 1990s for a report to trumpet the gains the euro would bring, De Grauwe said he and other skeptics were not invited back.

http://reut.rs/K4BtV4

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Can I use a dremel to trim my nosehair?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Only if you're not a complete wuss.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Feral_Shofixti posted:

depends on how much you care about collateral damage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What's the advantage, either on the consumer, vendor or credit card ends, of these new fangled credit cards with chips in em at points of sale that you stick partly into a slot instead of swiping?

oh lord i just used "new fangled" without even a hint of irony and in the middle of a "WHAT IS THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY" post :corsair:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The idea that cards with chips that you partly stick into a slot is "new fangled" in any way is laughable.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

A PIN is harder to guess than a signature is to forge? I'm sure there's more to it than just that, but that's probably one of the main reasons.

I don't really feel like they're new anymore, Canada's pretty much completely adopted them and the last time I had to swipe/sign with my credit card I was in Florida and it really caught me off guard.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The laughable part is we in the states don't have "Chip and PIN", we just have "Chip". You stick it in, but there's no security on it at all beyond that; if someone steals your card, it's just as easy to use it as before.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I haven't used a pin unless the transaction was over $100 for about two years. PayWave and PayPass enabled POS machines basically have 100% uptake rate here in Australia, even in remote and outback places.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have some apple cider in my fridge from 3 thanksgivings ago. It still smells and tastes fine. How is it not a sour alcoholic or vinegary mess? Is it because its pasteurized?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Captain Novolin posted:

depends on how much you care about collateral damage

I mean, I'll use the smallest piece, and do it in short bursts, should be OK, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Enourmo posted:

The laughable part is we in the states don't have "Chip and PIN", we just have "Chip". You stick it in, but there's no security on it at all beyond that; if someone steals your card, it's just as easy to use it as before.

I guess the presence of a PIN in other countries is the difference, yeah. Here in the states I still have to sign over a certain value, closest thing to a PIN I have (at least on the credit card) is having to enter my ZIP code at gas stations.

Memento posted:

The idea that cards with chips that you partly stick into a slot is "new fangled" in any way is laughable.

look its been a long bad day :saddowns:

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Someone just told me that "sweet summer child" is a phrase that didn't originate with Game of Thrones but is a common Southern saying. Is that actually true?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I dunno about being "common" in the South but it is sure as all hell way older than GoT

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My new colleague has accidentally and entirely through no fault of her own caused an annoying problem this morning, leading to the long-established conference call PIN that we use for meetings having to be changed. This necessitates updating all future Outlook calendar bookings to include the new PIN in the meeting notes.

Before I ask the admin team to manually go through everyone's calendar for the next year and edit the PIN, is there any way to do this in a smarter fashion? Some kind of mass-update tool in Outlook, for example?

Edit: obviously any recurring meetings need only have one in the series be updated so that's going to be the majority of events past 6 months out.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ciaphas posted:

What's the advantage, either on the consumer, vendor or credit card ends, of these new fangled credit cards with chips in em at points of sale that you stick partly into a slot instead of swiping?

oh lord i just used "new fangled" without even a hint of irony and in the middle of a "WHAT IS THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY" post :corsair:

The chip is actually a little microprocessor and when you stick it in it and the machine talk to each other to verify each other and confirm the purchase, theoretically making it safer; it's similar to things like Apple Pay where a unique number is generated for each transaction to represent your cc# without handing over your real cc#. You can't make a fake reader to swipe a chip like you can a mag stripe, although there are some attack vectors that could be employed against chips.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I saw this line is a story today:

"the women were paid four times less than the men"

Wouldn't it make more sense to say, "the women were paid one-fourth (or one quarter) as much as the men"?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there a word for an innovation that changes an industry? Say, how the iPhone came out of nowhere, dramatically shifted the smartphone market, and completely changed how we interact with our devices, each other, and our world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I saw this line is a story today:

"the women were paid four times less than the men"

Wouldn't it make more sense to say, "the women were paid one-fourth (or one quarter) as much as the men"?

Yes.

feedmyleg posted:

Is there a word for an innovation that changes an industry? Say, how the iPhone came out of nowhere, dramatically shifted the smartphone market, and completely changed how we interact with our devices, each other, and our world?

I've been hearing disrupt a lot.